AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-20, 10:04   Link #281
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That was the point at which I gave up on the manga actually. I already have enough japanese language manga on my plate (I'm not *that* good at the language, constantly looking stuff up) and being frustrated at the story for going in non-tightening circles was just a bit much.
The art is quite cute and I can't give it a *bad* review ... it just stopped being fun for me.
Old 2007-04-20, 12:53   Link #282
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...The art is quite cute and I can't give it a *bad* review ... it just stopped being fun for me.
That's exactly why I asked if Hanamizawa Q-Taro has done any stories that at least don't involve endlessly repeating events that serve no purpose except to leave the male lead frustrated and/or humiliated. I mean, how many ways can this guy come up with for two people to try to make love and end up crashing and burning? The art's great, so I don't really want to just drop his series if there's any potential for improvement, but he's bound to run out of ideas eventually.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 14:15   Link #283
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
The other major work I know of is Momoiro Sango, which focuses alot on the main character's renters(three sisters) finding new and creative ways to torture him with sexual frustration. I'm wondering, do any of this guy's works either have little to no sexual content or at least not involve constantly unfulfilled desire?
I feel that is more a part of the running gag that he has for Momoiro Sango, rather than the main point of the series. Character development doesn't happen often per volume, but when it does it's really nice, and pushes the user to keep on going.
Old 2007-05-06, 12:02   Link #284
Seiryuu

I'd like to recant my statements about Q-taro's Momoiro Sango after reading a few more volumes raw. Not only does the fellow wind up with at least some relief if not a stable relationship, he simply doesn't deserve to mourn the fact that he has no girlfriend, not just because the girls who use him as a toy quickly start carrying their games all the way through, but because he's not really unpopular. A guy might feel nonplussed receiving store-bought chocolates from a junior in college, but when the girl had made chocolates and then...
Spoiler:

I've found some of his other works too, and I must admit the more I read the more astonished I am that anything he made ever became a TV series. But that's enough I got this way off topic.
Old 2007-05-06, 13:55   Link #285
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I liked this series so much I am actually planning to follow the manga and possibly catch up with the storyline : )
Old 2007-05-06, 14:37   Link #286
TigerII
Pilot in Training

It gets kinda stale. They split up, get together, split up, get together..etc.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 18:26   Link #287
Seiryuu

You must have read farther than I have(though that's not saying much I've only read 4 volumes). As far as I am, they haven't split up once. They just have various problems, have to occasionally be away from one another for professional reasons, but they're still always "together". Does this happen later?
Old 2007-05-06, 18:55   Link #288
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Old 2007-05-07, 02:05   Link #289
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2007-05-07, 12:16   Link #290
Hunter Nin.

I just watched REC up to episode 7 and thought it was fantastic but episode 7 seems like a logical end point to the series (being so nice warm and fuzzy and all), it's disappointing to hear that the manga keeps going in circles. I'm going to watch the other episodes later but I don't know if I could read the manga.
Hunter Nin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 13:14   Link #291
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Spoiler for manga:

I agree I like the reality in it, does not mean it doesn't get stale. I wonder if they will finally settle down though in the end.
Old 2007-05-07, 14:08   Link #292
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It portrays a typical relationship, especially if one is a promoter and another is a seiyuu.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 14:35   Link #293
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Well, it possibly would have been more realistic if:

Spoiler:

The anime really took some of the aspects of the story that seemed like it was going in
circles in the manga and straightens it out a bit.

But, I've seen relationships like this in real life with friends:
Spoiler:

So maybe it's more realistic than I suppose.
Old 2007-05-07, 22:12   Link #294
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2007-05-08, 00:49   Link #295
Seiryuu

Man, this is starting to get me more interested than i've been for awhile. I'm really curious now that I know there's going to be a temporary falling-out, first whether Aka will ever have her second time beforehand(in the manga she reveals that the drunken escapade that started this was her first time), second who she's going to hook up with, and most important what causes the breakup.
I must admit Qtaro seems to have improved his work. I finally managed to find some of his old works and they're often much more traumatic, more sexual, and often somewhat loli. It took me quite awhile to figure out what was happening in but I finally figured one out, a story called "Suika to Umi to Taiyou to"
Spoiler for Q-taro's old work:

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2007-05-22 at 11:28.
Old 2007-05-08, 01:25   Link #296
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Spoiler for Q-taro's old work:
Thanx for posting that story it was an intresting read . The story sounded pretty nice and the complicated romance, add to it . Hanamizawa Q-Taro is one of those writers, when you read his works the raw emotions literally chew your heart out like a Bubble Gum and then spit it out .
Old 2007-05-08, 13:47   Link #297
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Does anyone have a "manga-ography" of his works and the dates they
came out? Was any of this ever translated into english at all?

As frustrating as some of the plots can be I find them compelling...
Old 2007-05-09, 01:18   Link #298
Seiryuu

I don't know of any place that lists them out, but I got several in a batch torrent a while ago. As far as I know only Momoiro Sango and REC have been translated. I'm trying to figure out what's going on in each but my kanji skills aren't exactly brilliant. Also, yes the stories are compelling but some are even worse than the one I mentioned(Suika to Umi to Taiyou to). Some are fun, for stories that have so much sex and sex-based jokes, but some of them...
The worst I can think of is Tsukike no Ichizoku.
Spoiler:

BTW, I think I saw a post on another page saying that REC was a lifetime sort of thing, with get-togethers and break-ups, followed by marriage divorce and remarriage, etc. Does anyone know whether this is taken from a credible source or merely speculation? So far as I've seen and heard, it doesn't seem like things are set to go quite that far. Also, I think I should apologize. I hadn't intended to discuss Q-taro's other manga so much, just a brief comparative look. I think some of the stuff I posted would honestly be more suited to the manga section.
BTW, I think I know why I prefer REC to Q-taro's older work. In his older work, he made relationships so temporary that it seems to cheapen love. He even says at at least one point that relationships can't last forever(or for a lifetime), so it's important to enjoy it while it does last. Frankly that's bull so potent it would kill the crops. If people got married thinking they'd fall out of love, they'd might as well invite their divorce lawyers to the wedding ceremony.
In REC, from what I've seen and what seems to be coming up judging from comments, he seems to finally recognize that simply because feelings for one another are always changing doesn't mean that they ever have to fade, that there is no upper limit to love. Things can get bad, the road can have potholes, but there is always hope that you can make it to the end, and even at ninety, each time you look at her you're falling in love for the first time again. That's the impression I get from REC and wish I did from more of the author's works.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2007-05-10 at 21:27.
Old 2007-05-11, 17:33   Link #299
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Does anyone have a "manga-ography" of his works and the dates they
came out? Was any of this ever translated into english at all?

As frustrating as some of the plots can be I find them compelling...
I don't know of one, and I didn't see any threads that named the works, so I placed a thread in the Manga forum to list, summarize, and discuss his works. Yes his works are compelling, even if they are sometimes frightening. I just wish I knew how to use some of the forum formatting commands so I could make a clearer warning, since the works in question ARE, after all, of an adult nature.
Old 2007-05-22, 10:31   Link #300
mdauben

Thumbs up

I just finished watching the anime REC the other day.

In the couple of other examples of this "short-episode" format I have seen, I usually felt that the short episode length hurt the flow of the story, tending to chop it up too much. For some reason, though, the episodes of REC seemed longer, and I never got the feeling that the story was being rushed to fit the format. In the end, I wished the anime was longer, but only because I liked the characters and would have enjoyed seeing more of them. The story itself was complete and the pacing was good and everything wrapped up nicely in the end.

After a seemingly endless stream of teen romances, it was nice to watch one that revolved around actual adults, too. The whole releationship between Matsumaru and Aka had a very real "feel" too it. Not the typical overly melodramatic stuff you see in so many other anime. The fights seemed like real fights, the reconciliations felt like real reconciliations, the emotions like real emotions. All just like real people (as opposed to anime characters) act.

I see that the manga for REC us up to nine volumes and (I think?) still running. Obviously there is a lot more to the story of Matsumaru and Aka in there. It seems to be getting some mixed reviews here in this thread, but I'm still going to at least give them a try, if only becuase I liked the anime so much..

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-05-22 at 10:52.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen