AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-06, 01:27   Link #121
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
My review:

Mini-story: None. Had to go with a colorspread. I'd like to see that colorspread when the pics are out.
Here you go:

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-06 at 02:44.
Old 2009-08-06, 08:28   Link #122
Rurik
Golden

^ Realy nice ............. Only dissapointed at Robins top, Oda, I hate you for that...should had included Hancock there too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
But it's so easy . Harshly critiquing Bleach is like throwing water ballons at an obese, crippled, and mentally challenged kid - there is no sport, it's only funny the first few times but gets boring quickly, and almost every toss will hit the target..
This was funny
Old 2009-08-06, 09:14   Link #123
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The pirates on page 16 are amazing.

Tarzan, robot, giant pig man, octopus (fish?) man, walrus swordsman which I wonder is a Zoan or he just looks like one.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-08-06, 09:58   Link #124
gibits
Endless

Thumbs down

I haven't been on in a while so excuse me if I'm all over the place on this post.

It has been a while since the strawhats have been scattered and yet they don't seem to be getting back together anytime soon. I'm a bit miffed about this as I really liked that crew. Now all of Luffy's efforts to save his brother are all for nothing and Oda just keeps showing us how weak Luffy is. I always considered OP to be the best written of the big three but this story arc is very dissppointing.

My gripes
1) Everyone is stronger than Luffy. Magellan easily defeats Luffy twice, and prevents him from saving Ace. We are supposed to halfway through the series and yet it seems the strawhats will never be the ultimate pirate crew.
2) Ace isn't even Luffy's real brother, which really undercuts a lot of the reason that Luffy wanted to save him in the first place.
3) WB still came so Luffy couldn't even prevent the massive war that was implied he would stop.
While seeing WB in action is a treat, I wouldve raher seen Luffy doing all the cool stuff. I guess there is still hope that Luffy will sneak in and bust his brother out from under the world gov't 's nose. Hey ID like to see him go up against Cody again! Anyway I hope his ends soon. I don't feel like I'm reading adventures of the strawhats anymore.
Old 2009-08-06, 10:28   Link #125
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibits View Post
I haven't been on in a while so excuse me if I'm all over the place on this post.

It has been a while since the strawhats have been scattered and yet they don't seem to be getting back together anytime soon. I'm a bit miffed about this as I really liked that crew. Now all of Luffy's efforts to save his brother are all for nothing and Oda just keeps showing us how weak Luffy is. I always considered OP to be the best written of the big three but this story arc is very dissppointing.
Quote:
My gripes
1) Everyone is stronger than Luffy. Magellan easily defeats Luffy twice, and prevents him from saving Ace. We are supposed to halfway through the series and yet it seems the strawhats will never be the ultimate pirate crew.
Welcome back

I think you are bit too rough for Oda but I try to soothe your gripes a bit.

When story started at East blue at begin (what is weakest of all oceans) there was massive hyping for grand line, but since we arrived to Grand Line it has not been *so* terrible as we might thought, though it still has been quite rollercoaster for Strawhats, then we were introduced second half of Grand Line the 'New World' where all big shots and One Piece is located

New World is pretty much most feared part of Grand Line and while Luffy and Strawhats have shown massive growth they are only now encountering full might of Grand Line dangers.

Luffy is NOT weak but he isnt strongest either, he has bounty of 300 million, defeated 2 shichibukais and defeated Cp9/Enel and he fearless and combat genius but he still is just a kid who is not even 20 years old with quite limited experience, IF he would beat everyone including best of WG (Kizaru, Magellan) then it wouldnt be that realistic.

Yeah you could expect shonen main heros to be winning all time and even without logic and strange powerups but there is slight realism in this one and Oda is showing that Luffy and other SH's have still much to learn.
Quote:
2) Ace isn't even Luffy's real brother, which really undercuts a lot of the reason that Luffy wanted to save him in the first place.
I think its much better and makes Luffy/Ace look even better, they both know that they dont have same parents but they grew together and they both are similar in many ways and they truely care each other, Ace always looked after Luffy and watched over him, they might not be bioligal brothers but they consider themself as brothers and live like it.

Quote:
3) WB still came so Luffy couldn't even prevent the massive war that was implied he would stop.
While seeing WB in action is a treat, I wouldve raher seen Luffy doing all the cool stuff. I guess there is still hope that Luffy will sneak in and bust his brother out from under the world gov't 's nose. Hey ID like to see him go up against Cody again! Anyway I hope his ends soon. I don't feel like I'm reading adventures of the strawhats anymore.
Luffy NEVER told he would stop the war, he didnt even know about coming war or that WB would come to rescue him, Luffy simply wants to rescue Ace's life and free him, Luffy dont really even know who WB is except that Ace is part of his crew and Ace tryed to invite SH's to WB crew but other than that Luffy believes Ace is all alone in hands of WG and unless Luffy does something Ace will die, and even if Luffy would know that Whitebeard will come to rescue I still think he would try to help.
Old 2009-08-06, 10:49   Link #126
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Oh ho ho awesome!

So many DFs!

Starters I really liking the look of Onigumo's DF, spider arms is it?

oh and haha now is it just me or does the marine next to Onigumo look like Gomez Addams?!

Also that Marine with the Mask on the right, anyone else think he has something to do with Killer from Laws crew?

aww hell really couldn't care, its all just kicking off now!

Lets get the party started!!!
Old 2009-08-06, 10:57   Link #127
Master Mold
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibits View Post

Quote:
Luffy is weak, when it comes to the top dogs.

Quote:
My gripes
Not Moria, lol but seriously Luffy is the guy who gets chased and needs his entire crew to take out a underlings of a top dog. (Kuma bot.) Oda is keeping it real, Luffy is just weak, and he keeps sticking his nose in top dog sh8t, thinking he is about to smell something good.

Quote:
Luffy grew up with Ace.....in any case if we follow that logic, it also undercuts a lot of the reason that Newgate wanted to save Ace in the first place, since Newgate is not Aces real father.

Quote:
Saving Ace wouldn't have stopped nothing.

Quote:
What could Luffy do to out shine others that would logical be with in Luffy's own power set, with out Oda mocking up other characters powers action etc like he has done in the past? IMO Keep Luffy out of this, I'm sick of Oda's Croc and Moria moments, just to make Luffy cool or get out of a jam/overcome an obstacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Luffy NEVER told he would stop the war, he didnt even know about coming war or that WB would come to rescue him, Luffy simply wants to rescue Ace's life and free him, Luffy dont really even know who WB is except that Ace is part of his crew and Ace tryed to invite SH's to WB crew but other than that Luffy believes Ace is all alone in hands of WG and unless Luffy does something Ace will die, and even if Luffy would know that Whitebeard will come to rescue I still think he would try to help.
Luffy was told a few times about Whitebeard coming to save Ace, Luffy is just a stage/glory hog.

Edit:Odas color spreads are still wack.

Last edited by Master Mold; 2009-08-06 at 11:12.
Old 2009-08-06, 13:37   Link #128
marcusJulius

I like that Oda is keeping it more realistic and making Luffy power up slower than we used to see. As it is mentioned before, it is different than most of the shounens out there. However, If you are not considering the other aspects of the story in the same manner, then there is a problem. He is not powerful, but he does not think at all before jumping into danger.

You may say that he is simple minded and does things without thinking, but I don't wanna watch a shounen where the main character you root for is beaten once or twice before pulling some stunt and win. Make the dangers grow slower as well.

What I want is either Luffy becomes more powerful than anyone and jumps whatever danger there is or he should not bite off more than he can chew.
Old 2009-08-06, 13:45   Link #129
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Luffy is only 17 years old, and what he has achieved in such a short amount of time as a Pirate is phenomenal.

Magellan, Blackbeard, Sentamaru, all these guys Luffy got owned by, they are all vastly more experienced fighters and have been around a lot longer.

Awesome chapter. I totally love that ending with Marco. I've always said Marco was gonna be a bad ass, and everyone gets to see it for themselves.
Old 2009-08-06, 13:48   Link #130
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
Luffy was told a few times about Whitebeard coming to save Ace, Luffy is just a stage/glory hog.
If Luffy was a glory hog, he would approach Whitebeard and say something like, "Stand aside old man, I've got it now." Or something equally as arrogant. Instead he's just cruising along, looking for Ace, without caring about what is going on around. Luffy's oblivious, even ignorant, but he is not a glory hog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
Edit:Odas color spreads are still wack.
What's wrong with the colour spread? I've always thought that Oda has some of the best colour spreads, with great use of colours, wonderful use of perspective (fore-, mid-, and background are always clear and clean), and a general excitement and hilarity that is highly reflective of the story and the characters.
Old 2009-08-06, 13:52   Link #131
Vree

So Garp has a Zoan DF?

If it is him on page 11 that is.

EDIT: Wait, I see that this has been adressed. Nevermind.
Old 2009-08-06, 13:56   Link #132
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muscles View Post
if mihawk fought shanks, when he had two arms, and tied with him and shanks can fight wb with some degree of equality, with one arm. and if jozu did give mihawk a run for his money it would mean that jozu is at a close lvl or equal to shanks and shanks is a yonkou. i just don't think that jozu is that strong even if he is 3rd division commander of wb
Can you tell me where it's said that Mihawk is as strong as Shanks (and by the way I don't think the fact that Shanks has now one arm make him much weaker than before) ? Anyway it's not really a problem here. Jozu is a diamond df user so in the end it's clealry the kind of ennemy that's dangerous for Mihawk.

The chap 583 is really good. totally love it Poor Aokiji And Marco and Jozu are bad ass

Well I hope it's not Garp on page 11 >_>
Old 2009-08-06, 13:59   Link #133
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

I think that there's still plenty of time left for Luffy and the Straw Hats to grow, because I don't think the series is anywhere near over. There's still the rest of this arc, which I can see taking a long time, as well as the whole New World, as well as a number of important sidestories which haven't been addressed. Because of that, I think the progress Luffy's made is right on schedule. I don't think it would be reasonable to have him as powerful as decades-long seasoned pirates even if he is a gifted and well-trained fighter.

One thing that is kind of weird, although I understand it, is that Luffy kinda went to Impel Down for no reason. True, he gained some unexpected allies along the way, like Buggy, Jinbei and Crocodile, et al., but he didn't accomplish his mission. Which is actually kinda good because then the whole war wouldn't have happened and we wouldn't have seen this big war.

Man, Whitebeard is a bad dude. Haha. He's just standing there smiling through everything, not worried in the least about anything at all. All these powerful enemies before him, and he won't lose that cocky grin. 'Aokiji, you little rascal.' That's gold to me, talking down to one of the Marines' most powerful, as though he was just a baby.

Looks like Sengoku's guarding Ace. Maybe he's the final challenge for any potential savior.... I have no doubt that he's pretty powerful.

And one last thing; a lot's been said about duels between Whitebeard's crew and big members of the Marines' army.... but in a war this chaotic in which the stage and scale is huge, do they have time and space for something as organized as a battle by duels?
Old 2009-08-06, 14:34   Link #134
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Can you tell me where it's said that Mihawk is as strong as Shanks (and by the way I don't think the fact that Shanks has now one arm make him much weaker than before) ? Anyway it's not really a problem here. Jozu is a diamond df user so in the end it's clealry the kind of ennemy that's dangerous for Mihawk.
Shanks is not weaker than he was before. The data books specifically said that he has lost no power even though he lost an arm. As for why most think Mihawk is more powerful than Shanks, that has to do with whether or not Shanks is a swordsman or not. If Shanks is a swordsman, the Mihawk, who is the "Greatest Swordsman", would be superior to him. But, if Shanks uses other weapons as well as his sword, then Shanks could be more powerful. The problem is, Shanks doesn't appear to have a DF ability (what with being able to swim and all (though he could ahve picked up a fruit in the past decade since he last saw Luffy)), so most assume that he is simply an amazing swordsman almost equal to Mihawk.
Old 2009-08-06, 15:02   Link #135
Captain Roronoa Zoro

did anyone catch wat marco's df is? and wth happened to aokiji
Old 2009-08-06, 15:04   Link #136
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Roronoa Zoro View Post
did anyone catch wat marco's df is? and wth happened to aokiji
Marco's power looks like it's something to do with Blue Flames. He blocked Kizaru's light attack with that flame engulfing his body.

Looks like Aokiji got shattered by Whitebeard. He's probably ok, since he is a logia user and all. Then again, I don't doubt that Whitebeard knows how to attack logias to make them tangible, so you never know.
Old 2009-08-06, 15:24   Link #137
Vree

It's a gas Logia. I like that guess a lot.

Actually Kizaru's ability is not all that unbeatable if you have a way to reflect it, is it? It has probably a lot of utilities (speed, mostly) but in a head-on attack a lot of DFs can render it useless IMO.

But! That gives me the idea of a possible Blackbeard/Kizaru clash. Black holes as you probably know are created when not even light can escape from a gravitational field, but that is pretty much the last thing to succumb to it. So maybe Ki-mac would have a greater chance than any other Logia against BB, Ace included.
Old 2009-08-06, 15:30   Link #138
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'd go with Marco's DF being some sorta gas logia.

On Kizaru's DF, big spanking mirrior could do the trick
Old 2009-08-06, 15:31   Link #139
Tommy
Mr. Prince

The only thing Luffy needs to do in this war is beat Smoker, then I will be happy.

As for the whole Mihawk ordeal, he does need to defeat Jose, I don't really care how it happens though, a short or long battle would be fine with me. Then he needs to face whitebeard, and do what he intended to do in the first place, measure himself against the strongest man in the world.
Old 2009-08-06, 15:31   Link #140
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vree View Post
It's a gas Logia. I like that guess a lot.

Actually Kizaru's ability is not all that unbeatable if you have a way to reflect it, is it? It has probably a lot of utilities (speed, mostly) but in a head-on attack a lot of DFs can render it useless IMO.

But! That gives me the idea of a possible Blackbeard/Kizaru clash. Black holes as you probably know are created when not even light can escape from a gravitational field, but that is pretty much the last thing to succumb to it. So maybe Ki-mac would have a greater chance than any other Logia against BB, Ace included.
We do not know that it is a Gas Logia. The more u look at it, the more it appears as those are 2 wings of Fire comin from Marco, which would lead 1 to speculate that it could be a Phoenix zoan ability which would be awesome. But at the moment, just mere speculation. We'll probably know once we see more of Marco in action.
Closed Thread