AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 93 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 23.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 10.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 12 5.53%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-19, 16:52   Link #181
typhonsentra

I disagree pretty strongly with your judgment that the quality's dropped, but the direction and style of the series which originally attracted people to it has changed so drastically I can see why you'd dislike how it's wrapping up.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:58   Link #182
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
We've knew that since two episodes ago when they specifically said Taiga was picked up by her mum after the accident at the mountain. The reason for the writing to keep it a secret was because it is another bombshell in Taiga's life - Taiga was faking her happiness with her mum so that Ryuji won't worry about her (refer back to two episodes ago when she come back and talked with Ryuji about how she was spending good times with her mum), but in reality her relationship with her mum was about as good as that with her dad.

Did you actually understood any of the dialogue she said about her family?
1) We already knew her dad is a bastard. The problem now is his business failed and he went bankrupt, so he ran.
2) Taiga's mum already re-married and is pregant with a child with her new husband. The only reason she took Taiga back was due to (1) when Taiga got into the accident and she's still legally Taiga's guardian.
(Note: The above wasn't directed at me. I'm just adding to the conversation.)

I really should wait for the subs to come out. I watched the raw and it did seem extremely illogical since I didn't catch that bit about Taiga's relationship with her mother. I'll put it down to my very limited understanding of spoken Japanese. (I rely on kanji and a rudimentary knowledge of grammar to guide me through written Japanese, hehe... you'd laugh at the way I read Japanese out loud, pronouncing half of the kanji in Chinese)

However, if Houkoholic is writing based on his/her knowledge of the book and not what transpired within episode 24, then I really hope episode 25 will explain everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Also be aware it is college finals week for many colleges -- if any of the team has finals, one should hope they are giving priority to those.
Whoa, in which country? That would make sense in Japan, but in countries with a September to June academic year?!? o_O
And yes, exams deserve priority... sacrificing your future for fansubs is a bit sad!
Old 2009-03-19, 17:03   Link #183
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

I don't find the recent episodes disappointing at all. Everything I've seen made sense to me especially the way the characters been acting recently. Just by looking at all the subtle hints toradora been showing throughout the season. I'm very pleased with this show. Looking forward to the last episode.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:08   Link #184
Keio
Serious Business

Hi guys. Finally got around to create my own account here at Animesuki, though I've been lurking since last year. Anyway enough about me.

A few of my impressions based on the raws:
- Minori's admission that she likes Ryuuji while running through the hallways was fantastic
- IMO, even if Ryuuji's and Taiga's confession to each another got interrupted, the message was still conveyed.
- Ami giving Ryuuji that kick was her way of saying, "You're an idiot for letting things get this far when all the while this is what you wanted", "You were too dense for hints" and "I TOLD YOU SO" all rolled into one. And I think she got that message across well.

Will post a better one when I get to watch the subs.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:11   Link #185
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
I don't find the recent episodes disappointing at all. Everything I've seen made sense to me especially the way the characters been acting recently. Just by looking at all the subtle hints toradora been showing throughout the season. I'm very pleased with this show. Looking forward to the last episode.
Seconded. Having watched all 24 episodes over the last week, the early episodes are still fresh in my mind and I didn't notice any drop in quality. If anything, Toradora has been getting more and more interesting.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:12   Link #186
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

My problem with episode 23 would most probably be addressed in the subs if they will come out later, but my friend's problem was that things simply felt too sudden for her. While the show allotted time for Taiga's realization it simply was too sudden, at least for her, for Ryuuji to feel the same way. I've to agree or disagree with her, but I trust her opinion, since we often agree on a lot of things.

As I've stated before I have found episode 23 to be disappointing because of Minori's hypocrisy, but I still do think the show is a good one. However, I'm no longer convinced it's the best of 2009. We shall soon see.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:17   Link #187
TODAY-G

After 23 I believe I meet the best high school love story ever!

When a child tries to grow up, he or she has grown up(> <)
Old 2009-03-19, 17:21   Link #188
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
As I've stated before I have found episode 23 to be disappointing because of Minori's hypocrisy, but I still do think the show is a good one. However, I'm no longer convinced it's the best of 2009. We shall soon see.
Christ man. 2009 isn't even over yet.

Wait until December to make judgments like that.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:25   Link #189
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

You do recognize that it was one of the few excellent anime during the first quarter of 2009, right?
Old 2009-03-19, 17:29   Link #190
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
My problem with episode 23 would most probably be addressed in the subs if they will come out later, but my friend's problem was that things simply felt too sudden for her. While the show allotted time for Taiga's realization it simply was too sudden, at least for her, for Ryuuji to feel the same way. I've to agree or disagree with her, but I trust her opinion, since we often agree on a lot of things.

I understand what you are saying, but

how can you think the show is no longer the best show of the year because one of the characters displayed some unsavory behavior. I said the same thing in the episode 23 thread (that minori was a hypocrite) but that is just her character. She said before "im selfish and im arrogant".

I thought one of the reasons everyone liked this show is because the characters were all flawed much like in the real world.

i guess it just looks to me when you say that because of Minori's hypocrisy this show is no longer the best of 2009 seems like you are displacing your anger at Minori's character's actions and blaming the show for not being good.

Are you saying the show is not good because Minori is a hypocrite?

P.S. Im not trying to start an argument with you. I just want to discuss
Old 2009-03-19, 17:36   Link #191
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
I understand what you are saying, but

how can you think the show is no longer the best show of the year because one of the characters displayed some unsavory behavior. I said the same thing in the episode 23 thread (that minori was a hypocrite) but that is just her character. She said before "im selfish and im arrogant".

I thought one of the reasons everyone liked this show is because the characters were all flawed much like in the real world.

i guess it just looks to me when you say that because of Minori's hypocrisy this show is no longer the best of 2009 seems like you are displacing your anger at Minori's character's actions and blaming the show for not being good.

Are you saying the show is not good because Minori is a hypocrite?

P.S. Im not trying to start an argument with you. I just want to discuss
No, I'm not saying the show is not good. I did note on that post that I still quite think the show is a good one. I'm not that uptight to think that an error like that would destroy my opinion of the show. However, it's not merely Minori's hypocrisy that made me think of the episode as disappointing: somehow, I really felt the drama was contrived, something I felt for the first time. It's something personal, however, and I doubt explaining further would help. I hope that suffices.

The episode merely awakened a realization that Toradora hasn't yet achieved that pedestal for it to be called among the best of 2009. There's still the rest of the year to decide. A few weeks ago, I thought of it as the absolute best of 2009. Somehow, it fell a few rungs with the past few weeks: it's currently still the best, at least for me, but there's a good probability of it being displaced by other anime series coming soon.

This may change soon. I must admit, I am quite fickle.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:37   Link #192
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
You do recognize that it was one of the few excellent anime during the first quarter of 2009, right?
Hey, Maria+Holic and Clannad AS have been good, and I need to catch up on Sorakake and Druaga, but I was enjoying them too.

Quote:
Somehow, it fell a few rungs with the past few weeks: it's currently still the best, at least for me, but there's a good probability of it being displaced by other anime series coming soon.
Not much this year actually sounds decent, though this will probably change when the shows actually come out and I watch them, heh.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:38   Link #193
TODAY-G

I have to say it good because everything happens in the way you can see in the daily world. Somebody wins the love, somebody struggles for love and somebody waits for love. And Takasu even has to face the problem, a family misunderstanding that easily happens in his age of 17. This is not a story about comedy, it's only love.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:39   Link #194
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Sorakake is fun, but I wouldn't quite put it up there as one of "the best" of the year...

Old 2009-03-19, 17:42   Link #195
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Sorakake is fun, but I wouldn't quite put it up there as one of "the best" of the year...
No, but he said "excellent anime" not "best".
Old 2009-03-19, 17:47   Link #196
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
No, I'm not saying the show is not good. I did note on that post that I still quite think the show is a good one. I'm not that uptight to think that an error like that would destroy my opinion of the show. However, it's not merely Minori's hypocrisy that made me think of the episode as disappointing: somehow, I really felt the drama was contrived, something I felt for the first time. It's something personal, however, and I doubt explaining further would help. I hope that suffices.

The episode merely awakened a realization that Toradora hasn't yet achieved that pedestal for it to be called among the best of 2009. There's still the rest of the year to decide. A few weeks ago, I thought of it as the absolute best of 2009. Somehow, it fell a few rungs with the past few weeks: it's currently still the best, at least for me, but there's a good probability of it being displaced by other anime series coming soon.

This may change soon. I must admit, I am quite fickle.

I guess I kinda understand what you are saying. The reason i asked you that question in the first place is because based on reading your Toradora blog and post it didn't seem like you would not like a show as much just because minori displayed a character flaw.

personally it has been one of my favorites this year.

When people are talking about the best show of the year it is assumed everyone know they mean so far.

since toradora premiered in 2008 if I was to hold an award ceremony would Toradora be nominated for best anime of 2008 or 2009?
Old 2009-03-19, 17:50   Link #197
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODAY-G View Post
After 23 I believe I meet the best high school love story ever!

When a child tries to grow up, he or she has grown up(> <)

Today G - are you a native english speaker? if not what is your native language?
Old 2009-03-19, 17:57   Link #198
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
since toradora premiered in 2008 if I was to hold an award ceremony would Toradora be nominated for best anime of 2008 or 2009?
2009, normally.
Old 2009-03-19, 18:05   Link #199
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Whoa, in which country? That would make sense in Japan, but in countries with a September to June academic year?!? o_O
And yes, exams deserve priority... sacrificing your future for fansubs is a bit sad!
US colleges - many are on the "quarter system". I just finished my finals this week, next week is spring break and then the "spring quarter" starts. The year has 4 sessions called quarters.
Yes, its hard to get used to -- my first college experience way back when was on a semester system. It also makes it highly annoying if you try to transfer credits between a "quarter" college and a "semester" college.
Old 2009-03-19, 18:07   Link #200
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
I guess I kinda understand what you are saying. The reason i asked you that question in the first place is because based on reading your Toradora blog and post it didn't seem like you would not like a show as much just because minori displayed a character flaw.

personally it has been one of my favorites this year.

When people are talking about the best show of the year it is assumed everyone know they mean so far.

Believe me, if I didn't love Toradora, I wouldn't have written about it as consistently. I've done so for the past three months. I love the series. It's just that the love has weakened, but it never went away.
Closed Thread