AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-08, 13:02   Link #81
auriya

Is Sir Isaac a teacher? Haven't played the game, so I don't really know...

Ever noticed that in many anime/manga, high school students seem to have a sort of heirarchy? With unusually powerful student leaders? For example, in Utena, Tenjou Tenge, Maria-sama ga Miteru, and of course Meine Liebe too... In contrast, in my high school, which I guess is the average suburban American public school, the student government does nothing except prom arrangements and there aren't really any students that hold a lot of influence.

The OP is alright. In all honesty I rarely pay much attention to music in anime; it didn't actively annoy me, so I think it's okay.
Old 2004-11-08, 13:58   Link #82
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
This is probably going to sound a little weird, but has anyone else noticed that Bee Train is particularly good at animating blinking? In both Avenger and Madlax, and now Meine Liebe, the characters' winking, blinking, etc. looks unusually smooth.
Yeah, I know what you mean... in other animes in general the characters only blink when they're surprised, so they use the blinking more as a way of portraing a certain reaction than the realistic act of blinking to water the eyes. In Bee-Train animes, they use a natural blinking, so characters, when intensively looking at something for a while, will randomly blink, just like how it happens with real people. At least I think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auriya
Ever noticed that in many anime/manga, high school students seem to have a sort of heirarchy? With unusually powerful student leaders? For example, in Utena, Tenjou Tenge, Maria-sama ga Miteru, and of course Meine Liebe too...
Well, I only watched utena, and the most powerfull students there were those of the student council... In Meine Liebe I still don't get what's the deal with Ludwig that makes him so damn influent... but I've mentioned before that some of them wear capes and some of them not... maybe it has something to do with it...

Last edited by MartAnimE; 2004-11-08 at 14:12.
Old 2004-11-08, 20:25   Link #83
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartAnimE
Quote:
This is probably going to sound a little weird, but has anyone else noticed that Bee Train is particularly good at animating blinking? In both Avenger and Madlax, and now Meine Liebe, the characters' winking, blinking, etc. looks unusually smooth.
Yeah, I know what you mean... in other animes in general the characters only blink when they're surprised, so they use the blinking more as a way of portraing a certain reaction than the realistic act of blinking to water the eyes. In Bee-Train animes, they use a natural blinking, so characters, when intensively looking at something for a while, will randomly blink, just like how it happens with real people. At least I think so...
The eyes always seem to be key with Mashimo. It's like a whole other angle to the story gets told when you just watch everyone's eyes. And the more natural the eyes behave, the more alive the characters become. Even in .hack//SIGN, the spark behind the eyes keeps me interested.

(The eyes in Noir were still the best, though... but I'm biased )
Old 2004-11-09, 01:33   Link #84
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartAnimE
Well, I only watched utena, and the most powerfull students there were those of the student council... In Meine Liebe I still don't get what's the deal with Ludwig that makes him so damn influent... but I've mentioned before that some of them wear capes and some of them not... maybe it has something to do with it...
well, in Meine Liebe it's actually understandable, since these "elite students" are to be the future ministers of the country after they graduate, so I guess they are practicing their leadership in the school in preparation of administering the country.
Old 2004-11-09, 07:57   Link #85
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, in Meine Liebe it's actually understandable, since these "elite students" are to be the future ministers of the country after they graduate, so I guess they are practicing their leadership in the school in preparation of administering the country.
So, Meine Liebe's school is a school for politics? "ministers of the country" you say... was that mentioned on the episode? cuz I was wondering, what was the narrator saying at the begining of the episode... I got the impression they were providing some important background notes for the story but the only thing I got was that it took place in an island of Europe... I was also wondering what do the lyrics in the OP/ED say. Cuz, imo, the quality of an anime also relates to the context between the lyrics and the story... if they were just singing totally unrelated stuff it would just sound stupid...
Old 2004-11-09, 08:02   Link #86
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

yup, right at the start of the episode, it says something that it's a country lead by a wise king but the true power is held by the ministers, and those students are candidates for future ministers and they will decide the future of the country. Also Ludwig and Orpherus are basically arguing because of different political ideals.
Old 2004-11-09, 09:03   Link #87
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

So, does anyone want to take bets on when Mashimo will introduce the requisite mysterious, visually innovative flashback sequence that's going to get re-used about fifteen million times over the course of the show?

More seriously, I've actually gotten used to the director's fondness for flashbacks... I'm just curious as to whether he's going to use this device in Meine Liebe as heavily as he has used it in other shows (such as Noir and Madlax).
Old 2004-11-09, 09:25   Link #88
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
So, does anyone want to take bets on when Mashimo will introduce the requisite mysterious, visually innovative flashback sequence that's going to get re-used about fifteen million times over the course of the show?

More seriously, I've actually gotten used to the director's fondness for flashbacks... I'm just curious as to whether he's going to use this device in Meine Liebe as heavily as he has used it in other shows (such as Noir and Madlax).
Judging by the preview, the next episode will be full with flashbacks already, since we can see a lot of scenes with Orpheus and Eduard as kids... this episode seems to be more related to Eduard's childhood though, but it's kinda hard to tell by a "next episode preview"... Well, flashbacks apart, I'm already surprised none of this guys is missing their memories
Old 2004-11-09, 17:18   Link #89
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:

And don't forget Avenger! Although I'm not sure whether Mashimo directed Avenger, but it was a Bee Train show for sure. The flashback sequence was quite an awesome one, but it became very overused indeed.

I still love that show to bits, though.
Old 2004-11-09, 17:42   Link #90
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
Although I'm not sure whether Mashimo directed Avenger, but it was a Bee Train show for sure.
Yup, Mashimo again. And .hack//SIGN; plenty of flashbacks there too. I think there were even flashbacks in Popliocrois Story, but I don't remember... Still trying to get a hold of "Irresponsible Captain Tylor", but that was pre-Bee Train, so who knows...

In the OP, there seems to be some "as-children" shots of each of the characters (or at least most of them); including what looks like some child abuse for one of them (can't remember which one; I'll have to take notes when I watch it again. ). Bound to be something dredged up in flashback form, anyhow.

Instead of the pocketwatch (or dogtags...), it looks like Orpherus has his sister's locket as the trigger for his flashbacks. Well, recurring dreams, at least.

My guess is that the past will weigh heavily on these characters' motivations, and that the overall Japanese storytelling style of "start in the middle, and work your way in both directions" will mean flashbacks-a-plenty for each character. Whether or not there's a centrally-themed repeat flashback is tougher to say.

But like I said in the review thread, the "plot" will be exposed by episode 3, and then by episode 10, we'll find out that wasn't really the plot at all but just a big tease to distract you from the real plot.
Old 2004-11-09, 19:55   Link #91
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
And don't forget Avenger! Although I'm not sure whether Mashimo directed Avenger, but it was a Bee Train show for sure. The flashback sequence was quite an awesome one, but it became very overused indeed.

I still love that show to bits, though.
I loved avenger too... I found it so extremelly cool!!! And it almost made me laugh sometimes because of the exageratted long dramatic silences or one word sentences... but when they played that song "Koufuku No Zouhei"... so cool it can't be helped... and you gotta love that "kill me if you can" thing... also just noticed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini 8.5
Instead of the pocketwatch (or dogtags...), it looks like Orpherus has his sister's locket as the trigger for his flashbacks.
Layla Ashley had the dog tags too...

Quote:
In the OP, there seems to be some "as-children" shots of each of the characters (or at least most of them); including what looks like some child abuse for one of them (can't remember which one; I'll have to take notes when I watch it again. ). Bound to be something dredged up in flashback form, anyhow.
Yes, I've noticed that too, judging by the OP, Eduard has this thing involving a childhood friend of him and I believe they'll talk about it in the next episode, then we can see little Camus, nothing weird there except that he is unbearably cute ^^ nothing weird about the kendo guy either, he doesn't appear as a child, then we can see Sir Isaac and he's the one with the traumatic child abuse past, we can also see Ludwig as a child but nothing more of relevance and the big trouble with Orpheus seems to be his sister...

Quote:
But like I said in the review thread, the "plot" will be exposed by episode 3, and then by episode 10, we'll find out that wasn't really the plot at all but just a big tease to distract you from the real plot.
lol It's funny how you put it all so formulatic... Let's see if you have figured this out altready... I'm still wondering what will be the plot... I think Sir Isaac might be the real bad guy on this show... don't ask me why, he just has that "knows it all" smile...
Old 2004-11-10, 03:35   Link #92
Budi

Send a message via ICQ to Budi
Talking

The anime will be very different from the game.

The main character of the game is a girl, and she meets those five lads one by one and building relationship with them. This is not a hentai game, as the rating is for all ages...

There's no Isaac or Robertine, but there are 3 female friends (Wilhelmine, Marin, August) who u have make friends with or they'll disturb u and screw ur date...I haven't finish the game yet, but I'd like to see the anime.
Old 2004-11-10, 10:28   Link #93
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budi
There's no Isaac...
I was under the impression that he's a secret character in the game... but this is only hearsay, and I haven't actually played it myself, so I guess you should take my words with a grain of salt.
Old 2004-11-10, 11:00   Link #94
Pandora
Poisoned

Quote:
I was under the impression that he's a secret character in the game... but this is only hearsay, and I haven't actually played it myself, so I guess you should take my words with a grain of salt.
Yup, Sir Issac is a secret character in the game.
Old 2004-11-10, 22:02   Link #95
domino
デレデレ

Ooh, I can't wait to see the fansub for this series. ^^ I've heard nothing but good about the series (especially the animation).

For the fun of it, I took a few screenshots from the GBA game that the anime is based on:

Spoiler for GBA game pictures:

But hmm... this game is REALLY old and really obscure (doesn't seem like it was very popular), so I wonder how it managed to become an anime... ^^; (and a PRETTY anime, too!)
Old 2004-11-10, 22:39   Link #96
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
But hmm... this game is REALLY old and really obscure (doesn't seem like it was very popular)
I believe you never frequented any Kaori Yuki forums or mailing lists ?

True, the game was released in Japan something like... only one month after nintendo began to sell their Game Boy Advance (march 2001 ???), but isn't it one of the prettiest thing ever produced on this console ?
Old 2004-11-11, 08:31   Link #97
Pandora
Poisoned

Oh, and the game has been ported to PS2.
http://www.konamijpn.com/products/meineliebe/

Can't wait to watch the anime. By the way, domino, where did you get those screenshots?
Old 2004-11-11, 16:51   Link #98
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora
Oh, and the game has been ported to PS2.
http://www.konamijpn.com/products/meineliebe/

Can't wait to watch the anime. By the way, domino, where did you get those screenshots?
The screenshots are from the GBA game, which I *cough* happen to have on my computer (am I allowed to say that here? ^^; ). I'm curious what they'll add to the PS2 version... (since the original was fun, but kinda limited... but then again, I can hardly read any Japanese at all).

And about Isaac: yes, he IS in the game, but from what I gathered, he is not a student at the school the heroine/other boys attend. In the game, you can only communicate with Isaac through writing letters.
Old 2004-11-11, 23:50   Link #99
Budi

Send a message via ICQ to Budi
Quote:
And about Isaac: yes, he IS in the game, but from what I gathered, he is not a student at the school the heroine/other boys attend. In the game, you can only communicate with Isaac through writing letters.
My Japanese is very limited too. I own the PS2 version of the game, but haven't advance much (play it until Feb 1936) because I was having my exams and I just finished my exam today.

They just released the PS2 version mid of this year, so I had no idea that it's old.
Old 2004-11-12, 13:01   Link #100
Vicious-angel

Mein Liebe Manga

Apparently Kaori Yuki is drawing a manga for Mein Leibe at the same time the series is being animated. God I cant wait for this series/manga/game
Closed Thread