AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-25, 10:25   Link #21
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

i was also going to nominate Sakamichi no Apollon. It started off with great promise but bogged down around the time Yurika left. I also got annoyed with Ritsuko who seemed much too much the "doormat" kind of female character.

I would put Tsuritama in the other category, of a show that was better than I expected. And I had rather high expectations considering the director was Nakamura Kenji, but I wondered whether the subject matter would hold my interest. Unlike the poster above me in this thread, I liked the wonky stuff about fishing.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 10:37   Link #22
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
i
I would put Tsuritama in the other category, of a show that was better than I expected. And I had rather high expectations considering the director was Nakamura Kenji, but I wondered whether the subject matter would hold my interest. Unlike the poster above me in this thread, I liked the wonky stuff about fishing.
Oh yeah I agree, I think we had most surprising thread of the year so I was hoping for one of those so I can gush about Tsuritama.
Old 2012-11-25, 12:54   Link #23
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! is this year's only show I was dissapointed, but I only watched the first few episodes. While the premise wasn't bad and has great visuals, the story failed to deliver anything other than being a shallow entertainment tool made solely to please the perverted viewers thanks to the blatant amount of fanservice (which is usual for harems). Generic as it may be, the ending makes things worse.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 13:13   Link #24
Darthtabby

Rinne no Lagrange is the one that really stands out as disappointing for me. For all the criticisms it got (some of which were kind of out there in my opinion -some people really love to indulge in hate fests) I thought it was a really great show up until near the end of Season 2. Unfortunately the sugar coated deus ex machina ending kind of ruined the series for me (and this is coming from a guy who considers Mai HiME one of his all time favorite anime series in spite of its ending -though granted I came to appreciate HiME's ending more with rewatching).
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 16:41   Link #25
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

For me it's probably Natsuiro Kiseki. I expected an average quality four girl ensemble slice of life, and ended up getting an attempt at a plot that went all over the place.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 16:48   Link #26
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with those who listed Nisemonogatari and/or SAO, especially given how hyped both were.

I recently dropped SAO because of a recent plot transition that has drained virtually all tension out of that show and its plot, imo. SAO has a killer premise, came reasonably close to living up to it for awhile, but has since completely abandoned it for a more pure Gary Stu-led wish fulfillment story...

Interestingly, Nise similarly descended into pure fanservice, albeit in a slightly different way from SAO.
Old 2012-11-25, 17:10   Link #27
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Sword Art Online. It had tremendous promise, then episode 14 ended, and the story abandoned almost everything I enjoyed about it, to focus 99% on otaku pandering. I really apperciated how well it balanced that with the best depiction of an MMO in anime I've seen to date, for the first 14 episodes.

In my mind, I'll pretend it ended at episode 14, with some Rocky music blaring as Kirito drags himself across the hospital to reunite with his love, as the credits roll.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 17:23   Link #28
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Interestingly, I had difficulty recalling which anime disappointed me this year. If they were that bad, chances are I did not stick with them long enough for me to even remember them.

Here's my tentative list:

Another: For reasons described by others. It started really well, and I looked forward to a satisfying revelation and dramatic climax, only to be given an unexpected gore-fest. Even so, I wasn't exactly disappointed, because the ending was still somewhat entertaining, though not in the way I had hoped. Part of the fun, I think, came from observing how some forum members managed to put two and two together to figure out the mystery before the end.

Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing: By the mid-point, I stopped caring about the characters and the world of Last Exile. The drama and action were contrived and unconvincing, but the visual elements were nice enough that I stayed with the series till somewhere near the end. Then I stopped because I was too busy and never went back to it. I loved the original series so, in comparison, its sequel was disappointing. But in truth, the story just never clicked sufficiently with me to register a genuine opinion.

Nisemonogatari: I think this was the one that came closest to being a true disappointment for me. I loved Bakemonogatari and went into Nisemonogatari with high expectations, only to be given pointless fan service and a barely meaningful plot. The disappointment may not have been as strong if I didn't subsequently try watching Medaka Box as well. It had the same kind of self-indulgent, snarky humour that was fresh the first time round, but which quickly became wearying in the absence of characters I could truly sympathise with. My opinion of the stories' creater, NisiOisin, plummeted as a result.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 17:24   Link #29
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

K: I dropped it after 5 episodes, i think. I was actually enjoying the fact that there was a powerful group going against another group. When Shiro appeared and was accused of being a bad guy, I was loving it even more. Until...Shiro and some guy from a group decided to be together until Shiro was believed to be either a good guy or a bad guy. I honestly would have appreciated a good chase.
All in all, it felt like it was missing something.
Old 2012-11-25, 20:08   Link #30
mistress_kisara

1. La storia della Arcana Famiglia - Honestly, I LOVE the game so much, but the anime was just disappointing There was TOO MUCH focus on Liberta and Nova and I hate how they dumbed down Felicita
2. Sword Art Online - I like the plot, but the characters are annoying (ex. Yui, Silica). I'm still watching this only for the action
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 22:18   Link #31
Fuyuno
Banned

Not as bad as last year but some still hit the rock bottom, in term of disappointment that is..

Arcana Famiglia
A reverse harem, what do you expect from it? Anyway I was disappointed on how many A+ ranked seiyuus are behind this show and for some reasons their talent went to waste. One of the most unnecessary shows of all time.

K
Another reverse harem, what do you expect from it again? Perhaps what I was disappointed with it is how it promoted itself as a shounen fighting show but in reality it just a reverse harem with some yaoi undertones. This show is a good example of when style is preferred over substance.

Girls und Panzer
Stupid plot, stupid concept and also another excuse to waste seiyuu's talent. While I expect it to be bad but I was wrong. It's worse. It's horrendous. While as not as stupid as Strike Witches(girls turned into WW2 planes) but having 15-16 years old girls manning WW2 tanks is a stupid idea to begin with. What's next after this? Girls in sailor suits command WW2 battleships? Please don't make any of that stuff again.

Jormungand(first season)
It was hyped as "smarter" version of Black Lagoon but it failed. In fact it failed on everything else except for action parts. Lots of its potential to develop better plot and characters are sacrificed for more action scenes. Just another style over substance syndrome.

And my personal most disappointing anime of 2012 is....

Another
What...The...F*ck...I...Just...Watched...Where's my mystery? Where's my horror? It seems both are sacrificed for more bloody violence aka guro for guro fanboys' viewing pleasure. I just can't believe it was actually made by the same studio who brought us Hanasaku Iroha.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 22:41   Link #32
Kouvley

Sword Art Online: Tons of potential from the premise, I was completely sold by the first episode but it slowly became apparent that SAO wants to tell (as Triple R put it) a pure Gary Stu-led wish fulfillment story rather than explore the more interesting (to me) aspects this premise would have allowed it to do.

Another: Interesting first half, built up an intruiging mystery with a suitably unsettling atmosphere.....then the idiot ball got passed around and people started dying in increasingly over the top and comical ways. I could not take the show seriously anymore.

Nisemonogatari: Bakemonogatari was fantastic, Nise was merely "ok-ish". Perhaps my expectations were too high.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 00:10   Link #33
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
K
Another reverse harem, what do you expect from it again? Perhaps what I was disappointed with it is how it promoted itself as a shounen fighting show but in reality it just a reverse harem with some yaoi undertones. This show is a good example of when style is preferred over substance.
I understand the criticism regarding K as being "style over substance", but I have yet to see what this reverse harem you speak of in the series.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 02:22   Link #34
Sphire

It's hard to list some shows, since stuff I deemed totally not worthwhile I gave up after 1 or 2 episodes. So, while the shows I list failed me, they at least had something going for them for a certain period, and aren't outright trash.

Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You

As someone who only follows the anime currently, I was mighty disappointed with what has been given, both in terms of animation and story. Animation looked horrendous to start with (starting to look better now though). Story feels disjointed as I haven't followed the manga. I just feel left out, and it is annoying as I love the previous series.

Kokoro Connect
Nice premise, failed execution. I haven't even bothered watching the last episode. Good characters get butchered for some cheesy drama too.

Sword Art Online

I dropped this show at around episode 10-12 or something. I didn't like what it tried to showcase as romance, and that was the final straw. I dealt with the first 6/7 episodes that didn't take the story anywhere, but when we did get plot, it felt rushed and just not good. I would've loved to have seen more from the show, but it didn't live up to the hype. I was thinking of returning to it, but apparently it gets worse after reading these comments here. Might have to rethink that.

Accel World

Dropped this after around episode 15, when Kuroyukihime goes on vacation. It's then you realise she solely carried the show. Everyone else is bad in comparison, especially the annoying main character. It's one thing to be a loser, but then to whine and complain that you are a loser (constantly) is just such a turn off.

Hyouka
Hard to say I was disappointed here, given the ending itself was strong and I had no real hype to begin with anyway. But along the way I just didn't care about the show, watching it for nice visuals and simple character interaction over any good plot, setting or character development. Too much moe-blob fan-pandering too. Just felt like wasted potential. And for the majority of the show, the characters are just too 1-dimensional, except for Satoshi.

Arcana Famiglia
I was more or less okay with how it was going, but the abruptness of the ending and how bad it was, especially after all that build-up was disappointing. I just hoped there would be much more from the ending.

Seitokai no Ichizon Lv.2
Not really disappointed with the show, just at how the series is being handled/promoted. The show deserves better.
Old 2012-11-26, 04:32   Link #35
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Eureka Seven AO: Not even the spec of the former Eureka Seven's glory is seen in this sequel. All the beautiful scenes of trapar wave riding, solid story telling is being demolished and butchered with the complex paradox of time-dimension travelling...

Rinne no Lagrange: Good setting but failed in execution especially in 2nd half of the story with the duo alien-kings keep changing between ally side or foe side... Jeez...

Another: What's the point of making a mystery if you dont solve it by the end of serie?

Sword Art Online: The tension is too different between SAO Arc and ALO Arc...

Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You: The 3rd episode explains it all...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 10:40   Link #36
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica. I'm not really easily disappointed with many anime, but this one was just disappointing for me. I was sold on the unusual premise that this was a story set after the hero defeated the final boss (ergo expected something about the hero returning to normality; but no...), but apart from its unusually badass (though ridiculously overpowered ) male MC, other parts were just mediocre; not to mention the excessive ecchi fanservice.

Spoiler for about the two MCs:

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder. I enjoyed OtoBoku season 1. I was excited when news of a sequel came out. So much wasted potential in a mere 3-episode OVA. I thought it could have been much better as a TV series; but instead we get a severely shortened "adaptation" that, even to just an anime watcher clearly comes off as not doing justice to its lengthy source material. An entire VN in 3 episodes? Come on!

Sword Art Online. Suffice to say, after a really strong start the anime squandered its potential and the decline became more apparent as it went. Maybe it should have been solely dedicated to the SAO arc (to remedy what I thought were excessive time skips and pacing problems) and relegated the ALO arc to a later sequel called Alfheim Online.
Old 2012-11-26, 11:29   Link #37
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Eureka seven AO wins hands-down. A terrible sequel that had both the worst villain and the worst childhood friend of the year.

Sword Art Online. To this day I still don't get why this show was so damn hyped. It's absolutely nothing special and ever since the end of the first arc, it has been a complete snore-fest due to the complete lack of tension. And let's not forget its Gary Stu of a main character... all the wanking over him in a recent episode was horrible.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous. This show seemed very promising and I thought I would love it, but its unlikable cast killed it for me. I never managed to bring myself to care about any of the characters, which is not a good thing for a character driven drama.

I see a lot of people listed Another. I didn't realize it was that disliked. As bad as the ending was (and it was bad), this doesn't erase the ten or so excellent episodes we got beforehand for me. I suppose I might be more of a journey kind of person. I loved speculating about this show.
Old 2012-11-26, 11:36   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I see a lot of people listed Another. I didn't realize it was that disliked. As bad as the ending was (and it was bad), this doesn't erase the ten or so excellent episodes we got beforehand for me. I suppose I might be more of a journey kind of person. I loved speculating about this show.
I agree with you on Another. Plus, I kind of expected things to go close to how they did in the final two episodes (the final two episodes just overdid it even more than I thought it would).

Another was maybe slightly disappointing for me, but there's a decent chance it would still be amongst my 10 favorite anime shows of 2012.
Old 2012-11-26, 12:19   Link #39
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Completely biased opinion ("coincidently" all of them are VN adaptations):

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder: Did the original game no justice and even seeing it as a standalone it pretty much fails in art, story,drama, comedy, execution etc. (pretty much everything)

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate: It's not a good sign if the serie starts making the main heroine one of the least likable characters in the serie. Also the rushed plot and the bad drama at the end made it worse for me.

La storia della Arcana Famiglia: It felt that this serie had like 8 or 9 pointless episodes ....
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 14:22   Link #40
Bern-san

Okay so here it goes...

La Storia della Arcana Famiglia
I can't believe they could make such a bad adaptation of one of the best otome games from 2011. They focused on the 2 most annoying and uninteresting characters and it was so frustrating to see how one of the most badass otome heroines became your usual dumb heroine.
At least the novels have Jolly x Felicita and the manga has Luca x Felicita
Hope Brains Base makes a good Amnesia adaptation because this thing left me very discouraged.

Hakuouki Reimeiroku
I consider this VN better than the original Hakuouki otome since it gave a lot of depth to the characters. I said multiple times that Reimeiroku VN was longer than the original Hakuoki and it should have been divided into 2 seasons instead of being 1-cour.
The anime presented many plots and tried to cover things about every character except Heisuke and Harada but never got into details with any of them and felt shallow in the end, with no real character development.
At least thanks to it we got new gorgeous art from the original Hakuouki artist for the DVD covers and OST covers.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous
It looked quite interesting but the characters were so boring and most of the time I didn't care about them.

Sword Art Online
It had everything to become one of my favorite animes, it even has romance aside from action and Yuki Kajiura, but there's something about it doesn't click to me. Nearly all my otaku friends watch it and I tried to give it a second chance but guess this isn't for me.
Maybe I expected something else?

Sakamichi no Apollon
Guess my hype for this was too high. I mean, it wasn't bad but I didn't like some parts of the drama and the ending was a bit abrupt for me (it had 12 episodes so can't really blame about that).