AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-07-12, 19:40   Link #1
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Need new Anime/Manga [Main Criterium: Characters]

Warning! WALL OF TEXT!

OK people, I need new anime or manga. I am quite nit-picky about the characters but I am open to most genres.

My criteria:

1. Protagonist (preferably male)
Well, since characters are probably the most important to me, the Protagonist is obviously a deciding factor. Most important is that he really impacts the story in some way. I don't want him to look like a side character for 3/4th of the story, but it is OK if he goes into the background for the first few episodes/chapters, so the story can be set up. He can be a pervert, but not overexaggerated (also see criteria 4, because perverts usually provoce this), but no white knights please - ever. Also he should feel like a living being and have his unique character traits, but I don't mind if he begins with the "always normal" mentality (Rosario+Vampire MANGA (the anime "sux") is a good example of how such a character is developed right.)

2. Characters
This includes all characters aside from the Protagonist. The main heroine (if there even is one - depending on genre) can be anything, but Tsunderes led me to drop some series already, so please check criteria 4 for that. Also as with the protagonist, a main heroine should have unique character traits - same with the core-cast. I cannot really say much more for this, because I have to watch the show to actually to judge the cast.

3. Story
I don't really mind if it is a cliche story, as long as it is enjoyable and the characters are interesting. But what I certainly don't want is an anime that is a "manga adaption with a different ending". Because this - in most cases - guarantees that there will not be a 2nd season. Also the alternative endings of such adaptions usually are trash.

4. Please no "Double Standard Overdosis"
I think this criteria will need some explanation: Basicly it means that I don't want to see any anime/manga that tries to force slapstick comedy into the show, while still trying to be "politically correct". In most cases it ends up in the trope called "Violence is OK if it is female to male". I don't want to make this into a philosophy thread, so I refrain to explain why I don't want that.
Anyway: This makes it impossible for me to watch 90% of all harem anime/manga. However if it is just a few little moments, where this trope applies, then I can bear it, I guess.

I try to check this criteria for 2 examplary animes/mangas

Death Note: This is one of the very few anime/manga in existence with 0% of this trope in it. (Light: "This is the first time I really want to punch a girl" and "Sayonara Misora Naomi-san")

To-Love-Ru: In every chapter you see the main guy "accidently" tripping over something which causes him to "accidently" do something perverted (I think there even was 1 chapter where a character noticed how much talent in tripping&falling he had) and following that he was usually punished violently ("in the name of slapstick comedy") by one of the females (either intentional or "accidently"). The worst part about this, is that sometimes "ecchi situation" was created by one of the females and then she punished him violently for it. What makes this even worse, is that there is a female sidecharacter who does perverted things all the time and does not get punished for that even once. So this is the worst it can become so far. I have no yet seen any other anime/manga to take this further. So you could say the trope applies 100% here. I wish i could "unwatch" this, because i mistakenly thought that this Manga would at some point change direction, as Rosario+Vampire did.
Anyway: To-Love-Ru is the best example of a Anime/Manga that I DON'T want to watch.

5. Genre
Almost anything goes here (even sports). The age of the anime/manga does not really matter to me. Harems can be OK too as long as they pass criteria 4.
Only thinks I really don't want here are Hentais, Yuri, Yaoi, shonen ai and shojo ai

Personal List of Anime/Manga
Explanations:
  • "following" = Either catched up ongoing Anime/Manga with Japanease episodes/chapters, or trying to catch up with ongoing or completed anime/manga
  • "completed" = Completed the Anime/Manga on this medium
  • "stalled" = Anime/Manga which is on-hold, that I will possibly finish at some time
  • "dropped" = Anime/Manga that I completly lost interest in

List of watched Anime:
  • One Piece - following
  • Naruto - following
  • Bleach - stalled
  • Katekyo Hitman Reborn - completed
  • Eyeshield 21 - completed
  • Death Note - completed
  • Code Geass - completed
  • Code Geass R2 - completed
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - completed
  • Zero no tsukaima - dropped after 1st season, Protagonist contradicted himself too much
  • Guilty Crown - completed
  • Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - following
  • Pandora Hearts - completed, but alternative ending was bad
  • Tears to Tiara - completed
  • Utwarenomo - stalled
  • Eureka 7 - stalled
  • Dragon Ball (original and Z) - completed
  • Highschool DxD - stalled or dropped.. not sure yet
  • Mashiro Iro Symphony - dropped
  • Haiyore Nyarko-san - completed, but became worse over time
  • Hyouka - following
  • Evangelion - stalled
  • Star driver - stalled
  • Shaman King - completed... left with a confusing ending until i saw that the manga it was adapted from was on a 10 year hiatus
  • Mirai Nikki - completed, but why did they have to leave out parts of the ending?
  • Hunter x Hunter (+ OVAs) - completed
  • Hunter x Hunter 2011 - following

List of watched Manga:
  • One Piece - following
  • Naruto - following
  • Bleach - stalled
  • Katekyo Hitman Reborn - following
  • Eyeshield 21 - completed
  • Code: Breaker - stalled
  • Death Note - completed
  • Rosario+Vampire - completed
  • Rosario+Vampire Season 2 - following
  • To-Love-Ru - completed, as i sadly cannot "unwatch" it
  • To-Love-Ru Darkness - dropped
  • Pandora Hearts - following
  • Gakuen Alice - following don't ask me why... i just like the characters i guess
  • Kaichou wa maid-sama - following... but kind of boring lately
  • Mirai Nikki - completed
  • Big Order - following
  • Bakuman - completed
  • Freezing - stalled
  • Prince of Tennis - completed
  • New Prince of Tennis - stalled
  • Eden no Ori - following
  • The world god only knows - stalled
  • Sankarea - following... but i think i skipped some chapters
  • Hunter x Hunter - following/waiting for Hiatus to end
  • Gamaran - following
  • Btoom! - following
  • Dengeki Daisy - stalled
  • Umi no misaki - stalled
  • Shaman King (+Kang Zeng Bang) - completed
  • Shaman King Hana - stalled
  • 07 Ghost - following
  • Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - following.. don't know which version though^^
  • Acchi Kocchi - following
  • Gamble Fish - following
  • Omamori Himari - following... i give it a special exception for criteria 4 because it is mostly enjoyable

(lists probably incomplete, but they should cover most of things i have watched)

OK, this is it. I did this in the middle of the night, so I will probably do some edits tomorrow. Sorry for this Wall of Text, I hope you all don't mind it.

So thank you in advance for reading through all of this (or not) and for your suggestions and feel free to ask, if you want to know anymore specifics.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:06   Link #2
jedinat

Here's some manga:
Angel Densetsu
Kiseijuu
Noblesse
Outlanders
Tower of God
The Breaker
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:08   Link #3
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Here's what I have:

Anime: Darker than Black, Seikon no Qwasar, Angel Beats, Fate Zero, and Persona 4.

Manga: Holy Land & Lost+Brain (It's like Death Note, but it deals more with hypnosis)

That's what I can think of for now, so what do you think?
Old 2012-07-12, 20:18   Link #4
jedinat

...and here's some anime:
Trigun (dunno if you'll dislike his 'do not kill' obsession, but it's one of the greatest anime so w/e... it's different than the manga but I love the anime way more)
Hellsing (2006)
Gundam SEED
Shura no Toki (first 14 episodes)
RahXephon
Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009)
Midori no Hibi
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Cowboy Bebop
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 21:47   Link #5
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

OK, here are some recent anime that I recommend:

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) Two male leads are very engaging characters, and this coming-of-age story set in the 1960s is one of the best anime of this year. I highly highly recommend it.

Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers). The main character, Mutta, is trying to realize his childhood dream of becoming an astronaut. The supporting characters are quite good too. The pace is a little slow since it is rumored to have 48+ episodes, but it really tells its story well.

Ano Natsu de Matteru It's a romantic comedy with a sci-fi twist, and it has some really good realistic characters. It was one of the best series of Winter.

Fate/Zero. It has a lot of characters, but the ones that it focuses on are very compeling characters. Kiritsugu is a very complicated guy, and he uses some very unorthodox methods to beat his mage opponents. Saber and Rider both have great moments, and their conflicting philosophies really help the narrative.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 07:45   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Oh! Edo Rocket probably looks like nothing you've ever watched, but it meets your requirements.

I also think you might like Kurenai, but again it's pretty different from what you've watched. The main characters are a sixteen-year-old boy who works as an enforcer, and a seven-year-old girl he is recruited to protect. Still, if you want a show with strongly written characters, the whole cast of this show qualifies.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 11:34   Link #7
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

thanks for all the suggestions! I will look into of them! I heard about some of them but was hesitating. But if you recommend them then I may take a look.

@SeijiSensei: thx for the link but i am not from U.S.A.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2012-07-13 at 11:46.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 14:33   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
@SeijiSensei: thx for the link but i am not from U.S.A.
There are torrents out there for Rocket, too. I just prefer to link to legal sources, though I know that people outside the US may need to follow other routes.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote