AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-08, 13:22   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 574 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Oh, man..... the spoiler summary that's out now is some truly shocking stuff, folks. Once again, there's no guarantee of its authenticity until the pics come out, but.... again, the spoiler came from the same source that provided us with reliable spoilers for a while, now. Oh well, here goes nothing:

-Chapter title is "Portgas D. Ace is dead".

-Everyone at the scene is shocked at what just happened to Ace. An enraged Garp warns Sengoku to stop him right now, or else he'll kill Akainu. Sengoku is forced to do just as the aged VA tells him, and restrains him.

-Marco and Vista, also enraged, attack Akainu. The admiral notes that the both of them are Haki users as well. He prepares to strike Ace again, but he gets stopped by Jinbei.

-Ace has a flashback about his and Luffy's childhood. He says that he misses Dadan and tells Luffy to thank everyone for all the love he's received. The vivrecard then completely burns out, and an expression appears on Luffy's face that's never been shown before.......

...Wow. If this is true, well.... man. It looks like Oda had the testicular fortitude to kill off a major character on-screen after all. But of course, this is assuming that the spoiler is true (there was actually another summary that appeared before the Apprentice one that had the same content, so that raises more questions). Still, if this is real... then bravo, Oda.You successfully managed to shock the fanbase to its core. But still, on the chance that the spoiler is legit, that leaves the question of what will happen to Whitebeard (who was the prime candidate for a heroic death)......
Old 2010-02-08, 13:26   Link #2
james0246

I really hope this spoiler is true...not much else to say besides that.

Still, even if true, as Rurik mentioned in the 573 thread, Marco could very well have the power of resurrection (with a cost), and, who knows, maybe Luffy's Haki will somehow revive Ace .
Old 2010-02-08, 13:27   Link #3
Prestige

So it appears that Ace and Whitebeard are going to die and Garp is soon to follow... really shocking development, I would never believed that Oda would actually do this...
Old 2010-02-08, 13:30   Link #4
andy

Man the week chapter is awesome for more than 1 reason.

Well oda did it after all the fake outs a name char dies and it's luffy brother .
Old 2010-02-08, 13:38   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

hmm, wonder what will happen with this part...

"and an expression appears on Luffy's face that's never been shown before..."
Old 2010-02-08, 13:43   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
hmm, wonder what will happen with this part...

"and an expression appears on Luffy's face that's never been shown before..."
Fear? Luffy has certainly shown various emotions associated with happiness, love, and hate, but he has never really shown any fear, no matter what he faces.
Old 2010-02-08, 13:48   Link #7
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Fear? Luffy has certainly shown various emotions associated with happiness, love, and hate, but he has never really shown any fear, no matter what he faces.
He's never really had any intention to kill any of his enemies either, just defeat them. Perhaps this will be the first time we see real killing intent.
Old 2010-02-08, 13:50   Link #8
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
it can't be fear
Old 2010-02-08, 13:52   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Next chapter: Marco uses phoenix down.

Even if the spoiler is true (looks like it), I'll be in denial about Ace's death until next week's chapter. That kind of development in One Piece is unbelievable for me... Scums like Wappol or Enel get to live and even realize their dreams but Ace dies trying to protect his brother? RAGE !
Old 2010-02-08, 13:57   Link #10
marvelB

^To be fair, Eneru technically did "die" once, but hax Logia powers brought him back to life. And.... yeah, Wapol was an asshole, but he's one of my favorite villains, so I'll cut him some slack (besides, he seems to have "reformed" somewhat during his ministory, anyway).

BTW, according to the second spoiler summary, Jinbei got fried by Akainu when he protected Ace. Guess ol' Red Doggie is gonna have himself a nice dinner tonight.
Old 2010-02-08, 14:04   Link #11
John D.

I have to say, I'm very happy with this week spoilers and I sincerely hope that Ace actually dies and stay dead - not out of dislike of Ace, I like the guy, but for the impact on the story. But I'll not be absolutely certain that he actually bit the dust for real until next chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
That kind of development in One Piece is unbelievable for me... Scums like Wappol or Enel get to live and even realize their dreams but Ace dies after protecting his brother? RAGE !
Since Oda stated that he doesn't like having live on-page deaths in One Piece, Ace dying makes more sense to me then someone like Pell (or Enel etc.) simply because if Oda is planning only a few deaths then it makes more sense to have one with big impact on Luffy (and the story progression). Ace death would be the pinnacle of this "pain arc" for Luffy, and I can only imagine how his development will be after this. (Not to mention that Luffy will have a big bone to pick with Akainu and Blackbeard).

But lord, do I like how Akainu turned out.
Old 2010-02-08, 14:06   Link #12
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
it can't be fear
Why not? I never claimed that Luffy feared Akainu, rather I was thinking of, but did not emphasize, Luffy's fear for Ace.

That being said, it could be Anguish, as well...though, Luffy did show such a face when he thought his nakama were killed by Kuma.

edit: Side point, but, Could Kuma heal Ace? I know he is kinda brainwashed now, but if he wasn't, could he "reflect" Ace's injuries away?

Last edited by james0246; 2010-02-08 at 14:38.
Old 2010-02-08, 14:34   Link #13
seiji_kun

Oda pulls it of, he finally killed someone and at a time that almost or probably no-one still thougth it would happen. And the title even makes it a bit funny, it's almost there to drive it through our heads. This chapter is going to be quite the tearjerker. I always liked Ace and hoped for his survival and Oda's track record gave you that light of hope but on the other hand killing Ace was always an option cause it promised incredible character growth for Luffy and he actually did choose the dark road. Bravo Oda, when you deal with death you do it in such a sublime way.

And damn, Akainu keeps putting WB to shame. First the major diss last week callign him a failure in every way and now he even makes him fail saving WB. Akainu made himself the baddest mofo in OP.

Next week Whitebeard will do a Chiyo baa-san or all the tears of the WB crew + Luffy will revive Ace.

Quote:
Flashback to when they were little.
Ace: What are you crying for!!
Luffy: But Ace, I thought you died...
Ace: You idiot, how could I leave my own brother and die? I promise. I'll never die.
That last line makes this just so sad :'( .
Old 2010-02-08, 15:16   Link #14
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Oh man...this is gonna be so much more emotional when the anime comes...especially with the added mood music and the voice actors bringin it all to life.
Old 2010-02-08, 15:23   Link #15
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Damn Akainu... Even if the current event makes more sense for future plot-wise, it is still sad to see Ace die this way.
Old 2010-02-08, 15:27   Link #16
SMASHERJACKSON

gotta feel sry for wb too man, the marines need a good hiding - red dog in particular, i wonder if hell end up being the first/only enemy killed by the SH.
Old 2010-02-08, 15:38   Link #17
Rurik
Golden

Like I said before, I would need a dead, rotting corpse by the end of the series to believe Ace has died, as Birdman in the Arabasta arc, was taken for dead (even more than weird hairdo guy when his boat exploded) and he came back.

This spoilers only gave more chances that Ace has not died, A) the Name of the chapter B) the chapter ending with the vivrecard burning and luffy face expression (if its ends like that).

The chances here are that Ace is going to be KO a few chapters until Luffy does whatever he is going to do. Whatever happens, the current situation in this manga is more fascinating than the other manga series I post on.
Old 2010-02-08, 16:00   Link #18
Darmill

Didn't see that coming. One Piece is getting darker, which actually isn't a bad thing. If the spoiler is true, then it would mean that most of the logias only can be hit through haki (& through a superior logia type?).

Coming next: Gear 4 - Luffy the Super Saiyan

Last edited by Darmill; 2010-02-08 at 16:08. Reason: I'm still not sure if Akainu is a haki user
Old 2010-02-08, 16:07   Link #19
marvelB

While it's true I find it hard to believe that Ace is dead, I DO believe that it would be a magnificent way for Oda to develop the story. To have all the trouble that Luffy went through for the last two arcs all be in vain would bring about a great deal of growth in him (it would be especially fitting if we take into account what Oda recently stated about Luffy getting older after this storyline concludes). That is, he'd realize that the long, winding road that is life will have its share of unexpected twists and turns, and there's really nothing to do about it but to keep moving forward. You could even say that it's his duty to keep going forward, as he's one of the young pirates who will usher in the new age......
Old 2010-02-08, 16:11   Link #20
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Yes, Birdman surviving was ridiculous. Hopefully Ace will really die, as in dead-die. I wonder though why Sengoku would be forced to do as Garp sais. Is this just an action out of respect, maybe pared with him wanting to stop Aikanu himself, or has Garp some kind of special authority over Sengoku, although being lower in rank?