AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-07-18, 13:08   Link #1
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Empty CD-R that are full

I put an empty CD-R in my computer to be burned. Using my cd-burner program i choose the files to be burn and press ok and than it eject my CD-R saying to put a CD-r that is empty because the cd-r that i just put in the drive were full. The problem is that i just bought those CD-R and they all are empty. I'm using Sony CD-R. I tried to burn with the two program that are on my computer, Roxio and Nero, and it doesn't work. Two weeks ago using these program i succesfully burn CD-R with no problem. the only thing that changed is that i reinstalled Norton Internet security...
What is the problem? what could cause it? Can someone help me?
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 14:14   Link #2
Shadowlord
~DESU

there are CD burners out there that will only recognise certain brands of discs, or like specific brands. Your drive could be one.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 15:21   Link #3
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

My problem is that my cd-burner already burned this brand of cd-r before with no problem. Does a certain degree of tolerance exist for cd-burner? they tolerate a brand for 3 month and than they don't tolerate it...
Old 2004-07-18, 15:41   Link #4
Ending

The obvious: check that it IS empty.

Or the less obvious: the file might be bigger than can be fitted to the CD.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 15:43   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Some questions:
What burner model are you using (if possible with Firmware)? (Or rather: How old is the drive?)
Are we talking about standard 700MB Sony CD-Rs here?
Can you burn CD-Rs from other brands without problems? Can other burners burn these CD-Rs?
Did you try uninstalling all burning applications, rebooting and reinstalling Nero (alternatively Roxio, but try it with only one program at first so that we can rule out driver conflicts)?

As of yet, there are too many possibilities of where the problem should lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Or the less obvious: the file might be bigger than can be fitted to the CD.
I thought about that, too, but normally programs like Nero give you other error messages if that's the case.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 17:15   Link #6
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Did you try using another disc from the spindle/pack to burn?

Cause it is possible to get a corrupt disc everyonce in a while....
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 18:25   Link #7
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Did you try using another disc from the spindle/pack to burn?
Cause it is possible to get a corrupt disc everyonce in a while....
Yes and the same error happen. But last week the other cd-r of the pack worked fine.

Quote:
check that it IS empty.
I verified in putting the cd-r in the cd-rom drive

Quote:
the file might be bigger than can be fitted to the CD
and i did verify if the size of the data is less than 700MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
What burner model are you using (if possible with Firmware)? (Or rather: How old is the drive?)
Firmware??????????? What is that?
I bought the computer in 2001 so the drive may be 2 and a half year old, but some file on my computer dated from july 2001 and i bought it in december 2001...!?

Quote:
Are we talking about standard 700MB Sony CD-Rs here?
I use 700MB CD Recordable High Speed from Sony (1x-48x speed compatible)

Quote:
Can you burn CD-Rs from other brands without problems?
I only use three brand Imation, Maxell and Sony, they all worked since friday 16th.

Quote:
Can other burners burn these CD-Rs?
I don't know. i will contact my friend monday to try these cd on her cd-burner.

Quote:
Did you try uninstalling all burning applications, rebooting and reinstalling Nero (alternatively Roxio, but try it with only one program at first so that we can rule out driver conflicts)?
This i didn't try, maybe i should... T_T
Old 2004-07-18, 18:29   Link #8
Ending

Well, if it had worked fine before, you computer is clean and malware free, I cannot think anything else but driver conflict or corruption. Personally, I wouldn't start playing with the firmware, as the companies will not replace the drive if something goes wrong (besides, like you said; the drive has worked fine until now).

Maybe it has died out, who knows. 50 bucks of a new one (get Asus ).
Old 2004-07-18, 18:36   Link #9
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Maybe it has died out, who knows. 50 bucks of a new one (get Asus ).
Died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Incinaration or burrial
Only 50 bucks...oh...wait is it in US dollars? i live in Canada it may be 80$ or so.
(or are you talking about Finland dollars),
OMG i got my university to pay

I'll try remove and re-install and see what happen.
Old 2004-07-18, 18:49   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
Firmware??????????? What is that?
I bought the computer in 2001 so the drive may be 2 and a half year old, but some file on my computer dated from july 2001 and i bought it in december 2001...!?
Well, at least tell us the manufacturer and the model of the drive. If you don't know them, follow these steps. Look under CD/DVD Devices instead.

Quote:
I only use three brand Imation, Maxell and Sony, they all worked since friday 16th.
Does that mean that all three brands do not work or didn't you test that yet?

Quote:
This i didn't try, maybe i should... T_T
That would be the best thing to do, and if that does not work, check the CD-Rs on another PC or try other brands.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't start playing with the firmware, as the companies will not replace the drive if something goes wrong (besides, like you said; the drive has worked fine until now).
Knowing the firmware of a burner is sometimes essential since the same drive can behave differently just because they have different firmwares. It also helps googling if you know more about the drive.

Sidenote: I do not recommend upgrading firmwares if they don't provide any gain/bugfixes myself but I do make an exception about my Lite-On DVD-Burner since the Lite-On firmwares allow me to burn and read discs etc. Although restoring a dead drive is not really hard, I did not ask Yogo_Pogo to update the driver's firmware once, now did I? You are jumping to conclusion here
Old 2004-07-18, 20:25   Link #11
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

All the three brand that I mention worked when I used them. But if your question is about if I tried these to verify why the Sony brand don't work the answer is no. To try these brands I will have to go buy them even if i have empty cd that are not used. It frustrate me a lot to buy something and realise that it doesn't work.

I remove and re-install Roxio, the same error occurred. I could not reinstall NERO because I downloaded it from Kazaa a year ago (and deleted the installer to show how idiot I’m am )

I don’t know what is firmware so I can’t verify anything about it. But I did verify the other thing with the “sysdm.cpl”. My computer is installed in French, here are the information that I think you asked:

PHILIPS CDD4851 CD-R/RW
Fournisseur du pilote: Microsoft
Date du pilote : 2001-07-01
Version du pilote : 5.1.2535.0
Old 2004-07-19, 01:40   Link #12
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
After reading this tedious post...
I must say your drive is DEAD. We've drained the possibilities unless you want to try and reinstall your OS.

My 2x DVD burner died like a month ago too
I have 8x now for a cheaper price than the 2x back then
AOforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 06:11   Link #13
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Re-install all the computer!
I f my burner doesn't want to burn my data ( that i want to keep or else i won't have posted the problem here) i won't do it. Why buying a computer for realising it wont even last 3 complete years! It cost me 2000$ why should i waste all this money on a shit like this
Old 2004-07-19, 06:46   Link #14
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Re-install all the computer!
I f my burner doesn't want to burn my data ( that i want to keep or else i won't have posted the problem here) i won't do it. Why buying a computer for realising it wont even last 3 complete years! It cost me 2000$ why should i waste all this money on a shit like this
I guess he meant reinstalling the OS (Windows etc) and not buying a complete new system.
BTW: CD-Burners you are using often are the first to break anyway, and 3 years is pretty decent for the CD-RW. Moreover, you can use this opportunity to updgrade to a DVD burner - I'd recommend the Lite On LDW-851S, I paid about 70€ for it (8xDVD+R, 4xDVD+RW, 4xDVD-R, 2xDVD-R, 40xCD-R); Lite On's are pretty cheap but have provide great quality (I must know, it's my third Lite On drive now).

Just a final test before you buy a new piece of hardware though:
If you can, remove the CD burner and install it into a PC that's known to work with Nero or other burn applications. If it does not work there, it's most likely dead.
Old 2004-07-19, 07:12   Link #15
Ending

Quote:
Only 50 bucks...oh...wait is it in US dollars? i live in Canada it may be 80$ or so.
Actually, European "Euros" -did you really think we would use dollars here?

Just check the device manager that there aren't any problems.
Old 2004-07-19, 08:03   Link #16
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
Quote:
Lite On's are pretty cheap but have provide great quality (I must know, it's my third Lite On drive now).
Third one already? What happened to the previous two? Did they "die"?

The quality sounds pretty bad.

My NEC CD Burner that came with my system is still working great after, let's see, 2000 disks?

But I decided to get a dual-format HP DVD Burner (can do + and -) when it
was on sale. I figure 1 DVD can store 6 CD's worth of data (700MB * 6 = 4.2GB)
and the media is only 2x as expensive where I am.

The space saving alone is worth the price. No more piles of CD's laying around!
Old 2004-07-19, 09:31   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentZ
Third one already? What happened to the previous two? Did they "die"?

The quality sounds pretty bad.
No, not one of them died. The CD-ROM drive is still installed and works and the old burner still does it's job but it got replaced by the newer DVD-Burner. (It's now installed in my sister's PC)

Seems as if you thought there was sarcasm in the quote above whereas there wasn't
Old 2004-07-19, 21:12   Link #18
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

What are the best CD Burner and DVD Burner?
I want to know the names and the price ( write the divise so i can convert it in CAN dollars). Don't forget the fact that i'm not an expert in computer and all.
I want the best quality possible so i won't be obligated to replace it in three years.
Since i'll have enough money only on september, i'm open to suggestion, lots of them...

Spoiler for Frustrated girl territory To read at your own risk:

My Cd-burner really lasted only two years of hard work ( Yogo_Pogo takes her cd-burner and opens the window and throw it in the nearby dumpster).

Quote:
I guess he meant reinstalling the OS (Windows etc) and not buying a complete new system.
I know. i was just complaining about the fact that the price was too high for the product to malfunction this early, i only burned 250 cd(estimation) for god sake!
Guess i'll get out of here before releasing to much of my anger.

Last edited by Yogo_Pogo; 2004-07-19 at 21:26.