AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-08-28, 22:00   Link #1
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series by Marvel (and Whedon) at ABC

I thought I might share this news. Here’s the article.

Joss Whedon had signed a contract with Marvel to help developing this series.

So, for those who are well-versed in Marvel comics, what do you think this S.H.I.E.L.D TV series will contain? More SHIELD agents' daily routines? Do you think it will feature (minor) superheroes & supervillains from Marvel universe?

We might as well post some updates of the series development here.

I really hope that this will be tied with the upcoming Marvel movies, unlike Smallville which eventually create a universe of it’s own.
Old 2012-08-29, 00:51   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Whoa, wait a minute, is Samuel Jackson reprising his role as Nick Fury?
If so, this would be his first TV series as a regular ever.
AFAIK, he's never done syndicated series, only been guest appearances in some like Boondocks.
Old 2012-08-29, 01:20   Link #3
james0246

Don't we already have this show? Isn't it called Fringe? While the idea is interesting, and getting Joss Whedon back on television sounds great, the end result for this type of show would undoubtedly be a police procedural of some sort (of which there are already too many), only with the occasional mention of some minor named villains and heroes. I don't know if that is enough to keep the geeks involved or draw in the average viewer.

That being said, A.I.M. and HYDRA would undoubtedly be the main villains of the series.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 02:25   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

If Whedon gonna make S.H.I.E.L.D as a Marvel movies tie-in:

For a TV series to be a side-story to the upcoming Marvel movies, it will be very interesting and will draw a lot of audience considering how well-known The Avengers nowadays. It will help building the anticipation for Avengers 2. Given the contracts of The Avengers’ cast, they might make a cameo for 1 or 2 episodes (moar Black Widow please!). Also, who knows, they might be able to include some origin stories of some lesser-known (and less “glamorous”) Marvel villains. There’s a number of them, I assume.
Old 2012-08-29, 06:54   Link #5
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I can see this being something along the lines of the one-shot stories Marvel does for the MCU movies, like the following:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Which reminds me, they need to make COULSON, AGENT OF SHIELD a major character for this series.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 10:24   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Some (late) updates:

Marvel’s ‘SHIELD’ TV Show To Feature New Characters

Whedon is interested in making this series due to how "underdog" S.H.I.E.L.D. agents are compared to our superhero/supervillain friends.
Old 2012-09-16, 15:59   Link #7
james0246

I still have some trepidation for this title. While I enjoy the idea of such a series (and sincerely hope it will be a Marvel equivalent of DC's Gotham Central), I can't help but feel they are creating Fodder: The Series. Still, it will be interesting to see just what storylines can be created; who the characters, new and/or old, will be; and how this all ties in to the movies.
Old 2012-09-16, 16:59   Link #8
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I still have some trepidation for this title. While I enjoy the idea of such a series (and sincerely hope it will be a Marvel equivalent of DC's Gotham Central), I can't help but feel they are creating Fodder: The Series. Still, it will be interesting to see just what storylines can be created; who the characters, new and/or old, will be; and how this all ties in to the movies.
This reminded me. In the old days of superhero comics, Superheroes fight normal criminals. Bank Robbers, kidnappers, and all sort of other small time villains that these days don't even get a name.

Now of course, they are busy averting catastrophe, usually against supervillains. You really don't want to send Ironman to sort out a home invasion case. So Shield can be the sort of the middle-ground team; taking care of what cops can't handle, so that Supers can concentrate on more important things.
Old 2012-09-17, 08:25   Link #9
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This reminded me. In the old days of superhero comics, Superheroes fight normal criminals. Bank Robbers, kidnappers, and all sort of other small time villains that these days don't even get a name.

Now of course, they are busy averting catastrophe, usually against supervillains. You really don't want to send Ironman to sort out a home invasion case. So Shield can be the sort of the middle-ground team; taking care of what cops can't handle, so that Supers can concentrate on more important things.
There's plenty of street-active superheroes that do that though.

While FF, Thor and Ironman are fighting Skrull invasions and Ultron's cyber-takeovers,
Daredevil, Spider-man, Luke Cage, and others are catching petty criminals in New York.

Focus of SHIELD is homeland security, be it superpowered beings or foreign espionage and international criminal organizations.
NOT policing of local criminals.

SHIELD is more-or-less an uber-powerful combination of DHS and CIA. Not FBI.
Old 2012-10-02, 04:33   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Another news about S.H.I.E.L.D.'s main characters here.

List of MCs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingsoon.net
SKYE: This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD: Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE: Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS: These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.
Old 2012-10-15, 01:17   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Clark Gregg will reprise his role as Agent Coulson in the series' pilot episode. Link is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingsoon.net
At today’s Marvel Television Presents panel at New York Comic Con, Head of TV Jeph Loeb announced that Clark Gregg will reprise his role as Agent Phil Coulson in the live-action pilot "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D."! Gregg previously played Coulson in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Marvel's The Avengers, as well as Marvel One-Shots "The Consultant" and "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer."

The actor made a surprise appearance at the panel to talk about his role as Principal Coulson on "Ultimate Spider-Man" before playing a special video from Marvel’s The Avengers director Joss Whedon and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, announcing Gregg's return to the role of Agent Coulson in the upcoming pilot. Whedon will also co-write the pilot to "Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D." with Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.
Old 2012-10-25, 06:35   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Another update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadline
Deadline is reporting that ER veteran Ming-Na Wen has joined the pilot for the upcoming TV series "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.". Wen will play Agent Melinda May who is described as "soulful and slightly damaged by her combat experiences, Melinda is an ace pilot, a weapons expert and a soldier who can — and has — gone beyond the call of duty." This character was named Althea Rice in the list of alleged characters for the series, where her nickname was 'The Calvary'.

Wen joins actor Clark Gregg who will be reprising his role as Agent Phil Coulson in the upcoming TV series.
If I’m not mistaken, Ming-Na Wen is the Chun-Li in the 90s Street Fighter movie. Hmm... this makes me curious.
Old 2012-10-25, 06:53   Link #13
ReddyRedWolf

Besides potential enemies like AIM or the Ten Rings I can see Mr. Blue aka The Leader as an enemy if it is post Avengers. Since there is no planned Hulk movie.

Among the stuff under the basement classified under Phase II was the Destroyer and Leader in Fury's Big Week. Where IM 2, Thor and I. Hulk occurred in a span of a week.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 08:45   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Another news about S.H.I.E.L.D.'s main characters here.

List of MCs:
Lets just say the character synopses make me twitch a bit ... not in a good way. But they're just soundbite bullshit - we'll just have to see how they are actually implemented.
Old 2012-10-25, 11:37   Link #15
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Street Level Superheroes, eh?

Where the heck is my The Punisher series, darn it!!
Old 2012-10-25, 13:13   Link #16
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Street Level Superheroes, eh?

Where the heck is my The Punisher series, darn it!!
That series would get watered down...then again if Jack Bauer can kill and torture somewhat indiscriminately for 5 or so seasons why not Frank Castle ?

That being said, why couldn't the Punisher and a slew of other lower ranking heroes appear in this series? I could see this series as a great staging ground for a slew of Marvel movies. Specifically, use the series to establish the backstory and introduction, then the film could just focus on the character and whichever story arc Marvel wishes to produce. This would be a great way to relaunch Daredevil or even the Fantastic Four and introduce heroes like Luke Cage and Iron Fist as well as the mutants (who have been missing from the current version of the Marvel Filmverse).
Old 2013-02-09, 05:08   Link #17
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Some pictures courtesy of Maurissa Tancharoen, writer and executive producer of S.H.I.E.L.D., via Tweeter.

S.H.I.E.L.D. warning sign

S.H.I.E.L.D. Humvee

Old 2013-02-09, 05:42   Link #18
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The fact is as the Mavel movies kept going, the daily lives of the normal peoples around the world changes after each crisis. This TV series would be a good way to portray how their lives is different to our own.
Old 2013-02-12, 22:50   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

It's A Wrap!

The shooting of S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot Episode by Joss Whedon finally done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comngsoon.net
Source: Maurissa Tancharoen

Filming on the "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D." pilot began on January 22 and writer/executive producer Maurissa Tancharoen revealed last night that shooting has officially wrapped. Pictured below with Tancharoen is her husband Jed Whedon, his brother Joss (you may know him), and executive producers Jeph Loeb and Jeffrey Bell. "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D." will now move to the post-production stage and could be officially picked up for series.

The pilot episode is expected to air this fall if picked up. The cast includes Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na We as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz, Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Gemma Simmons, and Chloe Bennet as Skye.

Joss Whedon directed the pilot and co-wrote it with Tancharoen and his brother Jed Whedon. It has been confirmed that the series will take place after the events of Marvel's The Avengers.
Now we'll see whether S.H.I.E.L.D. will become a long-live TV series or get cancelled .

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-02-12 at 23:06.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 07:39   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Change of title from Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. into Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC
ABC has announced that their upcoming small screen foray in Marvel's cinematic universe has a new title. Formerly known as "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.," the new series will now be called "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." The newly-released synopsis for the show reads as follows:

Joss Whedon shows us not all heroes are super with "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."
Also, a new synopsis:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC
Fresh from his role in the summer’s box office smash, Marvel's The Avengers, Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) returns to the worldwide law enforcement organization S.H.I.E.L.D. He puts together a small, highly trained, team of Agents to tackle the cases that haven’t been classified yet, the new, the strange and the unknown. That team consists of straight arrow Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), an expert in combat and espionage; pilot and martial artist Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen); and brilliant if socially awkward scientists Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge). They’ll be joined by civilian new recruit and computer hacker Skye (Chloe Bennet).

Prepare for an epic adventure that showcases the hope and wonder of the human spirit. This is a world of Super Heroes, aliens and the unusual – of action, spectacle and world spanning stories. The show will speak to the human condition through the lens of our very human, non-powered S.H.I.E.L.D agents – that together we are greater than we are apart, and that we can make a difference in the world.

Executive Produced and co-written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen ("Dollhouse," "Dr.Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog"), Jeffrey Bell ("Angel," "Alias") and Jeph Loeb ("Smallville," "Lost," "Heroes") comes Marvel’s first live-action TV series, "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Tags
marvel cinematic universe