AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-19, 13:51   Link #1461
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 14:06   Link #1462
Candyshark

Well there will be love trianlge for sure. Yuuta does not even sees Rikka as a girl compaed to Shinka. She is obnoxious child for him. That is where all abuse and harsh words come from. Judging from words of his fellow during cheerleader event Rikka is considered as very pretty girl among his classmates and not shuned for her oddball activities. And why would he not be interested in a beautiful, nice, sweet girl like Shinka. He is an adolescent boy after all. If Shinka suffers from same desease it will destroy the illusion and give both girls a more or less equal headstart.

I don't see Yuuta reverting back to his "glory days" so it is either for Rikka to find other form to express her fantasies or Yuuta finds the way to cure Rikka.

I am not conviced that book may be only motivation of Shinka to join club.

P.S. Strangely I find Touka's appearance is closest thing to chuunis. Pitchblack hair, RED eyes, neck collar, which I always associated with MS dominas, punk/rocky chicks or simply bad fashion taste.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 14:07   Link #1463
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
So far up to this episode, Yuuta is sympathetic toward Rikka since he's a former chu2byo but nothing romantic as of yet, but when it comes to Shinka, Yuuta only likes her because of her model student persona which may not be her true self as hinted by many posts in this thread. Until we learn more about Shinka character beyond her perfect exterior (chu2byo or not doesn’t matter) and whether she has feelings for Yuuta, I will withhold my judgment whether the pair is worth routing or not.
Yuuta is attracted to Shinka because she's attractive. The first time they met was before school, so Yuuta had no idea she would be as popular as she is. They met, they made small talk, and they got along with one another. It's as simple as that.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 14:10   Link #1464
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

let's hope this doesnt end like nisekoi

Old 2012-10-19, 14:38   Link #1465
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm not sure it has been mentioned recently that the title of the show means: "I'm chuunibyou, but I still want to make love." ("Make love" in the sense of being in love with someone and acting loving toward them and with them, not necessarily of anything physical.)
I'll translate it as "I'm chuunibyou but I still want to fall in love".

Anyway I think the rest of the story is obviously going to be Yuuta finding Rikka more important to him than he realise (and he will accept that chuunibyou is part of him) while him also finding Shinka will turn out to be not the love of his dreams, if it's going to be anything different to this I'll be REALLY surprised.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 15:11   Link #1466
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
I'm getting the feeling Yuuta is really a jerk.
Finally! Another voice of reason! Could it be that you and I are the only ones that do not like the abuse Rikka suffers from Yuuta???

Quote:
Not only does he take the liberty to chop Rikka (and other forms of abuse stemming from his over-reactions), he waited til the end of the evening to drop the "no" bomb. He could have at least added his name for the sake of making up the requisite number of people to form the club.
He could have, but he's only a nice guy when it's convenient or advantageouos for himNow he'll probably join the club, since he has the hots for Shinka.

Quote:
Now he'll probably join the club, since he has the hots for Shinka. That's just annoying, seeing as how Rikka asked him for help.
Yup, now there's something in it for himself (or so he sees it).

Quote:
I would have thought Yuuta would be more sympathetic to Rikka's chunibyou, since he had been there before.
Here you're mistaking him for a nice guy.

Quote:
I just can't understand why Rikka keeps sticking to him. Yes, she thought his chunibyou state was cool, but is there more she sees in him?
Love is blind, even if you have a magical eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Part of the answer is that Yuuta sees too much of his recent 'former' self in Rikka, and as such cannot possibly be at peace with Rikka's antics as he isn't at peace with himself. His own mental self-berate would be no less than his revulsion towards Rikka. Such as human nature. Yuuta after all is only adolescent...
No doubt this is a good analysis of that part of the answer, but what part of the answer give Yuuta the right to abuse Rikka, as well as to demean her words and actions to her classmates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Let's be honest: how do you actually drill some sense to Rikka without abuse? Really, it hardly looks like it is possible to make things clear with words alone with her, as her chuuni is borderline 100% permanent. And it isn't like Yuuta punches her or anything.
So it's okay for a guy to tie up some girl that he's never met by her hair to a bedpost? It's okay for a guy to physically abuse a girl just because he doesn't like what she says or does? And it sure seems to me like some of the things he does actually hurt her (she says as much).

In the first half of episode 3 Yuuta smacks Rikka on the head four times, and none of those times warranted him abusing her. The first time he smacked her, she was only responding to a remark he made, and not even in her "Chuunibyou mode." The second time he smacks her it's because she says he can be president of the club. The third time he smacks her is because he doesn't like what she's saying to Kumin (and judging by the sound effects, it musta hurt). And the fourth time he smacks her is after her very impressive battle on the stage, and he also tells her to "Cut it out" (nobody else seemed bothered by her performance, indeed, they seemed impressed). What right does he have to keep smacking her on the head? What right does he have to boss her around?

Yup, he's a jerk in more ways than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how Yuuta gradually transfers his affection from Shinka to Rikka.
Reminds me of another anime where the two MCs were initially interested in other people, but ended up falling in love with each other instead. Although it was the female in that anime who was the abusive one. But would that make Yuuta stop abusing Rikka would be my big question?

Quote:
And I suspect (hope?) that Shinka may be, not a recovered chuunibyou "sufferer," but a current sufferer under deep cover.
Oh, how amusing it would be to see Yuuta's devastated reaction when he found out! But would he then abuse Shinka like he does Rikka? Doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I don't view Yuuta's treatment of Rikka as abusing but rather showing a very intimate relationship. It is to the point that Tsuyuri mistook them as childhood friends last episodes. I believe that the real closed friends are those that troll each other all the time. They are too closed to be bothered by such actions.
Now that's a pretty interesting view of the situation. But, they're not close friends. Their relationship isn't intimate. Yuuta would rather have absolutely nothing to do with Rikka. He doesn't smack her in the head because he likes her or because he considers her a friend, rather, he does it because he wants her to shut up or stop doing whatever she's doing.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 15:16   Link #1467
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
I'll translate it as "I'm chuunibyou but I still want to fall in love".
And to continue this pattern, I've translated it as She has Chuunibyou, But I Want to Love Her! after reading the novel this is based on. (Incidentally, TAN has retranslated the title as Love, Chuunibyou, & Other Delusions, but given they've used the second novel's synopsis for the anime, their validity leaves much to be desired)

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 15:49   Link #1468
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Perhaps she trains with an ever-uppity delivery girl at work ?
Bingo. Someone got what I was aiming at.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 16:22   Link #1469
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Given the title and the fact that we "see" them holding hands at the end of the OP, the romance between Yuuta and Rikka is a given. I was refering to the "harem" elements that Unknown Soldier said were present in a "show like this."

A cast that is skewed more towards females does not mean it is a harem; it simply means there are more females in the cast than males. The focal point of a harem is that the main female cast have romantic feelings for Yuuta. Only Rikka and perhaps Nibutani (as I stated) have these feelings.
You're right, and I really hope the show continues on this track. Love triangles are okay--but I really do find harem shows insufferable.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 16:38   Link #1470
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Now that's a pretty interesting view of the situation. But, they're not close friends. Their relationship isn't intimate. Yuuta would rather have absolutely nothing to do with Rikka. He doesn't smack her in the head because he likes her or because he considers her a friend, rather, he does it because he wants her to shut up or stop doing whatever she's doing.
I agree that their relationship is not intimate, but I find it difficult to believe that a guy who would rather have nothing to do with a person would follow her around clubs and agree to take in a take cat given by her.

A person who would rather have nothing to do with another person would leave her alone.

Yuuta may not like Rikka, but there's no doubt he felt some obligation towards her from the beginning of the series.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 17:43   Link #1471
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Finally! Another voice of reason! Could it be that you and I are the only ones that do not like the abuse Rikka suffers from Yuuta???
I don't get it, What's not to like?

Quote:
No doubt this is a good analysis of that part of the answer, but what part of the answer give Yuuta the right to abuse Rikka, as well as to demean her words and actions to her classmates?

So it's okay for a guy to tie up some girl that he's never met by her hair to a bedpost? It's okay for a guy to physically abuse a girl just because he doesn't like what she says or does? And it sure seems to me like some of the things he does actually hurt her (she says as much).

I was unaware you needed a reason to smack idiots.... as long as you don't leave a mark of course.

Plus don't get all righteous on us, if they were guys instead of cute girls we wouldn't be hearing this.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-10-19 at 18:08.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 17:57   Link #1472
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
When people become an ex-whatever there can be a strong desire on their parts to stop other people from going down the same "wrong path" that they did.

I see a lot of that in Yuuta - A fierce shame and loathing over what he used to be, and hence a deep exasperation at what Rikka is like now.

Yuuta has so deeply rejected the person he used to be, that every time a person even just plays along with Rikka he gets seriously put-off by it. I could just feel Yuuta's world crumbling down as the widely respected and popular Shinka now wants to join Rikka's club as well. No doubt the world has gone mad, and completely topsy-turvy, in Yuuta's eyes.

It's going to be interesting to see how Yuuta reacts to this next episode. If he reflects much on it at all, he'll certainly realize that it would now actually hurt his social life if he keeps up a strict anti-Chunnibyou approach given how all of these cute girls are totally embracing it. His whole rationale for rejecting Chunnibyou has been completely turned on its head.

Basically, Yuuta has a choice between the entirety of his potential 4-girl harem and continuing to totally reject Chunnibyou. As much as a man may value his sanity, I think most hot-blooded men would value something a bit more here.

My guess is that Yuuta will slowly - Very, very slowly (Kyon/Oreki-esque) - be won over by the sheer bubbly weight of the cute girls pushing him to play along with Rikka. And then, like Kyon/Oreki, he'll start to find himself surprisingly enjoying it, almost in spite of himself.

This will probably take awhile, but I do think it'll eventually happen.

As for shipping wars, I'm going to wait and see on that. Right now, I think that Yuuta likes Shinka, Shinka likes Yuuta, and Rikka really likes Yuuta (I honestly feel a bit sorry for Rikka; she's really going through a heck of a lot to try to win this guy over).

Anyway, Episode 3 was another pretty fun watch. Bolo-hair girl was certainly something else. She really rounds out this cast well!
Old 2012-10-19, 18:15   Link #1473
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I agree that their relationship is not intimate, but I find it difficult to believe that a guy who would rather have nothing to do with a person would follow her around clubs and agree to take in a take cat given by her.

A person who would rather have nothing to do with another person would leave her alone.

Yuuta may not like Rikka, but there's no doubt he felt some obligation towards her from the beginning of the series.
I honestly think that Yuuta is quite attracted to her. He just can’t truly express it well because of his Tsundere-ish nature/his desperate attempt to distance himself from his embarrassing past. He’s had several chances to ditch her and otherwise ignore her existence, yet he can’t quite quit her. From helping her move the luggage, keeping the sword, keeping the cat…(though that may be due to some blackmail), keeping her company at lunch, meeting her after school, helping her recruit for her club, sticking with her through her (hilarious) improv session, cleaning up that club room, and even joining the club. Those are all the various acts that indicating slight attraction towards her. If he was anything more than mortified and mildly annoyed by the behaviors he witnesses, I doubt he would have stuck around, because I think he’s past any point of social obligation by now. Maybe the key things you’re looking for is for him to actually call her ‘Rikka’, and a definite commitment to her romance route? To me it looks like its going to play out as a Kyon/Haruhi vs Kyon/Mikuru sort of deal. Time will tell.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 18:22   Link #1474
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I honestly think that Yuuta is quite attracted to her. He just can’t truly express it well because of his Tsundere-ish nature/his desperate attempt to distance himself from his embarrassing past. He’s had several chances to ditch her and otherwise ignore her existence, yet he can’t quite quit her. From helping her move the luggage, keeping the sword, keeping the cat…(though that may be due to some blackmail), keeping her company at lunch, meeting her after school, helping her recruit for her club, sticking with her through her (hilarious) improv session, cleaning up that club room, and even joining the club. Those are all the various acts that indicating slight attraction towards her. If he was anything more than mortified and mildly annoyed by the behaviors he witnesses, I doubt he would have stuck around, because I think he’s past any point of social obligation by now. Maybe the key things you’re looking for is for him to actually call her ‘Rikka’, and a definite commitment to her romance route? To me it looks like its going to play out as a Kyon/Haruhi vs Kyon/Mikuru sort of deal. Time will tell.

Hmmm, to say he's attracted to her is a stretch at this point; Yuuta is more like a big softie who can't just abandon a puppy in need.

In a way he feels sorry for Rikka because she's lonely. Sort of like how people who used to be ostracized, would feel bad for those that can currently being left out and who get them to join in.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 18:48   Link #1475
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Meanwhile on other news

Official English title for Chunibyo Demo Koi Ga Shitai: Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions.

what?

Old 2012-10-19, 19:12   Link #1476
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I like it.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 19:14   Link #1477
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
What? I wonder how japanese actually works, since it always has wide range of meanings when translated into other languages.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 19:20   Link #1478
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I don't get why "other delusions" was ever implemented, as it is really not the same as chuuni (in fact, it is at least a good thing they didn't translate chuuni as "delusional").
And color me surprised they already have a edited logo for the series already.
Old 2012-10-19, 19:39   Link #1479
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I have to look up the definition of "intimate" again because I think I might use that incorrectly. I will stand by my opinion though that I don't view Yuuta's action as abusing but showing how close they are. As saying goes, the opposite of love is not hate but indifference. The fact that he still stick around to complain shows that he actually cares. I mean, if someone annoy me I'll just leave him/her alone. Only the closest of friends will get a kick and a "dude, just shut up" from me.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 19:42   Link #1480
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Mentioned this in my post earlier, but it bears repeating. Sentai/TAN have used the second novel's synopsis in their advertising of this series. Personally, I believe they do not know the full story of the anime and tried to make up a catchy name similar to Love, Election, and Chocolate to capture a similar impact.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen