AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 02 Rating
Perfect 10 18 16.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 24.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 14.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.93%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-21, 22:23   Link #41
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Does Lucky Channel appear in the manga? (btw, gogo Akira-sama, mistress of the brute honestity! )
Nope, it's been said a few times, it's a promotional radio show that started airing before the series. Though in the radio show Akira didn't show any signs of bipolarity.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-21, 22:49   Link #42
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Nope, it's been said a few times, it's a promotional radio show that started airing before the series. Though in the radio show Akira didn't show any signs of bipolarity.
She has made cameo appearances in vol. 2 manga. I donna if she did same or not in vol 3&4 since I haven't had chance to get them.
Old 2007-04-22, 10:41   Link #43
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

I really enjoyed the references to other series in this episode.I guess that's becoming more common these days.

Heh,I'd love to try that drum game with the Suzumiya Haruhi ending song.
Old 2007-04-22, 11:55   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... Kona is a geekgrrl... she lives in "our time"... she goes to the arcade... where they have drum arcade units that play well known anime and pop songs. I won't say it *isn't* product placement but it also is not intrusively inserted.
Old 2007-04-22, 13:14   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
I really enjoyed the references to other series in this episode.I guess that's becoming more common these days.

Heh,I'd love to try that drum game with the Suzumiya Haruhi ending song.
It's called Taiko no Tatsujin: Doka! to Oomori Nanadaime. The song is actually kind of on the easy side for that game. You should be able to nail it with a little practice.
Old 2007-04-22, 13:51   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the Rayman series "Raving Rabbids" for the Wii ... one of the hundreds of minigames in it includes an identical drumming game.
You take the Wii and its associated "nunchuk" attachment and use each like a drumstick. You then have to match the beat and the rabbids as they run towards the "strike plate" in tune to such things as "La Bamba" or that surfer tune from Pulp Fiction or other various genre tunes.
Being able to beat a real drum would be fun though.
Old 2007-04-22, 23:43   Link #47
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Oh... I'd like to throw kudos at a.f.k.'s translation this episode .... it was *really* good (imo, of course) ... and the technicalities handling the splitscreen and dialog running over each other handled quite nicely. The only off bit seemed to me was calling the face-making contest a "staring contest"... I also liked the way they ran Kona's "customer service" noises together....
The way I read that scene was that it was supposed to be a staring contest. But Konata's "staring" face is so bizarre that the other girls can't help but crack up. Besides, isn't that how most staring contests are actually decided? One person making a face so outrageous that the other has to look away? That's always how I won...
Old 2007-04-23, 09:47   Link #48
Level E
みwiki

afk's subs sounds fine.

睨む = to stare.

From my TL notes of this EP:

にらめっこ / Niramekko

Niramekko is a children's game. It's a staring contest but one is suppose to make the others laugh by making faces. Before the contest begins, this song below is usually sung (but it is common that the first line is cut). This is why, Konata said "ah, pu, pu" before making her face.

だるまさん、だるまさん、にらめっこしましょ
笑うと負けよ、あっぷっぷ

TL:
Daruma-san, Daruma-san, Let's have a staring contest.
If you laugh, you will lose, ah, pu, pu.
Old 2007-04-23, 12:38   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... the word translates literally as "stare" ... but if one is going for cultural localization as a.f.k. has, I'd wager more viewers would understand "face-making" game (where the first one to laugh loses) than "staring" game (where the first one to *blink* loses).

I'd have probably taken the opportunity and just written "niramekko" with a footnote describing the game for a bit of cultural education, but ymmv.
Old 2007-04-23, 14:44   Link #50
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Vexx, doesn't cracking even the teensiest of smiles, much less laughter, considered disqualification in staring matches? Well at least it is in my part of the world, and if the National Association of Staredown Proffesionals says it is, I would think that more people than not would consider it as well. XD

And the beauty of the scene? We don't see Konata's face, as such it is left to the watcher's imagination what it looked like, whether it's a full blown face (aka. face-making contest) or just with her eyes (aka. a regular staring contest). And to those who aren't familiar with niramekko (which I assume is most people who watch the subs), they would just assume that it really is a 'regular' staring contest because well, the twins never attempted to make any faces.

As such, I really think staring contest is more approriate than face-making, since afk is just making their subs as easy to understand to as much people as possible. Because, you know, there's people like me who never ever heard of face-making contests before. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-04-23, 15:17   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I concede it must be very much a regional thing so I'll drop it.

But my anecdotal experience (personal and watching kids) was that - the only "lose" was if you blinked. It was more about dry eyes than anything else.
As usual, YMMV.

And I completely agree, the beauty of the scene is that Konata's face is left to the imagination - not to mention the VA Hirano's rendition of those syllables as she's making her face were just damned funny.
Old 2007-04-23, 15:25   Link #52
tritoch

Oh don't get me started on how Hirano nails the word play.
Old 2007-04-23, 17:10   Link #53
Mr JeburtO

loved the discussion about drama cds and animes having different voice actors as thats the case with Lucky Star
Old 2007-04-24, 05:43   Link #54
mouhitori

About the staring contest .... it's probably extremely difficult to laugh hard AND still open your eyes at the same time for an extended period.
If someone can achieve that, he/she would look very scary I think, and deserve to win an award!

Also didn't know that the apupu sound that Konata made was part of the game, so thanks for the info. I thought it was part of her winning strategy
Old 2007-04-24, 10:28   Link #55
aorta

Is the music played during the UFO catcher scene from Super Mario? I read that on another site.
Old 2007-04-24, 20:47   Link #56
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Definitely not, +/- 0.00000001% since I don't actually have the entire soundtrack of SMB on my hard drive, and can't do a direct comparison. But it doesn't sound like anything I remember from Nintendo.

I know it's not the main theme, which is permanently embedded in my synapses. Frightening thought, that.

edit: Yes. It is. It's a wiki for Bob's sake. Any moron could've written that.
http://www.geocities.com/chp295/coolwavs.html <- MIDI, because I'm not going to waste my bandwidth on such a silly thing.

Last edited by Telliamed; 2007-04-24 at 22:07.
Old 2007-04-24, 21:17   Link #57
aorta

Hmm I guess the site was wrong.

http://www.raki-suta.com/wiki/index.php?title=Trivia
Old 2007-04-25, 10:29   Link #58
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

When I did Episode 1, I said I'll drop this because it just wasn't for me. But having kept tabs on the activity of the Lucky Star thread, I figured I was missing something, so here I am, having just gone through Episode 2.

So, Episode 1 gets a 6, but Episode 2 gets an 8. Simply put, the jokes were tighter and better-spun this time round. I actually found myself smiling widely for the most part; something I didn't expect. Well, looks like even KyoAni's trademark "slow start" got even me. >_<
Old 2007-04-26, 16:24   Link #59
katsumi
ghostly member

Episode 1 (and various discussions on the net) left me a bit undecided about what to make out of Lucky Star, but Lucky Channel and the Karaoke ending let me watch episode 2.
And here I am converted . I still love Akira and Lucky Channel the most, but Konata runs up to second place now, she had some hilarious scenes .

*off to watch episode 3*
Old 2007-04-26, 17:25   Link #60
Meophist

I was just thinking, aren't UFO Catchers called "Crane Game" in English?
Closed Thread