AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-17, 13:47   Link #1
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Transferring Emails

I have to move some emails from a outlook express to another computer, there are about 2000 of them. That computer is being given away so I'm bringing them over to a new one. Never done this before is there any way to do this?

thanks for the help
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 14:46   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What version of Outlook are you using, exactly? I believe Outlook does have a backup/export utility that you could use; just export your emails, save the export file, bring that file over to the new computer, and then using Outlook on that computer, do File > Import and select that file. All of your emails should come back into Outlook. In my experience, exporting and importing is never a 100% smooth process - that is, if you sorted your email, you may need to sort it over again.

If you'd search on Google, this would have been a result. Quoting the part that contains instructions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
simply locate the storage folder, (the outlook express folder with all the
DBX files) and burn it to a CD. Back up the entire folder, not just the DBX
files within. Then, use the file/import menu in OE, on your new machine,
choose to import "messages", then "outlook express 6 messages", then select
to import from an OE store folder, and point the wizard to the backed-up
storage folder on the CDRW. Do not point the import wizard to the DBX files
themselves. It has to be the storage *folder* that contains them. Else, it
won't locate your OE message folders properly. That's why you need to back
up the folder that contains the DBX files, not just the files themselves.
These posts are from 2004, however, which is why I ask what version of Outlook you're using. The instructions should work for you, but if the versions are too different then it might not.

Thor from the other forum also states a few posts down that the export and import functions, as I initially suggested, don't work for going from Outlook to Outlook, but are intended for other programs. Someone else says that it worked for them, however. You can try both - using export/import seems like it'd take less effort.
Old 2008-02-17, 16:28   Link #3
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Well the one I'm transferring it from is the Outlook Express 6 that all windows xp system has, but the 2nd computer I need to put it on is a VISTA and I'm not sure if it is also outlook express, it's call "Windows Mail" or something. And google wasn't clear on this.

I'm not a tech wiz and these Emails are my dad's and I really can't afford to have anything happen of any of them during the transfer or he will be nothing short of furious.
Old 2008-02-17, 18:06   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I see. Here's a more specific Google search.

I quickly scanned the results and CNet's result is probably the most helpful, direct, and reputable. I'll copy it here:

Quote:
Microsoft Mail replaced Outlook Express...
by John.Wilkinson - 3/12/07 6:46 PM
In reply to: How do I transfer my Outlook express email files to Vista? by TVSALES

It's part of the "Windows Live" rebranding plan. There have been a few changes, but under the hood it is more or less the same Outlook Express of XP. The easiest way to transfer everything over is to use the Export command in Outlook Express to save all messages and contacts to separate files, copy them over to the Vista PC, and then use the Import option (from the File menu) to bring the data into Windows Mail.

I would also like to note that the free program Windows Live Mail Desktop, currently in a stable public beta test, is intended to be a replacement for both Outlook Express on XP and Windows Mail on Vista. (Development fell behind, which is why it's not pre-installed in Vista.) You may want to consider 'upgrading' to it.

Hope this helps,
John
Old 2008-02-18, 00:20   Link #5
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Thanks Ledgem, it worked perfectly

I used the export in the outlook express, and sent the files over the LAN to the VISTA computer, and used the import in Windows Mail.

Although I made backup first of the folders with all the DBX files just in case... Whcih thankfully wasn't needed.

I wonder why they rename something to confuse us yet have it to be pretty much the same thing?
Old 2008-02-18, 12:32   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Maybe they think the average Windows user can't figure out what an application is for unless it has a name like "Mail?" Or, maybe they're just copying Apple.

Me, I like software with names like "Thunderbird" even if it doesn't tell you jack-s*** about what the program does. I thought perhaps the Mozilla Foundation was going to work its way through all the basic Final Fantasy elemental spells ("Thunderbird," "Firefox," etc.) but the next item, their calendaring program, is called "Sunbird." I guess names like "Icebird" or "Earthbird" don't have the same appeal.

Just think, you could upgrade Firefox to Firafox then to Firagafox. Sure beats updating from 2.0.0.9 to 2.0.0.10.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 13:27   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I figured they were changing the name as a marketing ploy to get new users to try it. By now, Outlook is pretty infamous for its security holes. Newer users might look at it and think it's something totally different just since it has a new name.

I'm not a huge fan of having programs named totally random things (this made my initial bouts with Linux a bit of a shock), but I must admit that I like Mozilla's naming scheme. Elements and animals - too cool.