AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-30, 15:23   Link #1
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Gunslinger--anime similar

Anyone watched Gunslinger Girl? First off, if you havn't, I recommend it. If you have watched it, anyone know any anime series that gives of a similar feeling of it?
Old 2006-04-30, 17:51   Link #2
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Noir
Madlax
Haibane Renmei

All three have amazing atmosphere, very memorable music and mainly female main characters. And at least to me they have emotional intensity similar to that of Gunslinger Girl. Or let's just say they leave me with a similar feeling.

Old 2006-04-30, 19:24   Link #3
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Thanks.
I've always wanted to watch Noir, though only episode 1-3 exist(the person who's posting the videos disappeared...), so it's unlikely for me to be able to watch it.
Madlax is another anime with guns...looks good, I'll check it out after posting.(thanks!)
Haibane...looks like another unique anime too! Another thanks for the suggestion!
Old 2006-04-30, 19:38   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
I've always wanted to watch Noir, though only episode 1-3 exist(the person who's posting the videos disappeared...), so it's unlikely for me to be able to watch it.
Posting the videos...? Noir is amazingly easy to get ahold of.
Old 2006-04-30, 22:23   Link #5
evillily
KissSub_Jelly

Send a message via MSN to evillily Send a message via Yahoo to evillily
Gunslinger Girl's great! My friend said that 最終兵器彼女(She, The Ultimate Weapon/ Saikano) is similar, but I like Gunslinger Girl a lot more.
Old 2006-04-30, 23:16   Link #6
MarcusG
Remember Law of Ueki

I like gunslinger girls. Look at my avatar. Just wish there was little bit more action in it. I wonder if they are planing on making another season. I hope all of the girls die.
Old 2006-04-30, 23:28   Link #7
evillily
KissSub_Jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusG
I like gunslinger girls. Look at my avatar. Just wish there was little bit more action in it. I wonder if they are planing on making another season. I hope all of the girls die.
You hope all the girls die?!?! Why???
I don' think there's gonna be another season but the manga's still ongoing.
Old 2006-04-30, 23:51   Link #8
MarcusG
Remember Law of Ueki

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillily
You hope all the girls die?!?! Why???
I don' think there's gonna be another season but the manga's still ongoing.
If Angelica dies, everyone dies.
Old 2006-05-01, 02:41   Link #9
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

I hope to see more gunslinger too...so sad, so tragic. It's my first time that I cried without myself realizing(I call that true tears)
And the music itself is great, not to mention actions.

Last edited by iamandragon; 2006-05-16 at 15:02.
Old 2006-05-01, 03:20   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I think the easy generic suggestion would be something like Madlax or Noir, but personally I feel those series don't have much in common with Gunslinger Girl at all...GG is really not an action series as much as it's a psycological and skills training series...

I commented on this in the "Nothing like I thought it would be thread..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Gunslinger Girl - Just by the title and the characters I thought this would be a non-stop blood//action fest with little girls kicking a$$ each ep...I was really suprised to find out the series was more of an psyco-analytical series that focused on the girls' emotions and interaction with their trainers and their preparations for assignments more than the actual assignments itself...I'm still kinda torn on this series as I did enjoy it, but it seems to be one of those rare series that didn't make up its mind on what it wanted to be...It didn't know if it wanted to be a drama, action, or psycological-thriller type of series...So it wasn't particularly great in any of those areas, but good...

To give you a better suggestion it might help if you tell me what was it about Gunslinger girl that you liked? Because there are certain episodes of Serial Experiments Lain that has a similar feel...There are also episodes of GITSSAC that have a comparable atmosphere (mostly the eps that focus on just dialouge or missions preparations like GG that has a similiar feel)...Hell there's things about Dorthey's development in BIG O that reminds me of GG...So maybe I'm off my rocker...I think if you want something like GG, you want a psycological based anime suggestion...not necessarily a girl with guns series like Bubblegum Crisis, Dirty pair, so on and so forth...

Also you may hate Saikano (and I don't blame you ), but it has more in common with GG than any other suggestion here...The Saikano OVA has even more in common with actual combat to boot..
Old 2006-05-01, 03:50   Link #11
evillily
KissSub_Jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusG
If Angelica dies, everyone dies.
It seems like Angelica's dead in the end of anime, but in manga, she's not.
I like Elsa actually, but she's dead........>_<
A new girl appears in vol.6 in gsg's manga.
Old 2006-05-01, 09:30   Link #12
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

I just watched a few episodes of Madlax. I was planning to post this later on but I can't help it...it's perfect! Thanks Matrim! Thank you for the great anime!
The insert song 'nowhere' is more than just perfect...I'm now looking for a place to download the mp3/avi/wmv or whatever music format I can get so I can play it over and over again.
Old 2006-05-01, 10:46   Link #13
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
The insert song 'nowhere' is more than just perfect...
I can't agree with you more. I love this song.

Anyway, I am glad to see you liked Madlax.

Quote:
I think the easy generic suggestion would be something like Madlax or Noir, but personally I feel those series don't have much in common with Gunslinger Girl at all...GG is really not an action series as much as it's a psycological and skills training series...
Fair enough but in my opinion Noir and Madlax are much more than just action series.

Old 2006-05-01, 17:09   Link #14
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Madlax can't be classified as an action series, I agree too. There's a problem with Madlax--too much word play. I'm still stuck at episode seven now as I'm typing, 'cause everytime I think back and analyze on the character's wordings, I rewind all the way back over and over again to confirm myself. (not to mention that the way they express things are quite hard to understand as well)
Old 2006-05-02, 04:12   Link #15
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Don't worry about not understanding Madlax, the story develops really quickly a little after ep.13.
Old 2006-05-03, 01:21   Link #16
xxaznnerd

did angelica die at the end??
Old 2006-05-04, 18:44   Link #17
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

In the manga, no. In the anime, she 'fell asleep', but we all knew she died.

I just finished Madlax. Brillant anime. Though my mood really got turned down when I see someone flaming Madlax on another forum. I tried fighting back, but I was out numbered...
Closed Thread