AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 35 39.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 34.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 20.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-07, 04:42   Link #81
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That's not funny man, especially when it suposedly happens to your side...
Why? You saw/heard something you shouldn't have?

I've never had such encounters, but a few I know have. People always say there's no such thing as ghosts but, really, how do you prove a negative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Actually wouldn't that mean he could go around now beating people up, stealing their money etc etc and get away with it? Perks of being the invisible class voodoo charm.
That's the key idea behind H. G. Wells' The Invisible Man, the thought that, if no one can see you, you're effectively free to commit whatever crime you wish and get away with it. The question is, would you?

And that's why I don't think it'll go that way here. Whatever he may or may not be, Sakakibara seems too nice a kid to suddenly go on a crime/troll spree. In fact, he was drawn to Misaki because he thought she was being bullied and probably felt it to be mean and unfair, especially because she's cute and he likes her though he doesn't want to confess it yet.

But, for all we know, there may be another Sakakibara...
Old 2012-02-07, 04:43   Link #82
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think you might be onto something here. We've been told that anybody related to the class to the class can die, and that of course included teacher. That makes it possible for them to be the other. The lack of desk in Class 3 would just be one big troll/red herring from him then...

That's what I thought until episode 3. However, some of the deaths/accidents are impossible to explain away with a human as the culprit.

Fujioka - cause of death unknown
Class rep's mother - car accident. Car accidents happen all the time, so it could have just been a coincidence it happened that year.
Class rep - falling on her umbrella. I suppose it is possible somebody pushed her down, but it's a bit unbelievable he managed to make her land right on her pointy end of her umbrella.
Mizuno - death by elevator. Even if we assume somebody managed to have access to the elevator and tampered with the cable, he had no way to know when exactly the cable would come off loose and that it would be Mizuno inside the elevator.
What's his name - Heart attack. It happened right when he was about to pronounce Mei's name. That's one BIG coincidence.

There is also the glass that was knocked off by the wind in episode three. Nobody would have done that. That means it would be yet another coincidence. That's a quite lot of them, don't you think?

If it's revealed that the murderer really is a normal human, there better be some solid explanation to all this or I'll just call shitty writing.
The culprit has a Death Note. Problem solved.
Old 2012-02-07, 04:49   Link #83
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
No way! she wears knee-cocks, has twin-tails, and is a tsundere... no self-respecting horror/mystery writer would make a ghsot like that
You're thinking logicaly,start thinking with your gut

But yeah,I'll put it to the side until I start seeing evidence,if ever I see evidence

Quote:
Mom was 15 in 1972, that's 11+ years alive before the curse claimed her
She survived the curse on her year there,the curse got her the year her sister was in class 3.
Old 2012-02-07, 04:53   Link #84
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
The culprit has a Death Note. Problem solved.
That's a supernatural explanation too
Old 2012-02-07, 05:12   Link #85
Chase

So their way of trying to avoid death is to try to pretend the extra person doesn't exist which was Mei to them and now with Sakakibara's actions forced their hand so he gets the same treatment. Thats a pretty logical concept when you think about. Right now Sakakibara is the trigger as he keeps asking too much. Me personally i would have taken a hint the first time someone got killed. He keeps digging into it causing people to die right now. Weird how they can never tell who the extra student is. Also before this episode i was kind of certain Mei was a ghost.

Great episode by the way, this anime continues to get better.
Battlefield 4
Old 2012-02-07, 05:13   Link #86
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
There is also the glass that was knocked off by the wind in episode three. Nobody would have done that. That means it would be yet another coincidence. That's a quite lot of them, don't you think?
How about a mix of both?

There's the curse but someone is using that to make some of his murders look like they're part of the curse.

We still have got a girl getting attacked,a house being burned down,a knife, and a body being droped in the water all unacounted for in the prologe,those definatly make me think there's human involvment in there someplace.
Old 2012-02-07, 05:18   Link #87
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
We still have got a girl getting attacked,a house being burned down,a knife, and a body being droped in the water all unacounted for in the prologe,those definatly make me think there's human involvment in there someplace.
I'm of the opinion that those were the circumstances in which the original Misaki died. No one seems to remember how exactly that person passed away*. They think it was a plane accident, but that has not yet been confirmed.

After all, it's only a matter of time before SakakiMi get around to investigating that long-dormant case.

EDIT:
* The fact that people can't seem to remember could suggest the extent to which their memories have been altered by the curse. In this regard, it seems to be on the same power level as the ju-on.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-02-07 at 05:39.
Old 2012-02-07, 05:59   Link #88
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm of the opinion that those were the circumstances in which the original Misaki died. No one seems to remember how exactly that person passed away*. They think it was a plane accident, but that has not yet been confirmed.
Yeah,that's a likely possibility,but the shot of the umbrella makes me think there's some foreshadowing for what's going to happen mixed in with flashbacks.
Old 2012-02-07, 06:05   Link #89
boomerangnizorro

Mei said that the whole "Misaki Mei doesn't exist" thing started on May 1st. Her cousin Fujioka Misaki was dead by the 26th of April, though. Doesn't this mean that the curse was triggered even before they started the countermeasure?

Last edited by boomerangnizorro; 2012-02-07 at 06:13. Reason: corrected the name
Old 2012-02-07, 06:06   Link #90
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
How about a mix of both?

There's the curse but someone is using that to make some of his murders look like they're part of the curse.

Yeah, that's fine. My point was that -as much as I liked to do it- that we can't deny a supernatural force is at work anymore at his stage of the story.

I think I misunderstood Enzo's post.
Old 2012-02-07, 06:08   Link #91
Kirarakim

I am pretty sure there is something at supernatural at work too but if they could somehow explain there wasnt, well that would be fantastic.
Old 2012-02-07, 06:08   Link #92
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerangnizorro View Post
Mei said that the whole "Misaki Mei doesn't exist" thing started on May 1st. Her cousin Fujioka Mei was dead by the 26th of April, though. Doesn't this mean that the curse was triggered even before they started the countermeasure?
Yes, if Mei's cousin is the 'trigger', then the curse was triggered before they started ignoring her. It actually makes you wonder, why was Mei originally chosen to be ignored? Her cousin died in late April, then Mei started getting ignored on May 1st. This implies that the class's decision may have been motivated by this, maybe they felt that the best person to ignore was the person whose family member died, possibly triggering the curse?

This may have been compounded by the fact that her surname is Misaki, which relates to the original student who died 26 years ago. She might be from the same family or have relatives who connect to the original dead Misaki. Or maybe her name just sounds like the dead one's, which made the class uncomfortable. There is still no evidence her 'Misaki' is written like the dead student's 'Misaki', after all.
Old 2012-02-07, 06:19   Link #93
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Relieved that Mei was normal, but it is saddening to lead a life where you are ignored and you cant totally blame others for ignoring you as it is for them in a way also.
But it seems to me that after the revelation that Mei is totally normal ( and human ), she seems to act more like a normal person would, I can hardly recall her giving a little smile before this, or I was just forgetful.
Old 2012-02-07, 06:38   Link #94
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The whole "let's pretend a person doesn't exist" doesn't look like a great method. It's too easy to be screwed up, see this year. Perhaps it would be safer to just have a student move into a different town/school each year. While it may sound not much practical, if it'd save dozens of lives it may certainly become convenient, doesn't it?

I too immediately thought at the connection between Kouichi's aunt and his mother's death. At the moment the ages can't be checked thus unconfirmed, but to me it seems likely that Kouichi's mom felt in the curse through her sister, whom was attending class 3-3 in 1983.

There's also something about illnesses going on in this anime. Kouichi = collapsed lung , Misaki Mei = artificial eye, Misaki sensei = rumors of life-threatening illness. I was almost going to trace a line and say that somehow illnesses may prevent to be hit from the curse, but then in this episode a cardiopathic died by heart attack. In any case, still looking forward to find the link about these illnesses because there has to be one (if that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have got a sick main character to begin with).

About the recent deaths, for how I see things Misaki Mei is always related in a way or another:

- First, her cousin. Perhaps that was the death which started the curse? Her cousin died in april when she was already a member of class 3-3. So perhaps that's the reason she was chosen as "person who doesn't exist" starting from May 1st?
- Sakuragi sees Mei, freaks out and changes direction (in a sense "acknowledging" her existence instead of ignoring her). She then takes the opposite direction, falls and die. I have this suspicion that if she just ignored her and went ahead to the stairs she was originally heading to, she wouldn't have fallen.
- Mizuno dies just when she was discussing about Misaki Mei at the phone. She's a class 3-3 relative so she's not immune.
- The classmate dies by heart attack when he just pronounce "Misaki Mei".

With this, I'm not saying that Misaki is the bad one (on the contrary she's very cute and likable) but perhaps this year, be it an incident or a coincidence, everything seems to revolve around her. Yet Kouichi who always interacts with her seem to be immune so far. The only time his life has been at risk is when the glass felt in episode 3, and he was talking about Akasawa Izumi at that time.

So who's the dead one? I sure hope he's not the protagonist (it would be very cliché), nor I believe it's Mei. Since I don't believe he's one of the minor characters either, it has to be one of these (taken from the official site):

Spoiler for characters pic - saving space:

Scrap the two on the left and the two main characters, only 8 remain, a number probably going to decrease with the next episodes.
At this point of time excluding Misaki Mei and the protagonist, the most suspicious individual would seem Izumi, although her seemingly strong personality might be a red herring as well.
Old 2012-02-07, 06:59   Link #95
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Wow, I know Mei is cute but it doesn't mean you'll have a heart attack just thinking about her To be honest, glad to see Sakakibara finally getting it, but a bit disappointed that at least for some part, there are supernatural forces at play. I mean, how else could you explain a fatal heart attack at the exact moment he's going to spill (it's going to be silly and too convenient otherwise).

Being ignored like that sucks for Sakakibara I guess, but at least he still has Mei with him...
Easy - somebody planted a micro-bomb or something in the dude's aorta and kaboom!

Quote:
It's not like they figured it out the first year. I'm sure it took them quite a while. Then with the story about Misaki in mind and the fact a desk is missing every single year, they theorized that somebody in the class is not supposed to be there. It's logical, in some way.
This was actually confirmed in the episode itself. They only started this whole ritual of ignoring a student only ten years ago. A whole 15 years after the curse began.

Quote:
My problem with this explanation is that if everyone's memories and even the school records can be easily altered, then why can't that ghost find a goddamn desk? I can only assume this is actually a clue the dead's giving out to the living.
I don't think it'd be to much avail though. I am betting that the number of students for the class for each year is fixed. The memories and the records can be altered only as far as connection to class 3 goes. They would know that there is one more person because there would be one more than in class 1 and 2.

My problem with it is more significant I think. However the fuck did they figure out that the extra person was dead? Was it just a guess? If so then I don't believe that crap. Sounds to me like the students fear the rumors so much that they assume that the supernatural is playing a part.

I am still on the no supernatural camp. Rather, I hope there is no supernatural involved. It'd make things far more interesting. Some of the accidents could be accidents and some could be murders. A "rational" explanation can still be formed as of yet.

I am very surprised that the discussion hasn't touched into whether or not the one who is dead can be considered evil considering we had epic discussions about QB .

So, let me start. What the fuck would you do to someone who doesn't realize that they are dead and have every other characteristic of a living human but is responsible for the calamities? Would you just kill [sic] them if you knew their identity? Should they even be considered at fault considering they know no more than any other student in the class as was implied by the explanation?

I wonder if the manipulation of memories and records happens automatically or if the dead who came back does it prior to turning into a student. Because that would be significant in my considering them a perpetrator or not.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2012-02-07 at 07:21.
Old 2012-02-07, 08:14   Link #96
Katapan
俺様祭り

What puzzles me (I don't think I've seen the issue addressed here, but sorry if I've missed it), is that the school's staff has to be aware of everything that's happening in class 3. They had to know that there was an effective counter-measure in place, though it could still be easily rendered useless. And yet what did they come up with? Placing the transfer student in that very class, with a number of students that should precisely not be messed with, and which obviously triggered the curse again because it could only confuse the class's students.

That would either make someone in the staff highly suspicious (which is already the case, mind you -- I haven't precisely picked up what was wrong with Ms. Mikami at the beginning, could it be remorse as she was the one to push forward the decision of placing Kouichi in that class?), or suggest that there's got to be some manipulation (from the other?) at work.

I do have to say that I liked episode 5 a lot. The first episode I'd actually regard as "good" from Another. The past four were mostly nothing but frustration on my end, but the current set-up is finally getting my mind speculating.
Old 2012-02-07, 08:17   Link #97
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
What puzzles me (I don't think I've seen the issue addressed here, but sorry if I've missed it), is that the school's staff has to be aware of everything that's happening in class 3. They had to know that there was an effective counter-measure in place, though it could still be easily rendered useless. And yet what did they come up with? Placing the transfer student in that very class, with a number of students that should precisely not be messed with, and which obviously triggered the curse again because it could only confuse the class's students.
I don't think the staff had much of a choice cause IIRC it was mentioned Kouichi was put in that class by the principal who was new and didn't believe in their 'tradition'.
Old 2012-02-07, 08:20   Link #98
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Wait a second here MC is 15 in 1998, so born in 1983

Mom was 15 in 1972, that's 11+ years alive before the curse claimed her
The curse didn't claim her when she was in the class. The curse claimed her when her sister, Kouichi's aunt, was in the class. Think about it - Kouichi is 15 years old, mom died after he was born. Aunt was in class 9-3 15 years ago. Coincidence?
Old 2012-02-07, 08:21   Link #99
Flo
The Necessary Evil

>mfw Episode 5

Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-07, 08:22   Link #100
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I started ruling out people as being dead, so lets continue
  1. As before, they have to choose the person to ignore before the extra person gets added because choosing the person to be ignored after the extra person gets added would require the acknowledgement of existence of the person to be ignored.
    This rules out:
    -Misaki, since she was chosen, she must have existed before the dead person was added, thus she can't be dead
    -Sakakibara, he came in after the dead person was added, thus he can't be dead
    -Akazawa, she chose Misaki, thus must have existed to choose her, thus must have existed before the dead person was added, thus must be alive
  2. Assuming the dead people are immune to the curse, we can rule out
    -Sakuragi
    -Mizuno
    -Heart attack kid (forgot name)
Closed Thread