AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-13, 00:33   Link #1
HmR.kS

Bloody Monday

Takagi Fujimaru is Falcon; a young, talented hacker who was employed to work for the government after getting caught. Fujimaru now hacks for the police force of Japan and has helped solved many cases.

It was then that a piece of memory chip was recovered from inside a murdered Russian man’s corpse. Inside it contains what might be a clue to a massive terrorist attack that just occurred in Russia. Falcon was sought in order to decipher the codes and reveal what is hidden in the chip. However, things were not going smoothly for Falcon. Not only was he not able to progress on the deciphering of the chip because his new teacher, Ms. Orihara, accidentally destroyed his super-computer laptop, his father was framed for killing another police officer and is now on the run.

When the deciphering of the chip was finally completed, it turned out to be a home-made video, filmed in Russia during Christmas and titled “Genocide of Christmas” in Russian. It showed a little girl who had blood oozing out of her eyes before a man with his whole body full of pores appearing. A display of the virus’s fatality. Fujimaru made another shocking discovery when he analyzed the video further. A familiar Japanese woman was spotted in the video and it turned out to be none other than his new teacher… Orihara Maya. When confronted, Maya had a solid alibi to prove she was in Japan, and not in Russia on the day of Christmas. Is this purely a coincidence or … is there more than what it seems?

This is a fascinating suspense manga that I think is receiving lesser popularity than it should. I really think this manga should be exposed more and that’s also why I didn’t want to do anything (e.g. a crappy review) that will undermine its popularity. This manga has a deep plot and it is the very reason why I am so interested in it. I just can’t wait for the next volume, Kinokuniya should hurry up and import volume 4, god dammit! And I just discovered that this title has only 5 volumes, if I am not wrong. Oh man, I didn’t think it would end so early.

Humor: 3/10 (Terrorist, virus, blood are no laughing matters, my friend)
Plot: 9/10 (The reason why I can’t let it down once I star reading it)
Character Design: 6/10
Overall: 9/10 (You’d be a fool not to read it)

This manga review is proudly brought to you by ChapterDesu.Com!

Last edited by HmR.kS; 2008-09-15 at 23:21.
Old 2009-03-04, 13:16   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Bloody Monday

Author by Ryuumon Ryou
Illustrator by Megumi Kouji

Genre: Action, Mystery, Thriller

Quote:
Bloody Monday is an action, mystery thriller set it present Japan. The protagonist, Fujimaru Takagi, is a 2nd year High School student who unknown to his friends is the infamous Vigilante "Falcon", the greatest hacker in the world who uses his skills to expose the crimes of the evil and the corrupt by hacking into their computers. He also works with his father, an agent of a secret government agency that protects Japan.

When his father is accuses of murdering his boss, he uncovers it is related to a secret video file his father gave him, which reveals a secret massacre in Russia by deadly virus call Bloody Monday by an unknown terrorist group. With the help of his friends and his father's colleagues, can he stop the terrorists before the virus hits Japan? And how is his new teacher, Maya Orihara related to this?
So far, i like this series. It's like Death Note except, the protagonist doesn't kill the corrupt, he exposes their crimes to world and the guy is more likable than Light and he doesn't have the latter's God Complex(Which i hated Light for becoming corrupt). Also he uses his brain and tech skills to outsmart his foes. So far 9 Volumes have been release and a live TV Adaptation aired last year. And good news for those who live near Singapore, Chuang Yi has licensed the series so expect them to release the series soon.

Here's some links:
Chaung Yi announcement.
More Info about the series.
Old 2009-03-24, 15:21   Link #3
CygnusX

Read the first 2 volumes.

Art is nice, plot ok. I like where it's headed, seems like a big conspiracy to make the famous hacker take (part of) the blame for it.

Though it the story doesn't really gives me the urge to read on, not sure why though... the most annoying maybe be the credibility for some events ....

- A famous hacker which all of a sudden reveals his secrets to not just one or 2, but to a whole group of people which consists of some friends + some people he just met for example a beautiful teacher who "coïncidently" joined the school at about the same time his dad gets set up and "accidently" mistakes his laptop for a lunch box and fries it in the micro wave ...................

- His teacher returns him a new laptop with a dual core processor and the hacker seems to scream of joy .... his previous laptop was a super pc give to him by a secret organisation .... so

- Giving his only copy of the "bloody monday" dvd to a detective cos he "didn't have the time to copy it" .... yeah right :s

I could go on .... but ... yeah ... pretty much incredible naïve events happening, which ruins the story a bit.

Though if u can look past that, the plot itself it nice and I'm looking forward to how it will evolve.
Old 2009-03-24, 15:33   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I had come across this live action back in January I was intrigued by the plot . As I had too many anime/ manga at that point of time I gave it a skip . I liked the synopsis of the manga but I have a few questions which are more so directed towards a comparison .

Spoiler for LVA Oriented:
Old 2009-03-24, 19:20   Link #5
Dansickle
Needs more T-Pain
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Dansickle
Was an interesting manga when I worked on it for the first few chapters, although the fanservice provided by the teacher is a bit overbearing at times. Definitely a manga I would recommend keeping up with if you like the mystery/action side of things.

I do agree that there are a number of large plot holes, but I guess I'm just so desensitized by them due to their prevalence in stories written today (manga, books, movies, TV, etc) that I just let them slide for the most part and enjoy the ride.

Now Playing:
Goal Line Blitz, Starcraft (entering iCCup season 9)

(Largely) Retired:
DotA, Madden '09, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Melty Blood, CS1.6, CS:S, Diablo 2, Warcraft III, Guild Wars, DAoC, Warhammer Online, Left4Dead, TF2, Halo 1
Old 2009-07-17, 02:34   Link #6
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well the plot got more interesting. I love the plot twists of this manga!
Old 2009-07-18, 23:35   Link #7
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Things are interesting as...

Spoiler for Latter spoilers:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-07-19, 19:58   Link #8
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Currently I'm into volume 4, and so far it's been quite interesting with some thrills. The protagonist isn't what I normally would expect of a superhacker, as he's right where the action is rather than commanding control from behind the scenes. Since many people compare this to Death Note, I have one of my own.

First off, the comparison between Falcon and Light. Although Falcon appears to have better technical ability and skills, Light is by far a better strategist and is generally more intelligent. This is based on what's been demonstrated in what I've read thus far. Falcon's interpersonal awareness hasn't been anything that can be commended upon, because he's been thoroughly played. Also, he's not as calm or observant in vital situations. This as opposed to Light, who's been on the opposite end giving his opponents a hard time. I guess the differences between them is in part due to age/maturity and part due to the difference in their situation that could possibly make my points invalid. But all in all, Light makes better work with what he's got.

Anyways, the plot is what makes this manga, and I'm most likely going to follow through with it. =)
Old 2009-07-19, 23:37   Link #9
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
I liked reading this, am glad that I tried it when it was new. Although the updates died for a few months but now it's picking up.
Old 2009-07-20, 12:40   Link #10
Solecs

I felt the need to complain about this a bit, since the last few chapters I've been able to read have been really annoying. I just feel like the main character turned into an idiot at the point where they reveal the spy or what have you. He keeps going on and on about how he's not afraid to be killed and that he won't work with terrorists. Then he does whatever they say anyway. He's just getting played big time, and I thought he was pretty bright for a while there after catching the teacher and figuring out who the spy was.

Overall the plot isn't so bad, just everything they do to advance it seems really dumb. CygnusX pointed out a lot of the inconsistencies that have cropped up before. I'm still interested in what the over-arching plot is though, so I'll keep going with it for now. Hopefully they start making more sense in the future :-/.
Old 2009-07-20, 18:00   Link #11
gameboy234

Seem that the pretty and big breast women are ..
Old 2009-07-24, 05:52   Link #12
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy234 View Post
Seem that the pretty and big breast women are ..
Lesbians?

Just kidding. Anyway looks like the hero got a plan to save his sister.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:21   Link #13
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Looks like Hosho revealed why she became a traitor...

Spoiler for Reason:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-07-24, 15:14   Link #14
Solecs

Which means there will be the inevitable guilt trip of how she's going to put the sister (I forget her name) through the same thing.

Also, how were they not at all suspicious of the guy they found in the factory? They didn't even bother searching him for weapons, come on now .
Old 2009-07-24, 16:34   Link #15
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Which means there will be the inevitable guilt trip of how she's going to put the sister (I forget her name) through the same thing.

Also, how were they not at all suspicious of the guy they found in the factory? They didn't even bother searching him for weapons, come on now .
Don't know about the guilt trip mate. (That's probably me)

Spoiler for Read Hosho's fate later in the Japanese ones. Don't go here if yo want to get spoiled.:

Old 2009-07-24, 16:58   Link #16
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

Spoiler for Read Hosho's fate later in the Japanese ones. Don't go here if yo want to get spoiled.:
manga and anime villains are so naive. Falcon has caused so much trouble for them and they still let the punk live. Unreal! I could be such a good villain if I had the resources and networking. I will just kill kill kill anyone that got on the way without a second thought, just like real life villains do.
Old 2009-07-24, 20:14   Link #17
Marion
The Great Dine

Oihara is a good villain but at the same time...meh not so much XD Every time Falcon does something she basically goes "Holy crap, I didn't think he could do THAT".

Spoiler for Spoilers for Oihara, translated:
Old 2009-07-24, 23:45   Link #18
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

She had a twinge of uncertainty/regret there, I'd say. Though I guess it wasn't a full on guilt trip.

Spoiler for observations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
manga and anime villains are so naive. Falcon has caused so much trouble for them and they still let the punk live. Unreal! I could be such a good villain if I had the resources and networking. I will just kill kill kill anyone that got on the way without a second thought, just like real life villains do.
Yeah, but then the good guys would never win .
Old 2009-07-25, 00:50   Link #19
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
She had a twinge of uncertainty/regret there, I'd say. Though I guess it wasn't a full on guilt trip.

Spoiler for observations:
I'm pretty sure that's one of the Third-I agents congratulating her since...

Spoiler for stuff:

Old 2009-07-29, 01:58   Link #20
gameboy234

Spoiler for Question on plot:
Closed Thread