AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 74 39.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 26.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 13.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 4.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 2.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.66%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-29, 10:31   Link #301
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
And Yuki is bored because Kyon did none of such. It may be killing the YukixKyon fanbase, but it is a setup.
I expect this to spawn a large number of fanfics about events that occurred during one of the repetitions that nobody remembers anymore.
Old 2009-06-29, 10:37   Link #302
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
No I'm pretty sure it's because Kyon's stupid and didn't figure it out.
Oh, he definitely figured it out. He was just too late for action. But he's stupid because he had a whole day to contact Haruhi, but went to bed instead.
Old 2009-06-29, 11:32   Link #303
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averus View Post
I just finished watching this episode and I simply *must* ask:
Spoiler for :
Sounds like a problem with whatever sub you watched.
Spoiler for Response:
Old 2009-06-29, 11:42   Link #304
othera

Wouldn't observing a barely changing infinite lupe(assumping it couldn't be broken without nagato) be... pointless? Anyways awesome ep, Didn't watch it till now >.<
Old 2009-06-29, 11:57   Link #305
GDB

But things were different between the loops, so in theory it would eventually have a loop where the trigger was pulled to end it.
Old 2009-06-29, 12:19   Link #306
Averus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Sounds like a problem with whatever sub you watched.
It's most probable, thanks for that clarification, it makes everything neat.
Old 2009-06-29, 12:48   Link #307
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I did the math and found it a little funny.

Total number of times looped = 15,948.

Total number of days between the start and end of loop = 30 - 17 + 1 = 14

Total number of days within all the loops = 15,948 * 14 = 223,272

Total number of years = 223,272 / 365.25 = 611.28542 (5 d.p)

Why did Kyon say 594 years? Did I do my math wrong?

If it is really 594 years looped, it would be 15486 times approx. If I used an estimate of 370 years, it would only be 15698 times. The 200-300 remainder is missing.

Wrong substitution. Sorry.

P.S Yuki is too cute. I want another nekomimi like her.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-06-29, 13:33   Link #308
OkamiNoKaze

Somethings I noticed in this episode and the last, and in other animes, Anime characters hardly ever have wet hair, with the exception of Ranma. Why does Yuki wear the mask on the side of her head, I've noticed that they do that in a couple other shows too. I think it's because they don't have eye holes, but wondered if there was another reason. Although in this episode, when they're talking about the homework, at point because of the angle, and how short Yuki's hair is it almost looks like she's wearing it on her face, looking towards us.
Old 2009-06-29, 13:52   Link #309
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Thumbs up

So I waited until afk's subs came out to watch the episode a second time (actually, a third, counting in the RAW) in order to review it.

First of all I must say this episode was the best of the new episodes yet.

What struck me most was the overall atmosphere. It was incredibly enthralling. The background music was quite fitting for the various scenes, especially the haunting/creepy one during the revelation. Some light piano all the time. What struck me even more, however, was the use of different visual effects. For example, when Kyon asks Yuki if she's alright and she says she is, the next scene we see Kyon react with an almost blood red sky background. I just found it impressive. Then, there's the increase in contrast whenever Kyon is an experiencing a déjà vu. If you think about it, that’s how flashbacks are sometimes made. Another thing was the dull green tone during the revelation scene. I don't know why, but that seemed fitting. Maybe it was because Koizumi's designated color tends to be green or maybe because it has a connection to sorcery and evil spirits (That would be Haruhi). I don't know if it had any meaning, but it just matched.

Characters, characters… Yeah, they acted great too. I was quite surprised even in the first viewing how good they managed to portray Yuki's boredom. Seriously. If I remember correctly, they mentioned that once or twice in the novels, but in this episode, it was really shown to the viewer. You could see it in her face too. Deliberate or not, seeing her looking at Kyon with an almost annoyed look was... Let's just say anyone could understand that.
Kyon was far more expressive than usual as well. In almost every scene you could see him make a certain expression. Especially his eyes widened/narrowed a lot. Near the end of the episode, when Haruhi claims it's enough, I swear, it seems like he has an actual DeathGlare, saying "No, it isn't enough for you, is it?"
Since this episode is basically "The Reaction", this makes a lot of sense. Another thing occurring to me is how Haruhi was barely in focus. At least, her feelings or anything, especially in that one déjà vu scene she appeared rather creepy. She was portrayed more of an antagonist than EVER, in my opinion, because the episode didn't even try to portray her viewpoint. Koizumi merely guessed the reason for the loop.

If we're already at Koizumi, he deserves special mention as this might have just been his best episode yet. I mean, he played homolust, troll, creepy as hell and a wide array of other acts all in one episode. Quite nice.

Apart from the very well portrayed boredom of Yuki, I found it ridiculously cute how she walked towards the masks during the O-Bon festival. Ah yeah, it's always the little things that make her a lovely character.

Also, fanservice! Haruhi, that swimsuit is absolutely awesome. Not to mention that cute tie combined with the black T-shirt. Oh hell yes. I may have an unorthodox fashion sense, but that is a new fetish of mine.

However, there was one thing I'd criticize about the episode, and that is starting with the déjà vu stuff right away. I mean, why the hell did they do that? They could have at least let the episode start with the holidays and let the audience react to that, then start with the déjà vu’s. That annoyed me quite a bit.

But overall, even though using up three episodes for Endless Eight might be overkill, considering there are many even greater stories waiting to get adapted, this episode was excellent. I'm not above saying it's better than the light novel version. I don't know if a different guy was behind this episode, if so, please make him stay. If they'd continue in such a quality, I don't fear anything.

That's all I have.
Old 2009-06-29, 14:01   Link #310
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Even knowing what this section of the story was going to be like, this episode sure does mess with your head. To say I am loving this new content would be a gross understatement. Can't wait to see where things go from here. Another 10/10 episode for me.
Old 2009-06-29, 15:01   Link #311
superzombie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
Endless 8 pt. 1 - fan service
Endless 8 pt. 2 - yaoi service

Anyone venture to guess who will be served next?
qft. There were so many shirtless moments and Koizumi getting close to Kyon moments lol. I really liked the episode, and I feel so bad for Nagato .
Old 2009-06-29, 15:17   Link #312
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
You have to wonder if something happened to Yuki in iteration 15497 that made her act this way... maybe Kyon (or someone else?) did something nice for her in that's now lost to the fabric of time...
And you too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
lol I still belong the faction that thinks that Yuki does not interfere becuz she enjoys the situation.

Imagine reseting over 15000+ times, surely there wil be sometimes kyon will have some romantic moments with her.

Who knows maybe in some of the resets, kyon actually deposits some genetic data in her? I am sure Yuki would love to have more data from kyon.
Then I'll point you back to page 8. linky

I'm hoping if they do have new content planned, it'll be Kyon tries out the confession with Haruhi only for it to fail, while Yuki, as moe as she ever is, looks on jealously/pining.
Old 2009-06-29, 15:31   Link #313
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
lol I still belong the faction that thinks that Yuki does not interfere becuz she enjoys the situation.

Imagine reseting over 15000+ times, surely there wil be sometimes kyon will have some romantic moments with her.

Who knows maybe in some of the resets, kyon actually deposits some genetic data in her? I am sure Yuki would love to have more data from kyon.
I'm actually thinking you might be onto something actually (Well, not with her enjoying the resets). The way she insists on paying for the mask herself after Kyon offers every time, and also how every time Haruhi notices and asks about the masks, I'm thinking in one of the past instances he did buy it for her and this lead to some kind of trouble with Haruhi.
Old 2009-06-29, 15:45   Link #314
kimchipride
Geass User

I have a question....

If Yuki has been living the same two weeks for the 594 years, why does she act the same every time?

For instance, why does she buy a mask at the festival every time?

And why does she buy a different mask as well?
Old 2009-06-29, 15:48   Link #315
typhonsentra

Buying something different probably breaks up the monotony. She has to go to the fair and do as Haruhi asks in order to have any hope of escaping the cycle, if things don't go as she wishes there's no hope.
Old 2009-06-29, 15:53   Link #316
Sefveron

i felt the strongest moment was when Yuki announced how many times they reset, the feeling you get up till that point that maybe that was the first of a couple of times at most, but when she said 15,480 its like the entire universe just caves in just by the raw sheer magnitude and gravity of how perilous the situation is.

And i love how all the episodes have so very very subtle cues as to what Haruhi is thinking or what she wants, like how she chose to ride with kyon on the bicycle, and how she first chose to go to the pool, aswell as other romantic settings such as the bon festival and stargazing and the beach aswell as this, i get the feeling that she wants Kyon to actually say more of what hes thinking and maybe even decide on something for himself instead of just willy nilly following like a dog

Also it could all just be a ploy to get him to ask for help with his stupid homework! 15,480 times and hes still hasnt asked her for help with it! how stupid can you be!

anyway i think the mask with yuki is a clue shes trying to give Kyon about the stargazing, where Haruhi mentions Martians or it could simple be a way to deter him from her as something may have happened when he asked her if she wanted to go get something to eat, as Haruhi may want something to happen when she gives kyon food near the end of the bon festival, or it could be that the mask that yuki wears is a trigger which causes Haruhi to ask the question about martians when stargazing.
Old 2009-06-29, 15:58   Link #317
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefveron View Post
Also it could all just be a ploy to get him to ask for help with his stupid homework! 15,480 times and hes still hasnt asked her for help with it! how stupid can you be!
It's funny, without knowing this was going to go into a repeating cycle I was wondering why he didn't just ask for Haruhi's help with his homework in episode 2. He even remarks that she has brains, so it seemed like the natural thing to do instead of dicking around all day and not accomplishing anything.
Old 2009-06-29, 16:52   Link #318
Eak
One angry cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
I have a question....

If Yuki has been living the same two weeks for the 594 years, why does she act the same every time?

For instance, why does she buy a mask at the festival every time?

And why does she buy a different mask as well?
She probably does the same thing to observe. The running the same "tests" over and over with the same conditions and a somewhat controlled environment is ideal (albeit boring) way of science. Their goal is to figure out how she has the power to do such things.
Old 2009-06-29, 17:55   Link #319
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
She probably does the same thing to observe. The running the same "tests" over and over with the same conditions and a somewhat controlled environment is ideal (albeit boring) way of science. Their goal is to figure out how she has the power to do such things.
I agree.

By keeping herself a non variable factor, it reduces the number of outcomes, which will eventually lead to an earlier end to the loops.

In other words, Yuki is so bored she just keeps doing the least affecting things she can do, so that the others can solve the problem faster.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-29, 19:33   Link #320
ReneeBurossamu

Why didn't Kyon ask Yuki to tell them about the loop the next two weeks?
Evidenced in Lone Island II, Yuki respects Kyon's words and listens to him.
Closed Thread