AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-02-22, 22:59   Link #1
nonexistinghero

PS2/PS3 on LCD monitor help

Im planning to connect my PS2 to my 19in Dell SE198WRP (1440x900) using this process:

VIDEO: ps2 component cable>Triple RCA (female) to triple RCA (female)>DVI-I to 3 RCA component cable>monitor
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

AUDIO: the red and white from ps2 component cable>3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Jack cable>speakers

Here are my questions:
1)Will it work it and how is the quality compared to a vga box? (such as HD Box Pro/XRGB)
2)Should i convert to vga or dvi?
3)Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
nonexistinghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 23:17   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The problem is that the component cable does not output actual DVI signals, so a picture might not even show up if you try to do that.

Try a Component to VGA cable, but the easiest way is to get a capture card that doesn't cause gaming lag and play on the computer that way, although most only support S-Video or composite.

Also, some Dell monitors have S Video and Composite inputs built in, but most likely on the higher end models.
Old 2010-02-22, 23:39   Link #3
nonexistinghero

So long as i replace the DVI-I to 3 RCA component cable to VGA to 3 RCA component cable my setup would work right? (sound&video) How would you think the video quality is compared to a vga box, my computer is a hp firebird and i think theres no open slot for a capture card..
Old 2010-02-23, 00:32   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Don't expect brilliant results when connecting old video game hardware (such as the PS2) to a LCD screen (monitor or TV), especially considering most PS2 games only output 480i which doesn't look very good on most LCD screens.

This site is undoubtedly the best resource I've found regarding this issue (making PS2 and older consoles not just work, but look good on LCD):
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 20:01   Link #5
nonexistinghero

yea, i know ps2 is bad on lcd/hd so im wondering which is better my wire setup up or a vga box. The cheaper method is the wires..
Old 2010-02-23, 20:10   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexistinghero View Post
So long as i replace the DVI-I to 3 RCA component cable to VGA to 3 RCA component cable my setup would work right? (sound&video) How would you think the video quality is compared to a vga box, my computer is a hp firebird and i think theres no open slot for a capture card..
A PCI expansion card isn't necessary. Since most games are 480i, the quality to the capture card won't be as much as a problem. You can find these capture and TV tuners as a USB adapter, where you just plug your computer. Be careful since some TV tuners have built in encoders, which makes it unsuitable for gameplay because of the lag.

Some TV Tuner cards, especially the USB ones come out with a breakout cable which you hook in the RCA cables.

The best solution is looking into boxes as GHDpro suggested. This will cause less hassle looking for a Capture Card/TV Tuner that doesn't lag.
Old 2010-02-23, 20:56   Link #7
nonexistinghero

Im bidding on a vga box that normally costs $50-71. My question now is do you know if a vgabox is better than my method of wires (male>female>male method). The wires will cost me around $17 so if the box is not better i rather buy the wires and do the connection in my first post. I assume the wires just convert and transfer signal from component to vga(no attempt to change quality) while a vga box actually attempts to improve the quality? Which of these 2 methods should i choose?
Old 2010-02-23, 23:02   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Im bidding on a vga box that normally costs $50-71. My question now is do you know if a vgabox is better than my method of wires (male>female>male method). The wires will cost me around $17 so if the box is not better i rather buy the wires and do the connection in my first post. I assume the wires just convert and transfer signal from component to vga(no attempt to change quality) while a vga box actually attempts to improve the quality? Which of these 2 methods should i choose?
The cable won't work if you look at the description:

This cable will not convert RGBHV into Y, Pr, Pb.
This cable will not convert Y, Pr, Pb to RGBHV
This cable will not support Y, Cr, Cb.
This cable will not convert digital signals to analog or visa versa.

You will need a box to convert the signal since the actual cables won't do the conversion itself. If you had a Playstation 3 (with PS2 compatibility), all you needed to do is get a HDMI to DVI cable and hook it to your monitor, considering if your monitor supports HDCP (High Definition Content Protection), but I didn't mention that since you didn't indicate that you owned a PS3.

So yeah, either the Box or a capture card is your only choices in this case.
Old 2010-02-23, 23:23   Link #9
nonexistinghero

sadly my ps3 is a slim, thanks for telling me the wires dont convert the signal. guess i will get a box.
Old 2010-02-24, 02:40   Link #10
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Your post has got me interested in improving PS2 (and my other consoles without HD output) picture quality on LCD screens again, so I've ordered this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180473393548

I have tried hooking up my PS2 (and Wii and Xbox) through component before, and those didn't look very great on my Samsung 32" HD-ready (1368x768) TV. They did look quite a bit better on my new Philips 42" Full HD (1920x1200) TV though, so LCD hardware definitely has an influence.

It'll be interesting to see what influence this box will have on picture quality. Unfortunately it may take a few weeks before I can try (because of shipping and because I don't have access to my older consoles at the moment). I may be able to post results mid-March if all goes right.
Old 2010-02-24, 09:29   Link #11
nonexistinghero

hmm, that looks like a high box without the logo.. apparently the high box is a clone of the first version of the hd box pro so i look forward to your results. Hope you remember to post.
Old 2010-02-24, 10:11   Link #12
Sides

Thing is PS3/360 on LCD (1080p) is OK. If you have a 360 and a 1368x768 TV, use the vga cable. For all the other systems you want to get a crt or plasma, but you could try tweaking a lcd tv, like by lowering or disabling sharpness and adjusting backlight.
Back to opener, go for a HD Box Pro, or clones, but it (ps2) will still look horrible on LCD. Maybe just use the ps2 emulator, if you have decent machine.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 12:40   Link #13
nonexistinghero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Back to opener, go for a HD Box Pro, or clones, but it (ps2) will still look horrible on LCD. Maybe just use the ps2 emulator, if you have decent machine.
I havent checked a ps2 emulator, so i wonder how does it work? Do i just find a emulator online (which is best) and play using my actual ps2 disc? or iso..
My specs are
Vista 64-bit
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 4.0GB RAM
NVIDIA nFORCE 760i SLI
think that would be enough for emulation?

Also i assume the emulator method produces better video quality since the signal doesnt need to be converted?
Old 2010-02-24, 13:28   Link #14
Sides

Quote:
I havent checked a ps2 emulator, so i wonder how does it work? Do i just find a emulator online (which is best) and play using my actual ps2 disc? or iso..
My specs are
Vista 64-bit
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 4.0GB RAM
NVIDIA nFORCE 760i SLI
think that would be enough for emulation?

Also i assume the emulator method produces better video quality since the signal doesnt need to be converted?
There is only one emu, pcsx2. Your system should be fine, but since it is an emulator most of the work is carried out by the cpu, so even with a i7 you'll still get slow downs, with some titles. With an emulator like this one it will render the graphics at a higher res, unless you choose not to, with a scaler box the image will be scaled, so technically it should give you a better visuals. However it is free so give it a shot.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 17:29   Link #15
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I got the "High Box" VGA converter in last week, and have now tried it with my Japanse PS2 & US Wii.

The results are a little disappointing.

First, the built quality and design of the device isn't great. The worst problem was the included power supply: it had Asian plug, for which they included a travel adapter. But the guys who designed that adapter apparently never tried it in Europe - in the Netherlands at least "Euro" plugs are a little recessed, so the plug fits inside the socket. The shape of the travel adapter was clearly meant for a completely flat socket - which is something I haven't seen anywhere (for "Euro" sockets), so it didn't fit and was pretty useless. But that wasn't the biggest problem - the real problem was that the power adapter wouldn't connect right to the box, causing the device to lose power or reset itself with the slightest touch. Like... when using the buttons to configure the damn thing

Anyway, I found a universal power supply tonight which fit perfectly - so no more random resets. The next problem as that the 24" Full HD LCD monitor I tried it on somehow couldn't handle the 1920x1080 picture the device generated. And not running on native resolution won't help the picture quality.

So... I dragged an older 19" 5:4 (non-widescreen) LCD monitor from storage. As the native resolution of this monitor was just 1280x1024, there was no problem getting the device to run at native resolution.

And it has to be said... it in a way does what it promises: it allows you to display component video on TVs/monitors without component inputs (but with VGA input). That part works as advertised.

The thing is though... my LCD TV does have component inputs (as is pretty much standard) and the picture quality I get from running the component video through this "High Box" does not look any better than when I hook my PS2 or Wii directly up to the TV. In other words, it doesn't really improve anything as far as I can see.
Old 2010-03-08, 23:32   Link #16
nonexistinghero

Seems disappointing, thank you ghd, i now know im not going to buy one.
Old 2010-03-09, 12:36   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This wouldn't even be an issue if Sony hadn't been stupid about PS2 emulation on the PS3. >.>;