AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2015-02-05, 09:08   Link #1
Silentwolfie

Ao shi jiu chong tian / Belittling the nine lands [Chinese webnovel/Manhua]

This is a chinese webnovel that I recently spotted as a manhua (and later read the webnovel chapters).

傲世九重天 -

傲世 (Ao shi) - Belittling / looking down on the world
九重天 (Jiu Chong Tian) - The nine lands in the in-text story. There are 3 regions (if I'm not wrong), lower region, central region and the upper region, which constitute as the 9 lands.

Protagonist Chu Yang (楚阳 - basically his name is comprised of surname + sun) starts off as an exceptional swordsman who has discarded his emotions, ultimately turning his back to his one true love in order to pursue a higher level of swordsmanship with his weapon, Nine Calamity Sword.

Ultimately his lover dies due to his carelessness and he gets betrayed by his best friend much later (later explained in story why the betrayal happened, pretty much cause and effect,
Spoiler for spoiler:
). Even though he achieves a greater level of understanding of the sword, he faces too many opponents and ultimately goes out with a bang.

Obviously story can't end that way, and lo and behold, our protagonist has gone back to when he's around 16 years old. The countdown begins to change his fate.

This novel tickled my funny bone so hard. Our protagonist obviously doesn't get his powerful body when he's like 30+ years old, so he had to start from when he's 15-16 years old.

At the same time he started to work on saving his one true love who's around 8-9 years old. I had to stifle my laughter when he had trouble being a lolicon (they met when they were 20+),
Spoiler for spoiler:

In order to prevent future tragedies, he took up a position of power by leading a high position in the government, and rooted out enemy spies. His subordinates, even though they were older than him, screwed up in an important mission (enemy was like 10 levels stronger), and he almost died.

Spoiler for Funny spoiler:

Out of all the webnovels I read over the few years, this was the one that me laughed so much I had problems breathing. My goodness. It's super entertaining to see how the protagonist deal with his opponents far above his levels with wit and dry snark.
Silentwolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 09:24   Link #2
senjiro
ecchi sage

this is similar to stellar? battle through heaven? or more in huang yi(step in the past)?
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 10:25   Link #3
elairz

oh this one. anyone translating the webnovel?
elairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 22:08   Link #4
capablanca

Anyone know why the the chapters start over back in chapter 1 after the first 400 chapters and the next 1000 chapters? Are those continuations of the previous stories/ start of new arcs etc?

I usually binge read till the end but found that I won't have time to finish all the 2000 chapters. So, if it's just the first 400, I can still managed it but not for the rest. I don't want to leave my reading hanging.

Oh, and this is more familiar to Battle through heavens etc where there's different power level rankings and power Dans to break through threshold etc. I'd gone through only about 50 chapters though.
capablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 00:20   Link #5
laclongquan

wuxia~ Or to be precise: chinese~

@silentwolfie: Are you sure you translate correctly the term? Jiu Chong Tan is/should be Nine Worlds/Nine Universe
Chong Tian, if I parse Chinese mythological terms correctly, is a separate world/universe. So tl it to lands get the impression that those lands are in one universe and imply that MC travel all over them or something~
laclongquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 07:51   Link #6
Silentwolfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laclongquan View Post
wuxia~ Or to be precise: chinese~

@silentwolfie: Are you sure you translate correctly the term? Jiu Chong Tan is/should be Nine Worlds/Nine Universe
Chong Tian, if I parse Chinese mythological terms correctly, is a separate world/universe. So tl it to lands get the impression that those lands are in one universe and imply that MC travel all over them or something~
A single character "Tian", is strictly heaven, sky, although it can be taken as "another world".

In-text states that there was only 1 land where 9 races lived together, then the very first nine calamity sword wielder separated the land and remade into 9 layers which were stacked on top of each other. Calamity (and hilarity) ensured when 5 layers had a physics problem and the layers collapsed, crushing the lands' creatures and killing off the races. These lands were then remade into 3 layers and stacked on top of each other, but then the name Jiu Chong Tian is retained to commemorate the 9 layers tragic event.

I write it as land because it's technically land. You know, humans are still restrained by gravity on the land, but I believe the image is

Upper region (land located high up in the sky)
Central region (land located in the middle of the sky)
Lower region (land on earth?)

So the Chong Tian (literally repeating skies) really refers to "the stacking lands in the sky", or maybe "celestial planes" if I really want to localize it. There are some fancy poetic kind of vibe on the title that I can't really localize it precisely and present it correct in English. And 9 worlds and 9 universes are absolutely wrong in this context. It's one world and only one sky.

But honestly I don't know how it works in physics lol (land floating in sky?). Just doesn't make sense in that department, so take the reading with copious grains of salt.
Old 2015-02-06, 08:46   Link #7
Amanomurakumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentwolfie View Post
A single character "Tian", is strictly heaven, sky, although it can be taken as "another world".

In-text states that there was only 1 land where 9 races lived together, then the very first nine calamity sword wielder separated the land and remade into 9 layers which were stacked on top of each other. Calamity (and hilarity) ensured when 5 layers had a physics problem and the layers collapsed, crushing the lands' creatures and killing off the races. These lands were then remade into 3 layers and stacked on top of each other, but then the name Jiu Chong Tian is retained to commemorate the 9 layers tragic event.

I write it as land because it's technically land. You know, humans are still restrained by gravity on the land, but I believe the image is

Upper region (land located high up in the sky)
Central region (land located in the middle of the sky)
Lower region (land on earth?)

So the Chong Tian (literally repeating skies) really refers to "the stacking lands in the sky", or maybe "celestial planes" if I really want to localize it. There are some fancy poetic kind of vibe on the title that I can't really localize it precisely and present it correct in English. And 9 worlds and 9 universes are absolutely wrong in this context. It's one world and only one sky.

But honestly I don't know how it works in physics lol (land floating in sky?). Just doesn't make sense in that department, so take the reading with copious grains of salt.
They stole the schematics from that city from Bioshock Infinite, but the name seems to have escaped my memory for some reason, I'll probably suddenly recall it two days from now, when I am not even thinking about it.
Amanomurakumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-08, 21:15   Link #8
riderguy

hmmm i so wanna read this
riderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-08, 21:31   Link #9
dragon1412

ah, this one, while the story is really good, but the author writing and characterization really urk me
Spoiler for This can really turn you off:
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 10:16   Link #10
Silentwolfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
ah, this one, while the story is really good, but the author writing and characterization really urk me
Actually I found the story to be just passable, while the writing style + characterization are sincerely the best toilet humor I ever read. It's really crass but it's ridiculously funny at the same time, leading me to smack the table and gasping for breath.

Not sure how
Spoiler for in response to the spoiler:
Old 2015-02-11, 10:24   Link #11
anonfr

Quote:
Meh, not that much of a turn off. Japan is accused of being racist towards China every so often, as well as being racist towards Koreans. It happens.

Or, you know, The author remembers nanking.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 10:25   Link #12
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Spoiler:
Old 2015-02-11, 11:25   Link #13
Silentwolfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhklan View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2015-02-11, 12:07   Link #14
dragon1412

Quote:
Actually I found the story to be just passable, while the writing style + characterization are sincerely the best toilet humor I ever read. It's really crass but it's ridiculously funny at the same time, leading me to smack the table and gasping for breath.

Not sure how
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
Meh, not that much of a turn off. Japan is accused of being racist towards China every so often, as well as being racist towards Koreans. It happens.

Or, you know, The author remembers nanking.
Spoiler for well, that's true:
Old 2015-02-11, 16:13   Link #15
Namorax

Quote:
*Snip*
Spoiler for Funny spoiler:

*snip*
I dont get whats supposed to be funny.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-13, 08:50   Link #16
Silentwolfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
I dont get whats supposed to be funny.
The elderly guy laughs at the subordinate getting scolded at, then gets scolded at with an even harsher lecture. It's also how the insult is carried out, because in chinese culture, any derogatory references with pig means stupidity. It's sort of a double entendre because the protagonist uses "pig's grandmother" to pretty much say "you stupid (elderly) subordinate".

It's a pretty sublime insult, so it's incredibly funny to me.
Old 2015-02-13, 10:18   Link #17
bearzerger

Quote:
My advice is to ignore the patriotic drivel. Many writers idolize their own country especially in a scifi setting. Chinese people regard the japanese and the koreans as their local rivals and vice versa. In american novels the USA is usually number one even if the USA doesn't even exist anymore and the enemies are either russia, china or german inspired and the doormat ally usually has french connotations. I think it just goes with the territory of mediocre writers.
bearzerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 22:24   Link #18
phoenixsbane

where to read?

Does anyone know where I can find an English version of the light novel? Id live to read it, but I can't find it!
phoenixsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-15, 00:51   Link #19
Apoptosis
Am I useful yet, guys?

This kind of sounds like Tsuyokute New Saga.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-15, 01:05   Link #20
dragon1412

^^ nah it isn't, Tsuyokute new saga is infinitely better.