AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-05, 12:49   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Codecs for Full Metal Alchemist EP5 Keep-Anbu version?

Tried to load up episode 5 and it's saying that I don't have any codecs installed to play this file. So I checked what codec it was supposed to be using via a problem called "AVIcodec" and it said that I needed "OpenDivx4" and "Mpeg-1 Audio Layer 3 (mp3)" which I'm guessing is just standard MP3, which I know I should be able to play considering I've got full MP3 support, yet the computer doesn't recognize it. Anyone know what this OpenDivx4 is and where I can get it? Also, is this Mp3 audio codec some special version of it? Let me know. Thanks.
Old 2003-11-05, 17:47   Link #2
Animaniac
On leave?

It's the same MP3 audio. Chances are it's not playing because of a video codec problem. It's very difficult to screw up MP3 support. Uninstall any codecs and codec packs you may have and install ffdshow-alpha 20030523.
Old 2003-11-05, 21:28   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well that seems kind of retarded to have to install a special codec pack like that just to watch an episode when Divx and Xvid do perfectly well on their own. *sigh* oh well.

EDIT: Ok, tried playing it on my nix box as well and it just freezes xine. Tried with the newest Divx codec, freezes. AKA every player on every available OS I've had just freezes or won't load it at all, so my guess is the copy I have is somehow horked. So I will just download a fresh copy and see if that fixes it.

EDIT2: Success!! The copy I had WAS corrupt, so after downloading a fresh copy it plays excellent. Thanks!!

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2003-11-06 at 01:22.
Old 2003-11-06, 02:06   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

ffdshow is not a codec pack. It is a decoder designed to play XviD and DivX better than the actual codecs do. Please don't confuse it with a codec pack.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-06, 06:41   Link #5
root
Not REAL root

Hi,

I haven't rebooted to try playing this episode on the M$ operating system. I have the episode hang in aviplay when I tried to scroll. xine didn't give me such a problem, but both players report that it is has header damaged.

xine reports with

header damaged
ffmpeg: error decompressing frame

aviplay reports with

This file was encoded with XviD build 9
header damaged

bittorrent said the file downloaded successfully, and from bittorrent's FAQ:

BitTorrent does cryptographic hashing (SHA1) of all data. When you see "Download succeeded!" you can be sure that BitTorrent has already verified the integrity of the data. The integrity and authenticity of a BitTorrent download is as good as the original request to the tracker. Checking the MD5/CRC32/other hash of a file downloaded via BitTorrent is redundant.

I did do a CRC32 check on the avi file and the CRC32 matched the one listed in the filename. BTW, do you know how the bittorent meta info gets it SHA1 hash? I did a sha1sum on the avi file and it does not match the sha1sum in the meta info of the torrent file.

I am redownloading the avi file just in case, since you mentioned that your fresh copy played fine.

My EDIT now: I still have the same problems as before where it would hang aviplay. I'm guessing it is more of a bug with aviplay (from avifile) than anything. It appears to work in xine. I did a binary compare of my fresh copy and the old one and no differences were found. The CRC32 checked out as well as bittorrent saying that the download succeeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Well that seems kind of retarded to have to install a special codec pack like that just to watch an episode when Divx and Xvid do perfectly well on their own. *sigh* oh well.

EDIT: Ok, tried playing it on my nix box as well and it just freezes xine. Tried with the newest Divx codec, freezes. AKA every player on every available OS I've had just freezes or won't load it at all, so my guess is the copy I have is somehow horked. So I will just download a fresh copy and see if that fixes it.

EDIT2: Success!! The copy I had WAS corrupt, so after downloading a fresh copy it plays excellent. Thanks!!
Old 2003-11-06, 11:52   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, that is odd. More than one person getting a horked version of the same file. Hmm. This must be one of those times when BT just didn't do its job for some reason. Either that or this may be a new bug in the latest version of the BT client that's just now showing up. Thing is, I can't be sure of that since this is the first time I've had a checksum issue with any files off BT. Which probubly means that the encoding of this file probubly was such that it fooled the BT checksum system. Let's hope it remains as a one time thing.
Old 2003-11-06, 15:55   Link #7
root
Not REAL root

I'm quite sure the file(s) I received through bittorrent is not corrupted as bittorrent quoted it as being downloaded successfully on top of which I manually did a crc32 check and a binary compare of the fresh copy with the old copy. The files were the same, the crc32 checked out. It may be an encoding issue that causes a compatibility issue with the player I normally use. It could be that my codecs may be a bit out of date. I just checked...

ii avifile-divx-plugin 0.7.38.2003071 Divx4Linux video encoding plugin
ii libdivxdecore0 5.0.1-1 DivX MPEG-4 Codec - decoder library
ii libdivxencore0 5.0.1-1 DivX MPEG-4 Codec - encoder library

ii avifile-xvid-plugin 0.7.38.2003071 XviD video encoding plugin
ii libxvidcore2 0.9.2-0.3 MPEG-4 Video encoder
ii libxvidencore0 0.9.1-0.2 MPEG-4 Video encoder