AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-07, 18:02   Link #841
overfiend

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Susano-O, Yamato- no - Orochi, and their story basically it amounts to this:

Susano-O was the son of Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess. He was a brat who loved to prank the other gods and cause all sorts of mischief. One of his pranks so angered his mother that she shut herself into a cave and refused to come out. The world was plunged into darkness and all were fearful. Then a god by the name of Usumi had a plan. He invited the other gods to a banquet outside the cave where Amaterasu was hidden. As the party wore on, Amaterasu became curious about the commotion she was hearing and took a peak outside. At that moment the gods grabbed her and pulled her forth from the cave and made Amaterasu join the party.

Her spirits lifted, Amaterasu never the less had to deal with Susano-O. For his mischief, she banished him to Izumo. In Izumo, Susano-O heard of a eight-headed dragon named Yamato - no - Orochi. This dragon demanded a bride every year from the village, lest he destroy it and eat everyone. So for the last seven years they offered a maiden to the dragon. On the wedding night the dragon would take his new bride back to his lair and eat her. Susano-O agreed to rid the village of Izumo of the dragon, but the young maiden would marry him in return. The villagers agreed.

When Yamato - no - Orochi arrived for his bride, Susano-O disguised himself as a villager while the village threw a great feast in honor of the groom and bride. Eight barrels of sake were given to the dragon, one for each head, as a gift from Susano-O. Yamato - no - Orochi returned to his lair so drunk, he fell asleep and did not eat the maiden. Susano-O krept into the dragon's lair and severed each of the dragon's heads with his sword.

In the morning, the god returned with the heads of Yamato - no - Orochi and the unharmed maiden. The villagers threw another grand feast, this time to honor Susano - O on the occassion of his victory over the dragon and his marriage. As a wedding present, Amaterasu gave the couple three treasures, the jewel Yasakani - no - Magatama, the mirror Yata - no - Kagami, and the sword Ame - no - Murakumo - no - Tsurugi.

Susano - O and his bride eventually had a son and this child and his decendants would be the founders of Japan's imperial line.

The sword and the mirror were said to be enshrined in the Kasanui shrine, until the sword was given to the Emperor Keiko's son Yamatotakeru by the priestess Yamato-Hime.

The Ame - no - Murakumo - no - Tsurugi would go on to become known as the Kusanagi - no - Tsurugi. But that's another story...

Last edited by overfiend; 2004-12-07 at 18:17.
overfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 18:17   Link #842
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hmm.... Susano-O is the son of Izanagi and younger brother to the Sun Goddess Amaterasu. And I think he's depicted more like an impulsive, rude, and brave god rather than a brat.

also I think he got the sword Ame no Murakumo (more well known as Kusanagi) from the tail of Orochi, which is stronger than his own divine sword, so he offered the sword to Amaterasu, and Amaterasu later gave the three artifacts to the first emperor of Japan.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 18:18   Link #843
overfiend

That's a little different than the version I'm familiar with. But cool none the less. I should also point out that it's been sometime since I've read it, so that I remember most of the details at all is a feat by itself. If anyone else catches a mistake, I apologize for any inaccuracies.

Also the Ame-no sword becomes the Kusanagi sword after Yamatotakeru uses it to hunt Ebisu. Something about a wall of fire and using the sword to cut rushes, but I do not remember.

Last edited by overfiend; 2004-12-07 at 18:36.
Old 2004-12-07, 19:01   Link #844
DeuceTrick

After visiting AnimeSuki far more times in one day than anyone really should, I finally got my hands on Kannaduki no Miko Episode 10. Static-Subs did an awesome job as usual, though a few of the translations seemed a little awkward-- when you're coming out this fast, that's perfectly understandable.

Man, what an episode.

Spoiler:

Two more episodes? Just two more?
I'm preparing myself for a very sad ending.
DeuceTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 19:36   Link #845
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by overfiend
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Susano-O, Yamato- no - Orochi, and their story basically it amounts to this:
Spoiler:
I read/heard about that in spring during one of my classes last year. I never heard about the dragon part of it though....well there's some more information I never knew.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 20:36   Link #846
overfiend

This threatens to be

BUT. I will assume most here have seen or are familiar with Blue Seed. If you haven't or aren't, and are interested in another take on the Orochi myth - watch it. The second series isn't that great, but the first is pretty damn cool.

Also Masamune Shirow did a manga named Orion which features Susano-O and Amaterasu as main characters. I'm not sure if Orochi was in it though.

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested.

This topic is no longer

Old 2004-12-08, 00:05   Link #847
Sokar

Angry My Rant

Just saw Ep 10 and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Spoiler:
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:06   Link #848
AiLuvYu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixot
Probably worse to be raped by someone you know since its harder to place the blame on the criminal and easier to place it on yourself. Both are bad though and to me the difference is irrelevant.
Heheh You can't rape da wiiling If i were Himeko i wouldn't mind
AiLuvYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:13   Link #849
DeuceTrick

We're starting to tread on thin ice with the way some people are talking. Let's be careful, please.

Personally, even though at this point
Spoiler:

I still hold out hope for her ultimate return to grace. Though now it seems like at least one death is going to be inevitable.
Old 2004-12-08, 00:29   Link #850
Bullsquat
Strange Love

I'm guessing that all the girls want Himeko to end up with Souma while us guys want Chikane to get luckier, hehe.

Come on now, a girl-on-girl happy ending is pretty rare isn't it? Don't we all want to see it?
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:47   Link #851
aniforever

err freakin' man, i have no idea how this show is gonna end now. why does it always have to be happy moment sad moment and so on. seriously why can't himeko make up her mind on who she likes. i might be indecisive but at least i still have an idea on who i like and who i love. i really starting to wonder if what chikane is currently doing is for good or bad intentions.

Spoiler:
aniforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:50   Link #852
aniforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
I'm guessing that all the girls want Himeko to end up with Souma while us guys want Chikane to get luckier, hehe.

Come on now, a girl-on-girl happy ending is pretty rare isn't it? Don't we all want to see it?
eh i disagree with that statement. i'm a girl and i want chikane to be with himeko. actually i've been rooting for chikane since the beginning. i'm sorrie but the whole one guy and 5+ girls chasing after him is starting to get annoying. now one girl and 5+ guy chasing after her is a whole different story hehe.

yea i know i'm weird so what's your point?
aniforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:52   Link #853
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Well, color me melancholic. I just watched episode 10 for the first time! My mood has just done a 180 degree turn.

Yeah. Chikane is starting to lose points. I'm not sure Himeko can save her. I'm still hoping, but it is fading fast.

I want some answers, dammit! I can't figure what's going on inside that screwed up brain of Chikane's.
Huh? Chikane just gained 6.22×10^23 points in my book from Ep. 10. That has got to be the prettiest push I have seen in all anime.
Spoiler:

I loved that push, that's the coolest move!

Oh, and Chikane is obviously the evil one. How she toyed with Himeko's feelings! ...It was great!

It is my guess that she's venting all the frustrations from the fact that she and Himeko could never be together the way she wanted (compounded by the other Orochi's sufferings) and going through all that Love/Hate phase.
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 01:16   Link #854
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Negatory; I'm rooting for my brotha Souma...though the outlook is very bleak right now.

Quote:
In most cases I'd want to see the that kind of ending (yuri saikou~), but I simply like Souma much more than Chikane.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 01:33   Link #855
DeuceTrick

Quote:
I know I do. Those two just make a cute couple, and they would regardless of gender. There''s something about puppy-dog, "he/she's so cool!" crushes that hits the weak spot in my cold black heart (Yeah right; who am I kidding?). And when the other person is caring towards them, it becomes very sweet to watch.

For instance, watch the scene in the first half of Episode Five, when Himeko gets all upset about Chikane's special dress. Listen to what each of them says. Watch how Chikane gently leans her head on top of Himeko's and just holds her with her eyes closed. Even if the rest of the show disappeared in the abyss, that moment alone was love defined.

By the way, Bullsquat, where does your sig picture come from? Just curious.
Old 2004-12-08, 01:39   Link #856
overfiend

Okay one thing at a time here, and I don't know how many people have seen 10 yet so...

Spoiler:

Bullsquat's sig looks like Strange Love/Hen. Am I right?
Old 2004-12-08, 01:45   Link #857
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrick
By the way, Bullsquat, where does your sig picture come from? Just curious.
Looks like HEN to me.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 01:50   Link #858
DrewGSR

Heh, just finished watching episode 10, i dunno how but i had it for a few days but didnt' watch it. Episode 10 was good, i mean damn this show turns coat quick. Its all nice and soft one moment the bam turns all dark again =). Because of that I really dont know how this show is going to end, alot of times i can predict the ending but this one can go either way.

Yea im kinda bummed it wont be a 24/26 episode show, it looks like its going to be a 12, 13 tops series but still im really liking and enojoying it so far. Ive been a supporter of the Chikane/Himeko hook from the start and will continue to do so!!!

I can't wait for next weeks episode but its still goign to be rough for me since i have finals basically all of next week . I'm sure most of guys do too.

Spoiler:
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 01:54   Link #859
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 01:54   Link #860
SeedBoy

No matter what, Im still rooting for Souma and Himeko. I still didn't see a lovelove relationship between Himeko and Chikane, all I sees in the relationship is that she worries about her best friend, thats all, although it could just be me. 2 thumbs up for Souma. Rawr

Although Himeko's whining starts to bothers me. Making her looks soo weak, I better see some battles between them 2.
SeedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, mecha, romance, shounen, yuri