AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-28, 23:09   Link #361
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To be fair, I probably overstated my argument as well.

I don't think that Gen'ei is inspired by Madoka Magica so much as that Gen'ei's makers are simply aware of the impact that Madoka Magica has had, and so Gen'ei is carefully constructed with that impact in mind.

My main point is that I think Gen'ei is aiming to be a magical girl reconstruction (and it's trying to do that because of the magical girl genre deconstruction that was done by Madoka Magica two and a half years ago). To achieve that, the show has a generally dark atmosphere and tone, based largely on a dark inversion of an old magical girl trope. But then it has its characters overcome some very difficult trials and ordeals, to achieve a very happy ending, which notably includes Akari stating that she intends to one day save Daemonia-possessed humans rather than simply eliminating them.

But Gen'ei definitely can be appreciated and enjoyed without first watching Madoka. Likewise, Gurren Lagann can be appreciated and enjoyed without first watching NGE. It's just that, I think, you can get a fuller understanding of what influenced the show and some of its directions, at a meta level, if you're familiar with the same-genre deconstructive show that pre-dates it.
Old 2013-09-29, 01:10   Link #362
reashot

Just finished the series & I was left with more question than answer.

Who was the boss of the organization?

What does the organization actually do? (given that they actually control a free will Daemonia like Cereberum).

Why is Cereberum actually working for a politician? (a human, if you can call a politician human).

Finally, who was Cereberum its obvious he's a free will Daemonia, but nothing else was explained other than that.

This whole things scream season 2 & I hope I can watch it soon because it was the most interesting anime I watch this season.

So what you guys thinks about the show?
reashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 02:12   Link #363
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Hmm. A happy ending, I guess. So much left unanswered though.

Gen'ei is a nice set of ideas hampered by poor writing.

But it is an interesting concept and somehow the unique art, atmosphere, and overall ideas thrown into the mix are enough to make this an entertaining watch.
Old 2013-09-29, 02:41   Link #364
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To be fair, I probably overstated my argument as well.

I don't think that Gen'ei is inspired by Madoka Magica so much as that Gen'ei's makers are simply aware of the impact that Madoka Magica has had, and so Gen'ei is carefully constructed with that impact in mind.

My main point is that I think Gen'ei is aiming to be a magical girl reconstruction (and it's trying to do that because of the magical girl genre deconstruction that was done by Madoka Magica two and a half years ago). To achieve that, the show has a generally dark atmosphere and tone, based largely on a dark inversion of an old magical girl trope. But then it has its characters overcome some very difficult trials and ordeals, to achieve a very happy ending, which notably includes Akari stating that she intends to one day save Daemonia-possessed humans rather than simply eliminating them.

But Gen'ei definitely can be appreciated and enjoyed without first watching Madoka. Likewise, Gurren Lagann can be appreciated and enjoyed without first watching NGE. It's just that, I think, you can get a fuller understanding of what influenced the show and some of its directions, at a meta level, if you're familiar with the same-genre deconstructive show that pre-dates it.
I certainly don't disagree with anything here, and I do think the idea of looking at Genei as a reconstruction is interesting. It's just hard for me to contextualise, since Madoka itself confirmed magical-girl shows with its ending.

Still thinking.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 05:09   Link #365
Kazu-kun

What a pointless series. Madoka's main redeeming feature, imo, is that at the end Madoka manages to change the status quo. A new one is implemented, yes, but she manages to abolish the darkest element of the old system: magical girls killing witches (people killing people). In this series nothing really changes. At the end people is still killing people, with no way out.

I suppose, watching these girls trapped in a hopeless world might be of value to some. For me, it's meaningless and pretty forgettable.
Old 2013-09-29, 10:10   Link #366
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

A meh ending in my book. The only thing that could have saved this anime is an interesting (I wouldn't hope for satisfying) ending, and it sure as hell didn't deliver. It wasn't a bad anime, but definitely not good either. The creators of this anime has no idea what deep and meaningful story really means, and are too busy expositioning a-la deep morals and making 'big ending episode" check marks to make this anime worthwhile.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 16:00   Link #367
justsomeguy

I'm disappointed. I actually liked the show at the beginning, when the show was almost reminiscent of Garo, with people turning into monsters and the supposed heroes killing them, while character development and plot was steadily built up in the background. But then Ginka "died" and the nasty flaws in the show became obvious. What the hell was the point of that subplot, if she was going to turn up alive anyway (and how? She heard Akari calling her, but how did that prevent her from dying when she speared her evil double? And what was that "other side" stuff not explained?)? The anti-cards were supposed to be very dangerous threats, but in the end they did nothing for the plot since they never showed up again after KOing Meltina and Priscilla. Evil Luna was a more interesting threat, but that plot thread once again went nowhere because Cerebrum actually honored his promise to turn her back. And Leguzario, the organization/entity that's controlling both the Daemonia and Elemental Tarot users, the show never bothered to explain what their deal was, and the characters didn't seem to care despite being annoyed. What happened to the politician that Cerebrum was with? And Cerebrum's motives for doing all that he did was that he wanted to fuck Akari, which would somehow ensure the Daemonia's victory (even though they're already doing very well, outnumbering Elemental Tarot users by the thousands). Finally, there was Akari herself. IMHO she's not worthy of anything that other characters said about her. Always shining, always smiling, always forcing other to go her way... she acted like a normal character would, and didn't do any of that!

Score: 6.5/10. I liked the artstyle, which I know other people didn't, and I really liked the music (thank you Katou!), and I did like that Akari settled things with Fuyuna at the end, but everything else was vague explanations, plot points just thrown in and then taken out or ignored after serving their purpose, jumbled and confused themes, and the whole show ended up being a disappointment.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 22:03   Link #368
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well it seemed to all work out for every one at the end for being such a dark anime

7/10

Tags
bishoujo, fantasy, mahou shoujo