AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 11 21.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 21.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 13.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 19.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 15.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-02, 09:10   Link #41
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
I haven't play the game yet but hopefully Fabio is just a side character with not much of a role unlike the Anime version where he thinks he's the main character.
I laughed.

Was that a typo or was that on purpose?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-02, 09:12   Link #42
justavisitor

watch the subs...I like this episode...10/10
Spoiler for spoiler:

And I must be the minority who thinks this series is pretty good...probably because I haven't played the game...I watched other series too at the start, but eventually this is the only one I am watching so far and I think this series is getting better and better XD Thank god I don't have ps3
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-02, 09:18   Link #43
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Anyone else have a feeling they will change the ending from the game?

Maybe have Welkin and Faldio switch roles...

If they do...I'm not even going to watch the show. I stopped watching round ep 14 and check here for summary's and it seems like no one is happy.
Old 2009-08-02, 10:22   Link #44
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:

And I must be the minority who thinks this series is pretty good...probably because I haven't played the game...I watched other series too at the start, but eventually this is the only one I am watching so far and I think this series is getting better and better XD Thank god I don't have ps3
You're really missing out then
Old 2009-08-02, 10:26   Link #45
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have come to the conclusion that you could replace Welkin with any of the animals species he drools over and the lead would still be a useless lame duck.

The freaking pig with wings has more depth than he does!

I'm 1 more episode away from dropping this monstrosity. The 180 degree scriptfuck they've done on the plot and the characters is already ridiculous as it is, and at this point it's all going nowhere. The war, the relationships and the characters are completely all over the place.
Old 2009-08-02, 10:46   Link #46
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well I think they are trying too hard, because even when he stands up everyone will be so tired of him that will want his death.
It seems like in this episode he's trying to put up a strong face but in reality he's doing a really bad job of it.

Some people call the show a train wreck but it's more like a train wreck with Welkin.

First off Faldio tells him that he loves Alicia so he's unsure what to do but instead of dealing with it ignores it and Alicia (If a girl doesn't have reciprocrate the same feelings to another person then forcing them isn't the answer).

Second his sister, his most closest family he had, dies which brings him down even further and now he's trying to play a cold face.

It's okay not to cry and act tough but not at the expense of alienating everyone in your squad.

Quote:
It's like who remembers Shinji Ikari for his awesomeness (and he had few moments like that and in the end choose life with pain, which was pretty damn heroic move)? I am afraid not so many. Most remember him as a spineless emo boy... the reason is that he spend so much more time whining and running away rather than facing his problems. But at least Shinji had character depth. Anime Welkin is as shallow as one can get. Being a retard doesn't help with his character development either.
Whose Shinji?(Joking)

Quote:
Suspend me under charges of language if any, but my thoughts on why they wanted to expose Faldio a little more (because he looks like some sexy beast) come down to this and I won't be kind: anime Faldio can kiss my @$$, Faldio fangirls can also kiss my @$$ and I crap on this character who's brought to spotlight by the new writers at the expense of Welkin's character suffering most because of these fools.
Well next episode looks like they are back in action and will be fighting for Bruhl I think.

If that doesn't snap Welkin back into realtity then I don't know what will.

Quote:
The summaries everyone here gives are enough for me, so thanks to you all I don't have to bother watching it...
No one here's going to laugh at you if you watch it.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Alicia probably picked the wrong time to confess. The guy's really not stable right now.

If she had pulled a Kimi ga Nozomu Eien I think she would've gotten somewhere LOL
Old 2009-08-02, 13:14   Link #47
carmolita

OK I just watched eposode 18.. Did alicia say I love you or I like you? I so wish she'd fall in love with faldio and not welkin. I can't wait to see alicia powers and as far as the rest of the episode
Old 2009-08-02, 13:25   Link #48
kujoe
from head to heel

In Japanese, the connotation of "I like you" holds the same meaning as "I love you" depending on the context. If the context is that of a person confessing his or her feelings to another, then it's a confession of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
- a Fina cameo (or at least one of the triplets. Guess they're trying to appease the Arcadia fans)
A cameo versus a death scene of the main character from another well-loved game. Sorry, but that troll moment is just too annoying to be forgotten. The whole appeal is seeing Vyse kick butt with Aika and having Fina come in to heal them.
Old 2009-08-02, 13:30   Link #49
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Well next episode looks like they are back in action and will be fighting for Bruhl I think.

If that doesn't snap Welkin back into realtity then I don't know what will.
Spoiler for Bruhl chapter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
No one here's going to laugh at you if you watch it.
Quite on the contrary; join in the fun of pointing and laughing at the anime adaptation with us.
Old 2009-08-02, 13:33   Link #50
bran
h e a d s h o t

oh my god they really killed off Isara?
i though it was one of those cliffhangers which only seem bad
how can they do that she's the one driving the tank o_0

Farewell...and thank you.
Old 2009-08-02, 13:46   Link #51
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Spoiler for Bruhl chapter:
Spoiler:

I'll honestly say that i liked this episode. Sure it has about a ton of problems with it, though at this point in the series i'm trying my complete best to ignore them (which is impossible. ). The new pieces of music, along with the music placement was very nicely done. Touching pieces that you'd expect to hear at moments like this, so it was very fitting. As for the actually episode, i liked it upto super hero Faldio made his appearance. Sure the Welkin we're seeing here is nothing at all like the way she should be from the game, though the way he acted in this episode is just how you'd expect a Commander to act, and it worked well upto the point where Alicia confessed. Seeing these moments, and what shall happen in the next episode, i keep my fingers crossed that the show will be saved, and i can actually look forward to enjoying it each week. Of course i know i'm asking a hell of a lot here, so i'm not keeping my hopes up.

Super hero Faldio though, my god. Appearing just at the right moment yet again made me laugh so hard, especially because i seen it coming from a mile away. & then stopping the Squad 7 members with his super hero speeches, yet again showing that he can do anything. Oh the lol.

Last scene between Faldio and Welkin was just pure comedy. Plenty of below the belt digs there from Welkin.
Old 2009-08-02, 15:16   Link #52
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

l must say going from the title of the preview...welkin will finally break down and his game persona will come out...well that's what l hope...

after seeing the sub... l undestand welkin's attitude a little bit regarding lsara's death it's clear that it's eating at him, he even said so to faldio at the end...he couldn't even protect his sister... it just seems the writers overdid it though with him acting cold.

lf gamers remember correctly welkin didn't really express how hard lsara's death hit him until they took bhrul and spoke his heart out to alicia.... so that's why l'm praying that the title for next ep means welkin finally breaking...and saving whatever redeeming quality his character once had...
Old 2009-08-02, 16:14   Link #53
kalbron

Problem is, he and Alicia were already a couple at this point in the game. I suppose considering the writer's skills they could do some sort of a stupid hack job and shove them together in a grudging fashion while sobbing and crying that their "Super Awesome Faldio-sama" should have Alicia instead.

Of course, they'll probably have a scene in the aftermath showing Alicia and Welkin married for a number of years before Welkin finally looks closely at his son and sees Faldio staring back at him.
Old 2009-08-02, 17:15   Link #54
Barbobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
Finished this episode (with subs).
Simple thought: Why no one here tries to think ways otherwise?
Spoiler for my thoughts:
You sir win. This is the type of stuff I was thinking as I was watching Welkin this episode. I guess I'm one of the very few people who liked how Welkin was handled in this episode. Sure it was different from game Welkin, but they actually did anime Welkin well for once.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-02, 17:16   Link #55
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
It might go like in Gurren Lagann. Simon spent 1 episode long being a jerk and hateful after Kamina's death, and became a real man after that.

Welkin isnt exactly likeable right now, it's a shame to see how they're handling him so differently from the game. But he's the main character, he'll sort himself out eventually.
Old 2009-08-02, 17:20   Link #56
kraken

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Go look the cutscene on Youtube, if you don't have a PS3, they are all on it.

And read the manga, the story is'nt exactly as in the game, but the character are more faithful than in the anime.

My feeling is that the anime is bad only if we don't know the game. It's just really realy really diferent.

The anime is a really bad adaptation but the anime is a good anime even if it's not as good as the game.
Old 2009-08-02, 17:21   Link #57
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
Finished this episode (with subs).
Simple thought: Why no one here tries to think ways otherwise?
Spoiler for my thoughts:
I agree with this post almost 100%...come on Welkin is not that bad...I think Welkin is a pretty okay character

@kraken
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look at those cut scenes probably after the anime has ended...I see in here a lot of game players have a negative view towards the anime..their viewpoints are probably valid but I actually really enjoy this anime so far therefore I don't want to ruin the joy yet XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-02, 17:22   Link #58
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbobot View Post
You sir win. This is the type of stuff I was thinking as I was watching Welkin this episode. I guess I'm one of the very few people who liked how Welkin was handled in this episode. Sure it was different from game Welkin, but they actually did anime Welkin well for once.
It's good to see that i'm not the only one with these type of thoughts from this episode, and if more game players like myself and you are noticing this, then i see a good light at the end of the tunnel. Just hoping next episode delivers with what we want to see.

Quote:
I agree with this post almost 100%...come on Welkin is not that bad...I think Welkin is a pretty okay character
He was portrayed quite well in this episode like i've said, though that's thanks to the current situation in the story. For the past 4/5 episodes, he's just been a complete mess of a character, and nothing you'd expect from a main character at all. I'm just glad that the writers are finally doing something right with his character.
Old 2009-08-02, 17:31   Link #59
Snowman24

Finally finished watching it over again.

Spoiler for best part in Ep. 18:
Old 2009-08-02, 17:38   Link #60
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
He was portrayed quite well in this episode like i've said, though that's thanks to the current situation in the story. For the past 4/5 episodes, he's just been a complete mess of a character, and nothing you'd expect from a main character at all. I'm just glad that the writers are finally doing something right with his character.
That's true, but then again, he was messed up mainly in the Welkin/Faldio/Alicia relationship..in terms of planning and leadership, he was still pretty solid during ep 12 to 17 (even tho we only see 2 battles during that period )...And I just can't criticize someone who is loyal to his friend. Plus this is the very first time that Welkin get serious with a woman...we can expect that he will get confused somehow
Closed Thread