AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 488 56.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 237 27.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 6.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 44 5.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 0.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 0.81%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-16, 13:09   Link #141
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Which I believe, but may be wrong, is Zero No Tsukaima. Whether anyone will even talk about this show in 5 or so years remains to be seen, it'll surprise me if they do though, most people will have full-time jobs or be supporting a family by then. Also a new more popular show will be the talk of the town by then, and I'll still be watching stuff from the 70's and 80's probably.
Then again ... people thought Lord of the Rings was a fad classic of the 1960s...

Not making that comparison yet ... but time will tell. There are a lot of classics that don't get talked about because they're so obvious and everyone knows them.

I'll point out its possible to have a job and family and still enjoy anime as a hobby. And its possible to like the old stuff and the new stuff (kind of like music).
Old 2006-08-16, 13:31   Link #142
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Then again ... people thought Lord of the Rings was a fad classic of the 1960s...

Not making that comparison yet ... but time will tell. There are a lot of classics that don't get talked about because they're so obvious and everyone knows them.

I'll point out its possible to have a job and family and still enjoy anime as a hobby. And its possible to like the old stuff and the new stuff (kind of like music).
Hmmm... we will see I guess, good points.
Old 2006-08-16, 13:46   Link #143
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The biggest problem with *any* series, book, or whatever having longevity is exposure. Any of these anime series ... for them to have longevity requires some critical mass of people being exposed to them and new blood discovering them.

Be it Moby Dick (not too many people can't at least ping on "Ahab and the White Whale") versus some masterpiece by Twain most people have never heard of....

The useful thing will be to watch Haruhi evolve in Japan ... outside in the rest of the world we're so marginal as to be just vapor. Assuming Kyo-Ani takes a couple of years to approach the subject again (after Kanon and Metal Panic?), will there be a surge or will everyone say "who?".

I'd be the last to deny there's not a chunk of Haruhi that isn't "marketing mana" (i.e. designed to attack market weaknessness) but, like, Star Trek or other cultural phenomenom --- there are core shards of very interesting stuff inside.
Old 2006-08-16, 14:03   Link #144
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The biggest problem with *any* series, book, or whatever having longevity is exposure. Any of these anime series ... for them to have longevity requires some critical mass of people being exposed to them and new blood discovering them.
And, of course, merchandising is at the forefront of this effort. As you pointed out, some series started out with a lot of merchandise, but still flopped. While Haruhi seems to be a merchandise poor series atm, its success seems to be more "word of mouth" than anything else, and that (and the novels, DVDs, and manga) will keep the show in the public's memory banks until Kyoani is ready to do season 2.
Old 2006-08-17, 17:53   Link #145
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, because Haruhiism has so little merchandise, stuff gets sold out in no time at all and figure get sold at 3000 US dollars.

But I'm still thinking that Haruhi is too unique and affects too little audience, or I should say not many people are able to accept the show. This is for foreign countries, I'm sure Haruhi is doing really well in Japan.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-08-18, 11:14   Link #146
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Well, because Haruhiism has so little merchandise, stuff gets sold out in no time at all and figure get sold at 3000 US dollars.

But I'm still thinking that Haruhi is too unique and affects too little audience, or I should say not many people are able to accept the show. This is for foreign countries, I'm sure Haruhi is doing really well in Japan.
I'm sure word of mouth is doing its job around the world as it is in Japan (albeit at a MUCH slower pace). People just need to be exposed to the show and from then on, let them form their own opinions about it. The novels I found had a more specific audience than the anime which had more elements that a braoder number of people may like. So therein lies a good chance that a good number of people would at least enjoy some aspects of the show, or convert to Haruhiism regardless of where they're from.

At the very least, it's a damned good gateway drug into the novels.
Old 2006-09-19, 08:56   Link #147
-Ajax-
Fanatical Kyon Follower

Send a message via AIM to -Ajax-
10 because ive rarely enjoyed an anime more than this one, it might go down to 9.7 for only being 14 eps
Old 2006-10-21, 10:53   Link #148
piccu

No doubt: Perfect ten !
Old 2006-11-07, 16:46   Link #149
Anaglyph

"Perfect 10"

Just recently watched it and was blown away. Never expected anything to challenge Marimite's place in my affections but these two occupy a spot significantly beyond any other anime I've watched.

The only way it could be even more perfect *wink* would be if my inner romantic was properly satisfied by Haruhi and Kyon fully crossing to the other side of a certain river in Egypt.

Last edited by Anaglyph; 2006-11-07 at 17:20.
Old 2006-11-07, 18:26   Link #150
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yay, another victim of SHnY! Welcome. Strangely enough, one of my favorite eps is the "Day in the Rain" (anime only) that really kind of reinforces the bonds everyone has developed over the crazy year they just experienced. (you know, the episode that some critics say "nothing happened" in, where Kyon is sent to get the heater for the club )
Old 2006-11-07, 20:19   Link #151
Anaglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yay, another victim of SHnY! Welcome.
Thanks.

Quote:
Strangely enough, one of my favorite eps is the "Day in the Rain" (anime only) that really kind of reinforces the bonds everyone has developed over the crazy year they just experienced. (you know, the episode that some critics say "nothing happened" in, where Kyon is sent to get the heater for the club )
Yeah, lovely mood in that one, brilliantly evoked by the production. It's the episode that benefits most from watching the series in chronological order, in my opinion, as it serves as a really nice epilogue, and closing with the charming shared umbrella sequence gives Haruhi/Kyon fans hope for the future.
Old 2006-11-07, 23:37   Link #152
bl4xb0x
AKA Merlow
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bl4xb0x Send a message via MSN to bl4xb0x Send a message via Yahoo to bl4xb0x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane View Post
At the very least, it's a damned good gateway drug into the novels.
That is very true. After watching this series at least three times, I started looking around for the novels and the novel translations (huge props to the people at baka-tsuki for their continued efforts). After reading up to Volume 4, Chapter 4, I can't get enough.

Now, if they made a sequal or an OVA based on the other novels after ep14 or even novels/chapters that occured during the series (such as "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" or the "The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi") I think would suplement the series even further
Old 2006-11-08, 13:36   Link #153
anselfir
Style Über Alles

9.5+ but rounded to 9. Very enjoyable series that shows what people care about in a story is not that the story makes sense in a self-serious way but that it initiates interesting thoughts and has good moments.
Old 2006-11-11, 09:09   Link #154
Charmmy Kitty
Red eyes in Darkness

Send a message via ICQ to Charmmy Kitty Send a message via MSN to Charmmy Kitty
I voted for 9 out of 10 because I don't think, that series are absolutley perfect.Yeah, I really find them great.I cannot understand one thing - why the episodes are not in time order?????
Old 2006-11-11, 16:48   Link #155
Pakxenon
popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmmy Kitty View Post
I voted for 9 out of 10 because I don't think, that series are absolutley perfect.Yeah, I really find them great.I cannot understand one thing - why the episodes are not in time order?????
'Cuz Haruhi said so (she's God).

Actually, it's because the main story is only 6 episodes long, so they have to shuffle it to make the story extend for 14 episodes.
Old 2006-11-12, 03:22   Link #156
Charmmy Kitty
Red eyes in Darkness

Send a message via ICQ to Charmmy Kitty Send a message via MSN to Charmmy Kitty
Pakxenon but it so stupid >_<
Yeah, Haruhi is a God xD
Old 2006-11-29, 22:35   Link #157
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

From a film making standpoint, showing the episodes "out of order" -- or in Haruhi order is an artistic decision to increase your empathy with Kyon's disorientation. Time-disorder (which includes flashbacks, reverse-order, etc) has been used by a few brave directors for decades to enhance the surrealism of a story or put the audience into the viewpoint of the protagonist.
"12 Monkeys" ... "Total Recall" ... are two examples where your disorientation of "when" or "where" is key to the story.

If you watch the old Twilight Zone series (the black and white one, eh?) -- there are a few short stories in there that play these sorts of mind games.

As was recommended a few pages back... it is entertaining to watch in aired order.. and then go back and watch it in "time" order and watch how the relationships evolve between the characters.
Old 2006-12-23, 13:22   Link #158
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I'm currently watching it the second time, in chronological order now.
Giving it any rating below a "perfect 10" is just unforgivable.
Old 2006-12-24, 01:38   Link #159
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
A 9.5 here maybe a 10 if there will be a next season...(and as good as it is)
I love the way it is ordered.... I think that's a right move by a genius
Old 2006-12-29, 23:29   Link #160
Quinn Mathis

I'm not sure I would give the series a "Perfect 10" or "Masterpiece" right off the bat, but I would give it a 9+ (around 9.5?). Great show of creativity and artistic expression (episode ordering, philosophical musings), very good character designs, a highly underrated score does make a strong case for a "Masterpiece" rating, though.

Overall, it was great, yet I don't think it reached a level of perfection. Rather dull color palette aside, it just doesn't feel or appear that way to me.
Closed Thread