AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 68 56.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 28.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 10.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-16, 23:05   Link #61
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr429 View Post
just to get this out of my head
does anyone know if this is gonna end like the movie or is it going to have a new ending.
You will justhave to wait to find out 0_0 ..... I will just say yes and you can pick which one I said it to >.>

I wasn't expecting a wedding scene but when they did have that image on yahoo auctions I was like 0_0...what was that anyway? Were they movie sketches? Would have made sense...
Old 2009-01-16, 23:09   Link #62
Beo
where's the snow?

It will have the correct ending; think there is a couple of them that are possible though. Now you will have to wait to find out what it is.
Old 2009-01-17, 01:00   Link #63
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Boy guys, they got pretty wild on their wedding night. Not only did they sleep in adjacent beds, they even held hands! Whoa you kids, take it down a notch!
Lol I thought the same thing. Holding hands was THE thing for them then at the end of the episode Nagisa is pregnant? LOL what a change in their relationship. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Old 2009-01-17, 01:07   Link #64
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Heh. Neck scratching. Heh.

This is probably the first episode where the "Nagisa" theme song way played dominantly and to completion. Absolutely fantastically beautiful...

But on to serious matters...

----------------

I forget where I heard it from, but the origin of the word "marriage" is said to be that of "to gamble", that is to say that marrying someone is to gamble and bet on them. Having never been married, heck I don't have a girlfriend, I never really understood why it is comparable to gambling that one marries someone. But I think, as I watch this show and play the VN maybe I'll understand what it means.

"This is my home now."

It honestly never really hit me that these two are married, share a home and a life until Nagisa said this. She wants a job to help out, and yey she'll still take care of the apartment. Because this tiny, one room flat with low rent and slow-heating water is still a home.

Their home.

The distance between their futons that night is strictly a physical one, nothing more and nothing less. Their hands can easily bridge the gap, as it is nothing more than a custom of single occupancy. The gap is bridged both by hands and by words, and even by the silence, something very few people can understand.

Something greater connects them together, something no matter of physical affection can ever bridge.

The scenes that did it for me in this episodes were so quaint, mundane and everyday that if it were any other show, I'd have been bored to tears. Instead I was awwed to tears. Maybe it was because of Nagisa's theme being played, or maybe because seeing two people so meant for each other and so deserving of their hopes for happiness that I found myself also joyful, teareyed and simply awestruck. Man struggles in their pursuit of happiness, and even though these two human beings have just left the starting line of their new lives, even though full aware of the wild card life could always deal them, they continue with a smile.

Tomoya helps with the cooking. Nagisa sets the futon. Tomoya hangs a towel around his neck as they chat over dinner.

Above all that, however, is when they meet along that side road. Tomoya is dirty from work. Nagisa is coming home from job hunting which probably didn't go well. And yet on that road, to the backdrop of the setting sun, they smile at each other and walk home together.

This is real life folks, and it is nothing short of poignant.

"You can make a wish if you hold this light."

Good lord the foreshadowing. This is pretty much it. Game vets knew what the lights were even before this scene, but for everyone else pay attention to the lights and to what Tomoya had said about them. This is the magical aspect of the series and perhaps the critical component of this tale.

"A baby..."

I want to do a Beavis laugh but I won't heh. One can see just how straightforward and courageous she has become over the time we have seen her grow. Even in her work as a waitress, how she is able to bear herself despite all the dickheaded customers that hit on her and all the staring she gets, she manages to do so strongly and deal with her situation. A lesser anime lead would probably just go with it, but she can't, and she won't. The manager even mentions to Tomoya just how much she's a wise and hard worker despite her inexperience and tendency to be negative. Nothing showcases just how much she has grown and matured than this.

"Everything will change."

Tomoya can only recall the memories of the days spent in those schools. It's been years since then, but he recalls vividly and fondly, as if they were yesterday. These are memories of the time in he life when he finally encountered what it means to live and to be happy. Naturally he would be angry, sad and emotional. Again we see just how much of an anger issue he still needs to deal, and how much personal sadness he bears.

And once again, Nagisa is there to help and guide. Again she speaks to him calmly, as all couples should, to discuss their feelings and emotions in open conversation.

That is one of the pillars of marriage, isn't it?

"We slept together..." / "I knocked your daughter up!"

Okay the second one wasn't said.

But this is it. Confirmation that the central event of not only After Story but of the entire Clannad series has begun. She's pregnant. A new life is about to begin.

It all begins, again, when a child is born.

----------------

We have 2 more episodes or more before the child is born. Well most of us already know the name they'll give.

But I guess what makes me and nervous is what will actually transpire once the child is born. The game had 2 outcomes, and only one can really happen.

Which one we won't know until the episode itslef, but game veterans pretty much have an idea which way KyotoAni will go. As such I think we've steeled up our tear glands just in case.
Old 2009-01-17, 01:55   Link #65
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Holy shit the pacing of this show is getting worse and worse.

Seriously, how am I supposed to sit there and accept the fact that she's going to have a baby, let alone that they SLEPT TOGETHER when all we're shown is them literally being nervous by holding hands and sleeping in completely separate 'beds from one another? They even devoted a minute or two to Tomoya fidgeting in the living room because she was taking a shower and now I've got accept the notion that they've done the dirty deed already? You've got to be shitting me. Did they even go out on a damn date yet at this point? I don't even remember.

I'm not complaining about them having a baby, in fact I'm all for it, but we've literally been given SHIT to lead up to it, absolute SHIT. It was literally just thrown into the last two minutes of the episode:

"OH HAY BY THE WAY DAD, I HAS A BABY"

~*yAy*~

What a giant, heaping pile of untapped romantic potential, it's a fucking tragedy. At one point I had to rewatch a scene over just to make sure I hadn't actually skipped ahead in the episode, but nope, chalk that up to the 'pacing' we're being force fed at this point.

Ugh.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!

Last edited by Master Chibi; 2009-01-17 at 02:28.
Old 2009-01-17, 02:20   Link #66
TenkenXD
The Terror of Death

Lol, I love all the positive comments that lead up to Master Chibi's post.

Though I'll have to agree to a certain extent that there was perhaps a bit too much implied content such as a kiss let alone their private night together.

However, I still really love this show. True, it lacks a bit of intimacy but the comedy is definitely top notch and haha, Nagisa really has grown up to be a cutie. This episode was a little fast, i watched it twice to get the full effect of every scene. (especially the restaurant scene)

Bottom line, episode was great (nothing's perfect right?)

10/10 for me

11/12/08: Bought Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World at 6:18 P.M.
11/14/08: Finished Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World at 2:21 P.M.

Anything else...?
Old 2009-01-17, 02:30   Link #67
Master Chibi

Hey, I have no problem admitting stuff at this point.

- Nagisa with her hair up is very pretty.

- The two of them actually LOOK grown up / like they've aged just a bit, I like that.

- She also looks pretty cute in the waitress outfit (though her friends are hotter~).

- Coming out and saying she boinked Tomoya had me rolling. lol

It still doesn't excuse the pacing / implication of much anything.

;p

Old 2009-01-17, 02:46   Link #68
TenkenXD
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Hey, I have no problem admitting stuff at this point.

- Nagisa with her hair up is very pretty.

- The two of them actually LOOK grown up / like they've aged just a bit, I like that.

- She also looks pretty cute in the waitress outfit (though her friends are hotter~).

- Coming out and saying she boinked Tomoya had me rolling. lol

It still doesn't excuse the pacing / implication of much anything.

;p
I totally agree with every single one of those points.

11/12/08: Bought Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World at 6:18 P.M.
11/14/08: Finished Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World at 2:21 P.M.

Anything else...?
Old 2009-01-17, 02:48   Link #69
Ottocycle

Quote:
Seriously, how am I supposed to sit there and accept the fact that she's going to have a baby, let alone that they SLEPT TOGETHER when all we're shown is them literally being nervous by holding hands and sleeping in completely separate 'beds from one another? They even devoted a minute or two to Tomoya fidgeting in the living room because she was taking a shower and now I've got accept the notion that they've done the dirty deed already? You've got to be shitting me. Did they even go out on a damn date yet at this point? I don't even remember.
Cultural differences. Again. Nervousness in holding hands was shown in IIRC the special episode of the first season, so that's a long while ago. As for the beds, I can understand from a Western perspective why you're ranting, but this is a Japanese show, where two people of the opposite gender sleeping in the same room without at the very, very least a symbolic wall in between is not a good thing. And even that isn't resorted to without a desperate situation, come to think of it.

As for the pacing, I guess it's a little hard to put stuff together like that in an episode one significant event after another without off-putting some people. I think it's because of the short time and the little emphasis spent on these momentous events, and the unsaid notion that their daily routine takes over in between. But oh well, I get used to stuff easily.

And finally they did go on a date. See the episode 22 of S1.
Old 2009-01-17, 03:11   Link #70
Master Chibi

Cultural differences has no part in what I'm addressing here.

You don't go from barely being able to holding each others hands and being fidgety when she's taking a bath and you're sitting cross legged in the living to HAVING A DAMN BABY. There's too much ground missing between those two intervals for me to just happily accept it (or in your case, just get used to it, which of course doesn't really pardon it either).

I know the Japanese can be shy and they take their times with such matters and all that jazz, but I'm not talking about that. My ranting is focused primarily on pacing issues and there being too much to imply on and not enough content to actually enjoy / relish in. We're really freaking missing out.

Last edited by Master Chibi; 2009-01-17 at 03:25.
Old 2009-01-17, 03:12   Link #71
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think I know people who are like this actually.

You never see them show a sign of affection (physical anyway, even kissing) and you'd never think they ever did anything together, yet....they got kids of their own making.

Some people are just like that. Still squirmish about intimacy even though they do have sex from time to time. Mentally it is still thought of as "dirty" and thus they still associate that thought with other intimate situations even if they have seen (or perhaps just felt...its dark) each other naked.
Old 2009-01-17, 03:23   Link #72
Maxtro

For some reason I don't like what Clannad has turned into. I enjoyed season one so much more than two. The humor seems to have died and it focuses too much on Nagisa and Tomoya. I haven't watched 13 or 14 yet and from what I've read in their respective threads I'm not missing much.

It seems the show is trying to hard be real and focus on a young adult relationship. Neither of which I'd care to watch.
Old 2009-01-17, 03:26   Link #73
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I think I know people who are like this actually.

You never see them show a sign of affection (physical anyway, even kissing) and you'd never think they ever did anything together, yet....they got kids of their own making.

Some people are just like that. Still squirmish about intimacy even though they do have sex from time to time. Mentally it is still thought of as "dirty" and thus they still associate that thought with other intimate situations even if they have seen (or perhaps just felt...its dark) each other naked.
Right, but there's a difference between KNOWING that this their actual behavior and simply having to imply of it otherwise, and that's why I'm getting angsty about it.

Old 2009-01-17, 03:28   Link #74
cold_snipe
Greetings from Canadia!

wonderful episode, go akio~
Spoiler for future eps:
Old 2009-01-17, 04:38   Link #75
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr429 View Post
just to get this out of my head
does anyone know if this is gonna end like the movie or is it going to have a new ending.
I somehow doubt the former, given everything I've heard in my discussions with velocity7. The latter would largely depend on your definition of "new". I can't say much given what I believe I know for fear of being spoilericious.

Sure, there'll be some elements of the story the movie touched on. However, it bears noting that the movie either touched on things in a very cursory manner, in a different manner than the original canon, or outright didn't touch at all, given the restrictions of the format. I think it's fair to say that given episodic television format that KyoAni's going to try to tell the story as faithfully as they can in as many permutations as is practical (two as of right now when you include the DVD-only episode for the Tomoyo arc with a possible third this season for you Kyou fanfolk). As such, there'll likely be more material that the motion picture had no hope of ever touching that can--and very likely will--be covered in the TV series.

Well, we've already passed the halfway point in the series; it's just a matter of how they'll tell the remainder of the story (as well as any major permutations KyoAni wants to cover).

--Ian.
Old 2009-01-17, 05:21   Link #76
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
For some reason I don't like what Clannad has turned into. I enjoyed season one so much more than two. The humor seems to have died and it focuses too much on Nagisa and Tomoya.
Which is expected, given how things have been built upon from S1, and honestly, it wouldn't have been better any other way (though countless shippers will disagree). Also, you are forgetting the genre the original VN is part of. Think of the comedy as flavoring; THIS is the actual meat of CLANNAD.
Old 2009-01-17, 05:23   Link #77
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And to think some people were tired of Fuko....
Now they want her lol ways back again.
Old 2009-01-17, 05:27   Link #78
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Talking

Quote:
Right, but there's a difference between KNOWING that this their actual behavior and simply having to imply of it otherwise, and that's why I'm getting angsty about it.

In any other circumstances, as my Literature professor often said, showing is always better than telling. Still I feel that, in CLANNAD's case, despite the fact that we're given more implications than actual details, it still works.

Also, again, you can always blame KyoAni for signature avoidance of animating ANY PDAs.
Old 2009-01-17, 06:05   Link #79
typhonsentra

My problem isn't that they didn't show affection, my problem is that I took it for granted that it was happening behind the scenes. At the point he proposed they'd been together for just under 2 years, I was assuming they already were having sex by that point and was shocked by the episode preview which had him fidgeting while she's in the shower. At no point before that had I expected that Tomoya was still a virgin (I found that funny on it's own.). And even if he was, they've been together for so long I'd think they'd be past the "Nervous hand holding" stage by now.....
Old 2009-01-17, 07:25   Link #80
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

I dunno, kisses or intimate hugging isn't really that much of a stretch (it happened in the game before the wedding, but yeah, again, it's all implied in the anime), but a full nookie pre-wedding is. Tomoya, as far as he's been characterized in the show doesn't seem to be the type to be thinking with his groin, unlike some other male leads we've been exposed to...