AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-31, 13:23   Link #2341
Kiniest

Kotoura-san is the closest example I can think of.
Old 2013-03-31, 19:12   Link #2342
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
Hetalia. It's too easy to see why.
Let me guess, is it the fandom?

This one is personal but Hetalia had one of the worst fandom of all time. They flooded deviantArt, livejournal and tumblr with their badly-drawn Hetalia fanarts. They are even worse than most devoted Narutard. While I have no intention to be sexist but it is pretty obvious that most of its fans are 13-15 years old girls who just wanted to see their favorite bishies than anything else, not history or jokes. Thanks to them what supposed to be an interesting satirical approach to WW2 now degenerates into K-On! with men and many times less music.

Another anime that I don't like but extremely popular at least to English-speaking anime fans is Mirai Nikki. While I'm not calling it as "piece of shit" or anything like that but I have no idea what the main appeal of that show except its controversies. I don't to argue on who's the target audiences of this show are but from what I can see most of them are horror and yandere fans. How it is rated high on most anime review sites is beyond me.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:02   Link #2343
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Another anime that I don't like but extremely popular at least to English-speaking anime fans is Mirai Nikki. While I'm not calling it as "piece of shit" or anything like that but I have no idea what the main appeal of that show except its controversies. I don't to argue on who's the target audiences of this show are but from what I can see most of them are horror and yandere fans. How it is rated high on most anime review sites is beyond me.
I am not sure, but it could be the manga... At least for me the manga was somehow "better" than the anime. It is possible that the reviews were made with the manga in mind, which led to a biased review. Also the anime handled the ending a bit... weird... it could be that many hoped it would be cut short for certain reasons (that i don't want to tell because of spoilers), but then AFTER THE CREDITS they merely alluded to the manga ending via a cliffhanger, destroying the closure that would be there if they either cut it short like many hoped, or even if they would just go with the complete manga ending. But noooo, they had to create this stupid "middle ground" between the possible endings and made it even worse by that.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:24   Link #2344
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

What I'm finding lately is that I don't really hate the anime. It's usually the fans I hate. People who call themselves your friends (I sure as heck don't recall befriending smelly blokes in singlets with One Piece tattoos) just because I watch anime. A large number of fans think that if you watch -an- anime, you're an Anime Otaku, thus you HAVE to be a raving at the mouth fan of whatever they watch. Ur Examples being Naruto, Bleach, etc--I don't like the anime but I don't hate it per se.

But the fans that go: "How can you call yourself an Otaku when you don't watch Bleach/DBZ/Naruto/One Piece..." Those are the ones that drive me berserk.

- First: I don't like being called an Otaku. I just like Anime.
- Second: I don't have to like something just because it's popular.
- Third: When I like something that's NOT mainstream, that does not make me a twit.
- Fourth: Going to threads about anime you don't like or even know, then posting about "Oh, so-and-so character should be run over by a bus because they're not as cool as my favorite character from..." (no, seriously. Those posts should be deleted more often.)
Old 2013-03-31, 23:48   Link #2345
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sometimes I suppose it is fun to be just slightly older than the average anime fan. (Or prehaps we didn't have Cartoon Network in the mid-late 90s or whenever that was, I don't remember). I didn't/don't watch Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. And the only version of DBZ I've really watched is the TFS Abridged version.

I don't watch a lot of new shows every season. Just one or two usually, with sometimes three or four, or getting into an older show for whatever reason.

My start was Space Battleship Yamato and that remains the main focus, even though it has been decades since I started with it. I've picked up other spaceship based space operas, and some moe comedies, but that is generally about it.
Old 2013-04-01, 03:26   Link #2346
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

That's actually another thing I hate about the fandom. They keep asking what they should watch. Which is not a problem in itself--but it feels like they just want to watch whats "in" this season.

Example: "Psycho-Pass" ---which is actually a good show, it just doesn't appeal to me. If you only heard the kind of abuse I get from "Hardcore Otaku" that I'm a bastard for not being a fan of the show.
Old 2013-04-01, 04:14   Link #2347
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
That's actually another thing I hate about the fandom. They keep asking what they should watch. Which is not a problem in itself--but it feels like they just want to watch whats "in" this season.

Example: "Psycho-Pass" ---which is actually a good show, it just doesn't appeal to me. If you only heard the kind of abuse I get from "Hardcore Otaku" that I'm a bastard for not being a fan of the show.
You really should hang out more with more casual (or better yet, more reasonable) anime fans. Believe me, I’ve been in similar situation as you before and there’s rarely any positive thing to gain from talking with those “anime elitists” aside from knowing what anime is popular and some more additional info.

On topic: Shakugan no Shana might count as anime I dislike but loved by legions.
Old 2013-04-01, 04:25   Link #2348
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I don't hang out. I basically drop by anime or card game shops because I have friends who work there. Typical stuff they get are customers complaining about why Gundam models aren't already painted and assembled, or why they can't rip BDs/DVDs from their shop and give them away for free.

You won't believe how many twits you'll meet IRL. I call them twits rather than elitists, because they're not watching anime out of enjoyment--they're watching anime because it puts them in with the 'in' crowd. You know the type: The guy who has all of this Rei and Asuka merchandise from Evangelion but has never watched an episode/movie (or even knows what it's about). And I think we've all heard the story of the idiot who bought BIBLE BLACK home to watch with his girlfriend on a friend's recommendation.

People are free to have their own opinions--I will very often butt heads and disagree violently with them. But I'd rather have that than someone who's basically only watching anime because someone else tells them to.
Old 2013-04-01, 05:59   Link #2349
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
On topic: Shakugan no Shana might count as anime I dislike but loved by legions.
My I want to know why... Personally.. only the first two seasons are really good and the last episode of season 3
Old 2013-04-01, 06:25   Link #2350
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
My I want to know why... Personally.. only the first two seasons are really good and the last episode of season 3
Maybe because I’m watching it rather late, so I don’t get what’s all the fuss is about and why it deserve that much fandom. I found the story so-so. Shana is a bit annoying to me and Yuuji is your usual bland male protagonist compared to anime with similar theme and gimmick which is: boy meets otherworldly girl and get involved in otherworldly conflict. That kinda theme is also shared by Bleach and Busou Renkin but the male protagonists in those shows are a lot more interesting than Yuuji.

Note: I haven't seen the 3rd season coz, frankly, I can't take it anymore after watching the first two. Ironically, I usually recommend Shana to those newbie members who are looking for fantasy-action-romance anime XP.
Old 2013-04-01, 19:41   Link #2351
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Let me guess, is it the fandom?
Yes, though the show itself is mediocre at best. Besides its casts are 90% are males I don't see how it is "better" than any other moe slice-of-life shows like K-On!. At least K-On! have good though limited soundtrack.

Back to the topic Ouran High School Host Club failed to impress me despite its huge fanbase and high ratings in almost every anime review sites like MyAnimeList, Anime News Network, Anime-Planet and Anime-Source for examples. I can understand how teenage girls and young women love it but at least from my observation men also suspects as well. I should say this but I have no idea why it is so popular to male viewers except perhaps the love Haruhi, the "female" lead. I find Haruhi is the reason why I stopped watching that show. If it just Tamaki and his gang alone I would able to stomach it but Haruhi as heroine is a big no-no. I don't hate reverse harem genre but I think Tohru from Fruit Basket is a better reverse harem heroine than Haruhi as she had better personality. Ironically Ouran is actually not that popular to male Japanese viewers than non-Japanese ones, especially English-speaking ones. Some of my Japanese friend knows the show's existence but never actually saw it just because it never actually made for them anyway.
Old 2013-04-01, 20:04   Link #2352
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Maybe because I’m watching it rather late, so I don’t get what’s all the fuss is about and why it deserve that much fandom. I found the story so-so. Shana is a bit annoying to me and Yuuji is your usual bland male protagonist compared to anime with similar theme and gimmick which is: boy meets otherworldly girl and get involved in otherworldly conflict. That kinda theme is also shared by Bleach and Busou Renkin but the male protagonists in those shows are a lot more interesting than Yuuji.

Note: I haven't seen the 3rd season coz, frankly, I can't take it anymore after watching the first two. Ironically, I usually recommend Shana to those newbie members who are looking for fantasy-action-romance anime XP.
Yuuji's real character is shown in the 3rd season and make it very interesting, imo. And the 3rd seasons' story goes plenty beyond the 1st 2 making it the best season of it.
MAL
Old 2013-04-01, 20:11   Link #2353
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Maybe because I’m watching it rather late, so I don’t get what’s all the fuss is about and why it deserve that much fandom. I found the story so-so.
We also have to consider the timing. This is one of the most popular roles KugiRie had throughout her career, and the light novels is one of the first light novel adaptations of its kind, giving way to the trend of light novel adaptations in Japanese anime.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-04-01, 20:16   Link #2354
backbone
Banned

Regarding shakugan no shana, season 1 + 2 are pretty much dedicated for character developments while in season 3 it goes full war between two factions (flame haze vs tomogara). As a LN reader myself, i tend to think that season 3 is definitely the worst when it comes to execution (They butchered about 40% of the source material), which make the whole story fell flat compared to it's predecessors.
Yuji's character, to be honest, is more centered around his conflicting emotion and love triangle between him, shana, and Kazumi (which later became the shows' main appeal) rather than your usual powerhouse male characters. It's true that he evolved into more "Alpha" type in third season, but his idealism, his struggle, and his genuine love towards shana remain as his main appeal until the end of the story
Old 2013-04-01, 23:39   Link #2355
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
We also have to consider the timing. This is one of the most popular roles KugiRie had throughout her career, and the light novels is one of the first light novel adaptations of its kind, giving way to the trend of light novel adaptations in Japanese anime.
But a truly good show will stand the test of time, for example: Ghibli’s early movies, Grave of the Fireflies, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and many more great anime out there. If Shana only get that much hyped because it’s the first LN adaptation and it’s KugiRie’s first prominent role then sorry to say, but it seems like Shana really doesn’t offer much to me coz, even if I watched it during the time of its release, I would say the story is nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Yuuji's real character is shown in the 3rd season and make it very interesting, imo. And the 3rd seasons' story goes plenty beyond the 1st 2 making it the best season of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Regarding shakugan no shana, season 1 + 2 are pretty much dedicated for character developments while in season 3 it goes full war between two factions (flame haze vs tomogara). As a LN reader myself, i tend to think that season 3 is definitely the worst when it comes to execution (They butchered about 40% of the source material), which make the whole story fell flat compared to it's predecessors.
Yuji's character, to be honest, is more centered around his conflicting emotion and love triangle between him, shana, and Kazumi (which later became the shows' main appeal) rather than your usual powerhouse male characters. It's true that he evolved into more "Alpha" type in third season, but his idealism, his struggle, and his genuine love towards shana remain as his main appeal until the end of the story
Thanx for your input. Maybe I'll try to watch the 3rd season to put and end to my journey of watching Shana .
Old 2013-04-02, 00:08   Link #2356
NoemiChan
Banned

Naruto > it's not ninja like anymore...
Old 2013-04-02, 00:57   Link #2357
Eragon
Still Alive

Shakugan no Shana II - I watched this on T.V.(the only reason why I watched it) when I was relatively new to anime. The first episode was interesting. Shana's character looked intriguing enough. Didn't have any hope for Yuji - I knew I was going to be infuriated by him. But as the season progressed, the story just moved from fighting whatever evil there was to getting boyfriends, ugh... And the fact that Shana, by law of stupidity fell in "love" with Yuji - who, as I guessed, turned out to be the most lame-ass protagonist I have seen - just killed the show for me. The one character I was interested in was reduced to "Yuji is mine" fangirl by the end of the show*RAGGGGEEEEE*. The other girl in the apparent love tirangle was pretty pathetic too - I just hate those type of useless characters.

And was there a plot? Oh there was, but it got swept under the rug(at least in my eyes) in favor of Yuji-gasm. It just infuriates me to no end when the potential of a show is wasted like this - like HSoTD.
Old 2013-04-02, 07:47   Link #2358
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
But a truly good show will stand the test of time, for example: Ghibli’s early movies, Grave of the Fireflies, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and many more great anime out there. If Shana only get that much hyped because it’s the first LN adaptation and it’s KugiRie’s first prominent role then sorry to say, but it seems like Shana really doesn’t offer much to me coz, even if I watched it during the time of its release, I would say the story is nothing special.
Did you just try to compare Shakugan no Shana with Ghibli's works and Evangelion?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-04-02, 08:03   Link #2359
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Did you just try to compare Shakugan no Shana with Ghibli's works and Evangelion?
Not really. I just mentioned them as examples of good and timeless anime. As for Shana, the reasons you gave me of why it deserve that much fandom doesn't look like much if we talk about the anime itself. Just like those people who like Dragon Ball Z. The anime itself is not that special.
Old 2013-04-02, 08:25   Link #2360
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Not really. I just mentioned them as examples of good and timeless anime. As for Shana, the reasons you gave me of why it deserve that much fandom doesn't look like much if we talk about the anime itself. Just like those people who like Dragon Ball Z. The anime itself is not that special.
Shana may also became popular since her character being a tsundere was craze back then....
Closed Thread