AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2013-09-09, 20:06   Link #9521
mitsuganae

It is worth noting that whatever happens, Nagi and Ruka will be on good enough terms for the execution of the rather crucial favor towards the end of CTMEOY.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 20:28   Link #9522
GlassesLady
dat apple

Well, actually, now that that story has apparently been removed from the manga, that might not be the case anymore, depending on how Hata deals with that. Most likely that'll still be the outcome, though.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 21:05   Link #9523
madmac

Hata can still throw in stuff to tie the manga to CTMEOY even if he can't include the actual story in the manga. It's what he's been doing and I'd be very surprised if that isn't the plan at this point.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 08:32   Link #9524
GlassesLady
dat apple

I'd be rather disappointed if he just skipped that part of the story and expected people to watch CTMEOY to get it. Partly because there're things in the anime version that don't match up well with the manga (episodes 3 and 5, not that they're very consequential, as well as Ruka's rather weird role), partly because it'll probably make CTMEOY's detractors even more irate. But I guess we'll see.

Speaking of which, though... CTMEOY started in early September, right? Because if Athena's waking up in late August... she's probably not going to have a significant effect on the plot, unless the anime version cut her/whatever effects she had out (which would be another reason getting an actual manga version of the story would be better). Though if nothing much comes of her return, I have to wonder what the point of Alice was in the first place. Aside from getting Hina into the Violet Mansion (which could have been done any number of ways) and that chapter with Sakuya and Machina that hasn't been followed up on, I don't think she's really done anything vital.

Old 2013-09-11, 08:52   Link #9525
madmac

Quote:
I'd be rather disappointed if he just skipped that part of the story and expected people to watch CTMEOY to get it. Partly because there're things in the anime version that don't match up well with the manga (episodes 3 and 5, not that they're very consequential, as well as Ruka's rather weird role), partly because it'll probably make CTMEOY's detractors even more irate. But I guess we'll see.
At this point, I think he doesn't really have any option but to work around it. Putting the whole story into the manga would have been poorly received even if he could do it, and deliberately contradicting it isn't wise either for various reasons. Really, aside from a few things like Nagi's confession* it's a fairly self-contained story. "Watch this if you want to know more about Nagi's father, who will otherwise probably won't be mentioned much" isn't an unreasonable stance, really.

*I think it's honestly the trickiest part. He'll most likely have to write an entirely new scenario to the same effect.

Quote:
Speaking of which, though... CTMEOY started in early September, right? Because if Athena's waking up in late August... she's probably not going to have a significant effect on the plot, unless the anime version cut her/whatever effects she had out (which would be another reason getting an actual manga version of the story would be better). Though if nothing much comes of her return, I have to wonder what the point of Alice was in the first place. Aside from getting Hina into the Violet Mansion (which could have been done any number of ways) and that chapter with Sakuya and Machina that hasn't been followed up on, I don't think she's really done anything vital.
CTMEOY covers Sept 18-25. The Movie takes place two weeks after Comiket or whatever. There's a little bit of wiggle room, knowing how slow things can go in Hayate time.

Up to now, Alice basically hasn't been used for anything, yeah. I feel one of the weaknesses of the looong summer arc has been introducing a lot of new characters (Alice, Kayura, Ruka) and not doing much of anything with them except for Ruka.

She may still have a role to play but for now I'm setting my expectations for her not doing anything until Athena comes back. I think something at least moderately dramatic will happen before then, though.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-11 at 19:08.
Old 2013-09-11, 15:58   Link #9526
AstroNerdBoy

Depending on how long it takes to actually get there, once the doujinshi competition with Ruka ends, I don't think we'll see a whole lot of her other than occasional appearances.

As to skipping the CTMEOY story in the manga, that doesn't surprise me at all. Hata-sensei has shown he'll reference stuff that has happened in other places (the light novel for instance and the destruction of the video research club building). However, once the manga gets to the CTMEOY part of the story, I sorta hope he does a recap of things, even if in a humorous way.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 19:05   Link #9527
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
CTMEOY covers Sept 18-25. The Movie takes place two weeks after Comiket or whatever. There's a little bit of wiggle room, knowing how slow things can do in Hayate time.

Up to now, Alice basically hasn't been used for anything, yeah. I feel one of the weaknesses of the looong summer arc has been introducing a lot of new characters (Alice, Kayura, Ruka) and not doing much of anything with them except for Ruka.

She may still have a role to play but for now I'm setting my expectations for her not doing anything until Athena comes back. I think something at least moderately dramatic will happen before then, though.
Alright, I was completely wrong about when CTMEOY took place, then, but I also forgot about the movie, so it evens out. (Is the movie known to be manga canon, though?)

I kind of feel like Alice was wedged in as an afterthought to cash in from Athena's popularity despite Athena being fairly distant from most of the cast and the current story. The lack of anything regarding her mysterious condition aside from its introduction makes it feel like she wasn't planned to be there at all. Though if the timing works out, I can maybe see Athena being the one to "save" Ruka, if the story goes that route. Then again, she's still an idol in CTMEOY, so...

And I totally forgot about Kayura. And Yozora, for that matter. Darn this manga and its extremely stratified plot :P

Old 2013-09-11, 19:18   Link #9528
madmac

Quote:
Alright, I was completely wrong about when CTMEOY took place, then, but I also forgot about the movie, so it evens out. (Is the movie known to be manga canon, though?)
The movie introduced Kayura and foreshadowed stuff like the doujinshi competition, (You can see Nagi working frantically on her manga with Chiharu driving her on, and then selling her work at the same table as Ruka) and Wataru's new store, so I'd say it's at least borderline canon.

Quote:
I kind of feel like Alice was wedged in as an afterthought to cash in from Athena's popularity despite Athena being fairly distant from most of the cast and the current story. The lack of anything regarding her mysterious condition aside from its introduction makes it feel like she wasn't planned to be there at all.
I agree, actually. Just the fact that she's been a mascot character all the way until almost the end of the three months makes that pretty clear. Hata could just have easily had Athena pass on a warning and not appeared at all for the duration of the current arc and had as much impact.

Quote:
Depending on how long it takes to actually get there, once the doujinshi competition with Ruka ends, I don't think we'll see a whole lot of her other than occasional appearances.
Yeah, by that time Ruka's story should be wrapped up and her time in the spotlight will be done, more or less.

Quote:
As to skipping the CTMEOY story in the manga, that doesn't surprise me at all. Hata-sensei has shown he'll reference stuff that has happened in other places (the light novel for instance and the destruction of the video research club building). However, once the manga gets to the CTMEOY part of the story, I sorta hope he does a recap of things, even if in a humorous way.
A silly recap/reminder for people who haven't seen the anime would be amazing and I hope he does it.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-11 at 20:10.
Old 2013-09-11, 21:16   Link #9529
GlassesLady
dat apple

Thirding the comedic recap of CTMEOY. That sounds exactly like the meta sort of thing this manga loves to do.

... I'm almost expecting it to turn out that the Alice thing was just a three-month setup for a gag, and that Athena was just being a drama queen when she went to Hayate for help like it was something serious.

Last edited by GlassesLady; 2013-09-12 at 22:42.
Old 2013-09-14, 08:55   Link #9530
GDB

Great, so now Hata's making it so Ruka can't concentrate on her manga, and isn't even part way started. This is getting ridiculous. I thought she was already 90% of the way done last time we were shown her manga?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 09:36   Link #9531
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Great, so now Hata's making it so Ruka can't concentrate on her manga, and isn't even part way started. This is getting ridiculous. I thought she was already 90% of the way done last time we were shown her manga?
If I recall correctly, she had a manuscript (which she just showed to Kayura), but it wasn't good enough for her so she's trying to think of something else/add more to it.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 09:39   Link #9532
mitsuganae

Take love when love is given,
But never think to find it
A sure escape from sorrow
Or a complete repose.

-- Sara Teasdale
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 09:43   Link #9533
madmac

Last I remember Ruka saying anything about it she was working on a romantic comedy but wasn't sure about the ending. That suggests that she had her story board mostly done before Nagi did, not that she had already sat down and drawn the whole thing. You don't make story changes to a manga that's 90% done or else you're throwing weeks of hard work in the trash.

It's hardly surprising that both contestants are grinding it out a week before the deadline in any case. Always nice to see Kayura actually doing something, too.
Old 2013-09-14, 09:45   Link #9534
Shadow5YA

If the storyboard Ruka showed to Kayura is the final product, then personally I think she should lose as well. Her drawing skill is good enough, but you could easily tell she self-inserted herself into the story and didn't have a cohesive narrative in mind.
Old 2013-09-14, 14:15   Link #9535
ChampDream
Alive

Ruka's feeling have affect her in both her idol job and her manga, now I guess is Kayura turn to at least fix Ruka's manga, that it still need some work.
Old 2013-09-15, 02:16   Link #9536
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Ruka's idea just as amazing as usual.... well, although the ending is little bit.... inconclusive..
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 08:57   Link #9537
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
If the storyboard Ruka showed to Kayura is the final product, then personally I think she should lose as well. Her drawing skill is good enough, but you could easily tell she self-inserted herself into the story and didn't have a cohesive narrative in mind.
I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to work our your feelings through art... though it's true Ruka's uncertainty is showing through in the rather weak ending.

And Kayura I have no idea what you're referencing but that is one nice suit. Backstory is good, too.

Old 2013-09-15, 12:57   Link #9538
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
And Kayura I have no idea what you're referencing but that is one nice suit. Backstory is good, too.
Look up Comic Master J. You can find the manga easily on various sites. The basic premise is that there's this legendary assistant who can finish any mangaka's draft in no time at all and regardless of the art style, provided that your manga has a soul.
Old 2013-09-17, 15:33   Link #9539
AstroNerdBoy

I wouldn't have known the Comic Master J reference at all had it not come up in the Genshiken Nidaime manga with Sue cosplaying the character.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 14:46   Link #9540
ChampDream
Alive

so Hayate, Hina and the doctor lady are in Hokkaido, meanwhile Kayura said to Ruka to stop writing lies and Nagi is doing her best, but with doubts about Hayate, also I think she will get sick before completing her manga.

Tags
comedy, shounen