AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-11, 09:21   Link #281
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well Nanoha's armor protection scheme is better than Fate's. She really is a potent balance of mobility, protection and firepower. Fate's armor is on the fanservice side (albeit cute) but it she soaks up damage faster with it.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-09-11, 09:53   Link #282
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

As far as im concerned Nanoha/Fate would have just as much defence runing arround naked. Its not like a piece of cloth actually protects much Unless we assume that is some kind of uber enhanced cloth
Old 2006-09-11, 09:59   Link #283
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

My MMORPG experience (particularly L2) would refute you on that, although I won't go there...

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-09-11, 11:03   Link #284
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
As far as im concerned Nanoha/Fate would have just as much defence runing arround naked. Its not like a piece of cloth actually protects much Unless we assume that is some kind of uber enhanced cloth
They're quite clear that it's armor. Signum in particular is remarked upon as having strong defenses.
Old 2006-09-11, 11:10   Link #285
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Still i prefer Fate's outfit to Nanohas. Black / red + cape!! pwns. And she has a friggin scythe - what more can you want A cute version of a grim reaper
Oh, I do love Scythes, and I was pretty disappointed that Bardiche's final form was nothing remotely related to polearms.

Trivia: Bardiches and Scythes are polearm weapons.

I mean, a sword? Why? They could have gone with dual-Scythes, a Halberd, or heck, a Naginata, in order to maintain the theme.
~~~~ ~~~~

In terms of armour however, I still prefer Nanoha's over Fate's, simply because it makes more sense. In terms of favourites however, Vita's armour beats both, because it has evil bunnies on it.

Not to mention that when Vita's armour gets damaged, she becomes stronger. You see, this is why she lost to those kitties. Nobody scratched her armour.

Cheers.

ADD] On a side-note, I am hoping for a 'Meteor' style weapon-backpack attachment for Nanoha. If only for the WTF factor.
Old 2006-09-11, 11:12   Link #286
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Vita is a Berserker. That's why.

Old 2006-09-11, 11:22   Link #287
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
I mean, a sword? Why? They could have gone with dual-Scythes, a Halberd, or heck, a Naginata, in order to maintain the theme.
Seriously, the Signum faction is with you on that one. Thievery, it was. My personal preference would have been for some crazy multi-bladed arrangement...
Old 2006-09-11, 11:40   Link #288
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Yes, i also was disappointed with Bardiche's final form - it takes away from Fates overall image imo

As far as protection from armor goes - Signum is probably the closest to having somewhat usefull clothing in that department.

I kinda liked fate's outfit withoutthe cape and with those little yellow wings all over it - one she used to increase her speed

On a side note - can Nanoha fly without the wings on her boots ?
Old 2006-09-11, 14:31   Link #289
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Alright gang, we need to rally up support for Nanoha. The Mai fight is too close for comfort. FOR NANOHA!

Old 2006-09-11, 15:07   Link #290
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

FOR NANOHA *cough* this topic is kinda active considering that only 6 or so people are discussing things here I still want to know can Nanoha fly without those wings on her boots
Old 2006-09-11, 15:11   Link #291
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I don't think she can. Those wings, axel fins are what makes it possible for Nanoha to hover (Fate doesn't need those) and makes Flash move (booster) possible.

Old 2006-09-11, 15:13   Link #292
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Flash move yes, im simply asking because no one else doesnt need any sort of wings to fly, not only Fate even the ferret...err.. i mean Yuuno can fly
Old 2006-09-11, 17:11   Link #293
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I figured Nanoha couldn't inately fly because she wasn't raised in a magical environment. Sure, Shiro and son can just helluva far, but fly? No.

About the barrier jackets, of course they don't "look" like armour. When have they ever? And even when armour "looks" like armour on a heroine, it follows the Valis rule of "the less it covers the better it protects." The barrier jacket is a magical uniform that absorbs attacks in place of it's user. In A's s1 when Vita totally kicked Nanoha's ass, we saw a scene where Vita blew away a layer of Nanoha's armour. If that were Fate, she'd likely not have had a second chance because her's seems lighter. One attack like that would've completely destroyed her defenses.

Actually, I'll bet you three cans of orange juice that we'll see that happen in StrikerS. And people will complain that it was purely for fanservice.

Regarding Vita, I wish they'd mentioned more about her attachment to her bunnies. It's ok for her to "just like them" but to flip out THAT badly deserves some background. Unless I just forgot it. Maybe she's a closet otaku and it was a limited edition, first print, autographed peice.

This is just guesswork and admittedly I doubt the show's staff have actually thought about this but I figure Fate has a single layer of medium armour and a layer of light armour(d3). Nanoha would have one heavy layer and two light layers(d5). Vita would have the same setup as Nanoha(d5). Signum I'd figure would have a heavy and two medium layers (d7). Since Shamal is meant to avoid contact, I figure she'd be on a series of a heavy, medium and light (d6) and I figure Hayate would be pretty tanked up. I'll say two heavies and a medium for her (d8). Chrono would be pretty heavy too, I figure. Two heavies and a light for him (d7)

This is, of course, all based on the layering of their barrier jackets.

As for the Zanber form thing. I think it's ok but it's just not her, ya know? Fate has a lot of speed going for her in her melee attacks. All Zanber will do is make her seem slower. I would've prefered an insane halberd type-thing.

Here's an example of what I'd be thinking of from one of my old game projects.

Like that only more high-tech looking.
Old 2006-09-11, 17:25   Link #294
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
I
Regarding Vita, I wish they'd mentioned more about her attachment to her bunnies. It's ok for her to "just like them" but to flip out THAT badly deserves some background. Unless I just forgot it. Maybe she's a closet otaku and it was a limited edition, first print, autographed peice.
I'm guessing that she based her hat around the bunny Hayate gave her, when they went out shopping for some inspiration on what their armour would look like.
Old 2006-09-11, 17:27   Link #295
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

That bunnie on Vita's hat is something Hayate bought her - thats why she treasures them so much

And totaly agree on the Zanber crap.
Old 2006-09-11, 18:02   Link #296
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I was playing around with this but this thing doesn't suit me.

Maybe somebody like Dragonfly would fare better?

Old 2006-09-11, 18:15   Link #297
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

You don 't mind? Really? AVATAR GET!

Actually, mind if I slow it down a bit later? It's tres awesomeo

Edit:

31) It's not that Dark Nanoha takes medication for her mental illnesses. Some think it's the medication that made her that way.
Old 2006-09-11, 20:07   Link #298
Maximum Burst
Intelligent Device

Ok...taking a look at the pictures that sandwich my previous post...There's just something about the one above that makes me not like the look. On the other hand, the one below looks perfectly fine. Maybe it's because a pretty vibrant blue was used in the coloring of the fanart. Bah.

In any case, I've rethought things, and I guess I don't mind Nanoha's barrier jacket too much at all. It's a bit plain, but the basic "shape" is good. Fate's is good in a unique way. You can't go wrong with useless belts ^^d. Of course, the cape is a nice touch, as well. I wouldn't mind it if the back of her skirt was longer, though.

Hayate's barrier jacket is really awesome. I love every part of it. The color combo is perfect, it's pretty sleek-looking, and it comes with a hat that looks like a big pillow lol. Shamal and Signum's barrier jackets share the same style, so they're cool, too. Vita's barrier jacket is very well-designed as well. It's basically a goth version of Hayate's. The bunnies are a nice touch, and also, despite it being a pretty long like Nanoha's jacket, it didn't stop us from seeing any fanservice lol.

Edit: Oh! Forgot to talk about Zamber form...I must admit that a big beam sword is cool, but it really isn't so cool when it's a part of Fate's arsenal. It'd fit better if they shortened the blade a bit and extended the handle by three feet.

Last edited by Maximum Burst; 2006-09-11 at 20:24.
Old 2006-09-11, 21:43   Link #299
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

I like Bardiche's Zanber form. Why? Because I love Daizengar's Zankantou.

http://srwog.velv.net/og_mecha/daizengar.html

Fate is actually Zengar's little sister from another dimension.
Old 2006-09-12, 03:30   Link #300
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

The sword that thing has looks more like Levantine imo the Zanber form is too big and bulky to be used efectively, especially considering that Fate relies on her speed in melee - this would only hinder her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Burst
I wouldn't mind it if the back of her skirt was longer, though
No, absolutely no. Longer skirt and a cape would look horribly together. Also consider that Fate is in melee almost all the time - longer skirt wouldnt be so comfortable to move in i would asume.