AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-07, 08:12   Link #41
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

This is probably the first of the series that I have little interest in as something about it just doesn't seem right so far plus no ironside is kind of a big kicker as he IS the character of same fisher.

I liked conviction and enjoyed it a lot but I from the E3 coverage this new outing looks to be a lot more action orientated with some boarderline sci-fi thrown in for whatever reason.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 08:31   Link #42
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I liked conviction and enjoyed it a lot but I from the E3 coverage this new outing looks to be a lot more action orientated with some boarderline sci-fi thrown in for whatever reason.
If you liked conviction this one honestly doesn't seem all that different, most of the key mechanics from there seems to stay intact here from what i noticed. Because it was a big press event, they obviously wanted to show the improved gunplay and action in the demo, but otherwise the stealth, like conviction, is there.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 08:43   Link #43
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
If you liked conviction this one honestly doesn't seem all that different, most of the key mechanics from there seems to stay intact here from what i noticed. Because it was a big press event, they obviously wanted to show the improved gunplay and action in the demo, but otherwise the stealth, like conviction, is there.
Correct; feel free to take a look at this Gamespot demo, wherein the dev rep not only explains that yes, there is plenty of opportunity for stealthy players, but the asymmetrical Spies vs. Mercs will be returning. Anyone remember that presentation of Deus Ex: HR where they played through a portion of a level three different times, each with a different focus (action, stealth, exploration)? Ubisoft would be wise to put out something like that to reassure old-school SC players that yes, their beloved stealth mechanics (like the sticky shocker) are here.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 11:41   Link #44
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

One of the things I and I'm sure many others loved about the older games was that they where slow paced, brick hard and made (or should I say forced) you to really want to avoid combat altogether and only rarely ever fire a shot if at all and getting in and out without anyone ever knowing you where even there was a real rewarding experience for me.

While I did enjoy conviction I disliked the sections of the game that forced you into combat but they where acceptable because they fit with renegade position of Sam within the plot but sadly what was on show at E3 looks to be much the same but now with air-strikes and such no less.

Aside from the that as mentioned there are other things about it that put me off too but that said I'll keep an eye on it as it progresses.

Old 2012-06-08, 12:15   Link #45
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Feels more like Conviction than, say, Chaos Theory.
Old 2012-06-28, 14:19   Link #46
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Remember what I said about it being a good idea for Ubisoft to show 'stealth' and 'action' playthroughs of a given mission 'side by side'? The folks at Arkane just did this for Dishonored; you can find both videos in this GameInformer article.

Oh, and you chaps who're wondering if a zero-kill playthrough is possible? It is (it's explicitly noted in the stealth video that each HVT can be disposed of without killing them).
Old 2012-06-28, 17:45   Link #47
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Thats only for the HVT's though not every other enemy, they pretty much done away with the zero-kill play through option with conviction.

Old 2012-06-28, 18:13   Link #48
Firefly00

Quote:
Thats only for the HVT's though not every other enemy, they pretty much done away with the zero-kill play through option with conviction.
The removal of non-lethal options is one of Conviction's odder design decisions. They worked, they gave players (and developers) options; what was the problem? Hopefully they're among the list of things making a return in Blacklist... and on this note, I hope the new Hitman game doesn't make the same mistake.
Old 2012-06-28, 19:41   Link #49
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

No it wasn't in conviction because as I mentioned before it fit within the confines of the plot given sam's position (renegade lone wolf, little to no support or intel, known to the enemy, etc) but would it have killed them to have looked back to the grass roots of what made splintercell so great instead of trying to "broaden" the games appeal by pandering to the shooter market.

Old 2012-06-28, 20:54   Link #50
Firefly00

Quote:
No it wasn't in conviction because as I mentioned before it fit within the confines of the plot given sam's position (renegade lone wolf, little to no support or intel, known to the enemy, etc)...
While I'm not sure we'll agree on this rationalization working for the single-player campaign, we might be unanimous in believing that it just plain does not work for the other parts of the game.
Old 2012-08-31, 17:00   Link #51
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Remember what I said about it being a good idea for Ubisoft to show 'stealth' and 'action' playthroughs of a given mission 'side by side'?
Now see how that same demo is ghosted...

Old 2013-03-21, 16:11   Link #52
Firefly00

A while ago, I had wondered why Ubisoft hadn't put out a video which shows the different ways a given level (or portion thereof) can be tackled. This has been rectified.

Old 2013-03-23, 07:52   Link #53
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
I like what I see
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 08:07   Link #54
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Why did Splinter Cell become Alpha Protocol.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 08:20   Link #55
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why did Splinter Cell become Alpha Protocol.
I don't see the connection
Old 2013-03-23, 09:34   Link #56
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't see the connection
I played every single of the Splinter Cell series, and I must say, it is certainly one the few non-RTS games I like outside of Resident Evil, MGS and good ol' Syphon Filter. Gears of War sucked.

Alpha Protocol had a great concept, but the game was clunky and too simple. I would prefer Splinter Cell to be the "tear your hair out because you got detected" and "OCD no detection 100% achievement" style of game, as compared to other third persons out there.

Storming the room Assault style doesn't seem quite like Sam Fisher to me. Think I'll stick to Panther or Ghost.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 16:25   Link #57
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Old 2013-05-02, 13:49   Link #58
Firefly00

Lads, lasses, and larvae... behold, Blacklist's Spies vs. Mercs reveal trailer.

It looks like they've remember everything that made this mode fun in its prior incarnations; of course, the actual proof will be in the gameplay... of which GameSpot has some, along with initial impressions (link). Also, IGN has their own observations to share.

Most noted is that SvM will have two flavors: classic, and Blacklist; the latter seems to be distinct due to a doubled player count (4v4) and Conviction-style character customization.

Last edited by Firefly00; 2013-05-07 at 15:12. Reason: New relevant content
Old 2013-07-18, 22:55   Link #59
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sam's monologue... It sounds... Really cheesy And not the good kind.
Old 2013-07-23, 06:07   Link #60
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So... who hopes they'll actually let us play the final scene of Conviction where Sam comes to the rescue?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote