AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-09, 05:15   Link #361
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually they seemed to have been working on five plus projects at once (more or less).
They were doing Clannad: After Story and its last OVA, Munto TV as well of the feature length follow on to it, The two Haruhi based Youtube series (Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san), K-ON!, and Haruhi 2009. Plus they were working on the Haruhi feature film as well.
There was a lot of Kyoto Animation that came out in the early part of 2009.
(3 seasons worth of anime series (Munto was 9 episodes and Haruhi 2009 had some new episodes before July), a feature film, and two Web series.)

A lot of that was really good too. Maybe they were stretched a little thin as the art quality slide a little from time to time in Haruhi and K-ON, but a slide by KyoAni standards seems to be coming down to average level artwork for most studios. The Webseries were interesting since they didn't need to be high quality artwork to begin with. Can't say anything about Munto...didn't watch that one. Clannad pretty much won on art and story (or perhaps just the ability to make people cry with only a song that before was considered maybe silly - I still have trouble with Dango Daikazoku).

K-ON pretty much came out of nowhere and didn't get the Lucky Star type division in the community...probably because of the music (which managed to top charts, also unexpectedly).

Endless Eight on the other hand was not at art or animation problem. Take nearly any single episode of Haruhi 2009 and the animation and art are still top notch (there are one or two episodes of Endless Eight that seem off just a bit, though oddly those are claimed to be more in K-ON's style). The trouble seems more meta than artistic.

Now, in 2010, Kyoto Animation has worked on only three projects. The release of the Haruhi feature film (which is awesomely done), K-ON!! would is in progress and while seeming to lack a little in the on screen concert department, is artistically fine (better perhaps than some of the 2009 episodes), and their next known project, Nichijou, which we've yet to see KyoAni's take on. Thus the majority of their work this year is K-ON!! and the quality over quantity shows a little bit...but then again this is Kyoto Animation, the studio that seems to go for feature film quality on a television series, and only lowers itself to actual television quality when they are using quantity, and even then the quality is good.

(KyoAni is not know for its QUALITY...but good art and animation)
Old 2010-08-09, 05:18   Link #362
krko
The Movie is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
they just repeated 7 episodes and edited some minor things and edited some scripts.
While I didn't like endless eight (although I did enjoy watching the RAAGGE), you can't say that E8 was a budget/time saver for KyoAni. Those minor edits you speak of required them to pretty much reanimate the whole episode from scratch. I guess the writing staff didn't have to work as hard but most of the effort in making an episode comes from the animation. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if each of those E8 episodes costs more than an average non-concert episode of K-On S1.

@Ithekro If I'm not mistaken, Munto was a relative failure compared to other KyoAni productions. It probably didn't lose them money but there's a rather huge gap in popularity between it and other KyoAni works. After all, its the only KyoAni show that doesn't have a subforum. At the very least, KyoAni doesn't do well as normally does when it produces more that one TV series a season.

Last edited by krko; 2010-08-09 at 05:35.
Old 2010-08-09, 05:18   Link #363
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
K-ON pretty much came out of nowhere and didn't get the Lucky Star type division in the community...probably because of the music (which managed to top charts, also unexpectedly).
Not much true...especially as I got to know K-ON from Lucky Star.
Old 2010-08-09, 05:33   Link #364
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If I recall, Lucky Star was a sort of love it/hate it anime when it started (Those eight minutes of talking about food didn't help it much the first episode). I like it but I started late in the series (Haruhi cosplay cafe).

K-ON seemed to avoid that love/hate in the anime circles at the start. Aside from the more extreme Haruhiists that felt it was taking away their Haruhi time, but that only lasted a few weeks until actual new episodes of Haruhi were confirmed (KyoAni's marketing staff on the other hand...needs to be a tad less meta/viral about their Haruhi products) and the later haters of things that are popular just because it is popular.
Old 2010-08-09, 09:45   Link #365
Pachael
原作通り

There was even a short period of time when Haruhi was running interference to what was going to be their new cash cow (Keionbu), remember when episodes meant for "S2" were interspersed between the "S1" episodes, and Kyoani knew that?
Old 2010-08-10, 12:03   Link #366
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

So... If the anime and manga are ending at the same time, they're going to skip adapting some manga chapters to anime episodes?
Old 2010-08-10, 12:35   Link #367
Sparvid
*hic*

Ignoring the couple of chapters that they've already skipped, there are 10 manga chapters and 8 anime episodes left (including todays episode). Although I doubt that every chapter that can be summed up with "let's study for the final exams" will get an episode each.
Old 2010-08-10, 13:38   Link #368
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And they have managed to do two in one episodes in the past.

Also there is a chance for an OVA like last time.
Old 2010-08-10, 22:33   Link #369
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Is Ui in any clubs? or does she go home after school? if she goes home she must be really board..
Old 2010-08-10, 23:52   Link #370
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
Is Ui in any clubs? or does she go home after school? if she goes home she must be really board..
I think taking care of Yui requires more time than any club the school can provide :P
She's probably a secret member of the Mio fanclub anyways.

Anyone know why the t-shirt in the latest episode Sawako introduced is different than the one in the manga?
Old 2010-08-12, 00:55   Link #371
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

QUESTION!

Okay I remeber in the first season i think they winked with there right eye, but now they wink with there left eye? So my question is how come they squent when they wink with there left eye (also why did they suddenly change there winking eye?) lol I may be overthinking this but I can Wink with both eyes, but I have its alittle harder to wink with my right eye so ihave to squent alittle,

[/QUOTE]
Old 2010-08-16, 23:28   Link #372
evangeline88
Moe Master

Quote:
I may be overthinking this but I can Wink with both eyes, but I have its alittle harder to wink with my right eye so ihave to squent alittle,
well ... for me, I can wink my left eye easily, but I can't wink my right one ...

I have a question:
Has the valentine chapter in manga been animated? I can't remember any valentine ep ...

Old 2010-08-17, 00:56   Link #373
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not that I recall, though they will have one more Valentine's Day before the girls graduate from High School.
Old 2010-08-17, 01:21   Link #374
evangeline88
Moe Master

So they will mix the 2 valentine day's chapters into 1 ep?

Old 2010-08-17, 04:48   Link #375
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

I think so...

Next Question:
In the first episode of K-ON! they had this "days before Budokan" I think. So, assuming it was true, how many days more? =S (Approximate)
Old 2010-08-17, 07:37   Link #376
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
QUESTION!

Okay I remeber in the first season i think they winked with there right eye, but now they wink with there left eye? So my question is how come they squent when they wink with there left eye (also why did they suddenly change there winking eye?) lol I may be overthinking this but I can Wink with both eyes, but I have its alittle harder to wink with my right eye so ihave to squent alittle,

[/QUOTE]

Many japanese can not wink easily. My wife's version of a wink is to squeeze both eyes shut quickly and then open them wide. The best wink she can muster looks something like Ritsu's eye scrunch. She calls it "one string for both eyes".

I thought it was kind of cute they modeled the effect.
Old 2010-08-17, 12:08   Link #377
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

>:0 thanks for your words of wisdom
Old 2010-08-19, 11:44   Link #378
krko
The Movie is Coming

What role does someone in charge of "Series Composition" do? Asking since I'm kinds curious about K-On's
Old 2010-08-22, 05:28   Link #379
evangeline88
Moe Master

How many kinds of hair clips have yui worn until now?
I just noticed that in the S1 ep1 (04:00), she wore a different hair clip than the usual one ...
Not to mention, the hair clip in the photo of her junior high school's graduation ...

Old 2010-08-22, 05:55   Link #380
TakuanInc.
loves Marisa Kirisame.

Send a message via MSN to TakuanInc. Send a message via Yahoo to TakuanInc.
What major do you think suits Ritsu? She got into the Uni after all...she's the only one I can't figure out.

Tags
q&a