AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-20, 09:32   Link #701
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I think what we all want is to see Yuki step up in times of trouble for Yuno. No matter who you are, the man steps up and protects the woman, right?

Not saying women can't defend themselves, but it's something that should happen nonetheless.
Which he did... in episode 5.

That's what I don't get, obviously Yuki is developing into a non-wimp character. So why are people still raging on him?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 11:59   Link #702
kitten320

^Because he still is a wimp for 90% of an episode?
Old 2011-11-20, 12:51   Link #703
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
^Because he still is a wimp for 90% of an episode?
As well as throwing balls in the air and darts at scrolls, instead of trying at least to beat the crap out of a bunch of serial rapists does not exactly sound to me as the definition of GAR-ness

He should take his stalker as an example and at least try to split a head open with an axe, because there are 7 and probably more users out there ready to kill him in cold blood
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 12:53   Link #704
miketyson

Episode 7: wow. This covers what I think are the dumbest chapters in the manga, so I was expecting to just suffer through this episode. Instead, I think Asread did a remarkable job of it.

Spoiler for ep7 details:
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 14:08   Link #705
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Which he did... in episode 5.

That's what I don't get, obviously Yuki is developing into a non-wimp character. So why are people still raging on him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
As well as throwing balls in the air and darts at scrolls, instead of trying at least to beat the crap out of a bunch of serial rapists does not exactly sound to me as the definition of GAR-ness

He should take his stalker as an example and at least try to split a head open with an axe, because there are 7 and probably more users out there ready to kill him in cold blood
No, no, no, people! >.<
I want everyone to remember the events of Episode 5. Yuno does ALL the fighting while Yuki stands back and Yuno fights for the group to the point of exhaustion. She fights so much that she can't move and heroically pushes Yuki away to safety. Within hiding, hearing Yuno screaming is the only time he finally steps up; he almost even considers leaving her behind.

Like I said, Yuki's not a total wimp and I don't hate the kid, but I, amongst other people I'd bet, would like to see him step up BEFORE has HAS to; he should protect Yuno because he WANTS to, the second the danger of battle arises.

He doesn't have to be a rock-hard badass either. Just a decent improvement would be THEORETICALLY nice.
Old 2011-11-20, 15:44   Link #706
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well, how do you expect an average 14-year-old boy to fight a bunch of adults armed with weapons and brainwashed to kill?

I don't think many youngsters are mentally prepared for something like that. Yuno is abnormal for putting up a fight against them.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 16:15   Link #707
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep7:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 16:16   Link #708
kitten320

It might have been the case at firts but after facing so manhy freaks already, isn't it time to man up and maybe get some weapon?

Since it is a story, he'll be fine but in real life he would've been long time dead by now or later if he does not improve.
Old 2011-11-20, 16:32   Link #709
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
It might have been the case at firts but after facing so manhy freaks already, isn't it time to man up and maybe get some weapon?

Since it is a story, he'll be fine but in real life he would've been long time dead by now or later if he does not improve.
That's why his interpretation is realistic. We usually don't just "man up" in a few weeks. This isn't shounen fighting manga where the originally wimpy protagonist transforms into a fearless badass overnight.
Slowly but surely Yuki does develop. And yes, he already shows signs of manning up a little. But don't expect him to transform into someone else just because it's not cool.
By the way:
Spoiler for slight manga spoiler:
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 18:42   Link #710
Silverwyrm

Haven't watched it yet but never liked this part in the manga, glad its away with sooner than later I guess.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 21:20   Link #711
bigdeath

Not sure where all the hate for this arc is coming from. I thought this episode was a lot of fun. It seems the diary owners are all abnormal in one way or another. Yuno got another kill in the end but I like how that only happened after Yuki manned up yet again to save her.

Also, odd that the mad bomber girl saved them both. I guess she considers this pay back for saving her ass from that cult, even if just indirectly.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 21:54   Link #712
miketyson

bigdeath: I actually liked the episode, I thought they did the best job they could with some of the weaker chapters. In animated form these chapters would never be intense the way the previous arc was, but goofy can work, and I think it did here.

So in terms of all the hate? I'd say it's basically due to this: the manga starts out with a kinda gritty, pseudo-realistic feel -- it's not "realistic", but it doesn't feel that unrealistic either -- but starting with this arc the story gets a lot less grounded in reality.

I still think it's overall a great manga, but this arc is where the feel of the story changes a bit, and it's a bit of a shock when you're reading it.

By comparison, I also think the next arc is actually equally silly vis-a-vis this one, but I can easily see it turning out better in the anime than it was in the manga. That this episode turned out so well was more of a pleasant surprise.
Old 2011-11-20, 22:24   Link #713
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
bigdeath: I actually liked the episode, I thought they did the best job they could with some of the weaker chapters. In animated form these chapters would never be intense the way the previous arc was, but goofy can work, and I think it did here.
Agreed. Asread did the best job that they could considering what they had to work with, and kudos to them for wrapping up this mini arc in a single episode.

Can't say I'll be missing that annoying little brat Rei however. Regardless of their circumstances, smart ass children like that annoy the hell out of me. >__<

At any rate, with diary holders dying left and right now, I'm interested to see who will be the next to line themselves up to the chopping block before our almighty yandere. Let the next round of murder and mayhem begin!
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 22:49   Link #714
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

I have a LOT of suspension of disbelief
A LOT!
But you can only pull on it so hard, am I really supposed to believe that a 5 year old kid obtained
A Gas mask
lethal poison
antidote to said lethal poison
then plotted an elaborate plan to kill two people that nearly worked involving rigging an envelope with lethal gas.
He also tied up a grown woman and threw her outside all by himself.

I'm really excited to see how they handle this next episode when Yukki's mom see's a broken window and questions how she got knocked out.
Old 2011-11-20, 22:57   Link #715
miketyson

Trogdor: the story behind how the kid got that stuff is in one of the side-story chapters and is pretty funny. I won't spoil it in case it gets adapted as part of the anime, but again it is pretty funny.

I actually have a question: what's the deal with all the "elite" stuff Rei is spouting. I've read the manga and kinda get why it's in this arc, but it sounds really weird coming from Rei. Is it just something the author made-up? Or is it some kind of cultural thing or reference the audience is supposed to get?
Old 2011-11-20, 23:38   Link #716
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
I have a LOT of suspension of disbelief
A LOT!
But you can only pull on it so hard, am I really supposed to believe that a 5 year old kid obtained
A Gas mask
lethal poison
antidote to said lethal poison
then plotted an elaborate plan to kill two people that nearly worked involving rigging an envelope with lethal gas.
He also tied up a grown woman and threw her outside all by himself.

I'm really excited to see how they handle this next episode when Yukki's mom see's a broken window and questions how she got knocked out.
Actually... those things aren't too hard to hand wave:

1: Kid belongs to a crazy criminal fanatical cult = Gas Mask, poison, and antidote
2: He comes from an abusive home, a common reason for a child to become precocious (although granted the extent of it is pretty unbelievable)
3: The grown up woman was unconscious

That said it is easily the weakest arc of the whole story I think... well... maybe the second weakest.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 00:04   Link #717
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I don't know either, Episode 7 was the most fun I've had with the series to date. Sometimes not getting too invested in the manga before the anime is a good thing.

Episode 7: Demise at a Crossroads
Old 2011-11-21, 00:12   Link #718
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I preferred to just have fun with the episode. Entertaining chaos like Yuno racing around the house grabbing a breath where she can while trying to track down and murder that kid . It also showed a terrible scenario for Yuno and Yukiteru. Alone Yuki doesn't have any information, for the very reason that he's alone. Yuno has no useful information because Yuki is alone and it'd just repeat the same thing. If they aren't acting together they go from having almost complete information to having none at all.

Good move though by Yuki to leave and take some action. He doesn't do a lot, but when he acts he does some good things. That dart shot and giving Yuno enough air to finish things was nice.

But geeze Yuno, giving your potential mother-in-law a concussion is not a way to make a good impression...
Old 2011-11-21, 00:14   Link #719
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Yuki's getting better, for everyone who thinks I'm hating the kid. xD
Old 2011-11-21, 00:44   Link #720
Razziell22

I usually don't like wimpy, useless main characters, but i don't mind Yukki, i kind of even like him...And he's getting better as well (the one i can't stand is Shu from Guilty Crown, his voice and just everything about him annoys me )

Anyway, That was an Ok episode. Not as good as the others, but not bad. It was fun watching Yuno like always

Tags
psychological, shounen, yandere