AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-28, 09:40   Link #821
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Aru-kun was certainly the most entertaining part of this episode. A real Kaworu of Evangelion-type feel about him, not to mention he even looks like him; so I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on in that head of his.

At any rate, any mystery surrounding Hinata and our mysterious dog enthusiast has already been introduced and resolved. Not that it looked like there was any real intent to hide it anyway, but that 'normal' people have gotten involved in the Survival Game in such a way will be interesting to watch nonetheless.

And yes, Yuki is still painfully naive when it comes to trusting people, especially considering all he's been through already; though in his defense, he's gotten better than he was at the beginning.

A diamond in the rough that still needs a good bit of polishing, indeed. Personally however, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he handles himself in due time.

A decent episode all things considered. Though this diary user(s) feels quite a bit like Rei-kun in that it's a bit forced and simply there to get another one out of the way; but more importantly to serve as an introduction for Aru-kun.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 09:43   Link #822
Dark Wing

This kid should just paint a target on his back and start carrying around a big neon sign that says sucker...
Old 2011-11-28, 12:19   Link #823
miketyson

Why Yuno's queen of the yanderes: yandere is a well-known trope but not that popular compared to, say, tsundere. Yunos not the only yandere, but she's just about the only "yandere main-character" in a story that's this long. They're usually side characters, or only go yandere near the very end of the story, and so on.

So Yuno's the biggest fish in what's actually a very small pond.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 12:35   Link #824
Marina2

I have been wondering this since I read manga but students in this show don't have to wear uniform to school? It's unsual for Japanese school.
Old 2011-11-28, 12:41   Link #825
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Why Yuno's queen of the yanderes: yandere is a well-known trope but not that popular compared to, say, tsundere. Yunos not the only yandere, but she's just about the only "yandere main-character" in a story that's this long. They're usually side characters, or only go yandere near the very end of the story, and so on.

So Yuno's the biggest fish in what's actually a very small pond.
So you're saying that by comparison with a larger trope such as tsundere, an outstanding yandere shouldn't be given that much recognition simply for its smaller scale?

If that is indeed the case, I disagree. True, in today's anime industry there can be said to be an abundance of tsundere; pick any random season in recent years and you'd have no trouble finding at least one or two.

Bearing this in mind however; specifically because there are so many now, the standards to which they're held have declined somewhat.

When you think of a tsundere, there are really very few that stand out in your mind, such as Hitagi Senjogahara from Bakemonogatari. She was awesome, no question about it.

Now back onto yanderes, an admittedly smaller trope, and specifically with respect to Yuno; one really has to raise the bar if you want to set a standard that will engrave itself into people's minds and have them thinking about said character months, even years into the future whenever another yandere pops up.

As one who hasn't read the manga far enough along to see how truly descending into madness Yuno will go, I couldn't say for sure. But that so many people already speak of her as such is quite convincing.
Old 2011-11-28, 12:54   Link #826
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra View Post
Aru-kun was certainly the most entertaining part of this episode. A real Kaworu of Evangelion-type feel about him, not to mention he even looks like him; so I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on in that head of his.
That's not a bad comparison. I can't believe it didn't spring to my mind as well. They're even voiced by the same person, which makes the similarities all the more poignant. (I had to look that up to make sure, God it's been far too long since I've seen Evangelion now.)

Spoiler for minor Evangelion spoiler hint:
Old 2011-11-28, 12:58   Link #827
miketyson

No, I think Yuno's a great character and deserves her fame. I've read a lot of stuff (classic lit, modern lit, foreign lit, along with manga, etc.), seen a lot of stuff, and she's easily in my all-time top 25 most memorable characters (out of a crew of thousands).

So I think she deserves her title. But, at the same time, let's be real: there really aren't that many other yanderes out there. Here's why that matters:

For a tsundere you have a lot of comparisons you can make. If Senjougahara is supposed to be a good tsundere, you're probably familiar with lots of other tsunderes, and can kind-of see what's different about her and why she's such a better tsundere than the others.

For a yandere there aren't nearly as many out there, and most of them aren't main characters / don't get much screentime, so for a lot of people Yuno might be the only yandere they've ever encountered. If that's the case you would have a harder time getting what makes her better/different b/c you don't have too much to compare her to.

That's more what I was trying to say. Make sense?
Old 2011-11-28, 13:28   Link #828
bigdeath

Quote:
No, I think Yuno's a great character and deserves her fame. I've read a lot of stuff (classic lit, modern lit, foreign lit, along with manga, etc.), seen a lot of stuff, and she's easily in my all-time top 25 most memorable characters (out of a crew of thousands).
I agree completely. Yuno is my favorite character of this show and this show is the only anime/manga I can think of that has a Yandere as the leading role in an anime/manga this long. I feel that there is more to Yuno than just the shock value of a girl snapping near the end of a series as is the case for most yandere.

I'm looking foward to seeing what Yunos choice is at the end of this "game". I say its almost asured that it will involve "sucide". Why do I get the feel it will be double sucided with her trying to kill both herself and yuki. She can't live without Yuki, the focus of her obsession, but if she kills herself then she can't be with Yuki either unless he somehow gains the power to resurrect her as God.. Does she really have that level of blind trust? Somehow, I'm expecting some loophole where they kill each other and get to live happily ever after in some other life.

As for episode 8:

Yuki needs to learn to listen to Yuno. Whenever he does not bad shit happens. I wonder why these girls do not just immediately destory his diary. Do they think they can force Yuki to be their pawn or is it a simply fact that they want the power of another diary so they can't kill the owner. Of course, to get use out of Yuki's diary means turing Yuki into their pawn. This also screws over Yuno since her diary is dependent on Yuki's.

Though if the trend of this show continues, Yuki will in some way blunder is way out of this situation.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 13:28   Link #829
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
For a yandere there aren't nearly as many out there, and most of them aren't main characters / don't get much screentime, so for a lot of people Yuno might be the only yandere they've ever encountered. If that's the case you would have a harder time getting what makes her better/different b/c you don't have too much to compare her to.

That's more what I was trying to say. Make sense?
I understand what you're trying to say, but my point makes use of near the opposite side of the spectrum in that because there isn't much to compare her to, Yuno stands out as such a spectacular yandere in that she can be said to set the standard for it.

It's not just that she's a yandere, but that she has such a depth to her character that it exemplifies it to its full potential; allowing us to connect with her on an emotional level and understand why it is that she does the things that she does.

Now while there may not be many yanderes for comparison, one would be Kotonoha Katsura from School Days who went bloody crazy (no pun intended) at the very end with a saw and... well, you all know what happened. >__>

The problem there was that we had virtually no background or real insight into this girl's mind that would set her up for doing this. It didn't give us enough to make it very believable and so she comes off as a rather weak yandere.

That's by far not the case with Yuno and that's a large part of what makes her so memorable and defining as a yandere. It's not so much the trope itself but as to how it's portrayed and executed that sticks so firmly into people's minds.
Old 2011-11-28, 13:38   Link #830
miketyson

Sounds like we basically agree, then.

But yeah, if you hear "Yuno's queen of the yanderes" and go look up yandere on tvtropes it's hard to see what the big deal is, b/c she seems to be just a standard/textbook yandere. But, the reason she seems to be standard/textbook is b/c she more-or-less provided the example that elevated the trope beyond being just a bit of a silly thing that gets tossed in at the end of a series (like School Days).
Old 2011-11-28, 14:11   Link #831
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Does Yuki pay attention to his diary at the start? He's quite surprised when he notices that his former classmate Kousaka Ouji is in the same class as him. He also worries about not making friends or not knowing anyone even thought his diary makes it obvious that he's going somewhere with other people. It says on his diary the first time he looks at it in this episode.

Spoiler for Yuki Diary:

As for him not listening or trusting Yuno, you can't really blame him. She's pretty much saying "Let these people be the bait and die while we run away" which as we all know, Yuki could never do...at least, not yet. However, I do agree that he should at least consider listening to Yuno, especially after everything she's done for him.

Also, with all the faces and thoughts Yuki does, he reminds me of that guy from the game Catherine XD

Anyways, it will be interesting to see which numbers the two new diary holders are. And in my own personal opinion, I don't trust Aru...there's something suspecious and sneaky about him.
Old 2011-11-28, 14:39   Link #832
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

As people have said, Yuno is great because she is not just violent, but deep. The contradiction between her love and gentleness toward Yuki and her violence toward others is fascinating. It's an amazing feeling to be sympathizing most with a cold-blooded murderess. Yuki is being portrayed as such a fraidy cat as to be very hard to sympathize with. I expect Yuno will find a way to rescue him from the present crisis, and he will be so grateful that he realizes she is his only safety and they really will hook up. At least I hope so, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 14:40   Link #833
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's not really hard to figure out what's going on here. The original owner of the breeding diary left it in possession of Hinata and gave her a mission to feign a friendship with Yukiteru and get close to him and Akise, she shared this with her friend Mao and she agreed to assist. And even though Akise has a future diary, judging from the silhouettes of all the participants shown earlier on, he's not one of the people participating the the "god game".

So that leaves some mysteries at the moment. First, what is the connection between Hinata and the original owner of the breeding diary? The picture of Hinata as a little girl gives us a little hint towards that.

Next, why does Akise have a future diary when he's not one of the particpants in the "god game"?

Lastly, why does Hinata want to kill Akise? What is her motivation to do such a thing?

Anyway, can you really blame Yukiteru for what he did? The guy wants friends badly and for the first time ever he finally got what he wanted. I'd probably disregard Yuno too in that kind of situation.
Old 2011-11-28, 15:17   Link #834
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow i think at this point i want Yuki to get killed, the guy is an absolute idiot. He should really just listen to Yuno from now on. Glad to see Yuki's mom recovering in the hospital.

Akise was interesting. Wonder what his diary is. Since he wants to be a detective i would think it is something related to that, but it can't be the same as 4th's diary. He gave off vibes of not really being evil like the rest of the diary owners, but that can't be true because everyone is messed up some way.

Would like to have seen what Yuno would have done if she saw Yuki pull that move in class on another girl. Was actually thinking Mao was a diary holder since she always had her phone out. Though after they showed that picture it was certain that the old guy passed in on to Hinata and not Mao. I wonder what her diary is used for.
Old 2011-11-28, 15:23   Link #835
maplehurry

More people make an enemy of Yuki... sooo lame.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 16:01   Link #836
Xagzan

Christ, 4 of them in the same room. What are the odds?
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 16:08   Link #837
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Akise looking, acting, and sounding (same voice actor) as Kaworu-kun is 100% intentional.

Mirai Nikki ran in the same magazine as Eva, you know.

The author's original design was most likely a parody influenced by Kaworu-kun in the first place, and the anime staff ran with that idea even further by assigning him the same voice as Kaworu-kun.
Old 2011-11-28, 16:16   Link #838
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Oh damn...I never thought this deep into how the game would end. I just considered a "Romeo and Juliet" ending; the tragedy that was built upon another tragedy.

Maybe the entire game is set up; a major plot that involves the players in a way, and set up by some higher ups other than Deus. Or maybe Deus set it all up.

Who knows? But the beginning of Episode 1 still fascinates me.
Old 2011-11-28, 17:57   Link #839
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Good episode, but that "comedic" panty-exposing gag went on WAY too long. And it's always the pretty ones that are the homicidal maniacs, huh?

I also love how everything about Yuno just screams "don't listen to her", yet whenever Yuki doesn't, it always backfires on him.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2011-11-28 at 18:16.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 18:24   Link #840
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Aru resembles Lelouch@Geass ah! not by a long-shot... also the similarities with Kaworu@Eva go way beyond character design and mannerism
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psychological, shounen, yandere