AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Eclipse - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 4 7.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 33.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 14.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.85%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-20, 02:10   Link #41
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Its a good episode but its painstakingly hard to watch -_- they really took time on that harassment with Inia and Cryska and Yuuya sure take his time for entering. "Hero always come late?"

I don't know Yui anymore or rather its from the past episode but from this point on I completely forgot that she is the strict type of a commander. She is completely tame now > __ > and stupid brats without discipline and they are in front lines. I fear for the front lines.

Taking out their anger on fellow humans than the actual threat and no wonder the planet is getting invaded and they can't fought/win back because they cost countless bickering than actual fighting. Humans will be extinct and its not because some BETA-tan invaded or a disease/virus spreads that can kill in contact. It will be extinct and its because of humans own fault.
I hear you dude. My biggest complaint with the episode is that Yui has done a complete 180 degree turn in how she acts towards Yuuya. The other stuff you mentioned is valid but easier to let slide.
Old 2012-08-20, 02:26   Link #42
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yeah, they may be elite pilots, but they surely didn't act like it. Ah, brats will be brats, I guess.
They need more discipline that's for sure.

At any rate, the beginning of the episode really reminds me of how unpleasant it's like not to have the aptitude to be an Eishi. Man, it sucks to be that guy in the Tank...

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-08-20 at 02:42.
Old 2012-08-20, 03:18   Link #43
Key Board
Carbon

I'm guessing Cryska has a lot of weird mental blocks in her head the prevents her from opposing fellow soldiers

it seems to me that she needs Inia to even function normally. If you so much even disturb it a little, she breaks down as shown in the Beach episode.

but that's what you expect from lab grown Newtypes
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-08-20, 03:29   Link #44
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
They need more discipline that's for sure.

At any rate, the beginning of the episode really reminds me of how unpleasant it's like not to have the aptitude to be an Eishi. Man, it sucks to be that guy in the Tank...
But they had more balls to roll against BETA in armoured vehicles than TSFs.

Tank vs Tank so to speak. T-90s ftw.

And did anyone else notice Stella was reading the Muv-Luv Integral Works at 13:50?

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2012-08-20, 04:02   Link #45
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post
But they had more balls to roll against BETA in armoured vehicles than TSFs.

Tank vs Tank so to speak. T-90s ftw.

And did anyone else notice Stella was reading the Muv-Luv Integral Works at 13:50?
I wish they the land vehicle like *cough*Siege tank/mammoth tank*cough* marauders/Zone enforcers for the average army grunt.

But since this is Muv Luv alternative, which running out of materials and people. not going to happen
Old 2012-08-20, 05:40   Link #46
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I don't know Yui anymore or rather its from the past episode but from this point on I completely forgot that she is the strict type of a commander. She is completely tame now > __ > and stupid brats without discipline and they are in front lines. I fear for the front lines.
Eh, Yui's 'uncompromising strictness' that she's exhibited towards Yuuya has by her own admission, a deliberate act to forcefully accelerate Yuuya's growth and adaptability towards being her image of an 'ideal Japanese test pilot.'

While they weren't untrue, her constant belittling of Yuuya's ability and complete disregard of Yuuya's opinion were clearly not reflective of her entirety.

And during the beach episode, we've seen that she realised that she had indeed went a little too far with the mock combat. So she's probably scaling back, and trying to normalise her position with Yuuya.

That's one point.

The 2nd point is the fact they're actually in the frontlines now. Unlike back at the testing grounds where there are no real risk so-to-speak, BETA-scourged grounds are clearly different.

While Yui may have no problems regarding fighting BETA, she clearly has deep-seated trauma issues about losing comrades/friends in battle, and that's clearly reflected with her entire talk with Yuuya, where aside from talking about technicalities of the weapons development, she clearly wanted to check on his state-of-mind and ensure that during the battle, he prioritizes his survival above everything else.

If she felt too 'dere' & 'tame', my impression was that it was supposed to feel that way, because she herself was unsure how's the best way to handle the situation, thus Yui's sense of extreme awkwardness throughout the entire talk, where it felt like she was choosing her words carefully.

And the suspension bridge effect from the island episode still lingers, obviously.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-08-20, 09:52   Link #47
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
For the Type-99 being unsuitable, this is very true. However, as the intention of the type-99 was to create a weapon usable for all suits, its not so much fitting the suit to the weapon but fitting the weapon to the suit(s). There is a limit on what can be done though, since the type-99 is a 120mm field artillery piece, equivalent in lenght to the Mk.57 support gun, but requiring more supporting equipment and attachments.
Also of note is that this weapon has been in development for many years, since the era of the first generation TSFs, so it would not be surprising that those 1st Gen suits might actually be more suited for this system, being of more rugged built and able to withstand recoil better. It would potentially provide a use for 1st Gen TSFs in the future instead of just phrasing them out.
That makes a lot of sense on the development of the Type-99. My main reason for mentioning it though was that it seemed a bit contradictory for Yui, who was previously involved in creating Japan's "weapon of the future", to then be promoting a vision of the XJF that can not utilize that weapon effectively.

She recognizes that the two systems aren't fully compatible, but she hasn't done anything to make the XJF Shiranui more compatible with the 99. If anything, she has pushed a design philosophy that makes the 99-XJF pairing less effective as an integrated weapons system.

If the 99 were intended to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I hear you dude. My biggest complaint with the episode is that Yui has done a complete 180 degree turn in how she acts towards Yuuya.
As much as I hated Yui's transformation during the beach episode, I don't think it's fair to place all "blame" for the changed interactions with Yuuya on her. After all, its clear that Yuuya now sees Yui as a person, and not just a "Japanese doll." His wall towards her is crumbling as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Eh, Yui's 'uncompromising strictness' that she's exhibited towards Yuuya has by her own admission, a deliberate act to forcefully accelerate Yuuya's growth and adaptability towards being her image of an 'ideal Japanese test pilot.'

While they weren't untrue, her constant belittling of Yuuya's ability and complete disregard of Yuuya's opinion were clearly not reflective of her entirety.

And during the beach episode, we've seen that she realised that she had indeed went a little too far with the mock combat. So she's probably scaling back, and trying to normalise her position with Yuuya.

That's one point.

The 2nd point is the fact they're actually in the frontlines now. Unlike back at the testing grounds where there are no real risk so-to-speak, BETA-scourged grounds are clearly different.

Good points. What I also liked about this episode was that Yui and Yuuya interacted like professional soldiers should, without any of the school girl/boy blushing and teen angst that plagued the beach episodes. It's probably inevitable that Yui's schoolgirl crush will return and Yuuya will revert to schoolboy cluelessness, but this was a nice moment of the characters acting their ages.
Old 2012-08-20, 10:50   Link #48
kari-no-sugata

Banished from beach "heaven", RL returns to bite... and nomnom. In the Muv-Luv universe, "cannon fodder" seems to be an unfortunately appropriate word.

Not much else to say that hasn't been said already, but for once it felt like Yui actually has a real job this episode, which was nice. I thought the "didn't bail-out vs couldn't bail-out" scene was a nice touch, pointing out some realistic practical downsides to melee combat.

[edit] Forgot to add: in the subs I saw there's a small but glaring error towards the end of the "8 minutes of death" discussion. The sub had it as Yuuya saying "So I wont underestimate real combat. I won't doubt the data" when he's really saying "I definitely won't underestimate real combat, [with] the BETA" (the translator seems to have heard "beta" as "data"). This is just a FYI to viewers and not a complaint - mistakes will happen.

Talking of RL biting, I probably wont be able to watch any anime for the next month or so. Wonder what I'll download first when I get back...

Last edited by kari-no-sugata; 2012-08-20 at 11:02.
Old 2012-08-20, 12:52   Link #49
maximilianjenus
[E]

damn, cryska is so useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Other than that not much really happened. I've pretty much lost all hope of the show ever gaining anything resembling consistent animation, art, storyboarding and direction though. This will almost certainly be the last time I ever watch a show by Satelight for this reason as they are just becoming beyond brutal in this area and consistently show from show to show. Unnacceptable for a mecha show in the year 2012, and I can only imagine what Muv-Luv fans are saying over in Japan.
expect to see some improvement after episode 10, they "fired" the director for a reason.
Old 2012-08-20, 16:11   Link #50
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I'm guessing Cryska has a lot of weird mental blocks in her head the prevents her from opposing fellow soldiers

it seems to me that she needs Inia to even function normally. If you so much even disturb it a little, she breaks down as shown in the Beach episode.

but that's what you expect from lab grown Newtypes
Maybe it was neg feedback. It looked like she got a shock. She is always wearing that headgear. Inia didn't fight either. As soldiers, they should have gotten some self-defense training.
Old 2012-08-20, 17:26   Link #51
maximilianjenus
[E]

Maybe they just don't mind being raped ?
Old 2012-08-20, 18:52   Link #52
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
Maybe they just don't mind being raped ?
I don't think Inia took too kindly to the prospect, so no.
Old 2012-08-20, 19:22   Link #53
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

The highlight of the episode: Yui had so much fun talking to Yuuya that she forgot her orders to have a meeting ^^.
Old 2012-08-20, 21:33   Link #54
Maximillionus
Hoping in for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
damn, cryska is so useless.

expect to see some improvement after episode 10, they "fired" the director for a reason.
Besides are coincidental names I am glad to have read they fired the director =)

Themes and plot development are developing slowly, which by no means the plot would be tarnished but it gets a little silly with how the characters are towards one another (btw my favorite is the swedish big breasted angel, if she dies I will cry =(.

I think its very realistic that the countries are all developing their own types of robots to counter the beta but this seems pretty far fetched concepts of top secret weapons they don't want others to know about. This seems like a bad mix of patriotism and selfishness since the beta should be their only enemies and not one another. They should be united and if only someone could do that...(woops did i give away the ending for Yuuya).

I expected by now to know some more knowledge about the beta, the different kinds, weaknesses, and how the fuck they keep repopulating themselves out of nowhere and btw how the fuck were they able to travel from the moon to earth. I'm not expecting things to be realistic. Also how were there so many beta's on the moon to begin with. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for these things to even exist. The design and animation for the Beta seem pretty early 2000 craptacular drawed. The monsters in Inuyasha are better than the beta and last time i checked it was 2012, come on, they can do better than this (i hope).

This series is like a bad mix between pre Blue Gender (anime series and movie) and Starship Troopers (movie's).

I'll still watch it though after all that's been written
Old 2012-08-20, 22:06   Link #55
DoomRavager

Then there's a weakness in the source material, since the source material didn't have to explain anything about the BETA at all as it was all explained in the original game. Combined with how humanity doesn't know much about the BETA themselves either besides what the different classes are, how to fight them and what their Hives look like.
Old 2012-08-20, 23:35   Link #56
raziel16

Forget about the strictness, Yuyaa already has Yui in his grasp, he just didn't relized it yet

.. and Cryska has some serious migraine problem
Old 2012-08-21, 00:24   Link #57
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The highlight of the episode: Yui had so much fun talking to Yuuya that she forgot her orders to have a meeting ^^.
It's a gooddevelopment... definitely... Having a reason to live (a love one) is the best reason to live....

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-08-21 at 00:54.
Old 2012-08-21, 00:51   Link #58
n0m@n
C-Z

Man those filthy kids trying to rape the loli.....
They raised their death flag and Im sure going to enjoy seeing them being eaten alive by the BETA.
Old 2012-08-21, 00:55   Link #59
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
Man those filthy kids trying to rape the loli.....
They raised their death flag and Im sure going to enjoy seeing them being eaten alive by the BETA.
That would be so.... good. I want to see the screaming to their deaths.
Old 2012-08-21, 02:02   Link #60
Destined_Fate

Pretty messed up kids so full of hate. Though from what they said it seems a lot of those there engage in rape and that this isn't the first time thy went after girls and had them tied up for rape... Or that this isn't the first time they raped girls for that matter and haven't been punished at all. Poor Cryska was almost ganged up on and Inia left to that one guy. Yuuya was also screwed until their Commander showed up and hauled the kids off.

Seems like they were set up to be hated and to die in he next episode except Tasha and the Commander.

At least Yui and Yuuya are starting to understand each other though and that Yui apologized to Yuuya.
Closed Thread