AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-03, 13:46   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Cultural References in Lucky Star

I think that each one of us following this show will agree that references are definitely a key element in Lucky Star. Being them a quote from a different series, a citation from a tv spot, a joke about the anime business, or simply the depiction of a particular habit of daily life in Japan.

This thread is meant to discuss these subjects in all of their aspects.

On the same time, the objective is that of gathering the references we can get in Lucky Star, in order to create a list including all of them, possibly with explanations, useful links and so on. It's highly possible that a sticky will be created to serve that purpose.

Thread Guidelines:

- Always keep the discussion civil ad be polite with your fellow members.
- Don't go off-topic. This thread is about references, if you need to discuss events from the episodes, you have the episode threads.
- As usual, have fun.
Old 2007-06-03, 14:04   Link #2
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

This post will serve the purpose of keeping the seeking/organization of infos organized.
  • An episode marked in Red means that informations for it are completely gathered and there wouldn't be further need to work on it. However, you might still point out if you think that a reference has been missed, or if you want to provide your own (yet unprovided) point of view.
  • An episode marked in Blue means that there's a Work In Progress, some informations have been gathered but there's a need to check if some others can still be added.
  • An episode marked in Black means that no infos (or a very minor number of infos) were gathered until this moment.
  • An episode marked in Gray means that the episode hasn't aired yet.

Episode 01 ---> Up
Episode 02 ---> Up
Episode 03 ---> Up
Episode 04 ---> Up
Episode 05 ---> Up
Episode 06 ---> Up
Episode 07 ---> Up
Episode 08 ---> Up
Episode 09 ---> Up
Episode 10 ---> Up
Episode 11 ---> Up
Episode 12 ---> Up

Episode 13 ---> Up
Episode 14 ---> Up

Episode 15 ---> Up (auto reminder, need to add the Da Capo reference)
Episode 16 ---> Up
Episode 17 ---> Up
Episode 18 ---> Up
Episode 19 ---> Up
Episode 20 ---> Up

Episode 21 ---> Up
Episode 22 ---> no submissions yet
Episode 23 ---> Up
Episode 24 ---> no submissions yet

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-09-22 at 04:07. Reason: Updated
Old 2007-06-03, 14:11   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Episode 1:

Spoiler:

Episode 2:
Spoiler:

Episode 3:
Spoiler:

Episode 4:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-06-04 at 13:38.
Old 2007-06-03, 14:13   Link #4
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

This is an excerpt of what JEEB wrote on the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
A good start, in my humble opinion, would be the usage of Suzuki Shuuta's quiz blog (clicky) to bring out the most easily spottable ones (more or less, that is...) and then add more if they seem reasonable.

On the other hand the first post'll go pretty long then, as it was not exactly something small when I tried to write out the references for Episode 06 (clicky). It's not that long when it's just about one Episode, but there'll be 24 of them...
I like the outline he proposed, for a list. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be that long for each episode (even if it would be cool ^^), but I'd like if that kind of plan could be more or less followed

Kaioshin_Sama also offered his help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I could do it I suppose. All of it probably. I'm a fast typer with a great memory and a lot of time on his hands late at night. Of course since the plan is for a straight up list I won't do my usual opinion piece to go with the references.
It doesn't have to be a straight list, I'd like it to have some commentaries and links like in the example above. But of course, to bring the starting informations from the episodes would be a good start, and appreciated

What we need to do at this point of time, is to gather informations from episodes 1-8. (episode 6 can be not counted, since if JEEB gives me the permission, I might use that directly ).

Meanwhile, the references discussions on this thread can start.
Old 2007-06-03, 14:26   Link #5
aorta

The controller used in Episode 8 is called a Hyper Shot.

The game is Hyper Olympic.
Old 2007-06-03, 14:27   Link #6
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
What we need to do at this point of time, is to gather informations from episodes 1-8. (episode 6 can be not counted, since if JEEB gives me the permission, I might use that directly ).
You can count that as a-OK. You can use it directly. I'll be writing Episode 07 after this, since it doesn't have a list that long.

<EDIT> The link to the Episode 07 text. Not that much QC'd and misses some kanji (more rooma-ji) and might not have as lengthy explanations as with Episode 06's text. But still, it's not bad. Referenced through Suzuki Shuuta's quiz site and through various Wikipedia articles plus the Hatena Diary Keywords. </EDIT>

Last edited by JEEB; 2007-06-03 at 17:12. Reason: Adding the URL
Old 2007-06-03, 22:38   Link #7
PirateSkittles
Organization of Cute

Eh, here are the references I've found. Except those in my post, I either didn't find them or someone else already mentioned them. Most, if not all of them, are from Anime/Manga, so I'd like to learn more about "other" cultural references. ^^; I only did a couple of episodes, as I'm a bit too busy to watch them all at once, but I'll continue during my free time.
Spoiler for Episode 01:

Spoiler for Episode 02:

Spoiler for Episode 03:
Old 2007-06-03, 23:23   Link #8
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Spoiler for Episode 4:
Old 2007-06-04, 02:16   Link #9
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Oh good grief... it'd take me a whole day if I had to list them all. Not to mention having to watch them over again.
I'll skip the ones that's already mentioned in this thread, and obvious and repetitous references to Keroro Gunso and Top of Nerae! Gunbuster BGM reused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateSkittles View Post
Spoiler for Episode 01:
The opening sequence for every episode is a direct quote from opening sequence of Kaibutsu-kun anime series of the 80s.

As for the mayonnaise bit, it's not a particulary "anime" thing.
There's set of people in Japan that likes to eat everything with mayonnaise, and they are called "mayolers" by others.

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Spoiler for Episode 2:

Spoiler for Episode 3:

Spoiler for Episode 4:

There are tons of 70s and 80s Japanese cultural references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Spoiler for Episode 4:
In the above spoiler tag for ep4.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-06-04 at 13:31. Reason: x Behomalaa, o Behoimi / x Kanzaki Akari, o Kamigishi Akari
Old 2007-06-04, 05:29   Link #10
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It's getting really long, so I split my posts.
Here's episode 5-9.

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Spoiler for Episode 6:

Spoiler for Episode 7:

Spoiler for Episode 8:

Spoiler for Episode 9:

Last edited by aohige; 2007-06-05 at 01:24. Reason: Thanks for correction. I played both To Hearts, but got 神崎あかり from 大運動会 confused. similar names.
Old 2007-06-04, 05:36   Link #11
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The sticky is now up. At the moment I've only included the infos provided by JEEB about episodes 6 and 7, because they were well sorted out and I just need to copy/paste them (though it took me a while to change the tags to fit into this forum )

Thanks for the all contributions that came so far. They will be included soon.

Since I can't include everything (a post also has a digit limit), please make sure not to excessively repeat what others have already submitted (unless you provide new links, informations, point of views and so on )
Old 2007-06-04, 08:11   Link #12
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Thanks for making it... it's so neat and spiff!

Unfortunately I'm not otaku enough to catch un-obvious references that haven't already been mentioned, so I'm going to *slink away* now. (And I think the "mayolers" thing is really bizarre... there's a group of people who eat everything with mayo, and furthermore... there's a name for that group of people too. O___o)
Old 2007-06-04, 10:48   Link #13
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I see Konata reading a Galaxy Angel Rune Graphic Novel, which is published in Comi Di Gi if that's what people are referring to as the mystery novel in episode 4.
Old 2007-06-04, 15:34   Link #14
Boukenxha

This is pretty cool, absolutely mind-boggling to look at those long reference lists. There are a few more which I know but not mentioned yet and some I feel are missing some interesting details. And anyone who spot errors please correct me so as not to spread wrong information.

Spoiler for ep 2 - Koi no Apron:

Spoiler for ep 2 - man who balances a red wash basin on his head:

Spoiler for ep 3 - Ladybug Samba:

Spoiler for ep 4 - figurines on Konata's computer:

Spoiler for ep 4 - Kanisawa Kinu:

Spoiler for ep6 - Initial D:

I recall more references some of which kj1980 mentioned in the ep threads, MakubeX2 also mentioned a few including the Ponytail references and one of a game poster, someone noticed that Kagami was reading Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, Kaoru Chujo verified that the smoking middle age man is Ishihara Tetsuya, and Level E has a very good list on his forum. Seriously there are a lot of references!
Old 2007-06-05, 03:00   Link #15
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Sticky now completely up to date! Thanks to all the contributors.

Please try not to provide further informations about episodes 6-7 (unless they're strictly necessary), since they're full.

By the way, is that all about episode 1? (not that I'm particularly surprised, just asking ^^)
Old 2007-06-05, 06:25   Link #16
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Sticky now completely up to date! Thanks to all the contributors.

Please try not to provide further informations about episodes 6-7 (unless they're strictly necessary), since they're full.

By the way, is that all about episode 1? (not that I'm particularly surprised, just asking ^^)
Well, there is an unconfirmed reference (post by Skane, replying to CrowKenobi's theory): http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1002...
Old 2007-06-05, 16:34   Link #17
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Spoiler for EP6, ID:

Last edited by HashiriyaR32; 2007-06-09 at 15:18.
Old 2007-06-05, 22:42   Link #18
MissInformed

I need some help with this one...I remembered more similar scenarios...what I have sounds like a stretch. But, eh, just throwing this out there.

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Old 2007-06-06, 03:42   Link #19
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
I need some help with this one...I remembered more similar scenarios...what I have sounds like a stretch. But, eh, just throwing this out there.

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Nah...both come originally from their respective printed forms (novel and manga). It's all too common.

Good spot though. Common as it is, I missed that.
Old 2007-06-06, 06:45   Link #20
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Spoiler for EP9: