AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-25, 05:02   Link #961
deadite

I disagree, The ending of episode 2 made me think hilarity ensues. I never feared for Ohana's life or chastity.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 05:04   Link #962
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I disagree, The ending of episode 2 made me think hilarity ensues. I never feared for Ohana's life or chastity.
That's what I thought aswell, what with the silly music and all.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 05:07   Link #963
deadite

Also a small tidbit in episode 2, you see Minko write on her notebook which we find out in the next episode was t "Hobiron"
Old 2011-04-25, 05:47   Link #964
Bordix

Definitely better than last week's episode

I like how Tohru basically trolled Ohana the entire episode even when he's not there. Ohana is this strong-willed and headstrong character, yet a single remark from Tohru can bother her to this extent. Hilarious

I personally think Tohru isn't looking for romance. He just gives me the impression his current priority is mastering his craft. I don't even think he sees the girls around her as potential love interest given how he treats them like kids (well at least for Ohana). So not even gonna believe he's going out with Yuina, unless the next episode proves me otherwise.

Preview: The head chef mentions he's not coming to work

aw hell no. I hope he doesn't switch Inns
Old 2011-04-25, 05:52   Link #965
deadite

Can't wait for Jinomaru writing a masterpiece about his experiences in the inn which becomes big publicity for their little establishment.
Old 2011-04-25, 05:56   Link #966
Tiberium Wolf

Funny. Just noticed now. They added Jiroumaru in OP in the part where Ohana grandmother and Tomoe comes out from the sliding doors.
Old 2011-04-25, 06:56   Link #967
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Episode 2 ended on a dramatic note, but episode 3 went from this dramatic note to pure absurdity. If the transition to more light hearted and silly episodes was more gradual and natural, I wouldn't mind. But the fact is that they've introduced more than a few points of drama that we're supposed to take seriously and while they haven't been eliminated from the picture necessarily, they just aren't presented with the same weight as episodes 1 and 2 due to the changes in atmosphere.
Are you refering to Jiromaru spotting Ohana when you talking about the episode ending on a dramatic note? I'd be lying if I said I saw the bondage and all the absurd situations of episode 3 coming (who could have ever seen that coming? ), but I never thought for a second something bad/dramatic was going to happen. That scene was quite comical: the sound effect when Ohana picks up the paper, the novel's story, her reaction, etc... therefore it's natural it led to more comedy.

I think the series is just as touching even after the change of atmosphere , which from my standpoint was minimal -with expection of episode 3 of course-, episode 4 had the same feel as the other episodes. The scene at the shrine is a good example.
Old 2011-04-25, 07:03   Link #968
deadite

I get Doki subs. Are there better subbers?
Old 2011-04-25, 07:11   Link #969
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Are you refering to Jiromaru spotting Ohana when you talking about the episode ending on a dramatic note? I'd be lying if I said I saw the bondage and all the absurd situations of episode 3 coming (who could have ever seen that coming? ), but I never thought for a second something bad/dramatic was going to happen. That scene was quite comical: the sound effect when Ohana picks up the paper, the novel's story, her reaction, etc... therefore it's natural it led to more comedy.
Hmm. My mistake, but by ending I was referring more to the scene where Ohana stood up to Minko and Nako. It was just overall an odd transition for me that's been hard to swallow.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 07:52   Link #970
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I thought this episode was great aswell. A lot of people still don't like the shift but I honestly didn't think it was much of a shift to begin with. I always figured things would get better for Ohana quickly and more lighthearted and I honestly like it this way aswell. All the characters seem so realistic and empathetic and the comedy works. Loved it. I was smiling and sqeeing all throughout.
Yeah, I also don't think the show changed all that much between the first two episodes and the last two. Things did get more on the not-so-serious side of things, but I still think the essence of the show remains unchanged.

Or to put it differently.....

It is because of Ohana being the main character that I never expected this to be that serious to begin with.
Old 2011-04-25, 09:51   Link #971
Irisiel

Oh dear, working for a hot springs inn seems to be more hazardous than I thought; Ohana has been abducted, forced into bondage, enjoyed verbal abuse, physical abuse, as well as strangulation, and her trainee period isn't even over yet!

If it turns out that Minko started working because of Tooru, then she is most definitely my most disliked character in this entire story so far (slot currently occupied by Tarou). Seriously, we're supposed to excuse her behaviour because she's cute?

I don't think that Ohana is in love with Kou, I think that she likes him a lot, but as a friend, and that she'll maybe decide to date him because people in their situation are supposed to become a couple or something (or because she thinks it sounds like a good idea). I think that's when her obliviousness/inability to read the atmosphere blows up in her face big time, because she actually cares about hurting Kou more than she cares about people she barely knows.

I also have a suspicion that Tooru might develop a small crush on Ohana. Though I don't know if he would act on it.
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 10:18   Link #972
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post

I also have a suspicion that Tooru might develop a small crush on Ohana. Though I don't know if he would act on it.
You mean that "What if just follow my mom flirting with men" then lo and behold Touru?

Now that she knows Minko likes him she wont flirt with him. Sisters before gigolos.

Though Ohana would start wondering "What the hell do they see in that guy?".

When Ohana said "Die" to him Touru did get distracted driving. Which immediately resulted to almost an accident and Ohana realizing she shouldn't say such.

For now Ohana is just absolutely Tsun for Touru because she just finds him annoying with pushing her buttons. No Dere to speak of.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 11:40   Link #973
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i hope Ko transfers there. i think that would change the dynamic of the show quite a bit. though it would be out of the blue...

also: term of the week: internal censorship

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 11:44   Link #974
Kragma

Send a message via ICQ to Kragma Send a message via AIM to Kragma
I really like this OP.

Old 2011-04-25, 11:46   Link #975
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
But even you have to admit, these last two episodes don't seem like they come from the same anime we see in the first two episodes. It's like they switched out Mari-san for the author of Nichijou. Sure, Ohana and company are all in the same inn, but it's a total flip-flop where styles are concerned.
I admit no such thing. While 3 was an aberration - and that's putting it kindly - I thought 4 was totally consistent in style with the first two episodes. First of all, there was comedy in the first two eps and there was drama in the last one. Second, the presence of comedy does preclude a series being dramatic - and vice-versa. There were hilarious moments in True Tears but I haven't heard anyone ripping it for being a mindless comedy.

When I started this series I thought it was going to be about Ohana's search for herself, and how that conflicted with her sincere love for Ko and yes, even her mother. I thought it was going to be about her adjustment to life in a small resort town, and the impact she would have on the people there. I thought it would be about how she, her mother and grandmother would all come to understand each other through Ohana's interaction with Grandma. I saw nothing in episode 4 that made me think otherwise. Ohana's interactions with her HS colleagues are being treated as some sort of sign of the apocalypse, but her school life is part of life. This series is about her whole experience and I have no issues with her school struggles being a part of the depiction of that.

We have two cours to work with here. It's too early to make final decisions about everything that's going to happen. That's plenty of time to tell a complete, balanced story that has many different facets. I don't consider that a negative - I think it's great.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 12:06   Link #976
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
...If it turns out that Minko started working because of Tooru, then she is most definitely my most disliked character in this entire story so far (slot currently occupied by Tarou). Seriously, we're supposed to excuse her behaviour because she's cute?

I don't think that Ohana is in love with Kou, I think that she likes him a lot, but as a friend, and that she'll maybe decide to date him because people in their situation are supposed to become a couple or something (or because she thinks it sounds like a good idea)....
I agree about Ohana. Good points. As for Minko, I forgive her (so far) not because of her looks but because she is so unhappy and insecure. Maybe it's just because of Tarou, and maybe there's more to it. I prefer to think that she only started liking Tarou after she got to work with him. We shall see.

And I agree with just about everything Guardian_Enzo just posted.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-04-25 at 12:40.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 12:09   Link #977
taichi-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
No..look at their official website.What outfoxzero said is true..Ohana is 16 and minko is 17
really? but they are in the same class... I thought they both have 16

Tooru 23??

Poor minko, I really want a minkoxtooru at the end
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 12:11   Link #978
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Remember that Japanese school year starts on April, so it isn't strange to have that kind of age disparity within the same grade.
Old 2011-04-25, 12:18   Link #979
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i hope Ko transfers there. i think that would change the dynamic of the show quite a bit. though it would be out of the blue...

also: term of the week: internal censorship
Why? It's easier for him just to get a real girlfriend. More so now that Ohana isn't hanging around him.
Old 2011-04-25, 12:29   Link #980
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Episode 4 freebies.

As for Ohana's MVF (Most Valuable Face) of the week, it's a no contest. Day or Night, that's Ohana for you.

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life