Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-16, 17:34   Link #861
Avrin

Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
I knew We Suck would come through on this series. That was why I was so happy when they picked it up. Thanks to Torgen and lavalyn for so efficiently and consistently bringing us our fix.
Yep, thank you very much for the fansubs, it was a really great anime =D
Avrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 17:53   Link #862
Zafo
Then up comes Zafo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
I knew We Suck would come through on this series. That was why I was so happy when they picked it up. Thanks to Torgen and lavalyn for so efficiently and consistently bringing us our fix.
Amen, brother. I'm looking forward to any other works this sub group will bring us.
Zafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 19:41   Link #863
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi-chan
Uwaaa! I was just reading random threads because I was bored, and I stumbled upon this topic. You guys all got me interested in Uninhabited Planet Survive now, and I want to watch it!
Great. It's a well done anime fron start to finish. Your gonna have some problems getting all the subs though as We-Suck took down eps 19-26 I believe.
Old 2004-11-16, 19:49   Link #864
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
Great. It's a well done anime fron start to finish. Your gonna have some problems getting all the subs though as We-Suck took down eps 19-26 I believe.
We've taken down 1-26, actually.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 02:24   Link #865
babbito2k
annoying white bat

It was nice to watch this series with everyone. Thanks to W-S for the dedication and good work.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 07:20   Link #866
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
We've taken down 1-26, actually.
Ah, checking AnimeSuki's site right now, and all of We Suck's UPS--ha, funny acronym or whatever--eps. up to 27 are gone. But other sub groups have started their own. Any chance they'll continue subbing and get to the missing eps.?
Ashi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 14:51   Link #867
igowerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi-chan
Ah, checking AnimeSuki's site right now, and all of We Suck's UPS--ha, funny acronym or whatever--eps. up to 27 are gone. But other sub groups have started their own. Any chance they'll continue subbing and get to the missing eps.?
It's taking the other subbers forever, but I think they're working on it. I'm waiting for episode 19 to be released by someone so I can finally get that episode!
igowerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 19:07   Link #868
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well you could always just go buy the dvd's like We Suck wants you to and actually support the studios like you should if you want to continue seeing really great animes like this one. Sure, I leach too, but only if:

1. I can't get the dvd.
2. It's not out yet.
3. If I can't afford the DVD (This one only applies when I'm super broke and absolutely can't wait, which is really rare.)

Dude, just go buy the dvd's. If you're going to buy them, then by all means leach 19, but if you aren't going to buy them, then don't leach episodes that are already available on dvd. It's not cool.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 05:40   Link #869
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I just recently started watching UPS. Once I got started I couldn't stop. I downloaded and watched all 52 episodes in 12 days. It was like eating popcorn! Once I finished watching the show I decided to read this thread. It was really amusing to see everyone's early speculations and how people's perspectives on this show changed over time.

The first few pages were all about how everyone wanted to kill Howard and how awful Sharla's voice is. Fortunately, at least a few people actually wanted to talk about the show. It was interesting to see everyones discussions about who would be a good couple from very early on. Sad though, knowing that except for one episode they would never do anything to prove or disprove those speculations.

I was particularly amused by someone on one of the early pages of this thread who said that he was disappointed that after the first 3 episodes the show wasn't sci-fi anymore!! He said that he might stop watching because he only wanted to see a sci-fi show. I just gaped at that because once they get into the Western Forest it just gets more and more sci-fi.

Then there were the speculations on Luna's strange powers. Some people argued that it was a property of Fairy Lake since it only happened there. Others believed she was psychic. Everyone seemed to be relieved that it was actually caused by nanomachines and Luna wasn't psychic which made me laugh because I knew that they later pulled an about face and said that she had psychic power in addition to nanomachines.

Personally I'd have been happier without the psychic powers, but they did work it into the plot reasonably well. If Survive didn't have a reason to take Luna alive, they would have been killed long before they got there. I was assuming it was just an enemy being stupid so that they'd have a chance, but it turns out Survive wanted them to get that far. Of course with Kaoru's 50 foot jumps, almost anything seems possible.

Then there was more exposition of how best to kill Howard. It never went away, it just became less common. Somehow noone ever suggested that he should be swallowed up by a sand trap and suffocated. It is too bad that he wasn't swallowed by the sand while successfully saving Sharla. If that had happened people might have actually believed that he was dead. Somehow two characters dead at the same time seemed unreasonably excessive. A single heroic death where he redeems himself of being a jerk would have been much more likely.

And every 13 episodes another discussion sprung up about how there wouldn't be enough material to last much longer. Around episode 9 people speculated that it might be a 13 episode series and it would be hard to make more than 26 episodes at most. Then around 22 people wondered how it could go over 26. At episode 35 people figured that 39 would probably be the end of the show because it couldn't possibly go 52 episodes. And I kept laughing as I read that because I knew how much would suddenly come up to make the show more complicated. Every time that it seemed we were reaching the end of the story, a new arc began as the world became larger. The Western Woods, The Tenacious Bunch, Crossing the Ocean, Fighting against Survive. It was always something new to keep the story from getting stale.

Pretty much everyone evolved in the course of this show. Kaoru clearly changed the most. Even his facial expressions were very different from the beginning of the show. He learned to embrace life instead of hating it. Luna changed the least, probably because she had to do so much growing up after loosing both parents - before the show ever started. Howard never stopped being a jerk of course, but he did become a nicer jerk.

I have to admit that the show was sometimes silly and often a bit more superficial than I would have liked, but it was always a lot of fun. It was a great ride for 52 episodes and in honor of it, I am borrowing an avatar that Kurei posted earlier in this thread. I modified it slightly for my use of course... Since it is a bit more masculine than my usual avatars I won't wear it for long, but for a day or two I will be celebrating this show that took over most of my anime viewing for 12 days. Thanks for getting me to watch it, Keitaro.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-11-25 at 05:54.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 09:09   Link #870
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehehe. Glad you liked it NSW. IT's definately a great show. hehe.
Old 2004-11-25, 19:27   Link #871
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I finally finished SURVIVE. Watched 52 episodes in 3 days... 14 per day. What a marathon! Well it was certainly closure and I really liked the ending. Didn't like how Luna was given too much power in the end though, and Adam's people came back too abruptly. Well great job We suck and an applause to a great 52 episode series.

Too bad America doesn't ge quality children's programming like this... Here in the states we're stuck with Ed, edd, and edddy and a sponge with square underwear...sad
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 20:24   Link #872
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

OMG. Those are still on? Good grief. They're almost as bad as power puff girls. Yet the strange thing is, they're popular. o_0

Oh well. Not everyone has great tastes in cartoons I guess.
Old 2004-11-25, 20:48   Link #873
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
I finally finished SURVIVE. Watched 52 episodes in 3 days... 14 per day. What a marathon! Well it was certainly closure and I really liked the ending. Didn't like how Luna was given too much power in the end though, and Adam's people came back too abruptly. Well great job We suck and an applause to a great 52 episode series.
Wow, 14 episodes per day?! That's pretty hardcore!

I also found it somewhat jarring how Adam's people came back almost instantaneously. My only reasoning is that perhaps they were waiting to come back. But they knew about the gravity storm. Closely monitoring it, when it suddenly changed course and the danger was gone, they quickly warped in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
Too bad America doesn't ge quality children's programming like this... Here in the states we're stuck with Ed, edd, and edddy and a sponge with square underwear...sad
Indeed... Quite sad. A couple shows that I just can't stand are the "Amanda Show" and "All That"

One thing that I seem to notice, is that most anime is story driven. Thus, they often (?) run shorter (13, 26, 52 episodes), whereas it seems that most childrens shows here in North America are very episodic. They can easily strech on for many, many episodes, as there is next to no story outside of each episode or sometimes two. Granted, some do have a main story line. Or, perhaps I'm just not as exposed to Japanese TV? It's just that from what I've seen on AnimeSuki versus stuff in North America, it seems that Japanese animation is more story/character driven rather than episodic..?
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 21:58   Link #874
Bahamut God
Explosive Macarena

Send a message via AIM to Bahamut God
I watched from eps. 1 to 20 stright, and then got stuck due to We Suck Policy. I'm waiting for other fan subs to bring it out.

Great series, but I love any series that trys to create it's own culture. I'm liking lost in very much the same way, there are also a lot of parrellels that I have seen between the two shows, at least from the first 20 eps. or so.

Some day eps. 21 though 26 will come out, and I'll be able to finish the series.

*cries*
Bahamut God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 01:50   Link #875
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, WeSuck does have the right idea, but I think they follow it a little too strictly. Now if they kept all the fansubs up there for 1 year after its completion THEN took them down, that might be better. Cause if the other groups had done that to me on several other series out there, like Secret of Cerulean Sand and Princess Tutu, I never would have gotten the unique opportunity to see them because I came into the game kinda late.
Old 2004-11-26, 10:33   Link #876
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Well, WeSuck does have the right idea, but I think they follow it a little too strictly. Now if they kept all the fansubs up there for 1 year after its completion THEN took them down, that might be better.
What? That would defeat the fundamental principle of their policy.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 03:24   Link #877
froobly

I watched the first 17 episodes, and found myself stuck thanks to We Suck's policy. I read their reasons, and I thought I'd try and find them, living in Japan and all.

Me: How much could it cost?
NHK: GIVE US 600 EARTH DOLLARS!!
Me: No.

So I went to the local video rental store and looked for them... no DVDs. I found the BRAND NEW VHS for up to 18. But that's it. The answer at this point is pay for a rare, hard to find (really, I only found one store in all of Osaka that had it for sale) uber-expensive DVD set, or don't watch past 18.

And don't give me the "you like it, so support the creators" line. I can support them by renting. I also support them every month with my NHK fee, which a third of the people in Japan don't even pay anyway. And I don't want to own MWS, I just want to watch it once and throw it away. It isn't that great of a show, I just want to know what happens.

Of course, none of this is Suck's fault, really (well, aside from the blanket "if it's out in Japan, no subs" policy). It's NHK's fault for deciding that only "special collectors" want to watch the show on DVD, and making the VHS version lag months behind the DVD version.
froobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 07:48   Link #878
donna8157

I'm really surprised by how "smart" this series is. I like how each of the characters have his or her own attributes that are useful to the group as a whole and how they cooperate with one another to get the tasks done so they can survive on this new planet. The trials that they go through seem particularly true to what would happen if someone was stuck on a deserted island and how the group goes about solving each problem is just incredibly well done. Although some parts may be far-fetched, it's still a lot of fun watching it. I really enjoyed all the characters thus far: Luna, Kaoru, Bell, Sharla, Menori, Howard, Shingo, Chako, and Adam.

I think Luna and Kaoru would look cute together.
donna8157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 09:55   Link #879
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Some good news for UPS fans, NHK will be airing a *new* UPS special on January 2, 2005. No more details, so we can only speculate, but self contained story rather than a 'remember when...' type of show would be most welcome.

Source:NHK
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 10:51   Link #880
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

The NHK page for the special says it's Luna's recollections of their various adventures on the planet, but that it has some new animation. If anyone reading this thread is in Japan, would you mind watching it and reporting on just how much new animation we're talking about here? If it starts with five minutes of grown-up Luna and the other 85 minutes is recap, it's hard to see how it would be worth subbing, and if at all possible I'd prefer to know that in advance so I don't need to download it.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote