Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-27, 12:15   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Using 2 monitors; n.o. 2 turned off and doesn't go back on.

Windows 7.
I bought a new monitor, and wanted to use my older one as a second monitor since it is smaller and doesn't use a hdmi cable. I use a transfer cable to have it connected to my computer.

I hooked on the new one, which is a Dell screen and it automatically detected it as my main monitor. Windows then asked me to reboot which I did, at that time I was seeing n.o. 2 as well with my current back ground.

So I rebooted and the 2nd screen (old one) turned off and even the Power button is not displaying any power at this point, normally if it went on standby or something it would glow.
My new screen is being displayed correctly but my second one refuses to show any signs of life at this point. I looked into the display settings, it is set there as the secondary screen and it is also listed in my device manager and trouble shooter showed no problems detected.
If I made it my primary screen then it would still remain black.

Did my old screen just die on me or something? Or is it a setting somewhere;
I checked the monitor settings, my Nvidia panel settings.
I am going to disconnect it now though for more space.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 12:37   Link #2
sa547
*Author

No, I think the other monitor may have its resolution settings out of range. Try setting that other monitor to 800x600 then tweak until it shows up all right.
Old 2011-10-27, 12:45   Link #3
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
No, I think the other monitor may have its resolution settings out of range. Try setting that other monitor to 800x600 then tweak until it shows up all right.
This would be my thought as well. Double-check to ensure you're just extending the desktop rather than mirroring the primary desktop onto the secondary monitor. If it's set to mirror mode your new monitor's (higher?) native resolution might be more than your older one. Hence the secondary monitor not showing anything.

The only other thing I can think of is to check whether your graphics card has any restrictions on which ports it can 'power' simultaneously. There was some ATI card a couple years back that (I think) had 3 ports: HDMI, display port, and DVI, but only two could be used at the same time.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 13:25   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
This would be my thought as well. Double-check to ensure you're just extending the desktop rather than mirroring the primary desktop onto the secondary monitor. If it's set to mirror mode your new monitor's (higher?) native resolution might be more than your older one. Hence the secondary monitor not showing anything.

The only other thing I can think of is to check whether your graphics card has any restrictions on which ports it can 'power' simultaneously. There was some ATI card a couple years back that (I think) had 3 ports: HDMI, display port, and DVI, but only two could be used at the same time.
Not using an ATI, using the GeForce GTX 260. I will try what you said, will report back in a moment; have to hook it back up again.
Old 2011-10-27, 13:33   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
This is the problem, I see it now. I set it to extending but the second monitor is set to have the same resolution as the first but it is way bigger than the screen actually is.
Now to figure out how to set no. 2 back to 1440x900 instead of what it is set to now.

edit; IT LIVES!
Old 2011-10-28, 00:31   Link #6
sa547
*Author

Congratulations, man! Wish my table was long enough to light up two 17" CRTs in my possession.
Old 2011-10-28, 01:39   Link #7
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
The second monitor could be anywhere, though. I have my TV as my second monitor so it's not obviously on my computer table. It's good 'cause I can watch anime on bigger screen, though the TV is not 1080p so BD anime I'll still watch on my PC monitor.