AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-04, 02:01   Link #261
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, from the very moment he poisoned people, the flashbacks already showed why he did it and made his situation more sympathetic already. We'll see if he really takes the bad guy role or not.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 14:53   Link #262
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Well, from the very moment he poisoned people, the flashbacks already showed why he did it and made his situation more sympathetic already. We'll see if he really takes the bad guy role or not.
Yeah I know. It's just when you have a guy that's poisoned people handing out candies you get a little worried . I mean he could take out that school in no time. We'll see how he turns out. There is potential for him to not be that bad, but I'll assume the other way for now.
Old 2009-09-04, 15:12   Link #263
Miles Teg

Crunchyroll Adds Beast Player Erin Fantasy Anime Today

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...sy-anime-today

Quote:
The media-distribution website Crunchyroll has announced on Friday that it will start streaming the first four English-subtitled episodes of The Beast Player Erin (Kemono no Sou-ja Erin) anime series at 5:00 p.m. PDT. It will then simulcast the 34th and latest episode on Sunday at 3:00 a.m. PDT, followed by the remaining earlier episodes over the next several weeks. According to Crunchyroll, the anime will be available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, United Arab Emirates, Singapore, Malaysia, and the Philippines.

The adapts The Beast Player (Kemono no Sōja), a fantasy novel epic by Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit author Nahoko Uehashi. The story centers around a girl who can control the greatest of beasts as if she was playing a musical instrument. However, she gets embroiled in a war for supremacy between kingdoms. The Production I.G (Ghost in the Shell, The Sky Crawlers, Blood+) and Transarts (The Prince of Tennis, Vampiyan Kids) studios split the animation production duties. Takayuki Hamana (The Prince of Tennis, Library War, Chocolate Underground) is directing off the scripts that will be supervised by Jun'ichi Fujisaku (Blood+, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Real Drive).
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 19:19   Link #264
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Episode 34, huh? I wonder if a certain group that now must remain nameless will fill in 32 and 33 soon. I certainly don't want to wait until Crunchy's finishes replaying 1-31 to see them. Some of you can watch raws to fill in the gap, but I'm afraid I'm not in that group.

How exactly does this help anyone except raw viewers? People new to the series won't want to start at episode 34, and those of us watching subs are faced with a gap. This decision also puts the subbers in a bind; should they continue their work now that the show is licensed, or should they at least fill in the gap?

Here's a hint to Shinji and friends. Put episodes 32-33 up on the site before continuing with 5 and following. I'll be glad to comply with the licenseholders' wishes and watch it on Crunchy. Just give me the chance to stay in sync.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 20:49   Link #265
npcomplete

Well obviously folks new to the series would just start at ep 1. Folks watching the fansubs who want to show CR some love would just wait a bit. Folks who may want to support it but can't due to geo restrictions (like Miles here ) will just stick with the fansubs

But yeah, in general I wish they would they would take into account the fansub status whenever they start in the middle of a show.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 22:00   Link #266
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 29, with special guests, Siegfried & Roy

Seriously, though... Erin got overconfident and careless, and paid dearly for it - but at the same time she's still taking steps toward discovering what kind of relationships people and beasts can have.

I've seen a lot of talk lately about all the short-run series that have come along during the summer season - a lot of them deserve the praise they're getting, but you can also argue that the best series of the year has already been around for the past 30-odd weeks or so.
Episode 29 reminded me of another lion

Indeed, this is the best anime of the year (or maybe more) to me

Erin Gallery: Childhood

I'll try to catch up with the episodes in the 30s this weekend
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 16:50   Link #267
LordCalgar1984

Hopefully this series will still be fansubbed. I cannot watch it on crunchyroll, because of geoblock, so this is my only chance to watch it.
LordCalgar1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 19:30   Link #268
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCalgar1984 View Post
Hopefully this series will still be fansubbed. I cannot watch it on crunchyroll, because of geoblock, so this is my only chance to watch it.
All signs point to it not being dropped. That's what I hear on the street, anyway.

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2009-09-05 at 19:46. Reason: Oops. Sorry.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 19:32   Link #269
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post this link here. If I'm not, please accept my apologies, and go ahead and delete it.
It's not allowed, so you should delete the link.
Old 2009-09-11, 07:18   Link #270
Eclipze

Spoiler for ep 32:

Last edited by Eclipze; 2009-09-13 at 03:00.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 07:41   Link #271
deranged_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitking View Post
Episode 31 just made me want to stop watching this series. I was hoping they really wouldn't have Erin flying on the Lilan's back, but in hoping I kind of expected it. It reminded me that this show is a sucky family anime, and children watching it must have been put in a state of awe. It would've been awesome if Lilan had crashed into the sea and broke a wing.
I dunno about that but, if Lilan did broke her (a) wing/s, wouldn't that mean that the story won't progress for a while? And I have to say, the flying scene with Lilan was amazing.....even if it was shown twice in that episode.
deranged_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 17:12   Link #272
bbee

We're finally caught up to Japan with subs, atleast until ep 35 airs tomorrow. Who'd have thought we'd get here when at one point the backlog was something like 15 eps?

With the new step the show is taking, hopefully more people will be attracted to it. Just like the development in Seirei no Moribito, I'm guessing there will be a gradual weaving together of the "court intrigue" subplot with the main thread of the story.
I'm happy that the author didn't turn in the most evident direction to achieve this, namely someone from the court noticing Erin's ability and making her answer to the queen. Instead we're getting more intrigue with the posoning of the beast lords; this should allow Erin to roll more naturally into the court plotline. Let's just hope that the remaining 18 episodes will be enough to set up and resolve the conflict as thoroughly as Erin's life in the previous episodes.
I'm happy that they've finally made this step, but for me the best episodes will always be the ones where Erin and John retreat to the summer hidaway in the mountains, and she learns to play the harp. Such sweet melancholy

So where do we stand on the relation between the masked assailant that commited suicide when he was cornered, and the poison person at Kazalm? Are they both Saigamul, or is there another faction like Ial seems to think?
My best guess would be that the man in the mask was Saigamul, while the poison teacher is being directed by a third party, like say the blonde heir at the court (I forget his name).. Or maybe the son of the Grand Duke has resorted to more sinister means to unify the kingdoms, having failed to convince the queen's daughter? Can't believe that we're seeing such intrigue in a children's show

By the way, I remember predicting way back when Erin's mother was executed, that she had infact poisoned the touda herself. Glad to see that I was right
Now if only they hadn't changed the OP to something 10x worse..
Old 2009-09-11, 17:40   Link #273
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
My best guess would be that the man in the mask was Saigamul, while the poison teacher is being directed by a third party, like say the blonde heir at the court (I forget his name)..
All the masked guys work for Damiya (the blond dude) IMO. This is the third party that wants to frame the Saigamul. Why? Because the Saigamul are part of the Grand Duke's people (though the Grand Duke himself regards them as nothing more than revels), and what Damiya wants is to discredit the Grand Duke.

Why does Damiya want that?

The answer is Shunan, the Grand Duke's son. He is the one Damiya fears the most, because Shunan is the only one who understand the Saigamul, and the Grand Duke's people in general, are as much part of the kingdom as the people from the capital. Besides, Shunan already knows there's someone else other than the Saigamul behind all the incidents.

Anyway, it's pretty clear all the masked guys (including Kirik, the teacher) are working together: Kirik poisoned the best lord, while someone else poisoned that girl from the court (with the same poison), and the rest of the masked guys (included the one that was cornered) were commanded to retrieve the antidote so that neither the beast lord or the girl could be saved. Note that Ial figured this out.

So yeah, they're all working together, and they are not the Saigamul.
Old 2009-09-11, 21:26   Link #274
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Spoiler for Ep32:

Spoiler for Ep33:

Anyways I'm loving this whole watching 2 episodes in a row thing .
Old 2009-09-11, 23:33   Link #275
silverwolf0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

Spoiler for Ep33:

I think those two are fill-in characters. This is not the first time they have used the duo to spill the beans for something. There is probably no mention of how so and so learned the information in the novel, or maybe the way they obtained it isn't very interesting. They are pretty convenient for these situations, at least for a children's show.
silverwolf0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 04:29   Link #276
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post
I think those two are fill-in characters. This is not the first time they have used the duo to spill the beans for something. There is probably no mention of how so and so learned the information in the novel, or maybe the way they obtained it isn't very interesting. They are pretty convenient for these situations, at least for a children's show.
Yeah it makes sense for me to think of it like that. Though just looking at it from the story perspective it worries me every time they are given any kind of information. I just have this concern about the guy that poisons people and hands out candy getting anywhere near Erin .
Old 2009-09-12, 04:43   Link #277
bbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
All the masked guys work for Damiya (the blond dude) IMO. This is the third party that wants to frame the Saigamul. Why? Because the Saigamul are part of the Grand Duke's people (though the Grand Duke himself regards them as nothing more than revels), and what Damiya wants is to discredit the Grand Duke.
Why does Damiya want that?
The answer is Shunan, the Grand Duke's son. He is the one Damiya fears the most, because Shunan is the only one who understand the Saigamul, and the Grand Duke's people in general, are as much part of the kingdom as the people from the capital. Besides, Shunan already knows there's someone else other than the Saigamul behind all the incidents.
Anyway, it's pretty clear all the masked guys (including Kirik, the teacher) are working together: Kirik poisoned the best lord, while someone else poisoned that girl from the court (with the same poison), and the rest of the masked guys (included the one that was cornered) were commanded to retrieve the antidote so that neither the beast lord or the girl could be saved. Note that Ial figured this out.
So yeah, they're all working together, and they are not the Saigamul.
That's a pretty interesting theory. But you're not giving the real Saigamul any part in the plot? What about Ial's teacher, the one that took him from his mother after his father died? Don't we know for a fact that he turned to the Saigamul, and that's why Ial had to kill him?
I'll grant that it's pretty unlikely that the same poison would have been used by two different parties at the same time (against the queen and the beast lord). But maybe they were both poisoned by Kirik, and the masked man that killed himself was just trying to take advantage of the situation?
In your theory Damiya is the only mastermind. Clearly he's up to something since he's trying to win the princess' favor (and maybe get rid of the queen), but what would he have to gain by inciting a revolution in the kingdom? Poisoning the beast lords might topple the queen, but why would he want to implicate the Saigamul? It can't just be that he's trying to stop Shunan from unifying the kingdom, because then he could have poisoned Shunan himself and been done with it.
And we still don't know what Shunan himself is up to.. Lots of possibilites
bbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 08:25   Link #278
Kazu-kun

Quote:
That's a pretty interesting theory. But you're not giving the real Saigamul any part in the plot? What about Ial's teacher, the one that took him from his mother after his father died? Don't we know for a fact that he turned to the Saigamul, and that's why Ial had to kill him?
That only tells us that the Saigamul exist, and that they are dissatisfied by how things work in the kingdom. But no connection between the real Saigamul and the masked guys has been shown. In fact, Shunan claims those guys are not the Saigamul, and now Ial is beginning to think the same.

Quote:
I'll grant that it's pretty unlikely that the same poison would have been used by two different parties at the same time (against the queen and the beast lord). But maybe they were both poisoned by Kirik, and the masked man that killed himself was just trying to take advantage of the situation?
For starter Kirik is a masked guy himself (In fact, he was the first masked guy to appear in the series). And no, Ial figured it was all part of a plot (go and watch again, when he asks Erin why she needs the antidote), and I think Ial is right. All the the masked guys (Kirik included) are working together, and they're not the Saigamul.

And now we also know Kirik is receiving direct orders from Damiya because of the flower that came in the package he received (remember?).

Quote:
In your theory Damiya is the only mastermind. Clearly he's up to something since he's trying to win the princess' favor (and maybe get rid of the queen), but what would he have to gain by inciting a revolution in the kingdom? Poisoning the beast lords might topple the queen, but why would he want to implicate the Saigamul? It can't just be that he's trying to stop Shunan from unifying the kingdom, because then he could have poisoned Shunan himself and been done with it.
And we still don't know what Shunan himself is up to.. Lots of possibilites
Well, for me things are pretty clear, but to each its own.
Old 2009-09-12, 09:56   Link #279
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Ep.34: Yay plot. As always it is advancing at a very slow pace and at the end not much changes save for some development in the character relationships, however we do get sign that something big is going to happen soon.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 00:10   Link #280
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Spoiler for Episode 35:

Erin has definitely become one of my all-time favorite characters. She's smart and inquisitive without being obnoxious about it. I love the way she approaches problems and figures them out. Have you noticed, though, that at 18 she's big enough to wear her mother's bracelet as a bracelet, yet she still has it on a string around her neck.

Meanwhile, today someone on Facebook posted this YouTube video of a live and "unplugged" performance of the OP.

I also found this music video of Hoshii Nanase, who does the voice for Erin. This song was used as the second ED for Capeta.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, production i.g.