AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-05-11, 19:47   Link #1
CXC

Sega? Making Consoles!?!

Rumor has it that Sega is planning on getting back into the console game but instead of competing with giants like Sony and Microsoft they plan on following the same route Nintendo is by bringing the oldschool to the newschool. However, instead of releasing an all-new console its said they plan on redistributing the Dreamcast and creating new and innovative titles for it. The price range for a new Dreamcast may range from 50 to 80 dollars and could only be bought directly from Segas website or so they say. Now this is only a rumor that one of my close freinds (who happens to be in the industry) told me about, but what if its true. I never actually owned a Dreamcast but if they do re-release it I'd buy it.
CXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 20:34   Link #2
brightman
Ancient Member

Its not a rumor, since its been happening for a few months already. Sega of Japan is selling refurbished DC units with a few new 3rd party games (which have continued to be released in Japan even though the system itself died) on their online store. Note that this is Japan-only. And no, they aren't actually making any more new DCs. They are just selling a few used consoles.
Old 2006-05-12, 11:45   Link #3
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I wish I still had my Dreamcast. Though the only game I had was sonic, I loved it so. I can't remember what happened to it...
Old 2006-05-17, 09:10   Link #4
Sides

Well there is this new "console" from sega, called beena ^^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-17, 22:35   Link #5
Neomang5
Bwahahahaha

Send a message via AIM to Neomang5
That is a frightening link. Do not click it.

My cousin had a Pico. I could never look at Sega the same again. It was just... Horrible.
Neomang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 20:37   Link #6
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

dreamcast is still by far my favorite video game system. although with much more developers making standard games on PC i seem to be headed towards all computer stuff. especially since there is so much dojin things on PC.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 01:37   Link #7
allen wallker

Location: SASKATOON SASK CANADA WEVE HAD ABSOLUTLEY NO ANIME CONS AND FULL METAL ALCHIMEST JUST STARTED ON TV
sega is a great company that i have been adicted too for ages i couldnt belive my eys the day i read that sega was officaly ending them selves in the video game war so its great sega is doing this but theyve been long time people in the industry with nintendo i think if sega got back and worked with nintendo we could see a cool system but its still great that there making games on the consels
allen wallker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 21:52   Link #8
wnkryo
HainShodan

hmmm... I'm still not sure why the dreamcast "failed" (as some may say); considering, it was a great console with a solid game library (games like shenmue revolutionized what a console video game can do). Infact, I still play some sonic, and capcom vs marvel on it. But anyways, if sega decides to restart it's console making business, then I'm all for it.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 22:14   Link #9
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
it only "failed" in the western hemisphere, the same way the xBox "failed" in the Eastern Hemisphere.
Old 2006-05-23, 22:27   Link #10
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
it only "failed" in the western hemisphere, the same way the xBox "failed" in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Which is a fairly large market that can make or break it.

They just had bad timing with the dreamcast.

It was released...what...a week before/after the PS2?

But it was so awesome...god I love that console...I jsut can't find games for it.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 22:52   Link #11
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
you forget, the Asian/Japanese Market is a whole ecology in itself. What people consider as failure is mainly western media, such as rumours before the showcast of the Revolution/Wii. It was laughable when they began saying Nintendo was going to abandon the console market and head to software development such as Sega. No such concerns was even considered on the eastern front. Nintendo is so strong in the home market and in the Asian region, it was rediculous.

It was only because we have seen it fare badly in the west that we precieved it had failed everywhere else.

Sometimes I think this narrow-view is what get us shot in the foot every now and again.

*sigh*
Old 2006-05-24, 07:37   Link #12
wnkryo
HainShodan

But you have to understand that Failing in the west compared to failing in the east is very different because the dollar is worth more then the yen. Also, there is a major population difference, and that basically means there are more potential costumers in the west then there are in the east (even if japan has heavy gamers). So if you fail in the east but succeed in the west, then your company can still thrive. But vice-versa is not true, and sega has shown this with the "failure" of the dreamcast.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 08:48   Link #13
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Actually, the Dreamcast was only successful in the US. But not enough to survive.
Some time after Sega became a third-party company, they lowered the price of the Dreamcast in Japan, and then the Japanese jumped on it and bought it fairly quickly, mainly for the next Sakura Taisen game.
Quote:
hmmm... I'm still not sure why the dreamcast "failed" (as some may say); considering, it was a great console with a solid game library
Yes, but there was a draught of good games after a couple months, which had an effect on sales.
Quote:
It was released...what...a week before/after the PS2?
An entire year before the PS2, actually.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 09:18   Link #14
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Dreamcast is still pretty much alive in Japan, they still release games now and again for it and its become the home of most arcade styled shooter games.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 06:06   Link #15
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

xbox failed worldwide if u consider how much of a loss microsoft took

sega may not have been as popular in japan as it was in the US per console sales, but i can assure you that TONS of developers had jumped on the band wagon and games were sold in good numbers and far outnumbered us releases.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 08:48   Link #16
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
xbox failed worldwide if u consider how much of a loss microsoft took

sega may not have been as popular in japan as it was in the US per console sales, but i can assure you that TONS of developers had jumped on the band wagon and games were sold in good numbers and far outnumbered us releases.
i thought the whole point was to loose money on the console and make money on the games.
The xbox 360 would very expensive if it where sold to make a profit same with the original xbox i think
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 12:32   Link #17
Ending

Well, why not? Dreamcast would be cheap and if it got good games, I would buy it. Pretty graphics do not mean the world to me. However... If the games were purchasable only from web, that would mean every customer needs a credit card. Something not everyone has.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 12:54   Link #18
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

ive got a mod chip for me DC and i was able to buy many games from Japan that werent released in europe my favourite being Ikaruga. There is a store near me that used to sell Japanese DC games, and when they wanted to get rif of them all they reduced them to about £3.00 and so i snapped them up. However Toy Commander will always be my favourite DC game.

A month after that it stopped working, the thing kept restarting, i however fixed that by sorting out the catch on the cd door, if any1 else has the problem of their DC restarting give me a pm and i can give a little walkthough to fix it.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 13:03   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If this happens, then i'll be a very happy bunny - and Shenmue 3 shall have to be released on this console, and nort 360.
Old 2006-05-25, 15:05   Link #20
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
i thought the whole point was to loose money on the console and make money on the games.
That's not true. Losing money on the console only started with the PSX.
Quote:
A month after that it stopped working, the thing kept restarting
Usually that happens a year after purchase. It's the result of the aging of metal. Some pins get disconnected a bit at some place, and you have to open your Dreamcast and push them gently into place again.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote