AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-22, 17:41   Link #741
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Bokurano. Reality

I have already finished three-quarters of the story after concluding episode eighteen, and as expected from an anime adaptation to Mohiro Kitoh's manga the adult world bare its disgusting face on the most selfish and greedy nature.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 14:34   Link #742
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist

I just read the blog about the last ep so all my questions were answered. Ep 24... such a beautiful ep. *Sigh* I can't believe Bokurano the anime series is now finished. =/

Last edited by Marina Ismail; 2007-09-26 at 16:48.
Marina Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 18:52   Link #743
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuniiChan View Post
I just read the blog about the last ep so all my questions were answered. Ep 24... such a beautiful ep. *Sigh* I can't believe Bokurano the anime series is now finished. =/

I completely disagree. The ending left way too many open plot holes open. I was much more impressed with episode 23 than 24.
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 18:58   Link #744
Onniguru

It's still sad that it has ended, albeit

I'm only in volume 4 of the manga so I can't compare endings yet.
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 23:09   Link #745
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

And so it ends...

I'll give the series a 8/10. I liked the ending (though fairly sad), but the weirdness of some plot twists were, well, weird.

Plus, great opening and ending themes.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 07:44   Link #746
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuniiChan View Post

Would someone be kind enough to post the link for the blog for the ending.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:50   Link #747
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Would someone be kind enough to post the link for the blog for the ending.
Obvious warning is obvious:

Spoilers Ahoy!

http://psgels.blogsome.com/
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 16:24   Link #748
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru View Post
Obvious warning is obvious:

Spoilers Ahoy!

http://psgels.blogsome.com/
awww thats a sad ending but you know i can live with it at least it stayed true to the context of the story up till the very end.
Old 2007-09-28, 15:12   Link #749
Diedrupo

ep 24.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Diedrupo; 2007-09-28 at 16:21.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 20:33   Link #750
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
i wonder if anyone actually thinks in this series the old guy at the end of episode 18 basically admitted to using illegal means to get things and done and hinted that yes he and government were behind the string of deaths but no one seems to notice.
Yes, I just watched episode 18 and its end totally ruined my suspension of disbelief. No one becomes "the leader of the financial world" if he is dumb enough to say in front of journalists that the ends justify the means and who cares if people are dying since we might gate some l33t technology. WTF? And there are people who would try to exploit virtually every dangerous situation, true, but thinking about technological advances when every few days representatives of your world fight a battle for the survival of the planet is a bit too extreme. I'd understand if a few greedy idiots tried it but the whole governement? Man, they have some brave idiots in power there.

Councilor Komoda and Tanaka's deaths seemed forced to me, why didn't he just hide somewhere with his life? We have had enough pointless deaths already with all the kids dying.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 17:17   Link #751
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Bokurano. Mother

Although the show has ended last week, I will keep on going with fansubs' releases.

Before episode fifteen, I thought of Jun as a selfish and anti-social child holding no thoughts for the others. But how he reacted to the misfortune of Kirie's mother made a slight but deep change on him to start a little bit to open with the surviving others.

For this episode in particular all those resentful thoughts I held once for him were lifted off and vanished.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-03, 17:48   Link #752
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Wow ok 19 nearly made me cry. Even though Jun has been selfish, mean and bratty from day one I just cant help like the kid. The back story was nice.
20 was even better in my opinion seeing the evolution of how the "game" started and how Dung Beetle was started. No wonder he's a pain in the behind.
Ive really been able to stay away from any type of spoiler for this anime and I really cant wait to see how it ends.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 10:08   Link #753
Narutaru4ever

Hey if anyone notic bokurano is now licences by funimation
I didnt even get the chance to watch ep 19 now I have to go eles where to look at the rest of this wonderful anime.
Narutaru4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 17:03   Link #754
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Yes, I just watched episode 18 and its end totally ruined my suspension of disbelief. No one becomes "the leader of the financial world" if he is dumb enough to say in front of journalists that the ends justify the means and who cares if people are dying since we might gate some l33t technology. WTF? And there are people who would try to exploit virtually every dangerous situation, true, but thinking about technological advances when every few days representatives of your world fight a battle for the survival of the planet is a bit too extreme. I'd understand if a few greedy idiots tried it but the whole government? Man, they have some brave idiots in power there.
Actually, maybe it's just the X-Com fan in me, but I'm sort of predisposed to sympathize with the scientists; I think that the anime has been treating them unfairly. Their portrayal has been as cackling-robber-baron evil, which is extremely unfair.

No, seriously, think about it. Sure, we've been watching the kids all this time and feel sorry for them... but this is about a lot more than the kids. The government now knows, without question, that there is an 'alien' power in another dimension whose technology allows them to basically do whatever they want to us... and they know that this 'alien' power is so unbalanced and dangerous that they would basically force lower-tech civilizations to hold gladiatorial games to the death, with the civilization of the losing representatives getting wiped out completely.

How should the government react to that? There's no reason to think that playing the game actually accomplishes anything. From the government's perspective, after the 15th fight the Masterminds could have popped in and said "Hey, that was nice! By the way, we always lie to our pilots; we destroy your universe after the fights are over anyway." Or "Now fight another thousand robots, the TV show we run based on this needs higher ratings." Or "Give us 10% of your population in meat form, we want to eat you to prove our superiority."

The only sane response is to try and reverse-engineer Zearth's technology in the hope that it will provide some form of defense. Granted, it isn't a very good hope, but it's better than quietly letting your children fight to the death at the whims of evil madmen from another dimension.

It feels as though the writers want the Overlords to stand in for gods; we're supposed to just accept what they do and the rules they set, and the scientists are evil for going against this. Some are also shown as trying to get power and money, yes, but why is Kanji’s mother shown as evil, right down to having an generically evil face hamhandedly pasted on her? Because she values knowledge and the good of humanity even over the life of her son? Because she focuses on something that might actually matter instead of mindlessly trusting the homicidal maniacs who were making her son fight?

As far as I can tell, the kids aren't really doing anything to defend earth; they're buying time by playing along, sacrificing their lives to the Masterminds as a form of twisted tribute. Even if they all win, the earth is still just as much at the Mastermind's mercy at the end as it was before; and by staking the fate of entire universes on gladitorial games, the Masterminds have been firmly established as dangerous and insane.

Even the talk of 'releasing' people from the contract--what the show's writers apparently think the scientists should be doing instead of, you know, all that crazy-selfish research stuff that might eventually let humanity confront the Masterminds on equal terms--made no sense. The contract is not some random disease that the children are suffering from; it is an agreement they made with powerful Masterminds from another universe. No matter what technology is used, simply breaking it could just cause the Masterminds to destroy our universe by default.

I can't see any ending that doesn't confront the Masterminds in some form or another as being even remotely satisfying; and the only real way to do that is by reverse-engineering the bits of their technology that they let fall into our universe so they can be used against them.

I know that the anime has portrayed the scientists--except for Kanji’s mother, who has acted heroically in the defense of knowledge, earth, and her son, in that order, and has been inexplicably vilified for this--as greedy, shortsighted, and only interested in defeating other nations; most of them haven't been worrying about the Masterminds (except, again, Kanji's mother, who as far as I can tell has made the only effort in the entire series to confront them.) But I think that this portrayal makes no sense, as if the writers wanted to show scientists as evil, so they just gave them a muddled handful of bizarrely selfish motivations for no good reason.

Again: The plot to Bokurano, in a nutshell, is that we have been contacted by an advanced civilization, and they are threatening to kill us. And the show's moral is to vilify the scientists, politicians, and industrialists who could give us a way to actually do something about that beyond just giving the madmen from another dimension our children.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 17:56   Link #755
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

21 is out, the Triad are on a roll!
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 22:28   Link #756
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Bokurano. Doom

The truth has been spilt out now that Yoko chose to willingly contribute what she has lived through.

Spoiler:

And the story finally demonstrates that regardless of age, creed, status, wealth, or gender humans whether in masse or as individuals are capable of the most depraved acts.

Koemushii was just a monster of a child to my understanding.

And the humans of several Earths, like Kokopelli's, were just as bad or lowly to get their hands on that technology for whatever means possible just like in the children's Earth.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-06, 23:10   Link #757
Aquillion

Spoiler:
We know what happened to Kokopelli after that: He died, because he'd just piloted Zearth against the first opponent. It clearly isn't required for guides to do that (because they usually survive), but Kokopelli had to do it to make up for the fact that he'd let Kana avoid being contracted and, therefore, his daughter had to fight back on his earth to make up for the fact that he wouldn't be able to.

Quote:
And the humans of several Earths, like Kokopelli's, were just as bad or lowly to get their hands on that technology for whatever means possible just like in the children's Earth.
And... you think that this was a bad idea? No, seriously, read my post above yours. I feel that the actions Kanji’s mother took were heroic even before the revelations of episode 21; she is actually thinking of what's good for the entire planet, as opposed to the shortsighted selfishness of Tanaka and the other supposed "good guys" who were willing to disrupt the research necessary to defend all of humanity if it gave their precious little children a slightly increased chance of surviving. (Again, the mechanism they harp on to save them--breaking the contract--makes absolutely no sense in any concievable fashion; given that the contract is with sentient opponents who will presumably react in some violent fashion to such a betrayal, it is simply not a viable thing to investigate, especially when mimicking their broader technology to defend against it is such a vastly more pressing concern.)

But all that is moot, since it has been revealed, by episode 21, that:
Spoiler:
Granted, episode 21 reveals a few other things, too, which introduce even more problems:
Spoiler:
I'm fine with it being all metaphorical (since it certainly makes no sense if viewed literally), but even metaphorically--what do the scientists represent? Can anyone come up with an interpretation other than mine? Basically, no matter how I look at it the moral of the story so far is that we should kneel before superior Masterminds and never delve into their secret knowledge, which was not meant for our lowly ape selves. That... that's stupid.

The argument "we should not research that technology, because it could destroy the universe" loses a lot of its weight when 'that technology' is already being used by evil Masterminds who have expressed a willingness to destroy our universe. Maybe the show's moral really is that it's better to let the Masterminds threaten us, kill us, use our children as gladiatorial slaves, eat us, or whatever than it is to research evil evil technology and become like the Masterminds ourselves--but the writers should make that argument honestly. Right now, it feels like they aren't; they're just slapping evil-looking faces on all the scientist characters and repeatedly telling us how evil they are. It doesn't wash... are we supposed to be fighting the Masterminds, or not? If we are, what is the show criticizing Kanji's mother for? She valued the struggle to save humanity from the tyranny of the Masterminds above even the life of her own son. As far as I can tell, that is a heroic (if difficult) decision on her part.

Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-05-22 at 14:32.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 00:05   Link #758
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
The only sane response is to try and reverse-engineer Zearth's technology in the hope that it will provide some form of defense.
I think you have misunderstood me to an extent, I have absolutely nothing against the research per se, the more the better, after all it's better to try to light a candle than curse the darkness. It's just that the politicians and businessmen connected with them are mostly portrayed as people who regard the whole Zearth situation as some minor problem whose only potential value lies in developing new technologies which would fill their pockets. It's too narrow minded and delusional even by the standards of politicians.

And maybe I am forgetting something but I don't think the research for releasing the kids from the contract and that for finding a way out of the whole situation by turning agaisnt the real perpetrators are mutually exclusive, Kanji's mother seems to be conducting both. It would be quite a disappointing ending if they somehow release the few survivors (and maybe even resurrect the rest of the kids somehow) and the Masterminds show no reaction to that whatsoever and leave that Earth be without an explanation for this mercy.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 23:43   Link #759
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Bokurano. The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
Spoiler:
We know what happened to Kokopelli after that: He died, because he'd just piloted Zearth against the first opponent. It clearly isn't required for guides to do that (because they usually survive), but Kokopelli had to do it to make up for the fact that he'd let Kana avoid being contracted and, therefore, his daughter had to fight back on his earth to make up for the fact that he wouldn't be able to.

And... you think that this was a bad idea? No, seriously, read my post above yours. I feel that the actions Kanji’s mother took were heroic even before the revelations of episode 21; she is actually thinking of what's good for the entire planet, as opposed to the shortsighted selfishness of Tanaka and the other supposed "good guys" who were willing to disrupt the research necessary to defend all of humanity if it gave their precious little children a slightly increased chance of surviving. (Again, the mechanism they harp on to save them--breaking the contract--makes absolutely no sense in any concievable fashion; given that the contract is with sentient opponents who will presumably react in some violent fashion to such a betrayal, it is simply not a viable think to investigate, especially when mimicking their broader technology to defend against it is such a vastly more pressing concern.)

But all that is moot, since it has been revealed, by episode 21, that:
Spoiler:
Granted, episode 21 reveals a few other things, too, which introduce even more problems:
Spoiler:
I'm fine with it being all metaphorical (since it certainly makes no sense if viewed literally), but even metaphorically--what do the scientists represent? Can anyone come up with an interpretation other than mine? Basically, no matter how I look at it the moral of the story so far is that we should kneel before superior Masterminds and never delve into their secret knowledge, which was not meant for our lowly ape selves. That... that's stupid.

The argument "we should not research that technology, because it could destroy the universe" loses a lot of its weight when 'that technology' is already being used by evil Masterminds who have expressed a willingness to destroy our universe. Maybe the show's moral really is that it's better to let the Masterminds threaten us, kill us, use our children as gladiatorial slaves, eat us, or whatever than it is to research evil evil technology and become like the Masterminds ourselves--but the writers should make that argument honestly. Right now, it feels like they aren't; they're just slapping evil-looking faces on all the scientist characters and repeatedly telling us how evil they are. It doesn't wash... are we supposed to be fighting the Masterminds, or not? If we are, what is the show criticizing Kanji's mother for? She valued the struggle to save humanity from the tyranny of the Masterminds above even the life of her own son. As far as I can tell, that is a heroic (if difficult) decision on her part.
Aquillion after watching and understanding episode 21 and reading your entire post I must apologize to the adult characters of the show, particularly Kanji's mother.

It's like you posted the writers have no an exact idea of what they trying to make the audience to comprehend and realize.
Spoiler:

Yes, the show has ended about three weeks ago, but I'm taking my time to enjoy the subs as they come in and approaching step by step towards the conclusion.
Old 2007-10-14, 18:56   Link #760
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Bokurano. Journey

Praise to The-Triad since their pace at keep their releasing has been steady and consistent. I am just two episodes away from the conclusion, and since twenty-two was the last calm before the storm the remaining ones I hope they'll deliver a memorable climax.

Since the story has reached its last pause point, I felt somewhat relieved that Jun and Kana were able to spend some time as family.
Spoiler:

Tags
drama, mecha