AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 17
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 17 14.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 34 29.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 37 32.46%
7 out of 10 : Good... 17 14.91%
6 out of 10 : Average... 5 4.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.88%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-29, 01:43   Link #181
Aqua Knight

Meh, it would be cooler if Leafa was some other girl rather than being Suguha.
Old 2012-10-29, 01:46   Link #182
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Whilst Kirito was playing the hero I kept expecting Yui to pop out and smack him with a massive harisen and saying "keep a low profile papa!!!"
Old 2012-10-29, 01:51   Link #183
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinku View Post
So Kirito has to like unite the kingdoms or something to save his Girl, this will be interesting. I wonder what the other fairy race will think about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Don't forget, he has all of a week!~ The crazy shit he'll have to do to pull that off should make for interesting viewing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
If their leaders are females.... Kirito would't have any problem.....
it would definitely be awesome if all this happened, lol especially with the female leaders
Old 2012-10-29, 02:18   Link #184
AP24

Regarding the official spelling of "Lyfa" or "Leafa". I think Leafa makes more sense because Suguha's name has the kanji for leaf.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 02:59   Link #185
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Meh, it would be cooler if Leafa was some other girl rather than being Suguha.
How so? More girls to add to the harem?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 03:18   Link #186
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Would be awesome if Leafa was in fact Sugou...just as planned
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 03:53   Link #187
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
I kinda was hoping for Sugou to actually pull the ribbon completely...but no, SAO is an all ages anime after all.
Don't worry, some doujinshi will "explore it further" with the super-stacked Leafa as an added bonus .
Old 2012-10-29, 09:02   Link #188
Vmem

I feel like everyone's neglecting the fact that Kirito rescuing Asuna from the bird cage in ALO will be nothing more than a symbolic act. the true rescue will have to come from the real world where Sugou is either killed, arrested, or somehow rendered in a state where he can no longer do harm to our favorite lovers.

As for the deadline, I hate to say it, but it's not one week. a forced marriage in the physical world would be horrible, but the only thing that absolutely has to be stopped would be Sugou's mind-manipulating research. I hope the director/writers don't decide to make Kirito and us viewers suffer through Asuna's wedding
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 11:58   Link #189
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Whilst Kirito was playing the hero I kept expecting Yui to pop out and smack him with a massive harisen and saying "keep a low profile papa!!!"
She's the one making him high profile in the first place. Popping out and calling him Daddy and all that. Frankly, that's way more suspicious than his skill.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 13:20   Link #190
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Kirito's klutzy flying was my favorite part of the episode. Esp. how he crashed into the wall.

But SUGOU IS REALLY ANNOYING.
I hate that lisp in his voice. When he starts to open his mouth, I feel the urge to punch him.
Old 2012-10-29, 13:50   Link #191
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
How can Sugu not know that's her brother?

Why does every girl Kirito meets turn red at some point?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 13:57   Link #192
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This arc continues to be more intriguing than the Aincrad one was by leaps and bounds. I just want to go over some specifics right now as to what specifically I think is being handled a lot better by me in terms of how things are unfolding:

- First off is the lead pair dynamic. Whereas in Aincrad it always felt like Asuna would be nothing without Kirito's influence, here Suguha/Lyffa feels more like her own character whose already staked a name for herself long before Kirito came on the scene. In this case SHE is the one with the greater experience in the game and is the one teaching Kirito about how things work even though he is the one with the buffed stats thanks to a fortunate series of events. Also she just seems to be a lot gutsier and capable in her own right aside from the brother complex which is the only downside to her character so far as I see it. All of this doesn't undermine Kirito though as it doesn't feel like he's been nerfed so much as paired up with someone that is a little bit more in his league and arguably even a little more capable IRL. Also she bought Kirito a drink which is more bromantic than romantic I have to say.

- Second is the setting itself. Compared to the simplicity of Aincrad which basically amounted to work together and clear floors, the setup here feels a little bit more like Accel World. There's one big world with multiple competing factions seeking to gain the World Tree that do not necessarily get along and some of which may actually be at war withb one another as hinted by how people reacted to Kirito being in the Sylph territory and how Lyffa had to constantly be reassuring people that despite being a Spriggan they need not worry about Kirito. Somehow I still expect the factions to have to come together in the end in order to win the game, but right now I find this set up a lot more interesting than Aincrad's free for all system of partying and cooperation.

- Thirdly There's spellcasting now as shown by Lyffa casting the healing spell on Kirito. This opens up many more possibilities over Aincrad where it was simply people matching up physical stats against defense stats (though in all honesty that never really came into place much as everything just seemed to be a one hit kill regardless in the anime at least)

Though one question remains, if Kirito has the jacked up stats from coming from SAO, does that mean Asuna might actually have them too and just plain doesn't know about it? If she does and Sugou succeeds in somehow brainwashing her with his technology and turning her loose to do his bidding or whatever as one of his lackies than a lot of people could be in some serious trouble since there's not much that would be able to stand up against her 2+ years worth of jacked limit breaking stats versus the most experienced people in this game only having 1.

Also of consideration this episode is the fact that it makes a point of the fact that I had honestly never considered before that Yui can't leave the game meaning the only way to seek her help, assistance or company is for Kirito to enter the game world. I'd almost certainly have to assume this would pose at least some problems down the line. Anyway it was pretty amusing to see how she can keep changing sizes at will. I'm not usually a fan of super moe moe characters like Yui, but something about having an actual fairy sized character just fluttering around and randomly changing size is I dunno...kind of charming in an old school fantasy way. I never thought I'd say this, but as she's being used in this arc so far compared to Aincrad I'm glad to have her back.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 14:04   Link #193
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
How can Sugu not know that's her brother?

Why does every girl Kirito meets turn red at some point?
SAO's system, which ALO is based off of, only reveals names to others when partied up. Kirito is also a combination of his real name and he may not have revealed it to his family upon his return to the real world, which is understandable given the trauma the game caused. His appearance was also randomized by the game, and the familiarity in his features to the viewers is probably for our benefit rather than a plot point. The ears and hair style, plus any miscellaneous facial details that don't really translate that well into an anime format, may make him somewhat unrecognizable to Suguha.

That said, Suguha seems to have seen some familiarity to her brother thanks to his sad look in-game.

As for the turning red thing... maybe he has the Tohno Gland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Though one question remains, if Kirito has the jacked up stats from coming from SAO, does that mean Asuna might actually have them too and just plain doesn't know about it? If she does and Sugou succeeds in somehow brainwashing her with his technology and turning her loose to do his bidding or whatever as one of his lackies than a lot of people could be in some serious trouble since there's not much that would be able to stand up against her 2+ years worth of jacked limit breaking stats versus the most experienced people in this game only having 1.
I think it's less her not knowing and more her having limited access. We saw with Kayaba that the admin can directly manipulate other players' status and skills, and likely their stats as well. So it's entirely possible that Sugou, being the admin, has her stats and abilities disabled so she can't escape.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2012-10-29 at 14:16.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 14:08   Link #194
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Not very happy that Asuna has been reduced to a damsel in distress role...
Old 2012-10-29, 14:22   Link #195
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Not very happy that Asuna has been reduced to a damsel in distress role...
I doubt anybody is to be honest, I just hope she makes up for it sooner rather than later.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 15:41   Link #196
Trajan
Six Shooter

Why isn't this arc over already? If 5 people got close enough, all you need is 7 and you're there!

PS - Does Yui have an altitude/time limit on her flight?
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 15:45   Link #197
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
PS - Does Yui have an altitude/time limit on her flight?
We saw her get tired from the flight Kirito had, so I'd say she does have some sort of limit to her stamina.
Old 2012-10-29, 16:10   Link #198
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Why isn't this arc over already? If 5 people got close enough, all you need is 7 and you're there!
Spoiler for Information revealed in the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-29 at 17:52.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 16:14   Link #199
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
That's... a very good point actually IMHO but we wouldn't have much of a novel/anime if they thought of that ^_^;;; So let's just roll with the idea that Kirito has to figure out another way... at least this way we get to see him hang out with his sis/Lyfa.

And getting there is half the story, Kirito doesn't have any way to open that cage (the code was blurred for Asuna). Plus, if Sugou happens to be around he won't let him just get away with it - he's got GM powers after all.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 16:50   Link #200
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Plenty of people have hit the cap in combat skills, and the stats, if they exist, do little enough. Not to mention, she lacks experience with the flight and magic system.

More importantly, who cares about stats? Sugou's the admin. Anyone's stats can be whatever he wants them to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Spoiler for Information revealed in the novels:
That.

Besides, they were far from succeeding (Asuna's picture was magnified), and you'd quickly hit a point of diminishing returns where you'd need to double the number of players to get just one more stage. And then you'd lose height because of coordination issues.

Quote:
I doubt anybody is to be honest, I just hope she makes up for it sooner rather than later.
I don't really care. Her circumstances changed, but not her basic character, and that can happen to anyone. At least, I won't froth at the mouth about it like some people have.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-29 at 17:52.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote