AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 24 36.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 43.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 15.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-14, 16:42   Link #21
YayPepsi

I thought Himari's "whatever" attitude was a nice change of pace this week. She's been pretty much all sweetness and light up until now (besides her little episode with the ribbons on her flashback). It was nice to see another side to her. I hope she does reconnect with Hikari and Hibari though, or at least...we get an ep about those two.

Interesting to see Kanba ordering those men around. His behavior has always been shady but this is the first time we've seen him do more than get money from one of them. I wish Natsume hadn't interrupted. (She's probably my least favorite so far, though I love Esmerelda.)

Just when I thought this show couldn't possibly get weirder...bam. The ending. I'll never doubt you again Ikuhara. I guess we know why there were three cats now...Tabuki, Momoka, and Yuri. Or at least that's the way I took it.

I don't get why Yuri thinks that Momoka was the only one who didn't mind her body though. First of all...they were all elementary kids. When would Momoka get to see her body like that? Secondly, I don't think it's as simple as Yuri being a hermaphrodite honestly. How would she be able to hide her "true body" from everyone who she's had sex with? Wouldn't something like that be hard to hide?
Old 2011-10-14, 16:50   Link #22
Ghostfriendly

Spoiler for ep 14:

I starting off unimpressed that Shouma was blaming himself for something the Takakura kids had absolutely no part in; but I suppose they're been ostracised so much by others, that they've grown bitter. If the boys still love their parents, they probably can't wholeheartedly condemn their crimes, and feel guilt because of that.

I can't imagine Yuri is a heamaphrodite, its unnecessary and too crude for this kind of anime. 'something wrong with your body' is probably just a figure of speech for lesbo.
Old 2011-10-14, 17:01   Link #23
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
How would she be able to hide her "true body" from everyone who she's had sex with? Wouldn't something like that be hard to hide?
She doesn't. Whatever the "secret" her body bears, Yuuki knows about it since she threatens her to make it public. Tabuki being her childhood friend, he knew about it probably when they decided on their marriage, which is only a farce at least concerning Yuri.
I do wonder if this is also true for Tabuki though. We know he loved Momoka very much and didn't want to believe in her death when he was a kid, but his speech in episode 13 sounds sincere. Maybe he really did gave up on her. Maybe he really does love Yuri as she is...
That's pretty much the only way she could be saved at this point. She is obsessed with a dead girl and mentally messed up, but maybe if someone proved his/her true love toward her that would fix her a bit :/ At this point I hope he will be the one to stop her and save Ringo next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
'something wrong with your body' is probably just a figure of speech for lesbo.
Would be a completely unheard way to put it then.
Old 2011-10-14, 17:11   Link #24
YayPepsi

Quote:
She doesn't. Whatever the "secret" her body bears, Yuuki knows about it since she threatens her to make it public.
Ah, that's right. I forgot that she said that at the beginning of the ep. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 2011-10-14, 17:11   Link #25
Auria

At some point I began to wonder if Yuri IS Momoka. ... Whatever. Can somebody please save Ringo kthxbai
Old 2011-10-14, 17:14   Link #26
Used Can

Mawaru Penguindrum - aka There's Something About Momoka
Old 2011-10-14, 17:20   Link #27
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Sho was a complete douche.

Ringo was great.

Kanba...was Kanba. But, we get confirmation the shady black penguin guys he's been getting money from (for what jobs, remains a mystery), aren't on the same faction as Kanba's stalker and her black penguin.

Yuri...Yuri...lol. Beyond my expectations. Yuri, you are one crazy girl. And smokin' hot. Assuming you are a girl of course.

Momoka. Damn. Momoka must have been one of those one in a billion girls or something for everyone seeming to be in love with her.

I guess it was sort of implied that Yuri is not Momoka now, though if she is in some twisted way, the whole hotsprings part of the episode and the dialog gets an extra level of hilarious. I mean, she's essentially living out the life written in the diary, so hrm.

Now we just need an episode that opens up Tabuki's character some, as I'm sure he's hiding some lolness like everyone else in this show.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-14, 17:24   Link #28
Kitsu Breaker

Please, the secret of her body doesn't mean she is hermaphodite, can be scarn, a deformation, anything

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Old 2011-10-14, 17:25   Link #29
Nikkan

Spoiler for 14:
Old 2011-10-14, 17:39   Link #30
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Personally, I'm rooting for something disfiguring around her genital region. Perhaps due to the same incident that gave Tabuki his gnarly scars around his fingers.

Yuri seems obsessed with beauty and how that's what's most important and how the world wouldn't think her beautiful if they knew her secret.

That said, my hope that it's just a huge scar or something is half due to me hoping she really is a woman, so I can keep thinking she's hot without feeling weird about it.

Considering the director and the show, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash if it turns out she has a penis, though that would seem to be a very weird thing one would share with a childhood friend, assuming we take Yuri's words at face value when she speaks of Momoka and isn't speaking of Momoka as a different person from the perspective of actually being Momoka, but considering herself a different person due to some event in her past (sorry if that sentence is...confusing ).
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-14, 19:09   Link #31
ScudFace

This show is about all sorts of twisted love. necrophila, wincest, penguin on penguin, pedo, stalkers....ect
Old 2011-10-14, 19:12   Link #32
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I've always liked Ringo, so I'd hate to see her get raped by a futa, or even lesbinated by Yuri. As others have said, I'm banking on Natsume to take advantage of this situation to steal the diary back, since, based on how she was talking to Sanetoshi, she knows who has it.

One of the things I wonder is, is "Why now?"? If Yuri truly thought she was a near-perfect incarnation of Momoka, why did she wait until now to grab Ringo? Was she simply trying to block Ringo from getting her hands on Tabuki by marrying him, so that she could have Ringo to herself?

Shouma being emo is just horribly boring to watch. What really attracted me to his char was his easygoing attitude. Even given the recent events he's experienced, I'm disappointed that he's turned out this way, esp considering some episodes ago, he specifically made cabbage rolls to make up with Ringo. Not to mention Ringo not doing or saying ANYTHING to tip Shouma the wrong way; in fact, she was being as supportive as an outsider could be, imo.
Old 2011-10-14, 19:13   Link #33
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

This episode is bizarre to the max!

Shou treatment of Ringo this episode was irrational, he cannot let go of the past and he blame himself for her lost, but at the same time, he was able to it sound like she was at fault too.

Himari is alive again, maybe she didn't realize she been dead a few times... there's still a mystery surrounding her friends, is she jealous of them or did some sort of situation happened, before Himari left school?

Kanba deluding himself, thinking what he is involve with is right and using his family as justification to do so. Still personally don't like this guy.

Natsume, you're a crazy stalker, who's also trying to save her little brother, but I don't care much for you, as a character. Move on already, we already have Ringo calling debs on this area.

Now, finally to Yuri, I believe she was regarding her sexuality as being dirty and not excepted
- so she does not have a penis (hopefully not)
- she was in love with Momoka (mentally not stable, at a young age and still 16 yrs later)

Anyone here thinks, Ringo has Pyrokinesis? Did you guys notice the OP, where she runs ablaze and in this episode, the torches started to waver?
Old 2011-10-14, 19:21   Link #34
lion girl

I just want to say that if Yuri does have set of balls under her robe -- that doesn't make her any less of a woman. If she does, it only makes her transgender. She clearly presents as a woman, she clearly identifies as a woman. She lives as a woman, and some of the responses to her possibly being trans* are downright offensive. She's still a woman, so saying it's not "yuri" is saying she's not a woman, since "yuri" is f/f. That is undermining her identity. Denying a person their identity is one of the most offensive things you can do, in my opinion. Then again, no wonder she's going on about lies in this episode and how no one could love her but Momoka-- if this is how people respond to it.

I'm sure someone will say "Yuri's not REAL THOUGH!!" but this is a real world issue, transphobia, that is. I firmly believe people need to be called out when this happens and this is one of those cases.

Yuri refers to herself as a woman, so she clearly identifies as a woman. Regardless of whatever she's got going on down there, immediately meeting it with revulsion and cries of "she might not be a woman!" are the wrong way to approach it.

Personally, I was far too disturbed by what she did in this episode to care about her downstairs. It was a great episode, I think, and finally figuring out partially what Yuri's deal is was very nice. Next week can't come sooner.
Old 2011-10-14, 19:46   Link #35
Used Can

^I'm sure people aren't talking about Yuri being transgender but intersex.
Old 2011-10-14, 20:07   Link #36
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion girl View Post
She's still a woman, so saying it's not "yuri" is saying she's not a woman, since "yuri" is f/f. That is undermining her identity.
First, I doubt Yuri would be considered transgendered. Yuri, if she hermaphrodite, has the body of a woman, is identified by the society as a woman and refers to herself as a woman. Her (completely hypothetical!) male organ isn't influencing her gender. More like a 3rd unwanted arm?

Second, I don't think I've seen people claiming she wasn't a woman. Some have claimed (me included) they would prefer if she had a typical female body and that's it.

Finally, no. HermaphroditeXFemale isn't yuri. It's a sui generis kind of H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee
Anyone here thinks, Ringo has Pyrokinesis? Did you guys notice the OP, where she runs ablaze and in this episode, the torches started to waver?
Either her or Yuri, but there was certainly going on with those torches in the rotenburo and in the bedroom. Thou both times it was when Yuri started mentioning Momoka, so that could be a sign of her arousal (or the vivid flame of passion burning in her chest, if you want to put it in a more romantic way )
Old 2011-10-14, 20:28   Link #37
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Disturbing truth about Yuri. So she was the one that stole the other half. Poor Ringo first Shouma giver her the boot now she's about to get raped. Hopefully Natsume comes in at the perfect moment and saves Ringo and takes the diary.
Old 2011-10-14, 20:38   Link #38
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Holy crap, call an adult! Somebody call an adult!!

I know I should be squick'd by underage Ringo getting stripped, but more people have seen her naked than the statue of David at this point in the series.

Also, that rejection from Shouma If you'd told me two months ago I'd feel this bad for either of them (let alone both) I'd have called you a liar.
Old 2011-10-14, 20:40   Link #39
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Shouma being emo is just horribly boring to watch. What really attracted me to his char was his easygoing attitude. Even given the recent events he's experienced, I'm disappointed that he's turned out this way, esp considering some episodes ago, he specifically made cabbage rolls to make up with Ringo. Not to mention Ringo not doing or saying ANYTHING to tip Shouma the wrong way; in fact, she was being as supportive as an outsider could be, imo.
The scene with Shouma & Ringo was my favorite part of the episode even though it was incredibly hard to watch. It's just the emotion it brought into me was very strong because you can see how much Ringo has grown to care about Shouma. And I could tell Shouma was making a huge mistake.

However it was not perfect and this was based on lack of information on the anime's part. For people who read the novel, Shouma's change in personality would not come as a shock because he mentions this side of him in the first chapter.

It's the same with Himari actually the novel did a much better job of showing how lonely she is where there are only subtle hints of it in the anime.

I also think the other thing this part did wrong was Shouma tells us that whenever people found out about his family he was rejected but we are not really shown this in the anime so I don't understand his words fully. It's like I have to just accept what he says.

But still as a Shouma/Ringo shipper I loved this scene. Oh it hurt me horribly but I know in my heart Ringo will help Shouma like he helped her and it will just be all the sweeter when that moment does happen.
Old 2011-10-14, 21:29   Link #40
Forsaken_Infinity

We finally got to see some other shades of Himari and Sho's personality. About time they peeled off their apparent easygoing mask, really.

I kind of had a very strong idea that Yuri was into Yuri - and I kind of figured she was "balls-deep" into Momoka if she wasn't Momoka herself (and that last episode kind of ruled her out as Momoka) - but holy shit, if the episode did in fact keep talking about exactly that which I hope it wasn't, then I got one-upped hardcore because Yuri's name would be ironic and not literal. But it was about time we got to see her side of the story too. Twisted as she is, she is indeed fabulous max. But it does kind of take away from her earlier charade of confidence. Farewell to the mature woman Yuri who had utmost confidence in her love. But I always knew she didn't exist anyway ;_;

This does open up the possibility that Tabuki is actually over Momoka. The chances are still pretty low, considering the fact that he is hooked up to Yuri in a relationship she describes as a lie but it might be true from his side. I kind of hope he actually has grown out of the depression - that would really be fabulous max - but we'll see.

I don't get what Yuri was trying to achieve by hindering Ringo's efforts into following the diary earlier on though. She obviously knew what was in it considering she was there on the exact time and location with Tabuki on every single instance. Was she trying to make her grow over Tabuki to take her for herself? Or was she trying to condition her into becoming so obsessed with becoming Momoka that she would pretty much never give up? And given that she already knew the content of the diary, why would she steal the diary? Does that mean she knows about the penguindrum yada yada?

In any case, Yuri knew about Ringo and Shouma and yet let their relationship progress. To the point where Ringo is trying stuff that normal girls try to get attention lol. Too bad Shouma isn't a normal guy - not even close :x

Oh and the best part about the episode was Esmeralda forcing Meganekko cosplay pics of hers onto #1. Absolutely hilarious.
Closed Thread