AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-06-08, 11:21   Link #1
Rin-Sama
Banned

Lightning Struck my house!!!!

Some of you maybe wondering where i have been the past few days. Well on Friday of last week my area had a bad thrunderstom. And during the thunderstom lightning struck my house.

Now given that my house is a little older than others it didn't have a grounding wire, therefore it had no other choice than to fry several appliances. One of which was my computer's modem so i have been without internet access since Friday. I should be getting a nerw modem soon.

Things Fried:

My T.V.
My DVD Player
My computer's Modem
2 wall outlets (One exploded!)
3 phones
1 phone jack (also exploded!)
1 phone box (exploded also!)
1 Microwave
1 Antenna Roter (Antenna turner)
3 miles worth of phone line down the street

Damaged:

Bro's T.V.
2 Rooftop Antennas
2 phone jacks
1 surge protector

So all in all I have lost all home access to the internet and will be for a while before i can get a new modem. (how my computer itself wasn't fried i will never know!) So now my family will be getting alot of Surge protectors!
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 11:30   Link #2
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Thats to bad....

but I unplug every inportant electrical thing when it stats to thunder... its smart every one should do it.
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 11:37   Link #3
lavielove

Sorry to hear that , Diaboso what you suggest is a good thing but most of the people used to relax in thier home or staying in office when it's raining, It's really impossible. Rin-Sama ,seriously, my family have a belief that a pumpkin can protect the thunder,I think you should try it.Just keep a pumpkin in the coner of your room.

Is that a joke ?? #7

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-06-08 at 13:18.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 11:41   Link #4
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
Sorry to hear that , Diaboso what you suggest is a good thing but most of the people used to relax in thier home or staying in office when it's raining, It's really impossible. Rin-Sama ,seriously, my family have a believe that a pumpkin can protect the thunder,I think you should try it.
?!?yah so relax by reading a book or somthing. and only unplug during a thunder storm not just a heavy rain. and what the heak can a "pumpkin" do? absorb the electric shock?
Old 2006-06-08, 12:11   Link #5
Green²
It's bacon!

DVD player, televisions, and microwave, depending on the extent of the damage, could probably be recovered if the lightning didn't jump the fusing link. ... Usually looks like an small glass cylinder connected to the hot wire within the appliance. Generally black if blown. Probably best to get someone to do this replacement for you. Else, http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm

And, get a external Ground done! 10' depth if you can go for it.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 12:53   Link #6
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso
Thats to bad....

but I unplug every inportant electrical thing when it stats to thunder... its smart every one should do it.
agreed. especially if you have those expensive appliances.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 12:59   Link #7
l33t_n00b

Once a tidal wave was comming over to my house but the Pumpkin I always have laying around in the corner of my room absorbed the water.
I'm telling you use a pumpkin they are life savers against every natural disaster like earthquakes, tsunami's, thunder etc.

l33t_n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 13:11   Link #8
Rin-Sama
Banned

the T.V. and DVD player a too far gone to be repaired. We're talking about most of the computer chips in them were fried beyond repair.....
Old 2006-06-08, 13:12   Link #9
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33t_n00b
Once a tidal wave was comming over to my house but the Pumpkin I always have laying around in the corner of my room absorbed the water.
I'm telling you use a pumpkin they are life savers against every natural disaster like earthquakes, tsunami's, thunder etc.

lol the idea of an pumpkin absorbing water enough to make any diferance is laughable not only would it not absorb very much water it would become a mess. and a pumpkin would probable kill you in a earth quake.

lison and let it me know "the only think pumpkins are good for are for pie"

[off topic] also what would a l337 /\/008 know compaired to a l337 /\/\45+3l2 (^^) [off topic]

just a little l337 joke
Old 2006-06-08, 13:14   Link #10
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
the T.V. and DVD player a too far gone to be repaired. We're talking about most of the computer chips in them were fried beyond repair.....
well try looking it in a positive view point, at the very least it wasn't the house that was fried up
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 13:23   Link #11
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

yup now that is the most to be thankful for, You still have a place to live (^^)

apliences can me replaced but your life cant. sort of like my fav. saying

"He who dies with the most toys, still dies."
Old 2006-06-08, 14:26   Link #12
Astrayred
-=ARX-7 Arbalest=-

Send a message via MSN to Astrayred
You are pretty lucky as one of my friend's house was struck by lightning which caused short-circuits and almost ignited a big fire in their house.So yes better be safe and buy some Surge protectors :P
Old 2006-06-08, 15:33   Link #13
Rin-Sama
Banned

Very True. I thanked God that my house didn't go up in flames.....
Old 2006-06-08, 16:15   Link #14
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Wow long list, anyway your safe so its all good, =D

Yeah general rule of thumb, i turn off most electrical stuff during an thunder storm.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 17:45   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

lol becareful in the future, because science has proved the saying 'lightning doesn't strike the same place twice" to be absolutely untrue lol.

If a spot have been struck by lightning, its more likely to be struck again, because that point probably means its a good spot to be strucked.

Lightning once struck directly outside my window once, I was using the com and there was an extremely bright blue flash. I've seen nothing like that or anything closer than this since. My vision was black for several seconds.

The lightning also released an EMP wave of some sort causing my digital piano to switch on itself and emit a sound probably with the frequency of the EMP. Luckily it didn't have any problems when I got the technician to do a check.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 18:54   Link #16
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
That sucks dude. Did you have any insurance on any of those things?

I only have a surge protector for my computer. It's the only thing that really matters.
Maxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 19:26   Link #17
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
I have surge protectors on all of my electrical appliances except for the microwave and refridgerators. My desktop is on a battery back up protector, and I use the phone cord ground too. The only thing that isn't grounded is my network, I'm looking for a surge protector with an ethernet ground though...
Old 2006-06-08, 20:06   Link #18
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Yeah, I've been there. Roughly 20 yrs ago, lightning hit a few feet from my house. The phone line was physically melted where ma bell had to come, dig up the street, and run a new line to my house. Ditto with the power line. I lost almost everything that's hooked up to the outlet. The only things that survived was the washer, dishwasher, 2 frigs, central air, central vac... and whatever was hooked up to my 5 Tripp lite and APC UPS's. Surge protectors didn't protect squat, they were melted and the appliances still got fried. Some were cheapo surge protectors, but a few were high end tripp lites and APCs. I also lost all the tripp lite UPS and 1 APC, but no appliances hooked up to them had a problem. If you want lightning protection, use a UPS. Surge protectors are useless.

Thank god for home owner's insurance policy. Replaced nearly everything. I hope everything works out fine in the end for you as well...
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 18:16   Link #19
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Most surge protectors come with an insurance policy if you saved teh paperwork.

As long as the jolt didn't exceed the maximum rated surge any appliance connected to the protector that was damaged should be repaired/replaced under that insurance policy. One of the surge protectors I own has a $250,000 policy with it should anything be damaged..as long as the surge didn't exceed teh max rcapability of the protector.

Weither or not this policy is valid in homes without a ground wire or sufficient grounding, I'm not sure.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 19:20   Link #20
kira_lacusXX
LOVELY☆COMPLEX

o that really sucks!! D: so where were you when it happened?
kira_lacusXX is offline   Reply With Quote