4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-09, 17:14   Link #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyaNakagawa View Post
You need to read those. Some of them explain stuff that SHAFT did not animate. They are not really subliminal though...
Thanks! This changes a lot for me. I honestly never expected it to be this relevant. Always saw it as a tone setter of some sort. It just seems like a really strange mechanism, because it forces the viewer to pause. Very unnatural towards the 'viewing' experience. Not that I'm complaining, as this adds 'additional' relevant content towards a show I enjoy. Guess this gives me an excuse to rewatch Bakemonogatari again.
340.29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 21:03   Link #62
Shadow5YA

Just making sure, but they did say that Kiss-shot was burned, right? Because her skin looked flawless to me...
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 21:15   Link #63
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Just making sure, but they did say that Kiss-shot was burned, right? Because her skin looked flawless to me...
Here is a recommendation to anyone that wants to know what the hell is going on in this arc. Go to the light novel thread or anime/LN thread. Because u sure as hell ain't gonna understand a thing solely from what is shown in the anime.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 21:43   Link #64
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Because u sure as hell ain't gonna understand a thing solely from what is shown in the anime.
I think this is being over-played, as is often the case with novel-to-anime adaptations. As much as it's quick, it mostly requires paying attention and reading between the lines. It's certainly not incomprehensible in the slightest, and a lot of viewers have demonstrated plenty of comprehension in this thread.

But anyway, now that you've provided your notice, I trust you won't need to repeat that point again. People seeking novel-based answers to anime questions can use the Q&A Thread, or go to one of the aforementioned novel or comparison threads.
Old 2013-09-09, 22:03   Link #65
SQA

Monogatari episodes normally give you "everything you need", but do require pausing to read the quick cuts and a bit of interpolation of information. Though, truthfully, the editing & translation of the work play a huge part in this. (This was more of an issue with Bakemono, though)
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 22:30   Link #66
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Here is a recommendation to anyone that wants to know what the hell is going on in this arc. Go to the light novel thread or anime/LN thread. Because u sure as hell ain't gonna understand a thing solely from what is shown in the anime.
I know she was burnt. They explicitly stated that she had burns all over her body (even with text taken straight from the novel).

I was rhetorically questioning how Shaft's visuals didn't match what was said. They say "half-burned", but Kiss-shot's skin looked as flawless as ever to me. The only visible signs of damage were her arm gloves and leggings, and even then they just looked torn.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 23:39   Link #67
SQA

Quote:
I know she was burnt. They explicitly stated that she had burns all over her body (even with text taken straight from the novel).

I was rhetorically questioning how Shaft's visuals didn't match what was said. They say "half-burned", but Kiss-shot's skin looked as flawless as ever to me. The only visible signs of damage were her arm gloves and leggings, and even then they just looked torn.
She'll look burnt on the BluRays. It's SHAFT, after all.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 23:52   Link #68
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:

Blu-ray. It's sad really...
Old 2013-09-10, 00:29   Link #69
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340.29 View Post
Wow. I never really thought about doing that. I assume you mean the flash texts?
I've always thought of it as some kind of subliminal messaging, or just something planned to be fragmented. I generally pick up keywords from it, and I've always assumed that's the whole point. Would be quite upset if I've been missing real content this whole time.
I've been pausing to read those since bakemonogatari, I think they're an important part of the story so I always read them
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 01:57   Link #70
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340.29 View Post
Wow. I never really thought about doing that. I assume you mean the flash texts?
I've always thought of it as some kind of subliminal messaging, or just something planned to be fragmented. I generally pick up keywords from it, and I've always assumed that's the whole point. Would be quite upset if I've been missing real content this whole time.
If you really want to understand it, you must read the signs. The most important one are the "Scene No." which are basically thoughts of one of the character (mostly Koyomi). You HAVE to pause it to be able to read it because they are too fast to read it normally (some are even in one frame). That's why I have to watch every episode of Monogatari Series at least twice just to understand the episode.

Quote:
Blu-ray. It's sad really...
It's a strategy. ShaftThey always change stuff in the BD to motivate people to buy it. That's one of the many ways to do it.

Basically,

>Based Shaft

Now about the episode... I only have one thing to said:

21 years old Mayoi = Best Girl

Last edited by RDF2050; 2013-09-10 at 02:13.
RDF2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 02:40   Link #71
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
If you really want to understand it, you must read the signs. The most important one are the "Scene No." which are basically thoughts of one of the character (mostly Koyomi). You HAVE to pause it to be able to read it because they are too fast to read it normally (some are even in one frame). That's why I have to watch every episode of Monogatari Series at least twice just to understand the episode.

It's a strategy. ShaftThey always change stuff in the BD to motivate people to buy it. That's one of the many ways to do it.

Basically,

>Based Shaft

Now about the episode... I only have one thing to said:

21 years old Mayoi = Best Girl
That's right, that's what I keep forgetting to talk about. Mayoi X has rocking titties. That's what u get when u already have a chest that a seventeen year would lust over when you are only ten.
Old 2013-09-10, 08:39   Link #72
Raymondjram

I am new here but I have been watching the Monogatari series on Cruncyroll since 2011. Now I am hooked on the series, both the anime, and the light novels. I was watching this last Kabuki episode at Daisuki to see how KissShot was animated, since we saw brief view at the beginning of Bake. I like how she was done, but I wonder if the voice actress was the same as Shinobu or if it was Hitagi's voice actress, because her voice and style reminded me of Hitagi.
Raymondjram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 09:52   Link #73
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
I was watching this last Kabuki episode at Daisuki to see how KissShot was animated, since we saw brief view at the beginning of Bake. I like how she was done, but I wonder if the voice actress was the same as Shinobu or if it was Hitagi's voice actress, because her voice and style reminded me of Hitagi.
It's still Maaya Sakamoto, she sounded great, Kiss-shot was the main reason I wanted Hirano replaced in the first place after she was casted as Shinobu in that cd.

I look forward to hearing her as Kiss-shot again later, in 2020 when SHAFT finally release Kizu.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 10:26   Link #74
daiphongdao
Fairy follower

Send a message via Yahoo to daiphongdao
Talking about Kizu, I still remember back in early 2011, someone jokingly said that Kizu would be released on December 21st, 2012. And all of us were like, even Shaft wouldn't take that long to make a movie
Old 2013-09-10, 17:06   Link #75
Grey

Older Hachikuji was fun. Somehow, I enjoyed her way of speaking. And Oshino's blisteringly fast exposition was excellent.

Araragi, on destroying most of the world, was blase to the end. The lack of visible/audible concern was a little disappointing. Adds little doubts about the respectability of his character.

Hmm. I'm wary of some bits of Kiss-shot/Shinobu's personality that I've seen. Seems like there's an underlying weakness/neediness/dependence that'll make me disappointed in her. Still, I am hopeful for the aspects that are power and grandeur!
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 00:02   Link #76
MrFalcon

I watched the episode again and noticed a few possible discrepancies. In Kabukimonogatari they say that Hachikuji was the first to notice that Shinobu was gone. They also say that Shinobu was found at some point.

I went back and watched Bakemonogatari, and from the episodes it is Araragi who first notices that Shinobu is gone, not Hachikuji. She is the first person he asks to help look for Shinobu. I don't see anywhere in Bakemonogatari showing when Shinobu was found, just that she rises out of Araragi's shadow later during battle. Is there a mistranslation somewhere in the episodes, or did I miss something?
MrFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 17:38   Link #77
redgrnbluylw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalcon View Post
I watched the episode again and noticed a few possible discrepancies. In Kabukimonogatari they say that Hachikuji was the first to notice that Shinobu was gone. They also say that Shinobu was found at some point.

I went back and watched Bakemonogatari, and from the episodes it is Araragi who first notices that Shinobu is gone, not Hachikuji. She is the first person he asks to help look for Shinobu. I don't see anywhere in Bakemonogatari showing when Shinobu was found, just that she rises out of Araragi's shadow later during battle. Is there a mistranslation somewhere in the episodes, or did I miss something?
You know, I thought about that too. If I remember right, it was indeed Mayoi in episode 13 who told Araragi that she saw Shinobu at Mr. Donuts. Then in episode 14, Araragi went to check the place himself, but he didn't see her. My guess would be that she was always there, but being the Kaii she is, was able to hide from Araragi without him noticing, and then slipped into his shadow quietly, having had finally thought things through alone.

Of course, I don't think they'd show that in the anime, since then we'd know that she'd be the one to save Araragi when Black Hanekawa attacked.
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 18:21   Link #78
shinyaNakagawa
Lifeless shut-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalcon View Post

Araragi and Shinobu are bound to each other so that they could feel each other's emotions, thoughts and pain.
Araragi has the initiative to look for Shinobu in Bake 13-15, thus realizing Shinobu that Araragi really cared for her well being. Shinobu might have noticed that Araragi is being brutally 'bullied' by Black Hanekawa and so she help him to suppress B. Hanekawa.

Correct me if I am wrong here.
Spoiler:
shinyaNakagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 00:07   Link #79
MrFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrnbluylw View Post
You know, I thought about that too. If I remember right, it was indeed Mayoi in episode 13 who told Araragi that she saw Shinobu at Mr. Donuts. Then in episode 14, Araragi went to check the place himself, but he didn't see her. My guess would be that she was always there, but being the Kaii she is, was able to hide from Araragi without him noticing, and then slipped into his shadow quietly, having had finally thought things through alone.

Of course, I don't think they'd show that in the anime, since then we'd know that she'd be the one to save Araragi when Black Hanekawa attacked.
Looking back, I think you are right. It may have been that without Mayoi mentioning she saw Shinobu at Mr Donuts, it may not have clicked with him later that she was missing, and he may not have searched there. Even when I first watched Bakemonogatari, I always was confused on how Shinobu got in Araragi's shadow and wondered if something was left out of the book or if I missed something. Nisioisin may have intentionally made the whole situation a bit vague so he could fill in the details later. Thanks for your answer.
MrFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 01:17   Link #80
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I always said Mayoi is the best girl in Monogatari universe, and this episode just further proved my point!!

That does not change anything, as Mayoi is "forever-a-loli". But it just proved that she's a stunning beauty (with great style) when she grew up as well

PS: don't read the novel, and i mean the ending was not that bad. But i understands it could be built up to be much more emotional