AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-18, 20:17   Link #1
Hera

People say "I love you" too much

What do you think about people who say "I love you" too much and/or to almost everyone they know?

I've seen quite a few in my life, I think they treat love too lightly, sometimes I can't help but think if they really mean it......
Hera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 20:42   Link #2
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

I know several people like this, and it doesn't bother me TOO terribly much...

I have several people I'll say I love you to, obviously, my kids, hubby and gf, as well as my father.

However, there are a few friends, such as my exbf, I do love (not in a romantic manner anymore, we're just incredibly close friends) but do not make a habit of saying it. While I may love many people (seeing as I'm poly, I get attached to people pretty strongly), saying "I love you", to me, signifies a higher.. level? for lack of a better word, and is reserved for those closest to me (aka in a relationship with or my kids/father).

It may be different for others, or mayhaps they crave to BE loved so much they "give" love to everyone...

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 20:49   Link #3
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
The phrase is a bit overused in my opinion...

Honestly, it makes me... roll my eyes, when the girl I secretly admire says that to me in casual conversation, usually after I help her out with something, and yet the tone of her voice is reason enough to know she's not taking that phrase seriously. Of course, when I reply "I love you, too" even in a more... sincere tone, she doesn't take it seriously. Oh, the painful, irony...

Right then... There's of course, the "I love you, man" between bros, the "I love you" towards friends and relatives, and such...

Quite frankly, I'm finding it ironic that I personally live in a society that deems the phrase "I love you" to be more friendly and casual than "I like you" which of course, as soon as someone hears that, they automatically assume romantic feelings... Am I the only one who sees this, or what?
Old 2011-02-18, 20:52   Link #4
Hera

You meant when someone hears "I like you," they assume romantic feeling?
Hera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 20:55   Link #5
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
You meant when someone hears "I like you," they assume romantic feeling?
An odd trend, yes, but that's what I'm noticing. I mean, "I love you" is simply thrown around, quite a bit. Of course, due to the fact that I'm still in High School, perhaps I'm simply around people who've yet to fully grasp the magnitude or concept of the phrase... or, perhaps the phrase has simply been redefined by this generation of ours, in which we everyday seem to be breaking free past the usual traditions and normalities of youth...

Good lord, I feel much older than I should be, to be dissecting the definitions and inner-most workings of simple phrases people throw to each other back and forth...

I'm probably not making any sense at this point, and am simply ranting, so I'm just going to reply to the quote above with, yes.
Old 2011-02-18, 20:59   Link #6
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's certainly a phase used often but there's just many variations, such as one between friends and family, which is mainly used just to tell them you'll always care about them.

I can't really explain why, but when someone says "I love you" in the the romantic sense, I think you should just be able to tell instantly if it's genuine or not. The way they're acting or the situation you might be in will certainly help you recognize any affection behind those words as well.
Old 2011-02-18, 21:03   Link #7
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Well, tone of voice is the main key factor in determining just to what extent someone loves someone/thing.

Sincerity, sarcasm, adoration, casualness, ect.

Those really tell you perhaps what someone means with the phrase. There are other signs, I know, but I feel like I've ranted enough this page...
Old 2011-02-18, 21:44   Link #8
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
smash mouth -
three little words are thrown around so much
that after a while they begin to lose there touch.

i feel awkward to quote songs, but here i agree. so "i love you". mmm. and again...mmm???
what the hell does that even mean? why not just elaborate, skipping the love part? its one of those things that girls like to hear. maybe boys too. but i could not say it to anyone, because it would be too undefined, meaningless and well, yes, corny. i would use other words than love. a whole lot of words, forming many sentences, actually...
love is like moe - the word you think you understand, but you don't.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 21:46   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If anything, people say it too much, but actually do it too little. Quite frankly, it's the second that the world desperately needs right now.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 21:48   Link #10
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Rule #1: If you're just starting to date, and it's high school, it's a load of bullshit when they deem it "love."

Just the other day my friend posted on Facebook that he broke up, and that he had wished this specific relationship was the one to last and that she actually cared for him.

You know what I told him? I told him that if it didn't last, she obviously didn't care for him. Simple. Harsh, yes, but that's how it goes. you want to play around like little children go ahead. But don't expect real shit to be happening. I'm in a relationship now, but I surely don't LOVE her. It's a silly high school game, if you ask me.
Old 2011-02-18, 22:02   Link #11
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If anything, people say it too much, but actually do it too little. Quite frankly, it's the second that the world desperately needs right now.
Agreed; the word seems to've lost its meaning as time goes on.

Then again, when something is said too often, you become desensitized to it (like someone saying they're "sorry" about something after doing it for the 18th time in a week.. you just don't believe them anymore).

Nopw, I've had someone say they're head over heels for me after the first date (yeah stalker creepy wtf guy that was the ONLY date), and one of my ex's asked me to marry him after a few months of talking online and spending a week together...

At what point (if any) does the word "love" lose its meaning for you? Do you think people today use it inappropriately? aka, do they say "love" in stead of "am fond of" or some similar theme?

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 22:10   Link #12
idiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Agreed; the word seems to've lost its meaning as time goes on.

Then again, when something is said too often, you become desensitized to it (like someone saying they're "sorry" about something after doing it for the 18th time in a week.. you just don't believe them anymore).

Nopw, I've had someone say they're head over heels for me after the first date (yeah stalker creepy wtf guy that was the ONLY date), and one of my ex's asked me to marry him after a few months of talking online and spending a week together...

At what point (if any) does the word "love" lose its meaning for you? Do you think people today use it inappropriately? aka, do they say "love" in stead of "am fond of" or some similar theme?
yes ignore me.
anyway, love is too undefined and abstract and SUBJECTIVE!!! yeah, guess what, every person thinks love is one thing but when he tells the other person, it turns out the other person thinks its something ass backwards.
while "i am fond of you" has very specific meaning. nothing to be confused about here. that is why i am against generalising words like "love". better to waste half an hour explaining to a girl what you feel, without using the word "love", than to just say "i love you". i think the emptiness of the phrase can be understood even by some girls.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
Old 2011-02-18, 22:16   Link #13
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
while "i am fond of you" has very specific meaning. nothing to be confused about here.
IMO just saying "I'm fond of you" can still be rather abstract depending on who you say it to; after all, saying it in the first place implies you have some deeper feelings for the person you're saying it too, regardless off if it's familial, friendship, or romantic. It's really just a more low-key, indirect way of saying "I like you" or "I love you".
Old 2011-02-19, 01:06   Link #14
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'll be easily shocked or surprised when somebody says "l love you" to me.

But I sometimes say it my self when I feel saying it.... they knew I was just playing around..... and l like the way they react..... hehehehe
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 01:22   Link #15
idiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
IMO just saying "I'm fond of you" can still be rather abstract depending on who you say it to; after all, saying it in the first place implies you have some deeper feelings for the person you're saying it too, regardless off if it's familial, friendship, or romantic. It's really just a more low-key, indirect way of saying "I like you" or "I love you".
okay, lets put it this way. "love" has a speacial magical meaning to most ppl. its smth big, eternal, true. almost like god. it has HUGE significance in the minds of ppl. and because of that expectations rise and ppl are let down.
"fond of" doesn't have that significance, even if abstract. ppl will react more normally to it and won't hold you responsible ("but you said you loved me! then why?!")
Old 2011-02-19, 09:32   Link #16
LeoXiao
思想工作

In my entire life, I cannot remember having ever said "I love you" to anyone. There are people I love, but I would feel weird if I ever had to say it so directly.

Quote:
smash mouth -
three little words are thrown around so much
that after a while they begin to lose there touch.
This seems about right. I would probably only say "I love you" to someone if I were about to die or something.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 09:53   Link #17
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
good one, i fully agree
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 09:58   Link #18
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I throw around I love you all the time with friends, when after doing something assholish or being insulted or hit I just go "Love you too"

But I do have that cynical bastard in me that laughs in sarcastic disbelief when I see my friends saying "I loved him", "I love you" in a serious manner when they are merely 15/16 causing the asshole in me to shout "Ah still haven't learnt your lesson from the last person you 'loved', ah retards...they never learn"

I love most people in the phileo (brotherly) way and that is what I mean when I say it. Its three words, not really hard to say, I can say it in the most serious tone with the most serious/sincere face and say "I love you" then stand up laugh and say "Just kidding"

People put too much meaning in words.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 10:02   Link #19
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Sir, you lie. People almost never say those words in my language.
Old 2011-02-19, 10:20   Link #20
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Everything said too much people stop listening to