AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-24, 15:50   Link #25901
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Ugh...this whole euro-sceptic nonsense is so annoying. Maybe we do need need a referendum so people can finally see some sense when it comes down to it, but I really hope we stay in the EU.
Old 2013-01-24, 16:23   Link #25902
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
if the EU's economy was strong but how much sense does it make cut your hand off so you would have something to throw at someone. when you are already in weaken state?
The EU economy is strong whether people like it or not, the sole reason we are considered as shit is because we do not talk in unisson. Thanks to the european themselves, we dig our own grave on this.

That's why china takes advantages of it by baiting germany and gaining technology transfer, actually even worse we can't even make a parasite country like switzerland bend on some regulations.
Old 2013-01-24, 16:57   Link #25903
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
My guess is that the Irish republic would stand a good chance to build their own 'special relationship' with the US as the only remaining native English speakers in the EU, and probably benefit from more foreign investment.
Why do you think we are about to make John Kerry Secretary of State? It's a conspiracy!
Old 2013-01-24, 17:11   Link #25904
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It's a conspiracy!
"Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States."
Old 2013-01-24, 17:14   Link #25905
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
"Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States."
Ah, yes. The regional balkanization of the Internet thanks to "copyright" and regional price points.
Old 2013-01-24, 17:17   Link #25906
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
The EU economy is strong whether people like it or not, the sole reason we are considered as shit is because we do not talk in unisson. Thanks to the european themselves, we dig our own grave on this.

That's why china takes advantages of it by baiting germany and gaining technology transfer, actually even worse we can't even make a parasite country like switzerland bend on some regulations.
if the EU economy is strong, the Brits wouldn't be talking about leaving.
Old 2013-01-24, 17:20   Link #25907
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
See, It is a conspiracy!
Old 2013-01-24, 18:25   Link #25908
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Especially when the likes of Spain, Greece and Italy (with all due respect) are really incapable of helping themselves at all despite all the years spent within the union. Seriously, it's because of some long-time members of the EU like those that the economy in Europe is a big mess.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:26   Link #25909
Bri

Quote:
Considering that the financial sector played Russian roulette and lost, the real economy in the EU held up fairly well. It helps that most large member states still actually have a solid manufacturing base. It's the tourism/financial service economies that took the worst hits.

What scared UK politicians was the Euro-crisis. There are concerns about future income transfers from North to South. In addition the independent quantitative easing, made possible by the pound sterling, saved the UK from a likely hammering by the financial markets given it's public finances which are in a worse state than those of most of the PIIGS.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:45   Link #25910
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

To be fair to the brits, if I had to choose between the USA and Europe right now, I'd probably choose the USA. At least the USA has work.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:47   Link #25911
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
The ones who will stand to lose out are is the UK working/middle class, they will be stripped of labor market protection measures, unemployment benefits, minimum wages and job security as the conservatives want a US style economy.
Then England (sans Scotland and Ireland) could go ahead and become 51st state of the USA
Old 2013-01-24, 18:52   Link #25912
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think they'd rather like to have their colonies back under the crown. Considering the treatment we gave the young royals after their wedding, we seem geared for it.
Old 2013-01-24, 18:55   Link #25913
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
To be fair to the brits, if I had to choose between the USA and Europe right now, I'd probably choose the USA. At least the USA has work.
Depends per (member) state and your line of work really. Most of the east and west coast have similar unemployment rates to continental Europe. You're probably best of in Germany or the mid west.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:05   Link #25914
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I think they'd rather like to have their colonies back under the crown. Considering the treatment we gave the young royals after their wedding, we seem geared for it.
That would be the hook "Get rid of the monarchy, become as prosperous as the colonies (and get american style health care and services, nyack, nyack, nyack). At least last time I heard the royals aren't very popular between the commoners.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:14   Link #25915
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Especially when the likes of Spain, Greece and Italy (with all due respect) are really incapable of helping themselves at all despite all the years spent within the union. Seriously, it's because of some long-time members of the EU like those that the economy in Europe is a big mess.
I think that's a bit unfair towards these countries. The economic crisis of 2008 has mainly been caused by excessive risk-taking and fraud by banks and other financials. It's true that Greece has cooked the books and has been burned for it, but most others are just victims of circumstance.

In comparison places like Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi have been a mess for over two centuries yet haven't dragged the economy down.
Old 2013-01-24, 19:17   Link #25916
Zakoo

English are free of their own destiny if they want to leave European Union, they have the absolute right to do so as a democratic and souvereign country.

But holy, may they do it quickly, we lost some damn dozens of years because of their "yeah we want economic freedom but if you touch to our national rights gtfo", China ans US aren't waiting EU in this economical war.

Quote:
There's no if possible. Ask Japan if they want a free trade union with china and you will quickly get the answer. Should this day come, I really hope you won't tell me " Why aren't they joining with the first economical superpower"
Old 2013-01-24, 19:27   Link #25917
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama picks former federal prosecutor as SEC boss
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90N0M120130124
Old 2013-01-24, 20:08   Link #25918
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Depends per (member) state and your line of work really. Most of the east and west coast have similar unemployment rates to continental Europe. You're probably best of in Germany or the mid west.
As I see it, Germany(and the Netherland and Scandinavia) is the only functioning part of the EU, and even then it might only be functioning at the expense of the rest of the EU (the shared currency keep their exports artificially cheap).

Further to that, I don't think it's necessarily wrong for the UK to oppose further integration. The EU works well because we are both separate and united. Though I disagree with the British government over financial regulation, but on the flip side I'm not too sure if the EU would do such a good job of regulating banks. After all, it was German banks that recklessly lent money into Ireland's property bubble. They seem as idiotic as everyone else.

I think the current level of EU integration is roughly fine. The EU contains very diverse cultures and values, and to get any kind of unified democratic culture would be impossible. The conservative parties in Ireland have very little in common with the conservative parties in Spain, or the conservative parties in Poland, and they could never feasibly function in any kind of coalition. The politics of an EU superstate would be like an even worse form of Belgium or Israel, with 100 different parties and none of them of a large enough size to have a mandate to lead.
Old 2013-01-24, 20:42   Link #25919
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Choose your state wisely. There is huge variation in quality of life and availability of work and it isn't the same answer depending on the skill sets. The entire country of Ireland pretty much fits in the Portland, Oregon metro region.
Old 2013-01-24, 21:00   Link #25920
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Come to Canada! Oh.. Canada~

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international