Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-03, 01:42   Link #1
slovadon
N00B?

Send a message via MSN to slovadon
Suggestions for the sci-fi fan

Hey, I recently discovered fan subs and think that they're just awesome! The only problem is that I don't know a thing about unlicenced anime. If you could give me some titles I'd love it. Some anime I really like would include: Jin Roh, Princess Mononoke (and anything by Miyazaki for that matter), Patlabor, Generator Gawl, Trigun (my favorite series), and Fruit's Basket. That's kind of a variety but pretty much I like sci-fi that's not over acted. I also like anime that is over acted to the extent that it's as a parody (like Trigun and Fruit's Basket.) Any suggestions would be awesome!
Old 2004-08-03, 02:31   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

For current unlicensed series, you can try Soukyuu no Fafner, Macross Zero.

for over acted parody, nothing beats Keroro Gunso
Old 2004-08-03, 13:50   Link #3
sothis

(erm, note.. it wasn't supposed to show up as a reply to the poster above, i hit the wrong reply button there .. this is meant towards the original poster)

since you listed titles that are licensed, and since the best sci fi things i know of are licensed, i'm going to list those. sci fi is my favorite, so i have some good suggestions

click any of the links for a description/screenshots/review

Stellvia of the Universe

Infinite Ryvius

They Were Eleven

Twin Spica (unlicensed)

Silent Mobius

Blue Gender

GunBuster

Kiddy Grade

Vandread (and 2nd stage)

Archetypes Forces

URDA

Hoshi no Koe

if i had to pick a few that i think are the "best", it would be difficult. i'd have to say gunbuster, blue gender, hoshi no koe, and stellvia. though seriously, i like all of the above pretty much the same.
Old 2004-08-03, 18:29   Link #4
7thMethuselah

A couple of great SciFi series are

Stellvia of the Universe : A very optimistic space anime where humanity as a whole tries to fight a common threath. This threath is (for a change) not some alien invasion but a natural space phenomenon. The show follows a group of friends that are in some kinda space academy as the event unroll. An awesome series in my opinion.

Ghost in the Shell : Stand-Alone Complex : Not a clasical space SciFi series but a show set in a highly technolised world a few decades in the future. in this world technology and biology have merged and almost all people have cybernetic implants. The series deals with a government agency investigating crimes connected to this biotechnology, things like brain hackers and stuff. The setting in GitS are amazing and it sketches a possibly realistic future for our world. Don't miss out on this one.

Planetes : A true classic SciFi genre about space exploration. The beauty of this anime is it's realism, no aliens, no freaky technology, no unexplainable space phenomenons, nope, this is the real thing, space exploration in the late 21st century the way it will likely be. A great (but I feel overlooked) show.
Old 2004-08-04, 13:54   Link #5
Willmatic

Send a message via AIM to Willmatic
RahXephon The almighty RahXephon. I was very fortune to watch this anime before Neon Genesis. I don't care what anyone says Rah is better than Neon. You gotta watch this anime along with the movie that came out recently.
Closed Thread