Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-17, 23:41   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Rounding off the Luffy Crew

Just some observations I've been making of the Luffy crew so far and tell me if I'm wrong, but the crew seems perty rounded out....except for one thing. They don't have anyone who's good at defence. Zoro, Sanji, Luffy and Robin are good at offence, Chopper is a good doctor (but kinda lacks somewhat in the fighting area) and Ussop is...well, good at hiding. Nami really isn't all that hot at fighting (about Ussop's level) but she's quick on her feet and very sharp. Good atributes all around. But one thing that the group is missing is someone who's good at defence in a fight and who would make a good shipright. The reason I suggest someone who's good in the defence arena is because the other guys are more offensive in nature and there are times when defence works best.

Plus if Luffy got into a fight with that ice guy, just think about it. If they had someone who was good at defence, luffy could concentrate on offence and beat the guy much easier. That would be one example anyways. Plus having them be a shipright would also be another big boon. That person could make repairs and modifications to the ship as need be and be the backup man in fights.

Or do you guys think that there are other places that the Luffy crew could benefit from the addition of another member? If so, what kind of power and purpose would they have? I don't see them needing to add much more than one other person, (not enough room on the ship for much more than one extra person) but definately one more is needed from what I can see.
Old 2004-05-18, 01:46   Link #2
Vinzer
麦わら海賊団万歳!

Yes I agree they need a technician, poor Going Merry won't last long without one.

Luffy: What we need next is a musician, MUSICIAN!! all pirates sing right???!!

Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-18, 02:56   Link #3
Joe Dalton

I agree with luffy music is KEY!!!
Old 2004-05-18, 04:14   Link #4
soraryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Or do you guys think that there are other places that the Luffy crew could benefit from the addition of another member? If so, what kind of power and purpose would they have? I don't see them needing to add much more than one other person, (not enough room on the ship for much more than one extra person) but definately one more is needed from what I can see.
If I remembered correctly, Luffy has mentioned before (I think to Zorro) that he wants the total number of StrawHat crew to be ten (or so). I agree that the Going Merry doesn't really have much space for additional crew members. Maybe one additional male crew (shipwright ?) and one additional female crew (e.g. singer/musician/dancer ?) would be about as much as the Going Merry can take (unless the Going Merry is going to get an overhual/massive infrastructural upgrade to become frigate-like ?).
Old 2004-05-18, 09:34   Link #5
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraryu
If I remembered correctly, Luffy has mentioned before (I think to Zorro) that he wants the total number of StrawHat crew to be ten (or so). I agree that the Going Merry doesn't really have much space for additional crew members. Maybe one additional male crew (shipwright ?) and one additional female crew (e.g. singer/musician/dancer ?) would be about as much as the Going Merry can take (unless the Going Merry is going to get an overhual/massive infrastructural upgrade to become frigate-like ?).
not too much of a spoiler ~ this is from having watching the first 30 seconds of the 4th movie (supposedly can't watch this after episode 130 but i wasn't aware of it...

Spoiler:

so damn far in the making... I love Kaizoku for making these great fansubs, but couldn't they team up w/ some other fansub to speed up the process? or maybe do every even episodes and have the other fansub do the odd numbered episodes?...

edit: and I am not suggesting sacrificing quality over speed. I am just wondering if this was feasible and if Kaizoku had thought of doing this...

Last edited by dragonz20; 2004-05-18 at 09:52.
Old 2004-05-18, 12:13   Link #6
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
not too much of a spoiler ~ this is from having watching the first 30 seconds of the 4th movie (supposedly can't watch this after episode 130 but i wasn't aware of it...

Spoiler:
Spoilers for the end of the Arabasta arc:
Spoiler:

There's no "anime-only crew member". And it would suck if there was, in my opinion; since introducing an anime-only character for the crew could contradict the series in the future; since it's obviously based in the manga, which's done all by Eiichiro Oda, the creator. In other words, putting a major-role anime-only character in the crew would cause confusion in further events of the story. The crew members will be chosen by Oda, and Oda himself

Back on topic.
It's quite obvious that a new member will enter the group soon, and maybe that's a shipwright. Who will be, we don't know.
Spoiler:

About further crew members... a musician, I don't know if we will ever see one. They already have a captain, a swordsman (well... maybe we can consider Zoro as the 1st Immediate), a cook, a navigator, a sharpshooter, a doctor and an...
Spoiler:

I don't see any other important members entering to the group except a shipwright. All important roles in a pirate crew have been filled already.
Old 2004-05-18, 12:22   Link #7
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, if they do add a shipright, that boy better be good at defence, cause Luffy and the others are perty much all offence in the way they fight. They need someone who can be their shield and take the beating while they're dropping the smackdown on the enemy.
Old 2004-05-18, 13:51   Link #8
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

A musician who can take some pounding . Sounds good.
Old 2004-05-18, 18:18   Link #9
Zfan
STOP JOKING AROOOUND~!

Send a message via ICQ to Zfan Send a message via MSN to Zfan
Quote:
I don't see any other important members entering to the group except a shipwright. All important roles in a pirate crew have been filled already.
Dunno. I think Luffy's crew will be big; remember that he asks anyone to be part of his crew (remember Gaimon and Crocus). At my point of view, after Luffy have became the Pirate King (IF he's gonna be), he'll have a quite big crew, like Shanks'.
Old 2004-05-18, 18:47   Link #10
Vinzer
麦わら海賊団万歳!

I dont' think Oda-sensei will let the Straw Hat Crew to grow too big, since the focus on each character will be really hard if the crew got too big. I would like to see a shipwright and a musician =)
Old 2004-05-18, 20:36   Link #11
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-18, 22:22   Link #12
aahhsin

Well what do they already have?

Luffy = Captain
Zorro = 1st Mate
Sanji = Cook
Nami = Navigator
Chopper = Doctor
Usopp = Scout/Mechanic
Spoiler:

So all they need is a Skipper especially one with a blue collar shirt and white pants. peferably a old man. They don't have a perverted old man yet. Sanji... but an old man is just so much funnier.

A musician sounds nice.

O O O how about a Janitor? He can fight with a broom/spear.
Old 2004-05-19, 01:46   Link #13
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

good defense???
hmmmm..........
if getting cut by the strongest swordsman in the world and still living is a bad defense ability, tell me wat is.
There is no point in defending. This isnt a computer game where u have a wall just protecting ur precious units. Zoro, Sanji, Luffy all defend by attacking. In a real fight, u dont need "goalies" all u need are ppl who kill before they get killed. If someone was used as a stone wall against the big pirates Luffy fought, that guy would be dead... and it would be pretty useless to have someone sit there and take hits when u could have someone that can take out the enemies before they even attack.

i think it would be better for the crew to have an engineer rather than a shipwright.
they can make Going Merry a steam boat.
a musician huh?? if it's a female it would be perfered for her to have a devil fruit. so there can be 2 guys and 2 grls with devil fruit. if it's a guy, another person like Zoro and Sanji (someone that can come in between the two's fights).

They should get a fisherman. They never catch fish in the ocean.... well, they never catch any normal fish.
Old 2004-05-19, 11:10   Link #14
El Diablo

Send a message via AIM to El Diablo Send a message via MSN to El Diablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Diablo
I'm not sure luffy will ever get his musician, simply because how Oda views the music he'd like to have for the crew and what would appear on the anime could be quite different. Somebody who sings on the other hand, without actual music could be quite possible.
Old 2004-05-19, 14:55   Link #15
Avi
HeNta| ArmY WinG-Comman.

Send a message via MSN to Avi Send a message via Yahoo to Avi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
A musician who can take some pounding . Sounds good.
Sex or Defense? O_o
Old 2004-05-19, 16:57   Link #16
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi
Sex or Defense? O_o
Rough Sex ... basically a combination of the 2.
Old 2004-05-19, 17:06   Link #17
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

I hope that they find basically a really strong fighter like Zoro, maybe a
Spoiler:
its kinda lame for the cook to have to do the fighting as well IMO. Although he was trained by "Red Leg" Zeff, i think he should be more like if all else fails kinda fighter.

Matter fact I hope the future additions are a helm handler,musician, and shipwright.
Old 2004-05-19, 17:18   Link #18
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

So lets sum it up, A old man with white pants blue shirt, a perverted one, who is a shipwright and who also is a musician.

So lets hope for the big guy to show up.
Old 2004-05-19, 18:21   Link #19
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil
So lets sum it up, A old man with white pants blue shirt, a perverted one, who is a shipwright and who also is a musician.

So lets hope for the big guy to show up.
Wait.
White pants, blue shirt... these don't match. But I have the perfect new crew member for the Straw Hat crew... he's somewhat a pervert, a shipwright (well, I'm sure he would be able to repair a ship. Wait. No I'm not ) and a (horrible) musician. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to present you:

GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD, A MIGHTY PIRATE!
Indeed, he would be the perfect member for the Straw Hats! The mighty pirate that beat zombie captain LeChuck countless times; is married with the tri-Island Governor Elaine Marley; and, more important, the man who has spotted the legendary three-headed monkey.

PS. For those who don't know, Guybrush Threepwood is the "star" in the Monkey Island game series from LucasArts; and surely the funniest character ever created in an adventure game

Old 2004-05-19, 19:49   Link #20
digidoom

possible spoliers i guess

i thought nico robin was a muscican she so many hands she could be an entire band and what is the purpose of a historain/archeologist on board a ship luffy crew has no need for that
Closed Thread