AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

Old 2011-05-25, 18:23   Link #1201
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
What did you write the messages with though? That pager has only two buttons .. And what did the numbers exactly have to do with the messages .. I still don't get why they had to send it in numbers and how did it turn into text.
Old 2011-05-25, 18:32   Link #1202
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What did you write the messages with though? That pager has only two buttons .. And what did the numbers exactly have to do with the messages .. I still don't get why they had to send it in numbers and how did it turn into text.
Various ways, depending on the vintage and the cost. You could call in a message to an operator, who would send it alphanumerically. Some of the fancy ones had a little keypad built in. Some also had email addresses to receive emails as text pages.

Bear in mind, these are still used in selective cases. They're often used in places without cell coverage, or where privacy issues are paramount.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 20:28   Link #1203
larethian

I don't remember any of the models I used capable of using alphabet letters, only numerical digits, though that was before 1998 (before I have my first Nokia phone). When you call a pager number, after being prompted, you then punch in the numbers you want the recipient to see displayed on his pager. Usually, it's the phone number you want the person being paged to call.
And you can actually leave a voice message if the telecoms service provider provides such a service. The message is not however played on the pager itself, but stored in a voice mail service. The voice mail service number is then sent to the pager. The paged person then calls the number, enters the pin, and listens to the recording.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 22:50   Link #1204
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So does anyone else think that the Steins;Gate theme kind of sounds like a Super Robot Wars Original BGM with vocals?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 02:13   Link #1205
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Ah, I was actually wondering how a pager worked too.
I wasn't horribly interested, though.

Anyways, you're right, I was a little unspecific with VN, but it was an indirect jab along with the hidden 冗談です〜よ between the lines.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 05:18   Link #1206
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
^But if Kyouma is the messiah, then shouldn't it have worked as expected? Wasn't it Kyouma himself who sent the mail about the lotto 6, not anyone else.
I think he'll show off his true "powers" when he himself go back in time. As I and others have speculated earlier, Okarin's power is most likely not the power to retain his memory, but the power to remain completely unaffected by the changes taking place in the world line. That would make him immune to the grandfather paradox, and mean he can change the past as much as he wishes. Basically, no matter what he does, he'll always remain the same and his existence will never be erased.

Of course, it's just a wild speculation for now. We don't know enough about the time traveling mechanics in Steins Gate yet.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:01   Link #1207
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Ah, I was actually wondering how a pager worked too.
I wasn't horribly interested, though.

Anyways, you're right, I was a little unspecific with VN, but it was an indirect jab along with the hidden 冗談です〜よ between the lines.
Oh those were the days ! !

I remember creating those number to words conversion lists when they first introduced the pager into the general public.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 07:02   Link #1208
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
But he told Ruka to buy the ticket. He didn't buy it himself.
Does that really matter? This is getting quite complicated for me, lol. I mean, on the very first episode it was Kyouma who sent '' Makise Kurisu got stabbed '' message to Daru, which then went back in time. How did sending such message to Daru prevent from Kurisu getting stabbed at all?

What exactly is considered as so drastic change that it can't be done anyway..? Surely changing from someone being dead to alive person is more '' drastic '' than changing genders.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:07   Link #1209
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
What exactly is considered as so drastic change that it can't be done anyway..? Surely changing from someone being dead to alive person is more '' drastic '' than changing genders.
Depends on how long Ruka was crossdressing. If he was crossdressing since a young kid, then people perceived and treated him as a female. So the gender change shouldn't matter.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:36   Link #1210
KeithKurogane
Recorder of World Lines

I think...
Spoiler for Those numbers...:
Old 2011-05-26, 09:26   Link #1211
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Awww, they didn't animate Chris whipping out the mirror to compare herself with Rukako's looks. Would have been a cute scene!

And I would have preferred if they kept it so that Chris was the one suggesting eating vegetables will give birth to a girl. Then again, it makes her more of a scientist changing that part in the show.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 10:38   Link #1212
whatbob1
huh

Quote:
Does that really matter? This is getting quite complicated for me, lol. I mean, on the very first episode it was Kyouma who sent '' Makise Kurisu got stabbed '' message to Daru, which then went back in time. How did sending such message to Daru prevent from Kurisu getting stabbed at all?
Sending that message also somehow made the satellite crash into the building and John Titor not going to the year 2000 haha.

Which suggests Kurisu's death is somehow connected to John Titor traveling to the year 2000 and since in the current worldline she isn't dead, John Titor never traveled back to the year 2000 or something??
whatbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 14:03   Link #1213
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Btw about the numbers that got sent to the pagers, I think I vaguely recall that those numbers would translate to letters in the receiving pager though I'm not quite sure. Also, I think I recall the pager functions like: first enter the consonant, then the vocal to make a syllable, though again, I'm not quite sure. But the bottom line is the content of the message is an advice to eat lots of vegetables
Old 2011-05-26, 15:46   Link #1214
dark998

Beeper...minor nostalgia bomb right there. Anyway, loving how they keep experimenting with the D-mails so far. Rintarou doesn't lose time and already gave his ability a fancy name

But Im guessing one of those mails will change the past in a dramatic and non-optimal way, maybe causing the death of one of the lab members.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 16:16   Link #1215
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
But Im guessing one of those mails will change the past in a dramatic and non-optimal way, maybe causing the death of one of the lab members.
I'm worried that a death will occur. In fact, I was certain at first that that's what had happened when the timeline changed and Okarin appeared to be alone in the lab.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 16:18   Link #1216
GDB

Though, as long as the phone microwave time machine stays intact and usable, couldn't they in theory just undo any change caused by a D.Mail sent to themselves? Just send a message that shows up slightly before it that says to immediately delete it without reading it or whatever. It still might cause a divergence compared to the "prime" reality, but it'd be better than causing a death.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 16:25   Link #1217
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I'm worried that a death will occur. In fact, I was certain at first that that's what had happened when the timeline changed and Okarin appeared to be alone in the lab.
About that, let me dig up something... in the first episode, while Okarin was debating the value of a metal oppa with Mayushi, and Kurisu's murder took place, the scream heard was Okarin's, not Kurisu's... or am I the only one hearing his VA there
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 17:10   Link #1218
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
About that, let me dig up something... in the first episode, while Okarin was debating the value of a metal oppa with Mayushi, and Kurisu's murder took place, the scream heard was Okarin's, not Kurisu's... or am I the only one hearing his VA there
Wouldn't that put Okarin in 2 places at once on the same timeline though? I don't think that's possible according to the time travel rules we've been given so far.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 18:32   Link #1219
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Wouldn't that put Okarin in 2 places at once on the same timeline though? I don't think that's possible according to the time travel rules we've been given so far.
I know, but the voice is so similar to Okarin's... maybe a subtle hint
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 20:28   Link #1220
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
That moment scared me, to be honest. I thought somehow they'd managed to change the world line in such a way that Okarin was completely alone, and all of the other lab members had never met him for some reason or another.

Tags
drama, science fiction, seinen, time travel, trap, visual novel adaptation