AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-02-12, 23:51   Link #441
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

We'll consider that option when we have alien superman giant gorilla problem on Earth.
Old 2012-02-13, 00:08   Link #442
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Space 1999 was fun too, in a weird sort of way. Star Trek (Original Series) provided an optimistic view of what we could become...but it also predicted that we would nearly destroy ourselves before we realized it (World war III, or an equivalent). That was before the Utopian Next Generation model came out.

Some of the tech from Star Trek (any form) has actually come to pass. And in some cases is actually more advanced that the Star Trek version of it. Some of that tech was on the drawing board....others were inspired by the program and say "I can make that" and eventually did. Reality is stranger than fiction. Just sometimes the tech desn't go where you think it will. or even at what pace you think it will. Some things have happened way faster than expected...other things....seem centuries away still, if not "impossible".

Though I do hope Hawkings is still working on that Warp Drive problem like he said after being a guest star on the show.
Old 2012-02-13, 00:29   Link #443
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Well, I thought advancement in space including building of stations would come faster than cyborg techs.
But the rapid advancement in medical cybernetics of the past few years completely rendered that line of thinking false.

Then again, still no flying cars. We were promised flying cars damnit!
We may already have the Jetsons like TV phones, but without the flying cars and pesky maid-bots, it ain't the same.
Old 2012-02-13, 01:03   Link #444
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro
Some of the tech from Star Trek (any form) has actually come to pass.
Indeed, such as the cell phone. Dr. Martin Cooper, who invented the cell phone, said he got the idea after watching Star Trek TOS.
Old 2012-02-13, 01:07   Link #445
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

well someone said we have a flying car...but no one knows how to classify it...as a car or as an airplane.

The trouble with flying cars...you will need an infrustructure and a whole lot of laws to get that to work. i would love to see a Back to the Future II style skyways (2015), but can you imagine the regulations and training you'd need for that. People have a hard enough time changing lanes in 2D....now you want them to do it in 3D? How do you avoid hitting or cutting off the guy vertically below you when you want to get to the "off ramp"?

How high is it still considered a car and not an airplane? Will they follow aircraft regulations? There are "traffic lanes" in the sky presently... they are just several hundred feet apart from each other vertically. And there are generally not all that many planes in one location/altitude, except around airports.

(I use to ride in small single engine aircraft several times a year, so I got to know some of the regulations and have experiance in what things look like from the air, and with watching for other aircraft to avoid incidents.)
Old 2012-02-13, 01:33   Link #446
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Well, I thought advancement in space including building of stations would come faster than cyborg techs.
But the rapid advancement in medical cybernetics of the past few years completely rendered that line of thinking false.
Think of it this way: cybernetics + nanotechnology + genetics = you get to live longer to actually get to see flying cars, moon bases, nuclear fusion, warp drives, humanity destroying itself, and a trip to Alpha Centauri.

Just, be rich. Or get rich. So you can actually buy your life-extension package.

Can you imagine the dystopian horror that comes out of the notion that the rich don't actually just get to live longer with better food and healthcare, but by literally extending their lives? If you say yes, well, so did a bunch of sci-fi writers!

That said, flying cars aren't such a good idea. American drivers do enough damage in their SUV's already. I'm more in favor of public transport, Maglevs everywhere and an express train to Prometheum.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 03:45   Link #447
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Or you know, half-automated flying public transportion systems.

And yes, I fully intend to have my head in a jar. *does the evil Mr. Burns finger twiddle*
Old 2012-02-13, 04:03   Link #448
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I had a talk once about using a high speed lane (maglev or something) for modified cars on the long distance freeways (Like Interstate 5 for example). Were the cars are on autopilots so they can be within a foot of each other so that only the first one needs to actually defeat wind resistance while moving at or over 120 mph. It would take over the current carpool lanes and only have specific requirements for use...first being a car equipt to handle the technology. Your trip would be preprogrammed, but have emergeny features in case of either car or person having serious issues. There would need to be a transition lane of some sort to get the cars up to speed and allow the programming to slip a car into the line. There would need to be some form of protection between the maglev (or anti-grav tech, whatevers) lane and the normal lanes. One to protect against any high speed crashes, and to to prevent morons from trying to enter the maglev lane with a roadster speed demon car that is not on the program...but might be able to make 120+ mph.

In theory it would increase fuel economy for everyone except whoever was in the lead, as they would get air resistance. However these cars would also need to be able to operate off the maglev or whatever since not all roads will have the techology, nor would all roads need the technology. You don't need that sort of high speed system in downtown suburban towns or major cities were people are constantly turning, changing lanes, and stopping at all sorts of places.

It was something of an idea. No idea how viable it is. Just that Americans like their cars and don't care all that much for public transit as they like thr "freedom" to go wherever they want.
Old 2012-02-13, 05:14   Link #449
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Think of it this way: cybernetics + nanotechnology + genetics = you get to live longer to actually get to see flying cars, moon bases, nuclear fusion, warp drives, humanity destroying itself, and a trip to Alpha Centauri.

Just, be rich. Or get rich. So you can actually buy your life-extension package.

Can you imagine the dystopian horror that comes out of the notion that the rich don't actually just get to live longer with better food and healthcare, but by literally extending their lives? If you say yes, well, so did a bunch of sci-fi writers!

That said, flying cars aren't such a good idea. American drivers do enough damage in their SUV's already. I'm more in favor of public transport, Maglevs everywhere and an express train to Prometheum.
Whether if they are the government or Big Corp producing those stuff, have fun being shot by a persuadertron by a different faction every day.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 12:05   Link #450
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Space 1999 was fun too, in a weird sort of way.
Maybe you'll get a chance to re-live the fun:

"They've been rebooted, re-imagined and uncut, but now Space 1999 is getting
its own on-screen revival next to sci-fi classics Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and
Star Wars."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...e_imagination/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 19:28   Link #451
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Maybe you'll get a chance to re-live the fun:

"They've been rebooted, re-imagined and uncut, but now Space 1999 is getting
its own on-screen revival next to sci-fi classics Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and
Star Wars."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...e_imagination/
Hmmm that might be interesting. However I think the "1999" would have to be a different year like 2099. That's one thing that has always bothered me about near-future stories. A date is set in the story (Such as the years 1999 and 2012 in Macross, and 1997 in Terminator), the date comes and goes and nothing happens.

I wonder, if this show gets a reboot, if they'll do a remake of the episode Dragon's Domain? I saw that episode as a kid and it freaked me out for a long time. The special effects technology today is good enough to make this episode even more terrifying.

Endless "Smoking remains" Soul
Old 2012-02-13, 21:27   Link #452
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It's well past 1996 and my uber-cool police labor robots still ain't here.

Yuuki Masami, you owe us a sequel.
Hell I wouldn't even mind a cross over with Birdy
Old 2012-02-13, 22:12   Link #453
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Wasn't there a movie released recently that has that exact premise?
Old 2012-02-16, 14:43   Link #454
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" has been announced with a supposed release date for summer 2012. It's been less than a year since 10.7 "Lion" was released... that's very fast. People suspect that Apple has reverted to a "tick-tock" release cycle, where one release introduces a lot of new features and the next major release has less of a focus on new features and more on optimizing what's there (similar to how OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" were).

If they keep the price low (Lion was $30, if I remember correctly), I guess I won't mind too much... but I don't particularly like the increased speed of the upgrade treadmill.

(Edit: this may be a nice time to remind people that I created an Apple User Group social group on AnimeSuki. It's fairly dead, but if you want to discuss Apple-related stuff, feel free to chatter there.)

Last edited by Ledgem; 2012-02-16 at 14:53.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 16:49   Link #455
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Get to Know the Atlas 5

Quote:
Powering the Atlas 5 during the first four minutes of flight is the RD-180 liquid-fueled engine. The liquid oxygen/kerosene powerplant is a two-thrust chamber, two-nozzle engine made by NPO Energomash of Khimky, Russia. It was developed from the RD-170 engine used by Russia's Energia-Buran space shuttle, the Energia-M and Ukrainian Zenit rockets.

Featuring hypergolic ignition, the engine produces 860,000 pounds of thrust and is throttled up and down to ease the stresses the rocket experiences throughout the launch. And its dual nozzles provides superior steering control during the climb out.
~swoon~

Endless "All systems go" Soul
Old 2012-02-16, 17:19   Link #456
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Get to Know the Atlas 5

~swoon~

Endless "All systems go" Soul
Fapfapfapfapfap.......

Sorry, was in my nerd mode.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-16, 17:42   Link #457
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The link is dead.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 18:34   Link #458
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

No matter. The flight got called off.

Old 2012-02-16, 18:59   Link #459
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well, hopefully the winds will have died down by tomorrow.

@Dhomochevsky - Really? Still works for me.

Endless "Postponed" Soul
Old 2012-02-16, 19:06   Link #460
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Works for me now too, gave a timeout earlier.

There should be a law that every tv station needs to show one rocket start every day, because they are so awesome. That would teach people funding priorities.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote