AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: How annoying?
After a few minutes of that sort of thing I want to NUKE THEM TO HELL. 167 30.31%
It's only annoying when it's really excessive. 247 44.83%
It's interesting, like a sort of anime slang, but I wouldn't say it myself. 44 7.99%
Using Nihongo in my sentences is cooool ^____^ You are a chibi baka! 42 7.62%
おばけアメリカンのだ、日本語わかれない 51 9.26%
Voters: 551. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-16, 06:34   Link #481
Solafighter
Hige

Maa, ne..
Old 2009-04-15, 09:46   Link #482
KimmyChan

It's only annoying when it's really excessive, but apart from that, I don't actually mind it
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 09:57   Link #483
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
"lol" and "rofl" are real problems.
Lately I heard someone saying: "Wow, that's LOL" ....
Old 2009-04-15, 11:24   Link #484
aneroph

I didn't vote because you didn't have enough options. Your Japanese phrase is incorrect by the way. It isn't the people that put Japanese in their sentences that bother me. It's when they put Japanese in their sentences when all the Japanese they have learned is from anime. It is usually only a few words at a time and can EASILY be spotted as anime Japanese. I tend to insert Japanese sentences into my talking sometimes because 1) I have no friends that know any Japanese so any practice I can get is good 2) Sometimes I instinctively think of the Japanese sentence instead of the English sentence (3 years of college classes start to get through eventually) 3) Sometimes the Japanese sentence just makes more sense than what I could say in English even if I have to explain after I'm done. Still, I try to keep my use of Japanese to a minimum with people who don't know Japanese.
aneroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 14:07   Link #485
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I tend to get annoyed without trying when people overdo it in posts and fanfiction, so it's pretty easy to guess how I react when someone who is not Asian hits me with it in real life. I haven't outwardly been a jerk about it yet, but it would be easy to tell that I'm annoyed if you saw me.

If someone is taking a class, I would think it wouldn't be that hard to separate them from those that do it becuase of anime. Someone taking a class, especially 1st year people, may struggle through it a bit in an effort to get it right. I came across this, and I didn't mind it to much, though I didn't see the point of speaking to me since I don't know a lick of Japanese. She would have been better off speaking with a classmate imo. A veteran could probably speak it fluidly, but I haven't come across one that mixes Japanese with English in casual speech.

Someone who is a native from Japan or someone who was born in the US but lives in a bilingual household don't bother me either. My freshman year college roommate's family was from Nigeria, so while he was born in US, his family still used a different language often. I would her him talking to someone from home on the phone and he would switch from English to some other language just like that. I found it pretty cool and funny. I actually envy those who can speak english and another language so naturally, it's a very useful ability.

Now, someone who gets it from anime would probably just blurt out random words like 'kawaii' and 'baka' in every sentence. Of course, they would probably be wearing apparel with an anime character on it and every conversation you have with them would turn towards how awesome anime and J-media is. I hate to stereotype, but . . . Yeah, they're out there. I've met them.

I'm not referring to all people who wear anime apparel and like J-pop, as long you keep a level head about it. I'm talking about those who feel the need to push a culture they think they know about from watching a few shows and reading manga when they don't onto other people.

Tl;Dr Version:
  • If you're making a genuine effort to learn it through classes, I don't mind too much.
  • If you're from a naturally bilingual household, I'm not annoyed one bit.
  • If you're blurting out random phrases because you saw it from English subbed anime. . .I don't find that cool and I think you're a poser.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-04-15 at 14:59.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 14:22   Link #486
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

I can see using words like "Otaku" that have no direct translation of course, and perhaps have grown to mean something else when used in the context of an english sentence, but "moe" and the like, I can't say I'm a big fan of that.

Some people I know who like Fanfictions insert japanese words into sentences. It does get a bit annoying when they force me to read them. They don't seem to understand that you can't simply look up the direct translation and throw it in a sentence and expect it to make any sense.

Perhaps I can see a bilingual person saying "kawaii" or whatever as a standalone phrase, but they wouldn't say "kanashii" in place of "sad" in some random sentence. It just wouldn't happen and it makes the author of the fanfiction seem ignorant when he/she puts something like that in there.

On an unrelated note, I know a kid that writes stuff like "(japanese word here) - Blue Cheese in japanese" on the white board in a class I go to. What the hell is the point of that? It's just attention whoring if you ask me.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 20:39   Link #487
AceD
See You En' Tee

i once saw someone on WoW adding ''desu'' to the end of his sentences

i thought it as pretty lame, dattebayo
AceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 00:35   Link #488
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

I don't mind desu, as it's used as joke more than an actual word. It is a meme and all.
Old 2009-04-16, 00:38   Link #489
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

It can be annoying. I kept adding Suiseiseki's "desu" after every statement and my friend wanted to kill me. Then I did Kanaria's "kashira" XD

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 00:42   Link #490
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

But isn't "being annoying" the point of doing something like that? XD

If you get annoyed by it, then the person doing it "wins" and gets to see you get angry over something silly like that.
Old 2009-04-16, 04:57   Link #491
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
But isn't "being annoying" the point of doing something like that? XD

If you get annoyed by it, then the person doing it "wins" and gets to see you get angry over something silly like that.
only if thats your intention...some people think its cool/cute or something and assume that other people will think the same.
i dont really mind, as long as its not excessive. i myself only use gomen sometimes.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 07:02   Link #492
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post

No, it's not desu.
dattebayo is lame desu.

Kidding aside, the only Japanese I use frequently are the Japanese terms, which are hard to find a replacing words that can keep their original meaning.
Old 2009-04-16, 09:08   Link #493
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
No, it's not desu.
dattebayo is lame desu.

Kidding aside, the only Japanese I use frequently are the Japanese terms, which are hard to find a replacing words that can keep their original meaning.
For example?
Give 3 terms, kinda curious on my end now.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 09:33   Link #494
KimmyChan

Too much Lol'ing gets pretty annoying after a while, just as Hs Vi Germania mentioned
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 09:55   Link #495
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
For example?
Give 3 terms, kinda curious on my end now.
Actually, it's not that special, and very close to you . Most of them are noun by the way. Like anime, loli, shota, bishounen or something that belongs to fetish as meganekko, mimikko, etc.
Old 2009-04-16, 10:19   Link #496
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I really find it very annoying when people put Japanese words with English... if you are doing it to try and learn the language is okay, but using it in every sentence you write or say is what I get annoyed at (with some exceptions like Anime terms). Injecting words from a different language with your native language without any educational purposes is considered abusing the language and can be offensive to people who knows that language or nationality.

Although I never met someone like that in real life, I can't say that much about experiences with these type of people.
Old 2009-04-16, 10:42   Link #497
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Actually, it's not that special, and very close to you . Most of them are noun by the way. Like anime, loli, shota, bishounen or something that belongs to fetish as meganekko, mimikko, etc.
Set terms related to the anime genre, yeah I guess those alike 'sushi' remain in their original form.
What kinda convos do you regulary have then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I really find it very annoying when people put Japanese words with English... if you are doing it to try and learn the language is okay, but using it in every sentence you write or say is what I get annoyed at (with some exceptions like Anime terms). Injecting words from a different language with your native language without any educational purposes is considered abusing the language and can be offensive to people who knows that language or nationality.
Not a bad point you raised there.
The Japanese not only abuse but sometimes slaughter the english language with custom phrases for advertisments, for 'cool' street cred, for emphasis or merely for comedy, but somedays it does bug the hell out of me.
More so when I read things in english (esp those which have a japanese meaning but gee, they have to use english/katakana for it) which have hardly any relation to the original meaning in my own native language.

Then again, some try it in an attempt just for the sake of trying and come out with some serious funky stuff, but I kinda exercise patience with that. It's not educational purposes per se, but for their efforts, esp with the english complex that's going on over there, I can appreciate it.

But the injecting words thing... well prob around natives I don't do it at all save to speak Japanese to them, but only around those in a similar mindset foreigner wise, may we mix jp and eng together, either for comic purposes or for a convo.
Depends on the company you keep, I suppose.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 16:12   Link #498
Hestia
Multilingual Girly Geek
*Fansubber

Never met a person who did it enough to annoy me... A guy from my japanese class likes to start swearing in japanese whenever our teacher gives us too much work or someone says something stupid in class, etc, but he can pull it off really well and everyone laughs, including our 50-year-old traditionally raised Japanese lady teacher who usually has us entering the classroom by saying "shitsureishimasu" and observing all kinds of japanese social rules while in her class. That guy can get pretty creative with his japanese btw, hehe.

Other than that, my native language is not english, so I suppose it would sound twice as lame to use stranded japanese words in our speech (been there, done that all the way back to primary school, where the 'cool' kids would try to intersperse their speech with random english words- gets old pretty quick). So, even the 'otaku' here speak normally, I think.
Hestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 16:25   Link #499
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
I never was that annoyed about Japanese. I guess that this is more a porblem of English speakers. In Germany any persons say sometimes "konnichiwa" and that stuff ... so it's not a big problem to me.
We have more problems with English influence, there are so many English words overflowing us, but seems to be equal to your Japanese problem.
I just say: BE TOUGH.

Woah, my grammar sucks.
Old 2009-04-17, 11:50   Link #500
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
"lol" and "rofl" are real problems.
Lately I heard someone saying: "Wow, that's LOL" ....
Oh yes. Just laugh, dammit! It comes naturally normally xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post

Lol! And I am actually laughing and not saying L-O-L to my notebook xD

Does it annoy me when people start to throw japanese terms at me? Yes, it does. Specially if I already told them that I don't understand a single thing. Why is it so hard to comprehend, that I want to understand the things someone says to me?
Of course it's not just limited to japanese - a friend once ticked me off because he was only talking in french to me, that idiot xD

I think it's impolite - especially in a one-on-one conversation. I also don't insert any tagalog vocabulary when I'm talking with my friends. Communication isn't a one-sided thing after all

But I guess there are exeptions. Like when a group of friends all do it e.g. if they study japanalogy (is that right in english? xD). It always depends to who you're talking with and where you use it. I don't think it's wrong to use the word 'otaku' in a forum like this or mention it in talk with a friend who's familiar to anime and stuff.

Even so, people shouldn't be oblivious to the fact that they can easily make a fool out of themselves when using single japanese words out of the blue. Like big ass guys who scream 'kawaiii' like a little girl - that's not cute ... it's scary XD
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote